• Page

of 288 First / Last

• YenRug 6 May 2014 14:11:19 2,108 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    YenRug wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Another filler episode, I get the reasoning behind establishing the whys and wherefores while budgeting for the grand finale but I just wish it wasn't so dull.
    Hate to point this out, but the show is called "GAME of THRONES", not "LOTS AND LOTS OF SWORDS TO THE HEAD/GUTS".

It's all about the intrigue, machinations and maneuvering (both physical and mental) involving the key players of "THE GAME". If the season consisted of 10 episodes purely of people being butchered, you would eventually have people asking, "But, why?"

I'm not saying that it's not long-winded, mayhap even boring, but you're complaining about the core concept of the show, the battle sequences (big and small) are purely the decoration on the top of the cake. If you've licked off the icing and decided to leave the cake, then maybe it's not the cake for you.
    Stop being precious about it, it's a TV show and it's meant to have entertainment value. Without exception, these establishing episodes have almost no substance beyond explaining where people are and it's frankly dull.
    Again, completely missing the point, your expectations vs reality are not matching up; it's not being "precious" about it, it's liking it for what it actually is. It's repeated pretty often in these sorts of threads, but if you don't like what the show is then why are you watching it?

I'm not saying you can't make complaints, nor that the show can't be boring at times, but if you constantly expect something else from the show other than what it's only ever going to be, you're only ever going to be disappointed in it.
  • Baihu1983 6 May 2014 14:14:29 3,380 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    DiddlerDo wrote:
    I've completely forgoten about Ricken...?
    Sent to the Umbers with Osha towards the end of season three.

You might remember GreatJon Umber from season one? He was one of Robbs men lost a finger to Greywind when he threatened Robb. Also the one who declared Robb as The King of the North.

He just sort of vanished after season one sadly.

Edited by Baihu1983 at 14:15:12 06-05-2014
  • Kichijoten 6 May 2014 14:16:05 1,102 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Another good episode AND there were no naked women for once. Just when I was thinking to myself there had been no naked women or rape in it but it had to ruin it by having them try and rape the girl near the end of the episode!!!! zzz.
  • CosmicFuzz 6 May 2014 14:20:30 23,778 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    DiddlerDo wrote:

You might remember GreatJon Umber from season one? He was one of Robbs men lost a finger to Greywind when he threatened Robb. Also the one who declared Robb as The King of the North.

Is the actor not dead? Or am I making that up?

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• geeza2020 6 May 2014 14:21:12 1,886 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    YenRug wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Another filler episode, I get the reasoning behind establishing the whys and wherefores while budgeting for the grand finale but I just wish it wasn't so dull.
    Hate to point this out, but the show is called "GAME of THRONES", not "LOTS AND LOTS OF SWORDS TO THE HEAD/GUTS".

It's all about the intrigue, machinations and maneuvering (both physical and mental) involving the key players of "THE GAME". If the season consisted of 10 episodes purely of people being butchered, you would eventually have people asking, "But, why?"

I'm not saying that it's not long-winded, mayhap even boring, but you're complaining about the core concept of the show, the battle sequences (big and small) are purely the decoration on the top of the cake. If you've licked off the icing and decided to leave the cake, then maybe it's not the cake for you.
    Stop being precious about it, it's a TV show and it's meant to have entertainment value. Without exception, these establishing episodes have almost no substance beyond explaining where people are and it's frankly dull.
    If it's so dull, you could just wait for the finale episode and just watch that...
  • Reacher 6 May 2014 14:24:10 791 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You should see him in Love/Hate... very Irish.

Very good also.
  • Baihu1983 6 May 2014 14:24:18 3,380 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    DiddlerDo wrote:

Clive Mantle is alive. Couldn't come back for season two and wasn't asked back for three.
  • GiarcYekrub 6 May 2014 14:26:03 3,722 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    DiddlerDo wrote:

It's that guy from Casualty isn't it? I think he got his ear bitten off in a the Newcastle Travelodge No ear, but not guilty
  • Baihu1983 6 May 2014 17:29:29 3,380 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Them viewing numbers....

The viewership numbers are in for this week’s Game of Thrones episode, and they were well worth the wait. TV By The Numbers is reporting that the initial airing of “First of His Name” was seen by 7.155 million, while James Hibberd adds that by the end of the night that number rose to 8.6 million. This easily breaks last week’s record of 6.9 million, and of course marks the first time Game of Thrones has crossed the 7 million mark!

Hibberd also reports that Game of Thrones Season 4 is averaging 17.8 million viewers across all platforms, up 25 percent from last year. Expect a follow up on all things numbers for the first half of Season 4 from Hear Me Roar.
    http://winteriscoming.net/2014/05/06/game-thrones-crosses-7-million-mark-record-ratings-first-name/
  • Great_Googly_Moogly 6 May 2014 19:11:06 680 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I only noticed the Jon Arryn thing, as i have literally just started reading the first book (book wanker ahoy!) where rob and ned are talking about Him in crypt and what to with the Eyrie.

So it nice to have some sort of instant pay off.

PSN: Cloudsheaven
    NNID: Notnits_85
    www.joelstinton.wordpress.com

• Salaman 7 May 2014 14:59:10 18,953 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Darren wrote:
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Lysa seemed to be like one of those horrible women that blames their daughters when their new paedophile boyfriend interferes with them.

