Game of Thrones (HBO TV SERIES) @ U.S. Pace - NO BOOK SPOILERS! Page 101

• Page

of 288 First / Last

• Tonka 5 Jun 2012 10:18:05 20,546 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Salaman Yeah that bit didn't make sense to me so maybe I got it wrong. I could have sworn he said something along those lines after his Ninja dive from the mountaintop.

The Man has learned how to change name BITCH! The Red god can't touch this! HAMMERTIME!

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• TOOTR 5 Jun 2012 10:25:11 9,589 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    The more I think about it the sadder I am that The Man is replaced.
    Do you guys think an on-line petition could help?
    Absolutely. It's success will only be second to that of bring back Ned Stark ;)

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• YenooR 5 Jun 2012 10:30:28 533 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just a quick question, after watching the first two seasons would it be possible to start reading book 3 without reading 1 and 2?
  • TOOTR 5 Jun 2012 10:30:44 9,589 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    @Salaman Yeah that bit didn't make sense to me so maybe I got it wrong. I could have sworn he said something along those lines after his Ninja dive from the mountaintop.

The Man has learned how to change name BITCH! The Red god can't touch this! HAMMERTIME!
    In Season One Robert wanted Danneareys killed and Varys hired the 'Faceless men' to kill her. Then cancelled the contract afterwards. They are Assasins.

They have not been known to wear huge baggy trousers and scream out 'Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'EM' but I wouldn't put it past them if it gets the job done.

Edited by TOOTR at 10:32:03 05-06-2012

• Salaman 5 Jun 2012 10:31:45 19,131 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't recall in detail but I think he said to Arya that she has many names on her lips "Cersie, the hound, etc" and she could offer them to the red god (as he does his victims).

Edited by Salaman at 08:44:32 06-06-2012
  • TOOTR 5 Jun 2012 10:33:28 9,589 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @YenooR GET OUT!!!!!!!!

Yes it would but you'd get a whole lot more out of it by reading the first two as well. seriously.

• Deleted user 5 June 2012 10:37:45
    TOOTR wrote:

Absolutely. It's success will only be second to that of bring back Ned Stark ;)
    Joke's on you, Nedreanimates as a headless wight walker in the next book. He then spends 18 chapters searching out his lost noggin. Riveting stuff especially since it all happens from within a sealed crypt!
  • Flightrisker 5 Jun 2012 10:56:27 18,138 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I still can't figure out why Bran and the others went on the run.

Winterfell was surrounded by Robb's bannerman...
    Theon's crew turned on him, torched the place and fled...
    So why didin't they just go outside the castle walls and join up with the bannerman?

I'm sure there is a reason but they seemed to choose to keep it to themselves.

Oh and I forgot about Drogo. Man he was awesome. His one fight scene was amazing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HqdSjdtPAQ

I'd love to have Drogo, Ned and The Man back and get rid of CGI zombies and dragons.
  • Salaman 5 Jun 2012 11:14:45 19,131 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The castle was deserted of ironmen and Stark bannermen when they came out of the crypt. Fair point that they coudl've opted to go after the bannermen to get themselves safe. The dying maester seemed to see only two options: go south ... too dangerous or go north to John at the wall.

Perhaps he's assuming the bannermen are heading south to Robb and for them to set out after them on foot is too dangerous because too many enemies lurk in the south?
  • marilena 5 Jun 2012 11:36:58 8,203 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tonka wrote (in reference to Rob Stark):
    Is he a great strategist? I thought everyone just considered him lucky.
    I don't know... That's the impression I got. He continuously beat the Lannister troops in spite of being seriously outnumbered. I'm not sure everyone considers him lucky, only his enemies say that he's been lucky, to save face.

Rob is a very poorly defined character, imo. At the end of season 1 I hardly knew his name or was able to recognize him. Later, he developed a little, but not by much: he's good at war and has the hots for an exotic nurse. He's a very important person in the scheme of things, but he's rarely onscreen and doesn't do much when there. I feel like I have a better insight into some bit part characters like Davos or Brienne more than into him.

I actually suspect that he's not going to live until the end of the story. Not just because he's so empty, but also because the story has invested a lot in Bran and Arya and that doesn't make much sense if they're just there to support him. I'm under the impression that, when they grow up, Bran and/or Arya will replace him.
  • Flightrisker 5 Jun 2012 15:19:21 18,138 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    marilena wrote:
    I thought it was a good episode, although I'm somewhat disappointed by the realization that this story will only end in 5 years from now or more.
    Closer to eight years unless they start doing 20 ep seasons.
  • Tonka 5 Jun 2012 15:32:04 20,546 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    20 YEARS!

Awww fuck it, I'm reading the books

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• TOOTR 5 Jun 2012 15:45:12 9,589 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    20 YEARS!

Awww fuck it, I'm reading the books

LOL :)

Just so you are aware - then,when you catch up, instead of waiting 1 year between tv seasons/series you will possibly be waiting up to 7 years between books!

Edited by TOOTR at 15:47:24 05-06-2012

• Flightrisker 5 Jun 2012 15:49:51 18,138 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    20 YEARS!
    No... Eight..
  • TOOTR 5 Jun 2012 19:59:14 9,589 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Another thing I loved : the whole build up to Theons speech and how that played out.

Lily Allen's brother can act :)

• matrim83 5 Jun 2012 20:06:29 5,587 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah he has been excellent in the second half of the season.

Valar morghulis.

