Game of Thrones (HBO TV SERIES) @ U.S. Pace - NO BOOK SPOILERS! Page 100

• Page

of 289 First / Last

• Tonka 4 Jun 2012 20:36:44 20,825 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Great season finale. The thing I like the most is the eunick, tyrion, little finger threesome. I look forward to dinkelages rise to power next season.

One thing I dind't get though. The ironers (god are they pathetic) turned mr pooface in to buy a "get out of jail" card didn't they? Then who burned winterfell?

And Boooooo to the new guy playing The Man. Hope they find a reason to go back to the original.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• varsas 4 Jun 2012 20:47:57 2,403 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't think they did turn Theon in precisely because Winterfell was burned down. I had assumed before we saw that that they had decided to escape but the burning makes a great distraction.
  • ResidentKnievel 4 Jun 2012 21:14:28 6,241 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The iron islander occupation of Winterfell has been poorly explained all series, not really surprising that it being burned down isn't explained at all.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Flightrisker 4 Jun 2012 22:11:51 18,138 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A good finale, nowt too amazing happened though, last week was really the finale and this was the set up for next year. Made me feel very similar to last years. Last season finale had me thinking "you know what I was loving this show without cgi dragons, I really don't need them". This year it's "cgi zombie apocalypse". I just don't think it's really needed and doesn't seem to fit in with the awesome intricate political world of double crossing and treachery that I actually watch the show for. Oh well, books etc...
  • andywilkie35 4 Jun 2012 22:20:03 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good to see The Muppets getting a part in Game of Thrones. That thing on the horse was hilarious!

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Flightrisker 4 Jun 2012 22:25:55 18,138 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh and Jaqen :'(

A man is sad.
  • kentmonkey 4 Jun 2012 22:28:02 20,790 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Last week was one of the best episodes...this week's was a rushed mess that left me wondering what the fuck was going on most of the time (having not read the books, well 80 pages into the first one which I started this week).

Who is attacking Winterfell?
    Why is it now burning?
    How the fuck did the gay brother and his weird (but hot) sister turn up and she get to be Joffrey's Queen?
    Why is Tyrion in a cell (or somesuch place).
    Plus many, many other things.

I half know some of the above, but the majority of almost everything in that episode left a lot to be explained.

It's almost as though they started writing the script for the final episode, got about 10 minutes into it and just agreed that 'fuck it, they should have read the book' applied to the rest of it.

Edited by kentmonkey at 22:28:32 04-06-2012
  • funkstar 4 Jun 2012 22:37:42 1,194 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Why is it now burning?
    How the fuck did the gay brother and his weird (but hot) sister turn up and she get to be Joffrey's Queen?
    Plus many, many other things.

1.robb starks bannermen
    2. not explained well
    3. littlefinger made a deal with them so they would back up tywin's army
    4. he's in his new quarters because he is no longer the hand of the king, given that tywin (named as hand originally) is back in king's landing

Edited by funkstar at 22:50:48 04-06-2012

The Lives of Nobody Important Paperback

• kentmonkey 4 Jun 2012 22:43:58 20,790 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cheers. That does help.

I didn't know number one at all, two completely lost me, three I kind of got but wasn't sure (and I'm sure it wasn't explained) and four, yeah...I heard that in the episode, but still think they rushed that. It felt like it needed at least another episode, or a double episode length for this one, but they just decided to shoe-horn it all in.

And yes, whoever mentioned the muppets wasn't far wrong.
  • Deleted user 4 June 2012 22:44:12
    kentmonkey wrote:
    The Stark forces are trying to take it back. Specifically Ramsay Bolton, Roose Boltons son.

Why is it now burning?
    The Ironmen torched the place because, as raiders, that's their thing. Take it if you can, otherwise escape and torch the fucking place so the enemy can't have it. Which is what they did.

The Tyrells are as powerful and power hungry as the Lannisters so they cut a deal with Littlefinger once Renly was killed so that Margery (sp?) could still become Queen eventually.

