Mary 'Queen of Shops' takes on GAME Page 3

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• Deleted user 13 February 2011 20:44:35
    have I accidentally stumbled onto keysygamer.net
  • Flying_Pig 13 Feb 2011 20:45:41 10,993 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We're missing two important facts here: What game was is, and why the f**k was someone shopping in Game?
  • Carlo 13 Feb 2011 20:46:55 18,058 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah I'm behind game on this, but I smell PR stunt,

PSN ID: Djini

• Deleted user 13 February 2011 20:49:30
    not a fan of mary portas but it's never conscionable to support GAME in any fight. fannies to a man
  • spamdangled 13 Feb 2011 21:13:23 27,355 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Or,

"Just go in there dear and buy an age restricted rated game without ID, there's a good boy."

*5 minutes later*

"They wouldn't sell it to me mummy"
    "WHAT! HOW DARE THEY RUIN MY CHANCE TO WRITE A SENSATIONALIST TABLOID ARTICLE! THEY WILL PAY FOR THIS!"

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• LionheartDJH 13 Feb 2011 23:31:57 19,455 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    We're missing two important facts here: What game was is, and why the f**k was someone shopping in Game?

1. What does it matter?
    2. Because they wanted to buy games on the high street perhaps?

She dives for cheese pasties

• Kami 14 Feb 2011 00:49:11 2,435 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I stopped buying new games from shop shelves ages ago for three reasons;

1) They cost more.

2) It was more convenient to order online/download.

3) THe big one for me is I'm rapidly approaching mid-life crisis point and I STILL sodding well get asked for ID. Now, I know some people would murder me for my perennial baby-face (and I know most girls would murder me for having a naturally cinched waist) but I'm a 33 year old man who likes videogames and horror movies. I'm sick of being asked for ID. Sad, but true. Why put yourself in any situation where you have to prove your age when you despise proving it (and then having to argue that no, it's not fake and yes, I hate the fact my body seems permenantly stuck at 17 years old and no, I haven't had surgery and no, I don't spend any money making myself look younger).

That said however, I understand that a lot of these stores must ask for ID, and they have every right to refuse service if they are not convinced. That's the law - the penalties are heavier if the person is underage. Discretion is advised, and whilst I of course hate being challenged over my age - I understand their position, that arguing over a 30 game, or a 5 pint or a pack of fags at 8 isn't worth the fine they will incur.

Was GAME right? Legally, they are perfectly within their rights. Could they be doing better? Well, duh, this is GAME we're talking about. They're not exactly paragons of the industry, after all. But all this said, I don't see why Mary Portas kicked up a fuss. There's hundreds of things wrong with how games superstores operate... the ID thing should be the least of her concerns, actually right at the bottom of the list seeing as any shop selling any age-restricted item follows the exact same rules.

Personally, I think these high street giants will die out eventually. I used to enjoy my 100-mile round trip to pick up a new release - but the round trip alone cost me almost as much as the sodding game half the time. And high streets are dying off anyway - even my local highstreet used to have Woolies and a bunch of other names, now half of them lay empty and the supergiants have their spots just outside town. I don't like it, but I call it like I see it.

It's a battle I can't see them winning in the long term. I however won't be mourning the losses of GAME or Gamestation... it'll be the independant retailers the bastards already largely killed off.

Master of Tekisuto No Kabe. *bows*
    And you're reading this why?!

• TheRealBadabing 14 Feb 2011 00:56:59 1,312 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kami wrote:
    I stopped buying new games from shop shelves ages ago for three reasons;

1) They cost more.

2) It was more convenient to order online/download.

3) THe big one for me is I'm getting tired of having to get my mum to complain on twitter.
  • PenguinJim 14 Feb 2011 00:59:51 5,854 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This thread's title made me think that a new shop called "Mary Queen of Shops" was opening on UK high streets with the intention of selling games cheaper than anywhere else (or perhaps just with more pubes inside). Now I am sad. :(
  • Kami 14 Feb 2011 01:15:51 2,435 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TheRealBadabing wrote:
    Kami wrote:
    3) THe big one for me is I'm getting tired of having to get my mum to complain on twitter.

You know, I could explain how wrong that is, but I think you probably know from this post where I'm going with this one anyway. Might want to actually think before making remarks like that in the future.

I know, my little rant is silly. I guess my life is silly in itself. But my point is, even though I do get asked for ID a lot - I understand why they do it and why, even when all evidence points to "THis chap is of legal age", they still have no legal obligation to serve you. They are able to discriminate, and I totally know WHY they do it - they'll make money with or without one persons custom.

