A Dance With Dragons

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • SilentTristero 4 Mar 2011 00:10:21 291 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So, finally, almost 6 years on, A Dance With Dragons is confirmed for July 12th, 2011.

Nothing else needs to be said.
  • Slurmseh 4 Mar 2011 06:42:36 2,334 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I will believe it when I hold the book in my hands.
  • UncleLou Moderator 4 Mar 2011 07:45:07 35,428 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post deleted
  • UncleLou Moderator 4 Mar 2011 07:45:07 35,428 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SilentTristero wrote:
    So, finally, almost 6 years on, A Dance With Dragons is confirmed for July 12th, 2011.

Nothing else needs to be said.

Great, but I've forgotten everything that happened before by now, and I don't think I want to read it all again, as great as it is. :-/
  • AccidentProne 4 Mar 2011 07:47:53 1,153 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is that going to be the final one in the series? I gave up after a ridiculously long wait for the last one and I'm not going to pick it up again until he finishes them, assuming he ever does the massive slacker.
  • TOOTR 4 Mar 2011 09:38:33 9,498 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I understand the frustrations, critiicisms and concerns but me personally?

I can't bloody wait!!!

Jon snow, Tyrion et al!

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• SilentTristero 6 Mar 2011 01:14:20 291 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I was planning to re-read at least AGOT, for the upcoming HBO series, but now I may well have to continue on and read the rest again as well. Been 3 or so years since I finished AFFC.

If I remember correctly, A Dance With Dragons is basically set during the same period as AFFC, but with the POV characters that were absent in that book - so no, not the final book by a long shot.

Genuinely excited, though; I'm confident that he wouldn't dare announce a date (Set by the publisher in this case) without being 100% sure of reaching it*. Great year for fantasy stuff; now Scott Lynch needs to pull his shit together.

[Far too many acronyms in this post.]

*Death non-withstanding...

• Slurmseh 6 Mar 2011 02:03:13 2,334 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Does Scott Lynch not have a new book out in like 2 weeks?
  • Deleted user 6 March 2011 09:11:20
    Yeh, it's not the last one is it? I stopped reading these ages ago, and then decided not to read any series until they're finished. Everyone should go and read the Malazan series by Erikson which is the best series of them all, and was finished last week. 10,000 pages or so should keep you going for a while.
  • yegon 6 Mar 2011 09:19:18 5,171 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Slurmseh wrote:
    I will believe it when I hold the book in my hands.

This.

Plus, I hope it's better than Feast. After devouring the previous books in no time, Feast was an utter, utter chore to read that I was glad when finished.
  • SilentTristero 6 Mar 2011 20:27:51 291 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Slurmseh wrote:

As far as I'm aware, any dates for 'The Republic of Thieves' are merely placeholder dates; he hasn't updated the blog on his site since October, when he was talking about his depression.

There is every possibility he has simply chosen to complete it silently, but...
  • Slurmseh 6 Mar 2011 21:45:50 2,334 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SilentTristero wrote:
    Slurmseh wrote:

As far as I'm aware, any dates for 'The Republic of Thieves' are merely placeholder dates; he hasn't updated the blog on his site since October, when he was talking about his depression.

Ah, that's a shame.

Oh well, at least I have Rothfuss' 'Wise Man's Fear' to read. And I would recommend everyone to check him out, he's amazing.
  • Kostabi 6 Mar 2011 21:52:42 4,878 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I remember getting into this series a couple of years ago and rushing through it so I could catch up and enjoy the newest book at the same time as everyone else. Didn't think I would have to wait quite so long...

I feel bad for the people who have been following this series since day one. Must be agonising.
  • President_Weasel 7 Mar 2011 10:49:30 8,983 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Slurmseh wrote:
    SilentTristero wrote:
    Slurmseh wrote:

Ah, that's a shame.

Oh well, at least I have Rothfuss' 'Wise Man's Fear' to read. And I would recommend everyone to check him out, he's amazing.

I just finished reading The Wise Man's Fear and all I can think is "argh, now it's ages to the next one"
  • TOOTR 4 May 2011 04:18:57 9,498 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Confirming the July 12th date but also :

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-update.html

Happy days! \o/

• Genji 4 May 2011 05:02:35 19,691 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Holy shit, I thought this series was finished already. I've been so fearful of spoilers that I haven't looked at anything remotely related to future Ice and Fire volumes.

Currently starting the second book.
  • Genji 30 May 2011 01:03:00 19,691 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And now I'm done with A Feast For Crows.

It wasn't as fun to read as the other books, in no small part because some of my favorite characters (Tyrion, Bronn, Jon Snow to a lesser extent) weren't in it. And I didn't particularly care for Brienne in the first place, so having her as a POV character was a bit of a chore.

The Dorne bits weren't exactly gripping, either.

But having Cersei as a POV character was great. She is such an evil, vindictive, petty bitch, who will fuck the entire kingdom up for the benefit of her children. One can kind of see why she is that way, but that doesn't make her any less twisted.
  • President_Weasel 30 May 2011 01:28:36 8,983 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Genji wrote:
    And now I'm done with A Feast For Crows.