Let alone the husband murdering.
    And she still breasts feeds her teenage son! If that doesn't tell you how disturbed she is then I don't know what does!
    How is that kid teenager? You could call Bran a teenager, even though he's supposed to be lots younger. (I find that actor aging so quickly has ruined any Bran scene for me)
    Lysa's kid is just a kid though surely. I've got him in mind as a 6 or 7 year old.
    Well past breast feeding age of course but hey.
  • Salaman 7 May 2014 15:05:44 18,953 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DiddlerDo wrote:
    kinky_mong wrote:
    ubergine wrote:
    Hm, Lysa murdering Jon Arryn at Littlefinger's prompting HAS gone rather unremarked.
    Funnily enough I completely missed this until a book reading friend mentioned "Wow, massive plot event in this episode!" to me afterwards. I imagine many other people missed this too as they can't remember who Jon Arryn is due to him never appearing alive on screen, rarely being mentioned after series 1, and Lysa not appearing since series 1 either.
    It was a holy shit! Moment for us and the missus completely missed it until I rewound it. He also looks directly at the camera after the reveal which is awesome. Proper forth wall breaking as he just revealed being the most important fucker in the whole show.
    Yeah I can see how that goes unnoticed. She starts going on about putting the drops in Jon's drink (tea?) and whilst you're thinking "Who's Jon again, then?" he kisses her to shut her up and the moment is gone.
  • PazJohnMitch 7 May 2014 15:07:41 7,965 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    According to the Wiki Robin Arryn is 11 in season 4.
  • nickthegun 7 May 2014 15:08:27 59,365 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I know it was a long time ago, but it was repeatedly stated in the first series that this one thing, basically, led to the war of kings, so it wasnt that obscure a reference.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Salaman 7 May 2014 15:16:38 18,953 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    According to the Wiki Robin Arryn is 11 in season 4.
    They should have him play Bran from now on and vice versa then. :-)
  • nickthegun 7 May 2014 15:30:51 59,365 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Puberty really hit Bran with a bat. That middle aged womans haircut they have stuck him with doesnt help either.

He totally called it

• Salaman 7 May 2014 15:50:18 18,953 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I know it was a long time ago, but it was repeatedly stated in the first series that this one thing, basically, led to the war of kings, so it wasnt that obscure a reference.
    Didn't Robert Baratheon dying lead to the war of kings?
  • Deckard1 7 May 2014 15:56:11 27,604 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bran is properly hideous now. I hate his stupid face.

Hush you ponce

• Deleted user 7 May 2014 16:09:03
    My book-reading friend told me that GRRM thinks that having the children be older (aka like in the series) would've been better in hindsight.
  • nickthegun 7 May 2014 16:23:20 59,365 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Didn't Robert Baratheon dying lead to the war of kings?
    He was killed because he realised all of roberts 'legitimate' kids were bastards. Ned takes up the reigns and gets himself killed, dragging Robb into the war.

The other two join because Ned spreads what he found out about Robert having no proper heirs.

He totally called it

• Deckard1 7 May 2014 16:58:41 27,604 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    What happened to that bastard heir kid who was with the little girl for a bit?

Hush you ponce

• PazJohnMitch 7 May 2014 16:59:40 7,965 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ned did not spread it. He idiotically told Cersei he knew in confidence. A scene by a lake I think.

It was Stannis who told everyone. He came to the same conclusion as Ned. (Not sure if his realisation was also originally due to Jon Arryn or independent).
  • twelveways 7 May 2014 17:00:12 3,958 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Didn't he go off with Dennis Pennis or become a baker or something?

Edited by twelveways at 17:02:05 07-05-2014
  • PazJohnMitch 7 May 2014 17:01:55 7,965 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Didn't he join Dongarion as a blacksmith? (The guy who Thoros keeps bringing back from the dead).
  • Darknight 7 May 2014 17:05:10 297 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch Ned sent a raven to Stannis saying what he suspected, because Ned thought because all of Roberts kids were Jaime Lannisters that Stannis was the true heir.

I remember Stannis saying something along the lines of "Eddard only told me and got killed. I'm not going to make the same mistake" early in season 2.
  • MatMan562 7 May 2014 17:05:57 2,372 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    No, he was taken by the Red Woman and then set free by... someone... Davos? The dude who's learning to read who's with Stannis. Think he was put in a boat and told how to get to King's Landing.

Edit: Robert's bastard child I mean.

Edited by MatMan562 at 17:06:58 07-05-2014

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• nickthegun 7 May 2014 17:06:21 59,365 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Ned did not spread it. He idiotically told Cersei he knew in confidence. A scene by a lake I think.

It was Stannis who told everyone. He came to the same conclusion as Ned. (Not sure if his realisation was also originally due to Jon Arryn or independent).
    Didnt he tell stannis by bird or some shit?

Regardless... the poisoning was the catalyst for the whole thing.

He totally called it

• PazJohnMitch 7 May 2014 17:06:38 7,965 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That rings a bell.
  • Darknight 7 May 2014 17:07:50 297 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Didn't he join Dongarion as a blacksmith? (The guy who Thoros keeps bringing back from the dead).
    And then got sold to the fire witch who is with Stannis. She used his blood to curse Robb, Joffrey and someone else whos name I didn't recognise, and then he was set free by the onion knight.
  • Deckard1 7 May 2014 17:12:23 27,604 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There's a fucking onion king?!

Hush you ponce

• Page

of 288 First / Last