Game of Thrones (HBO TV SERIES) @ U.S. Pace - NO BOOK SPOILERS! Page 123

• Page

of 288 First / Last

• President_Weasel 22 Apr 2013 23:46:54 8,986 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    @RyanDS

I haven't read any of the books but the casting in GoT is just superb, I can't think of any that irritate me for the wrong reasons.

Of course, being a rather British/European centric cast really helps. This just wouldn't work if it were full of American actors.
    The mighty Dinklage is American. If they'd gone the Full English on the casting we'd have Warwick "I was in two Star Wars films, you know" Davis manfully trying his best and failing. To be fair though that's the only example I can think of in the whole cast, so your point's entirely valid. They've got a Danish actor for Jaime, a Dutch one for the Red Lady, and a whole slew of Brits - excellent Brits. Charles Dance! How amazing must it be, as a casting director, to be able to go "we need a suave self-possessed ice-hearted bastard for this role, a real Charles Dance type - let's give Charles Dance a call".
    I'm so glad they had a casting director who could make the most of having a series that some proper actors wanted to be in. No stunt casting, no famous names slumming it for the money, pretty much every single actor in it is really well cast. Even Joffrey and Sansa are annoying because the characters are annoying, not because the actors are shit.

There's not even a single Nick Sobotka shitting everything up - although the new Skinny Mountain isn't scary, just tall. Luckily we've only seen about ten seconds of him.

Edited by President_Weasel at 23:47:44 22-04-2013
  • B0rked_Gamer 22 Apr 2013 23:55:07 2,487 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Great episode, very satisfying indeed.
  • Deleted user 23 April 2013 00:00:24
    Superb episode. Hung of every line wanting more. Glorious. Olenna or what ever her name is (natalie dormer mother) was great with testeless dude.

Talking of natalie dormer (joins back of que) she really reminds me of someone i know as well. I couldn't work it out for a while , i though i may have even met in passing or something but it clicked.

The only thing i was a bit lost on was the dog and what he was doing for whom and why and that. have to read that bit up.
  • Orange 23 Apr 2013 01:49:28 4,672 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Varys calmly taking home delivery of a sorcerer like it was from Amazon :D
  • Mola_Ram 23 Apr 2013 02:42:29 7,003 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Good that the last page got moved past fairly quickly! Spoilers are not cool.

Anyway, I just watched it again. Still loved pretty much every thread except for Bran's. Poor kid doesn't get to do anything.
  • Tonka 23 Apr 2013 06:27:43 20,028 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wow, they crammed a lot into that show. And so much of what I like, Eunuch and Vertically challenged guy scheming, marry men pretending they're the Dark Brotherhood, silly prats north of the wall getting shafted (I'm seriously tired of the Black Guard, they break the suspension of disbelief for me so it's always nice when some of them bite the dust)

And best of all, Joffrey being Joffrey with a little sugar on top.

The fact that Dragon Mother behaved like we all thought she would was good too. I was really annoyed with the slave trader and his throat clearing.

The only negative is that "Ironborn" bore and his whining. I'm so tired of hm that I don't even care what's going on with that story arc. OBVIOUSLY there's a mystery there that I should try and figure out. But all I think is "Kill him ffs and be done with it"

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Baihu1983 23 Apr 2013 06:46:01 3,314 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thought they nailed the Dragon scene, Shame they gave it away for non book readers in all the trailers.
  • BillMurray 23 Apr 2013 07:36:36 7,624 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Also, lol@Theon.
  • Maturin 23 Apr 2013 08:23:45 2,892 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Excellent episode, perhaps the best so far. They really did manage to cram a lot into that episode. So many good moments:

* Jaime becoming almost sympathetic
    * Arya and the Hound
    * Margaery Tyrell's brilliant manipulation of Joffrey and Sansa
    * Poor Sansa clinging to hope
    * Varys telling his story while opening the crate, beautifully directed and acted scene
    * Tywin Lannister owning the whole show while sat at his desk
    * Theon admitting that he saw Ned as his father
    * Lady Olenna scheming with Varys
    * More on the Pod is sex god story :)
    * DRAGONS

/joins Natalie Dormer queue

Edited by Maturin at 08:25:59 23-04-2013
  • Shikasama 23 Apr 2013 08:30:48 6,637 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I wonder how many people remember who Berric Dondarion was. I was surprised the clip of Ned sending him after Gregor wasn't included in the 'Previously...' bit.
  • Tonka 23 Apr 2013 08:42:45 20,028 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    A friend of mine who used to play Dungeons and Dragons has a theory that Pod has a silver tongue and a fondness for brown 'tashes. This is the cousin of the guy with the hung like a horse theory so I wouldn't be surprised if this is debunked in the coming episode.

Maybe Pod is just a nice guy.

• ascue 23 Apr 2013 08:50:07 167 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    A silve tongue and fondness for brown 'tashes?

Oooohhhhhhh.

I got you.

/taps nose
  • varsas 23 Apr 2013 09:38:12 2,401 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I thought that was an excellent episode and the best this season.