It wasn't as fun to read as the other books, in no small part because some of my favorite characters (Tyrion, Bronn, Jon Snow to a lesser extent) weren't in it. And I didn't particularly care for Brienne in the first place, so having her as a POV character was a bit of a chore.

The Dorne bits weren't exactly gripping, either.

But having Cersei as a POV character was great. She is such an evil, vindictive, petty bitch, who will fuck the entire kingdom up for the benefit of her children. One can kind of see why she is that way, but that doesn't make her any less twisted.

She's tactially clever but strategically a fucking idiot, I'd say. Always looking for the momentary advantage right now while not seeing the big picture (or possibly having a sense of entitlement or manifest destiny or something - "I'm Cersei and I'm clever and I'm pretty and the big picture can't hurt me because I'm the hero of this story" sort of thing). Would you agree?
  • Genji 30 May 2011 02:12:09 19,691 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh, I've no doubt about her being an idiot. She certainly doesn't play the long game very well, and she doesn't have a lot of friends. Whatever friends she might have had got sent away because she didn't trust them, and the replacements are either incompetent or psychopathic.

But it's still good to have a character like that telling the story. It made the end of the book that much more satisfying.
  • Fat_Pigeon 2 Jun 2011 16:31:13 9,796 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    She's a psychopath, and would probably be diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia if she walked into a GPs office.

she likes to think she's clever and playing the game far better than anyone else, and think herself far cleaver than anyone else. Where as she just looks like the dumb blonde in a season of big brother. people just keep her about because she's got a nice pair of tits and she's easy. but ultimately her house of cards will come crashing down around her.

• dominalien 2 Jun 2011 17:34:16 6,839 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I will wake up on my birthday this year, turn on my iPad and wait for the book to appear in the Kindle store. Knowing my luck it'll be published at 23:59 Hawaii time :-)

PSN: DonOsito

• TOOTR 2 Jun 2011 18:52:33 9,498 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I can honestly say I have never anticipated a book release so much in my life.

I don't want to build it up too much as Feast was in many ways a 'filler' book but just seeing what The Imp is up to alone will be worth the price of entry.

• SilentTristero 5 Jun 2011 23:59:32 291 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Damn, little over a month to go and I haven't re-read any more than half of AGoT.

I might have to hunt down a summary, I just don't generally re-read books, never mind 5 large fantasy epics.

Seemed like I had forever at the start of March, but as ever there's always something else I want to read - and new books will always come before a re-read...
  • RyanDS 6 Jun 2011 12:09:59 9,062 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    In Waterstones if you preorder it is half price.

As are some other decent books at the moment, and they usually get them in a few days early. Cheaper than Amazon a fair bit of the time and I usually get them quicker.

Go high street for a change!
  • TOOTR 8 Jul 2011 09:38:54 9,498 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Good interview with the big man himself :

http://tunedin.blogs.time.com/2011/04/15/george-r-r-martin-on-game-of-thrones-from-book-to-tv/

Also an article on Dance with Dragons in Time - it's being called a masterpiece and the best book in the series yet. I started reading it....then stopped - I don't even want a hint of a hint of a spoiler so i'm imposing a personal media blackout.

Probably won't even come back in here til I've read it! :)

Like Silent - I am re-reading the series and it's taking longer than I thought but I'm going to keep at it. I'm enjoying them just as much as ever before ..with the added spice the fifth is coming......much like winter....

It's going to kill me to have it sitting there while I inevitably wade through Feast of Crows but that's the path I'm on.

Can't wait!

• THFourteen 8 Jul 2011 09:56:21 32,872 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Greggywocky... wrote:
    Yeh, it's not the last one is it? I stopped reading these ages ago, and then decided not to read any series until they're finished. Everyone should go and read the Malazan series by Erikson which is the best series of them all, and was finished last week. 10,000 pages or so should keep you going for a while.

Well said. I'm finally re-reading the Sword of Truth series, having read the first 6 books about 10 years ago. Didnt remember a thing, so had to read the whole lot.

Don't know about Erikson though, tried to read one of his books earlier and it was just such a mishmash, i couldnt cope
  • TOOTR 8 Jul 2011 10:02:27 9,498 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Erikson drops you smack into it all in the first book. Like a westerner into the middle of Saudi Arabia without a map - cultural or geographical.

But it's WELL worth sticking with it and the whole Malazan series - they are fantastic - just not as instantly accessible as AGOT.

Then again - AGOT itself isn't extremely accessible for man people who prefer more prosaic straight forward fare.

Mileage will vary etc etc

• Genji 11 Jul 2011 01:27:56 19,691 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm off to the bookstore to buy it first thing tomorrow. \o/

The reviews I've read have been very positive.
  • Genji 12 Jul 2011 02:47:29 19,691 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And it's here!

First chapter is a Tyrion chapter! \o/
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous