Outstanding Debt? News To Me! Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • DaM 8 Feb 2011 10:51:49 12,996 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    We get stuff to our address but not in our name (there are some flats down the road, and the addresses are frequently wrong).

I always open them and phone the Debt Agency and just tell them. They say it's the person that gets the black mark, not the address. Never get a second letter for the same thing.
  • Mr_Sleep 8 Feb 2011 10:54:50 16,972 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Just stick em back in the post marked not known at this address. And if the bailiffs turn up, tell them you don't know him and he doesnt live there and they'll fuck off

That's what we've done, we have done a not known at this address thing, so hopefully it'll be the last of it. Then again, we'll be moving at some point in the near future so it can be the next persons problem. I had kind of assumed nothing would come of it, it's one of those things though, logic says one thing but the coveting of my posessions against potential harm is another ;-)

You are a factory of sadness.

• Salaman 8 Feb 2011 10:57:55 18,959 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Go buy some stuff before you move & don't pay for any of it.
  • HarryPalmer 8 Feb 2011 11:08:03 3,267 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    Whatever you do, don't phone the debt collection agency. Always deal with those fuckers in writing - and registered mail so that they can't deny having received requests for information.

These forums are a mine of information on this sort of trouble:
    http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?167-Debt-Collection-Industry

Debt collection agencies rely on fear. Don't let them scare you - the onus is heavily on them to prove that you owe the debt. If they can't prove it, you don't pay.

This.

I was chased by a variety of cunts over some mystery 1000 or so I owed Barclaycard. Except I'd never had anything to do with Barclaycard. Once you start asking for proof, evidence, reporting them to trading standards etc, they soon back off. Took a while though as every time I asked for evidence they just shunted it onto another collection agency. But yeah, never ring them, they are twats.

Also, google the collection agency, you'll probably find they do this kind of thing all the time, i.e. chase people for no reason.
  • RyanDS 8 Feb 2011 11:10:17 9,268 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Also make sure you get it sorted, don't just leave it even if it is not for you.

It can fuck up the credit rating of your house and screw you over. (As we found in my old shared house when none of us could get credit as the address had been blacklisted.)
  • Mr_Sleep 8 Feb 2011 11:10:20 16,972 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Go buy some stuff before you move & don't pay for any of it.

Put it under the other fellas name. Good plan! My life of petty crime begins!

I do have to wonder why this isn't a more regulated industry. I understand there are things in place, such as the financial ombudsman that are there for the public but it seems incredible that these companies can act in such a manner.

• skuzzbag 8 Feb 2011 11:22:53 5,638 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Citizens Advice Bureau can help with these kind of problems.
  • MetalDog 8 Feb 2011 11:31:22 23,697 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've been chased twice in the last couple of years for debts that weren't mine. I discovered the most likely cause is that my name is /similar/ to the actual debter's, so they just send threats to everyone they can find with a name that falls into 'close enough' territory.

Every time I hear a company on the radio moaning that debters have 'too much protection' I want to reach through the speakers and slap them.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• spamdangled 8 Feb 2011 12:36:38 27,276 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    In any written correspondence, make sure that you say you do not acknowledge that the debt is yours.

These companies take any contact as acknowledgement of the debt (because if you don't acknowledge it, the debt gets written off after a certain amount of years, IIRC), so you need to make sure you say that you're not acknowledging it.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Mr_Sleep 8 Feb 2011 12:48:45 16,972 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    I've been chased twice in the last couple of years for debts that weren't mine. I discovered the most likely cause is that my name is /similar/ to the actual debter's, so they just send threats to everyone they can find with a name that falls into 'close enough' territory.

That is incredibly unlikely in my case. There isn't another one of me in Britain afaik.

• thefilthandthefury 8 Feb 2011 19:59:17 24,988 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I rang the council earlier and asked for it in writing and whatnot. Doubt I'll get it though. They claimed that they'd sent me loads of previous letters about this matter, but they haven't. The only one I've ever had is the one yesterday from the bailiff!

Back in 2009 I was on housing benefit and I was trying to get it back dated, as I was owed money. They said they wouldn't back date it, so I sent a letter appealing that decision and agreed to take it to a tribunal. Then, a few days after giving them this letter (in person) I received money, so I thought the matter was resolved...

... apparently not. It turns out that that money was just a random error and I shouldn't have got it. Also, they NEVER EVEN LOOKED at my appeal letter! They had it on record but had just filed it away... they never took any action on it whatsoever. They're going to re-open the appeal now, even though this is all from 2009. IDIOTS!

So, basically, they're complete cretins... who pretend they've sent me letters so they don't look bad.
  • caligari 26 May 2011 20:08:58 17,024 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yesterday I received a letter from a company called 'Fredrickson International Limited' who are telling me that I owe Talk Talk 180.91.

I thought that there had been some kind of problem with my Direct Debit details, so I gave Talk Talk a ring. They confirmed that the amount that I owe them is 0, and that my payments have been going through every month.

I then gave this Fredrickson company a ring to explain that there had obviously been some kind of mizx-up - but they're pretty adamant that I owe Talk Talk this amount.

The strange thing is that the bill dates back to November 2009 - I only moved in to this place in October 2010. :)

Anyway, now I have the joy of scanning/printing 'proof' - which I then have to send via recorded delivery (I'm hope they're refund the costs when I've been 'cleared') within the next 15 days. Bitchin'.
  • spamdangled 26 May 2011 20:14:28 27,276 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    Yesterday I received a letter from a company called 'Fredrickson International Limited' who are telling me that I owe Talk Talk 180.91.