Shikasama wrote:
    I wonder how many people remember who Berric Dondarion was. I was surprised the clip of Ned sending him after Gregor wasn't included in the 'Previously...' bit.
    According to comments on the Guardian blog the actor was changed since it's more than a bit part now and so a 'Previously...' appearance would have been confusing!
  • twelveways 23 Apr 2013 10:16:47 3,874 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • M83J01P97 23 Apr 2013 10:23:25 6,553 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah that's the only bit which confused me last night, are we meant to know who the eye patch guy is already? There was sort of a build up to it and dramatic music indicating he was someone important...
  • varsas 23 Apr 2013 10:25:32 2,401 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    twelveways wrote:
    Who is Berric Dondarion?
    I think the one with the patch and the leader of the Brothers without Banners? As he said he was sent by Ned Stark to stop the Mountain in season 1 and I vaguely remember that...
  • Tonka 23 Apr 2013 10:27:00 20,028 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ascue wrote:
    A silve tongue and fondness for brown 'tashes?

Oooohhhhhhh.

I got you.

/taps nose
    You might want to pinch it actually.

• Mr-Brett 23 Apr 2013 10:28:28 12,723 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't think it's crossing the 'book twat' line to say that I think Dondarrion will be explained next week.

Portable view - Never forget.

• twelveways 23 Apr 2013 10:31:01 3,874 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Who are the guys who have taken Jamie prisoner?
  • President_Weasel 23 Apr 2013 10:37:19 8,986 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    twelveways wrote:
    Who are the guys who have taken Jamie prisoner?
    I *think* they're a particularly dickish band of Wolves. (In the b**k they were a particularly dickish band of mercs who'd changed sides a couple of times, but we're talking about the show). They're not Lannister men, since Jaime tried to get them to sell him to his father, and the beardy bloke said something about "enough money to buy me a new head".
    I think they work for Bolton? Or did they work for that lord whose men all deserted the other week?
  • twelveways 23 Apr 2013 10:39:17 3,874 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    thanks that's what I thought, so where are they taking them?
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 23 Apr 2013 10:53:29 2,431 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I thought when they captured Jaime and Brianne they said they were taking them to Robb. BUt they've taken them to Berric as they are Brotherhood. What Berric plans to do is anyone's guess (apart from try to kill the Hound in a trial by combat) as he and the brotherhood have no loyalty to anyone but the realm.
    Just watched it again and have to say it is by far the best episode so far. Just to reiterate what everyone else has said: Ser Jorah doesnt say a word but is such a good actor he doesnt have to, Tywin stole the show from behind a desk and Dany fucked everyone up the ass. I get the feeling Brans story wont be good until he reaches the Wall (I assume he's still going that way?). I've turned a little towards Cersei after beginning series 1 again with the wife and re watching 'And Now His Watch Has Ended'. She is a fairly good character if you understand where she's coming from.

Only problem is now, I'm watching series one again (we're up to episode 3), plus keeping up with series 3 and reading the books, with which I'm about up to halfway thru series one (Catlyn has just arrived at the Eryie with Tyrion Lannister captive).
    Means I'm having to rewatch seris 3 episodes just to make sure I don't lose track.

You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Ghandi

• Psychotext 23 Apr 2013 11:00:35 53,855 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Reading this thread I've realised just how few of the character's names I know. The two I know for sure are Jaime Lannister and Little Finger... and past that it basically goes:

That blonde bird with the dragons.
    That knight guy.
    The imp.
    The little psycho king.
    The girlboy.
    The fat fuck.
    The cripple kid.
    That burnt face dog guy.
    The stark princess.
    The old Lannister.
    The whiny woman Lannister.
    That firey bird who births smoke.
    etc...

I should really pay more attention. :D
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 23 Apr 2013 11:08:29 2,431 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That blonde bird with the dragons. - Dany/ Daenerys Targaryen/ Khaleesi
    That knight guy. - ? Danys servant/knight? He's Ser Jorah Mormont
    The imp. - Tyrion Lannister
    The little psycho king. Joffrey Baratheon
    The girlboy. - Arya Stark/ Arry.
    The fat fuck. - Sam
    The cripple kid. - Bran(don) Stark
    That burnt face dog guy. - The Hound/ Sandor Clegane
    The stark princess. - Sansa Stark
    The old Lannister. - Tywin Lannister
    The whiny woman Lannister. - Cersei Lannister
    That firey bird who births smoke. - Melisnadre

Edited by Daddy-Doom-Bar at 11:09:01 23-04-2013

Edited by Daddy-Doom-Bar at 11:10:08 23-04-2013

You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Ghandi

• Psychotext 23 Apr 2013 11:26:57 53,855 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    100% (I think). :D
  • PazJohnMitch 23 Apr 2013 11:27:36 7,836 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Watched the first episode of season 3 on Chinese HBO. I think it had been censored as a few scenes made no sense and the only tit on screen was Joffrey.
  • Tonka 23 Apr 2013 11:29:15 20,028 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The fat fuck could be the Eunuch (who's name I have to look up all the time)

Then there's

Whiny McWhinister
    The fat fuck north of the wall
    The old fart who was the greatest fighter in Wästerås
    The Imps hired gun
    The Old Grump north of the wall
    The "bad" guy north of the wall
    The girl who's in the same scenes as Jon Snow

• Psychotext 23 Apr 2013 11:31:44 53,855 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's Dickless McShinyhead
  • varsas 23 Apr 2013 11:34:49 2,401 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Daddy-Doom-Bar wrote:
    I thought when they captured Jaime and Brianne they said they were taking them to Robb. BUt they've taken them to Berric as they are Brotherhood. What Berric plans to do is anyone's guess (apart from try to kill the Hound in a trial by combat) as he and the brotherhood have no loyalty to anyone but the realm.
    Eh?!? I think they are still headed to Robb...
  • PazJohnMitch 23 Apr 2013 11:40:05 7,836 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    That's Dickless McShinyhead
    Varys?
  • Page

of 288 First / Last