Not quite a cell but it is shitty accomodation because he has lost all his power and allies now that he isn't the Hand anymore. He may not have been killed off as planned but he has lost all his influence what with his Hill Tribe guys leaving and Bronn no longer being the captain of the City Watch.
  • Mr-Brett 4 Jun 2012 22:44:19 12,828 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @kent: Even having read the books I was struggling to follow the events, there are so many plot holes it's ridiculous. Still very enjoyable though :)

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• funkstar 4 Jun 2012 22:46:41 1,194 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    some more explanations:

on the first he sent them to winterfell in a previous episode
    three was kind of implied over a few episodes - you saw him at renly's camp, margaery says 'i want to be THE queen', then loras turns up in the fight in ep 9, and she does her deal in this episode.

four: when tyrion was appointed hand way back when it was on the condition that it was only while tywin was away

Edited by funkstar at 22:51:23 04-06-2012

The Lives of Nobody Important Paperback

• kentmonkey 4 Jun 2012 22:46:52 20,790 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    See, you've all done a far better job! :o)

Spuds...so the person who tried to kill Tyrion last episode (who I picked up on being the 'kings' appointed person as he left the battle was meant to kill Tyrion...on order of the King?
  • Deleted user 4 June 2012 22:49:09
    kentmonkey wrote:
    See, you've all done a far better job! :o)

Spuds...so the person who tried to kill Tyrion last episode (who I picked up on being the 'kings' appointed person as he left the battle was meant to kill Tyrion...on order of the King?
    Cersei rather than the King.
  • Scurrminator 4 Jun 2012 22:52:46 8,437 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It was the Queen who ordered it; as explained by varys(sp)

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• kentmonkey 4 Jun 2012 22:58:06 20,790 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aha. Well, that makes sense. Shame I've needed others to point it out. Ta all.
  • varsas 4 Jun 2012 23:09:41 2,403 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Aha. Well, that makes sense. Shame I've needed others to point it out. Ta all.
    I think you might want to pay more attention when watching. ;) I think all of your points were covered with events and dialogue in previous episodes. :)

Edited by varsas at 23:13:14 04-06-2012
  • YenooR 4 Jun 2012 23:14:20 533 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Excellent episode. Pity have to wait another year for season 3:(
  • Mr-Brett 4 Jun 2012 23:23:53 12,828 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @varsas: Some were but not all, like why Winterfell is burning which isn't explained at all and won't be until next season.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• TOOTR 5 Jun 2012 05:10:19 9,603 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Everything mentioned above was pretty clear I thought - apart from who set Winterfell ablaze.

Another great episode - but I missed Bronn!

Highlights

Brienne kicked some arse and got the Kingslayers respect.
    Peter Dinklage's acting when he broke down was fantastic.
    Loved the shot of the horse shitting and then the camera falling it into the hall before Tywin was appointed.
    Some awesome sets and location shooting.
    I thought even the understandably maligned Danaerys Stormborn pulled off some good acting in this ep - and loved her ruthlessness - she's back again - hopefully the whinging and whining will cease!
    Jon Snow and Quorin Halfhand.
    Sam and the others. Some genuine dread there when he was stuck behind the rock.
    Winterfell Maester's death scene was well done.
    Robb Stark putting his STUPID mother in her place.
    Zombie horse!
    Danaerys's visions of kings landing destroyed, out on the wall and motherfucking Khal Drogo with some top dialog.
    Dracarys and streams of flame from the little fellas.
    A man showing his faceless man powers.

Nitpicks (and that's all they are - this show is awesome)

The white walker in the first ever ep was much more frightening than cgi boy. But still a cool scene overall.

If you are sorcerors and you are planning to enhance your powers by being around dragons for centuries don't you think a little bit of studying up on water spells / flame resistant wards would be par for the course? Fools.

Ice and Fire! ROll on Season 3 - we don't really have to wait a whole 12 months do we? :(

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Danger Mouse reboot worries me a great deal.

