Installing rental games to get around "disc unreadable" errors?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • ilmaestro 26 Feb 2011 01:30:17 32,472 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have a game which boots up to company logos/health warnings etc, but doesn't quite get to the menu screen any more, can't install from the disc itself past 47%. If I rent a copy of the game and install from there, any chance that will be enough to get the game running? I don't fully know how the disc-check side of things works.

• uiruki 26 Feb 2011 01:44:18 3,726 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I believe that as long as you get past the initial disc check you'll be fine - the disc spins down. The only restriction I am aware of is that it must be installed on the same Xbox. I've had to reinstall games multiple times when using different machines with the same hard drive.
  • ilmaestro 26 Feb 2011 01:47:42 32,472 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'll give it a go, then, provided I can find a rental copy. Cheers!

• BartonFink 26 Feb 2011 01:52:29 35,126 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not sure it will work. Tried this with banjo kazooie and it didn't work. Installed game from rental but got the same error :(
  • Vice.Destroyer 26 Feb 2011 01:56:02 5,900 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What BartonFink is describing sounds incredibly bizarre. Installing games to hard drive is how I have been able to play seven of my current games. Barton must be very unlucky. Uiruki's explanation is how I understand installed games to work.
  • BartonFink 26 Feb 2011 02:00:40 35,126 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yea banjo is weird. Tried installing from the disc no joy. Then rented it and installed. Install worked fine but when the boys try to play it it stops at the same point. With the original disc
  • Doomspoon 26 Feb 2011 02:04:17 2,504 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Also worth noting that some games can give read errors if Live/lobby servers are playing up. In my case, soon after CoD: WaW's release I didn't realise those already playing were getting loads of disconnects and lag. I kept getting read errors and cleaned up my disc which was in no way damaged (it was more scratched after being rinsed under the tap). I logged in on a profile with no attached Live acoount and the disc booted fine. Went back to my regular profiles and sure enough read errors again.

With regard to the install locking up this would seem more indicative that there is a fault with the disc itself, naturally.
  • Deleted user 26 February 2011 02:13:56
    Is it a new or old 360? Do other games work? Are you sure the disc drive isn't shot?
  • ilmaestro 26 Feb 2011 03:02:38 32,472 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Old, yes, yes. I can see the scratch on the disc. Thanks for the replies, all.

• BartonFink 26 Feb 2011 03:10:16 35,126 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So did it werk?
  • ilmaestro 26 Feb 2011 05:45:11 32,472 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I may need to wait until the rental stores open in the morning. :D

• MrTomFTW Moderator 26 Feb 2011 09:07:09 39,406 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Try rubbing toothpaste into the scratch. I am not joking.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• robthehermit 26 Feb 2011 10:10:53 4,267 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Try renting the game, and sending back your old scratched disc.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Br0ken_Engli5h 26 Feb 2011 10:10:53 1,202 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you can get your hands on some T-cut or other car scratch removers then that works even better. Tooth paste does work, but it's a lot of elbow grease as it's only mildly abrasive. Whitening or baking soda toothpastes work better than other toothpastes for that reason.

I have a buffing wheel at work which I sometimes use to get very deep scratches out of disks. It's a bit dicey, though, as I've shattered a disk with it before but I've rescued quite a few disks with it.

You could try Gamestation who will put it through their machine for a couple of quid.
  • DiamondIce 26 Feb 2011 10:39:56 1,185 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have the exact same issue with a game. I was thinking of installing a rented copy and then using my disk as the verification each time I play.

I asked about this and was told it should work.

The mad thing with my disk is that if I stop playing it for a while I can get a fair bit of use out of it the next time I boot it up. Once I have played it for a while I get the disk error message.

FLOPS! RAM!

• effinjamie 26 Feb 2011 10:51:18 906 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I do this all the time. As said, as long as you install it on the 360 your going to be playing it on

PSN - effinjamie Xbox - effinjamie

• Nozzinja 26 Feb 2011 14:26:12 205 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dont game shops do that disc resurfacing for price of a rental?