I thought that there had been some kind of problem with my Direct Debit details, so I gave Talk Talk a ring. They confirmed that the amount that I owe them is 0, and that my payments have been going through every month.

I then gave this Fredrickson company a ring to explain that there had obviously been some kind of mizx-up - but they're pretty adamant that I owe Talk Talk this amount.

The strange thing is that the bill dates back to November 2009 - I only moved in to this place in October 2010. :)

Anyway, now I have the joy of scanning/printing 'proof' - which I then have to send via recorded delivery (I'm hope they're refund the costs when I've been 'cleared') within the next 15 days. Bitchin'.

Wait right there dude. The onus is on them to prove you owe the debt, not for you to prove that you don't.
    Demand to be given copies of what evidence they have.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• LionheartDJH 26 May 2011 20:18:15 19,398 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It'll be some debt collection firm trying to scare him into paying the bill cos they can't trace the original debtor. I imagine they'll just keep bombarding him if he refuses to pay it, so while I agree with you in principle dm it's probably best just to send them some proof to shut them up.

She dives for cheese pasties

• spamdangled 26 May 2011 20:20:39 27,276 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Post deleted

• LionheartDJH 26 May 2011 20:23:47 19,398 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Did you just insult me and then delete it dm?! :o

• spamdangled 26 May 2011 20:26:02 27,276 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    Did you just insult me and then delete it dm?! :o

lol no, I wrote something then realised I'd mixed up the meaning of something, which meant my post made no sense :)

• LionheartDJH 26 May 2011 20:26:57 19,398 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh I see, so no different to most of your other posts then? :p

• caligari 26 May 2011 21:02:07 17,024 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Is this the kind of thing that could affect my credit rating?

Oh, and thanks for the help.
  • spamdangled 26 May 2011 21:09:05 27,276 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    Is this the kind of thing that could affect my credit rating?

Oh, and thanks for the help.

It's possible, but only if the debt is legitimate. Check your credit record to see if it's listed. If it's not, you're probably safe and you can ignore the "debt".

• LionheartDJH 26 May 2011 21:11:14 19,398 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Billy_sastard wrote:
    Miaow @ Lionheart.

/claw gesture

• Phily50 26 May 2011 21:19:12 2,199 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr Sleep wrote:
    That is incredibly unlikely in my case. There isn't another one of me in Britain afaik.
    Nonsense! My mate is called Sergio Sleep
  • caligari 13 Jul 2011 20:31:13 17,024 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hah, you've got to love these guys.

This bullshit is still dragging on - even after a countless amount of phone calls and letters.

Long story short (erm, sorry, it's not actually 'that' short) - when I first moved this property in October 2010, the previous owner and I attempted to do a simple 'change of ownership' with the Talk Talk contract. This would mean that I'd not only be tied into a shorter contract, but I've avoid all of the expenses that come with getting a new line installed.

We waited...and waited...and waited. After around a month and a half, Talk Talk said that they'd lost the forms (although another time they simply said that they'd never received them). They said that we should get another set of forms sent out.

I couldn't be arsed to wait for over ANOTHER month to be told that they'd been lost - again - so I simply went ahead and ordered a new account, with a new line etc.

Everything was fine up until a few months ago, when I received this first Fredrickson 'debt collection' letter. I phoned Talk Talk, they said that my account was all paid-up and a-okay - so I sent Fredrickson crap-loads of proof (bank statements, Talk Talk account details) that I didn't owe any money.

All was quiet until a few days ago, when I received ANOTHER letter from Fredrickson, stating that I still owed Talk Talk this money. I phoned Talk Talk - again - and after much detective work, the customer service representative told me that the change of ownership forms obviously HAD been received, because this 'debt' was tied to that account. So I was essentially being asked to pay for two accounts - one which should never have existed.

The chap spoke to his line manager, who confirmed that it was their mistake - the account was cancelled, and the debt was wiped. Fredrickson would be contacted within 5 days.

10 days later, and I receive a phone call from Fredrickson stating that I still owe Talk Talk this money. I explained that it should have been sorted out, and they 'kindly' put the debt on hold for 5 days whilst I phone Talk Talk - again.

This customer representative said exactly the same as the last one - an account that shouldn't have existed - the line manager has quashed the debt - Fredrickson will be contacted automatically within 5 days - blah blah fucking blah.

I'm sure I'll be receiving yet ANOTHER phone call in a week or so, asking me to pay this debt.
  • President_Weasel 13 Jul 2011 20:42:53 9,208 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    At which point you say "my patience has run out; if you idiots ever phone me up again I will report you to the police for harrassment, and to the financial ombudsman for just generally being a bunch of cunts. Make sure and put a note of this in my file"
  • brokenkey 13 Jul 2011 20:49:22 6,999 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Write to the talk talk chief executive with a proper letter, pen and paper. That will sort it.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• Raiko101 14 Jul 2011 00:16:01 6,222 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Email them and keep the sent email. Proof that you've spoken to them regarding the matter.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• FWB 14 Jul 2011 00:20:25 44,344 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My dad bills organisations for the time he spends dealing with this. He's actually received payments. But then he his the master at sorting this shit out.

Invoice them for your expenses and time.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next