• TOOTR 5 Jun 2012 20:07:17 9,589 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted

• President_Weasel 5 Jun 2012 20:55:19 9,381 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    HoriZon wrote:
    varsas wrote:
    HoriZon wrote:
    Have we seen The Hounds brother this season The Mountain as the actor got recast late last year? Is he at that knackered castle where Arya is/was.
    Yes we've seen him a few times with the last being at the table with Tywin's other commanders in Harrenhall(?) and he's given specific orders.
    Shit he's forgettable then the other guy was massive this one didn't even stand out.
    We saw him a couple of times at Harrenhal, most recent was maybe 3,4 episodes before this last one. He hasn't cut the head off anything this series.
    New guy is tall, but more skinny tall than the other, massive guy. He does look a bit sinister and forbidding, but The Mountain should look more like a roid freak. Wouldn't have been as bad if they hadn't given us the other, better Mountain in S1.

Ah, here we go - looks like Conan Stevens got work as a recurring villain in Spartacus and as an orc chief in the hobbit, so they cast a former basketball player.
    Should've gone all out and cast the Big Show - if they could find a big enough horse :)

Edited by President_Weasel at 21:00:22 05-06-2012
  • matrim83 5 Jun 2012 21:54:15 5,587 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The mountain that rides cannot be fat. They should have cast the Great Khali. He only has one expression which is a perfect fit for Gregor.

They might have had to replace his entire script with words like "waaa" "aaaah" "gaaaa". It could have worked.

Valar morghulis.

• kentmonkey 6 Jun 2012 08:40:47 20,718 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    More like 'Immmfff ammmffff the greatfffffffff mountaifffffffffffff', before he chopped someone over the head with his hand. And Tyrion dress in green and could run around and hide under everything and bite people's legs.
  • matrim83 6 Jun 2012 09:00:02 5,587 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    /Vince McMahon.

Book it.

Valar morghulis.

• President_Weasel 6 Jun 2012 09:19:18 9,381 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    He can be fat if he's also strong and murderous. Big Show was never great at acting, but he could do "murderous look" well enough.
    The Mountain can't be skinny and cadaverous, and the new one looks a bit skinny.
  • ResidentKnievel 6 Jun 2012 10:01:47 6,216 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    He needs to look more intimidating than Sandor, and the new one doesn't.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• glaeken 6 Jun 2012 16:57:59 11,197 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So finally caught up with this I liked it a lot but I am confused about Theon. I watched Sky's Throne cast, which is totally wank by the way, and they said Theon was killed. Am I missing something as all I thought you saw was him get knocked out. I assumed the Iron mob were going to take him with them. I never thought they had killed him when I watched it but on the Throne cast thing they said he was dead now. If this is the case it was pretty badly done and not at all clear to me.

Anyway a great series overal but I think they need to start making more than 10 episodes a series. It just seems to me that they have too many story lines that they are not spending enough time on with such a short run of episodes.

Edited by glaeken at 17:00:18 06-06-2012
  • kalel 6 Jun 2012 17:06:23 87,910 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's fun enough but there is a definite sense of "OMG THIS IS GOING TO TAKE FOREVER" in terms of how long the whole thing will be, and how long it will be before it reaches its conclusion.

It also feels a bit smoke and mirrors in terms of how much they suggest is happening versus how much is actually happening. Really not very much happened in series 2 all things considered.

Overall I was a bit let down by the second series. Seemed to take itself more seriously yet had less substance. The end seems to suggest next series will pick up a bit, but then so did the end of series 1.
  • Khanivor 6 Jun 2012 17:29:13 40,850 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Season 1 hit the ground running. Season 2 didn't feel important until the last few shows. Here's hoping they don't lose their grip over the break again.
  • Flightrisker 6 Jun 2012 17:49:52 18,138 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Really not very much happened in series 2 all things considered.
    Absolutely. You could "Previously" season 2 in about 2 mins. "Stanis killed Renly, Joeffrey's still a twat".

Some of them pretty much stayed in one place and have ended the season in the same predicament they were a year ago. Jon's still gaffing about north of the wall, Robb's still camping in the field with his army not really doing much, Tywin spent almost the whole season chilling in Harrenhal, Tyrion and Cersei just bitched at each other, Jamie spent 9 of 10 episodes in a cell. Danerys ended the season with her dragons, again.

I really like the show but there was certainly a lack of substance this season. Might stop those ol book things...

Obviously their hands are tied due to the books but this season would have been vastly improved by more Varys and Baelish. Also retaining Ned and Khal would have been awesome. I have no belief that Robb would be able to mount a serious assault on the throne and Stannis is a tool. Ned was the guy you'd root for. And seeing Khal and his horseman make it over the narrow sea was such a good piece of bait. Would have loaded to have seen how that would have played out.
  • kalel 6 Jun 2012 17:54:46 87,910 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The whole Danerys thing is such a drawn out tease as well. Yes, I'm sure once she crosses the narrow sea and her dragons grow up she will prove to be extremely significant in how everything plays out, but until then, fucking YAWN!! It's just so detached from everything else that's going on, and it's so obvious how it will eventually play out. At least with some of the other characters they might die as a bit of a twist, but she so clearly won't.
  • nickthegun 6 Jun 2012 18:28:26 60,135 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The problem with danerys is that she is a thoroughly unlikeable character, played by a plank and surrounded by other unlikeable characters. Jorah just comes across as a know it all pedo.

The producers are clearly loathed to give her more screen time than they have to and are probably quite pissed off that she is shaping up to be one of the major characters.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• kalel 6 Jun 2012 18:32:55 87,910 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    But also, her story happens in total isolation. Everything else in the programme is connected through characters and plots, but her story is like a spin-off. An entirely different cast in an entirely different location. Again, it's obviously going to link up eventually, but until then every single time it flicks over to her it pisses me off.

It's like those comics you get in the middle of an arc where they suddenly do a random disconnected spin-off about some minor character. It's just annoying.
  • Page

of 288 First / Last