There's a fuckton more wrong with these places than a legal age-restriction system that everyone else follows in exactly the same way more or less. And it doesn't seem like Mary Portas really doesn't understand any of them at all...

Master of Tekisuto No Kabe. *bows*
    And you're reading this why?!

• Res 14 Feb 2011 02:30:46 1,814 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think he was making one of those humorous comment things, what with this whole thread being about some kid's mother complaining on twitter that her son couldn't buy a game.

It was implying that you're the silly old woman's son.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 14 Feb 2011 08:52:24 7,767 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Kami - do you not carry a driver's licence?
  • CosmicFuzz 14 Feb 2011 09:01:23 24,322 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What's the big deal? Carry some ID, problem solved. Stop whining, sissy girls.

We're back! Our gaming podcast Open Source returns after a break with a look at Destiny, Minecraft and more. Check us out! (And give us a rating on iTunes please!) :)

• midnight_walker 14 Feb 2011 09:06:18 1,977 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Res wrote:
    I think he was making one of those humorous comment things, what with this whole thread being about some kid's mother complaining on twitter that her son couldn't buy a game.

It was implying that you're the silly old woman's son.

Kids today have no sense of humour.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 14 Feb 2011 09:08:41 7,767 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Also 5 a pint? that's a bit toppy even for London
  • ZuluHero 14 Feb 2011 09:26:49 4,145 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kami wrote:
    It's a battle I can't see them winning in the long term. I however won't be mourning the losses of GAME or Gamestation... it'll be the independant retailers the bastards already largely killed off.

I'd better use up all of my Gamestation store credit now you've gone all 2012 on us ;)
  • PepsiMax 14 Feb 2011 15:00:48 604 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just read the article about this on the front page, and it has finally clicked whats gone one here.

I cant believe the fuss she's making over this.

If they had sold her son an 18 game say, she would have gone ballistic, shes going mad because they adhered to the law? eh?

I also like the argument of an Ostyer card - up here in Cumbria I bet less the 25% of people know what one is so if you turned up here brandishing your osyter card it would get you absolutely nowhere.

Not entirely sure how valid that argument is, as they were in London. so they did know what one is, but there has to be a point in that argument.

To be honest I've always thought she had a point, even though she is deeply irritating. But in this instance it seems she's trying to make a point when there isnt one.
  • Deleted user 14 February 2011 15:03:53
    She got 100 in Game vouchers out of it so she's all happy now and saying how wonderful Game are.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 14 Feb 2011 15:05:46 7,767 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    yuck! Now I'm annoyed with Game.
  • spamdangled 14 Feb 2011 15:07:01 27,355 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Livetext_beta_tester wrote:
    She got 100 in Game vouchers out of it so she's all happy now and saying how wonderful Game are.

Where has she said she got vouchers? There's nothing on her twitter about it.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• thedaveeyres 14 Feb 2011 15:09:14 11,058 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Where does it say she got free vouchers? I'll be fucking livid if so.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• heyyo 14 Feb 2011 15:09:30 14,373 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Livetext_beta_tester wrote:

Where has she said she got vouchers? There's nothing on her twitter about it.

Never mind all that, she'd get smashed.
  • nickthegun 14 Feb 2011 15:13:32 59,912 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah... youd smash it.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• X201 14 Feb 2011 15:17:28 15,402 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    heyyo!... she wouldn't be interested.
    She shops at another store now.

• Spanky 14 Feb 2011 15:18:02 14,501 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    She doesn't like willies no more, local would have a better chance.

Plubs

• thedaveeyres 14 Feb 2011 15:18:56 11,058 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    HOLY SHIT.

Once seen... can never be unseen

D****** ******r

• heyyo 14 Feb 2011 15:24:35 14,373 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's valentines day, the chlorofor...uh, charm is in full swing. Plus i've got some spare vouchers from christmas.
  • Mr_Sleep 14 Feb 2011 15:24:44 17,062 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    thedaveeyres wrote:
    HOLY SHIT.

Did it come out with a holy hand grenade fanfare?

You are a factory of sadness.

• thedaveeyres 14 Feb 2011 15:29:07 11,058 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr Sleep wrote:
    thedaveeyres wrote:
    HOLY SHIT.

Did it come out with a holy hand grenade fanfare?

I was so gobsmacked by the fact that Mary Portas had been abducting and anally probing me since I was a young boy, I screwed up the links. :)

D****** ******r

• Page

of 4 First / Last