I could swear gamestation does it.
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 26 Feb 2011 16:19:44 2,453 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Even ASDA do cleaning for a quid. I know GAME do scratch repairs for about 2. I cleaned a really badly scratched game with T-CUT before and it did naff all. I could see a difference in the surface, just not enough to get it to install.

You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Ghandi

• PazJohnMitch 26 Feb 2011 18:05:15 8,624 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rob the Hermit wrote:
    Try renting the game, and sending back your old scratched disc.

Probably mildly illegal but I agree with Rob.
  • ilmaestro 27 Feb 2011 09:08:27 32,472 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It seems to have worked, happily, so whether I'm able to send the original disc back or not I at least have a solution for now.

• Vortex808 13 Mar 2011 12:27:05 7,480 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DDevil wrote:
    Try rubbing toothpaste into the scratch. I am not joking.

Does this really work well? Does it not damage the rest of the disc? I don't have any T-cut at home, but my Bulletstorm disc has been scratched somehow - I think possibly when the system froze once, so now I can't play one of the echoes.

I can always try heading to blockbuster and asking if they can clean it, if they are willing to do that, but might just try this to see if it does actually work!
  • Vortex808 13 Mar 2011 17:11:33 7,480 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yay! Toothpaste does indeed work, awesome stuff- thanks for the tips DDevil & Br0ken engli5h!

Next time I buy some T-cut I'll try that too.
  • DiamondIce 13 Mar 2011 17:21:49 1,185 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is it a case of putting a small amount on the area and then rubbing it in and wiping any residue away from surrounding areas?

Reading that paragraph back sounds so wrong...

FLOPS! RAM!

• Vortex808 13 Mar 2011 17:41:36 7,480 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DiamondIce wrote:
    Is it a case of putting a small amount on the area and then rubbing it in and wiping any residue away from surrounding areas?

Reading that paragraph back sounds so wrong...

:D

Yep, I had some nasty cheap travel toothpaste I'd picked up in a hotel and used that, rubbed it around for a bit with a bit of kitchen roll until the scratches looked to have gone and then wiped it clean with with a moistened bit of kitchen roll to remove any toothpaste-y gunk and dried it.

It completely removed all trace of the scratches that prevented one section loading, and I have been able to instal the whole thing onto the HDD now.

The area does look slightly marked compared to the rest of a pristine disc, but nothing too bad at all and it reads just fine.

+1 for household items for fixing disc problems.
  • DiamondIce 13 Mar 2011 18:31:44 1,185 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'll give it a go. Getting the game installed is my aim from this because it always gets to 38% and stops. If it fails at least the disk will have a nice minty smell.

FLOPS! RAM!

• devil_badger 13 Mar 2011 23:46:43 50 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Toothpaste worked on NFS:Shift when I scratched it, but made my copy of Fifa 11 even worse. Got it cleaned in a shop, and even though it won't install past 93% I've had no problems whilst playing it anymore
  • DiamondIce 14 Mar 2011 08:25:33 1,185 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I tried it and it still stopped at 38% :(

I will try playing the game and see if it has made that situation any better. I guess it is beyond repair as it has been cleaned twice at Blockbuster.

FLOPS! RAM!

• estoo 14 Mar 2011 10:11:20 2,844 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've been preaching the wonders of toothpaste on scratched CDs and DVDs for years.
    Think I may have even started a thread about it in here many moons ago. It's saved many of my discs over the years!

There's some Youtube vids kicking about too. You only need a tiny bit and dab it all round the disc (shiny side obviously). With a fair bit of elbow grease, rub it from inside to out, all around the disc for about 5 minutes using a dried out baby wipe (or something equally soft and non abrasive).
    Then rinse with water and allow to dry.

Worth noting that if the scratches are on the label side of the disc so the coating has been scratched off, you are fucked.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next