• Tonka 5 Jun 2012 07:01:51 20,825 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    more like 9.5 isn't it?

• Tonka 5 Jun 2012 07:06:04 20,825 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    varsas wrote:
    I don't think they did turn Theon in precisely because Winterfell was burned down. I had assumed before we saw that that they had decided to escape but the burning makes a great distraction.
    This makes sense. I thought about it this morning and realized I jumped to conclusions there. Them putting a hood on the little cnut and saying "let's go" isn't the same as them turning him in.

• Salaman 5 Jun 2012 08:53:37 19,303 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    HoriZon wrote:
    varsas wrote:
    HoriZon wrote:
    Have we seen The Hounds brother this season The Mountain as the actor got recast late last year? Is he at that knackered castle where Arya is/was.
    Yes we've seen him a few times with the last being at the table with Tywin's other commanders in Harrenhall(?) and he's given specific orders.
    Shit he's forgettable then the other guy was massive this one didn't even stand out.
    I didn't really realize they swapped him. Just assumed I hadn't seen the mountain all season.

Bit of a disappointing episode after all the wildfireworks last week.

It felt more like a housekeeping episode. So we've had the big battle, now let's quickly run a few plot points by you so we're set up properly for season 3.
    Tyrion loses his power
    Robb marries his sweetheart
    John gains the trust of the wildlings
    Sansa is off the hook from marrying Geoff .. but what will she do now?
    The Tyrell's manage to salvage siding with Renly into a ticket to the throne.
    Stannis is pretty pissed of.
    Varys is plotting against Littlefinger but seems to plan to secretly support Tyrion when and if he can (for now)
    Arya is out and abotu with her friends .. whatever will she do next?
    Brienne isn't kidding when she says she doesn't work for the Starks and she can proper fight.
    Oh ... and the white walkers are coming.

See you all next season!
  • Tonka 5 Jun 2012 09:09:47 20,825 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The more I think about it the sadder I am that The Man is replaced.
    Do you guys think an on-line petition could help?

• marilena 5 Jun 2012 09:25:46 8,203 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I haven't read the books, but I've been able to follow most plots without problems. The only thing that I didn't notice by myself was the fact that Tyrion's attacker was from his own camp.

What happened to Winterfell is clearly not a plothole, but something that is left unexplained for now. Obviously there's something wrong there, otherwise Bran & co wouldn't leave the place.

I thought it was a good episode, although I'm somewhat disappointed by the realization that this story will only end in 5 years from now or more. I wonder if I have the patience for it. I know I had it with Lost, we'll see if this one can pull the same trick.

The only part that I truly hated this episode was Rob's marriage. For a supposedly great strategist, he's acting real dumb. If he's going to wreck an important alliance, can't he at least postpone it until after the war? Also, ffs, he's a king! His marriage should be about alliance building not love! Nobody says he can't bang the nurse on the side...
  • Tonka 5 Jun 2012 09:47:29 20,825 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is he a great strategist? I thought everyone just considered him lucky.

• shamblemonkee 5 Jun 2012 09:53:20 14,491 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Tonka if you're talking about jaqen h'ghar then i think you missed a few important bits of his conversation. :)
  • Tonka 5 Jun 2012 10:09:03 20,825 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yes and No.
    I get it, he can change appearance and he has taken a new identity to fool the red god. (That makes no sense though because then he wouldn't have to kill the guards)

Anyways, he changed his appearance. (Which in turn means referring to him as anything but The Man is missing the point. He was never Jaquen, that was just one of his characters, which one we don't know. First? Twentieth?)

So, now he is someone new. Will he go back to his previous looks? Was the change just to show his skills? Hopefully, but he doesn't seem like that kind of guy.

Worst case he must now be played by a new actor. It's as if Bethesda has sunk their raping claws into the IP.

• Salaman 5 Jun 2012 10:15:13 19,303 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    He's not switching identities to fool the red god is he? He's a follower of the red god.
  • Page

of 289 First / Last