Shinobi & Kunoichi (a.k.a. Nightshade)

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Obiwanshinobi 7 Feb 2011 07:23:26 866 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I know some people have been banging on about those games for years now, but I feel there's my turn to express the Shinobi appreciation.
    Having just beaten Blood Will Tell and Crimson Tears, I was in the right mood for that 2002 Shinobi game and oh girl, am I glad I finally got to play it. This has to be one of the most misunderstood PS2 games out there. Sheer thought that somebody could've possibly mistaken it for a poor man's Devil May Cry is depressing. By all means compare it to Silent Bomber or GunValkyrie, but it's just astonishingly unlike those last gen TPP slashers everybody and their dog played at least once.
    There's no denying that camera sucks big time in places. Moreover, gotta miss the days when such games could have Silent Bomber quality production values. Difficulty curve isn't as steep as rumour has it, though. Those who have hard time beating early stages are most likely playing it all wrong and should look up some guide or watch some good runs on YouTube (not time attacks, mind you, as those are downright bonkers and don't even show half of the stuff you're supposed to encounter during "normal" runs).
    What more can I say? Shinobi is one humbling phenomenon in the cold light of 2011, when fast killing and 60 fps are things of uttermost rarity in console action games. There's no telling when we will see something new quite like it, founded by a big company, created oustide of the bedroom development ghetto.
  • Deleted user 8 February 2011 16:11:28
    I loved Nightshade, it was a great game. I don't think I completed it though :(
  • Cappy 10 Feb 2011 16:59:05 12,086 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How did you find Crimson Tears? I rather liked it, it's a great little loot hunting dungeon crawler.

Shinobi is a bit too far over onto the fighting game side of things for me, I haven't finished one since the original Onimusha
  • Cappy 10 Feb 2011 16:59:09 12,086 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Obiwanshinobi 11 Feb 2011 05:00:16 866 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Liked Crimson Tears for its atmosphere (not quite unlike that of BoF: Dragon Quarter), fast pacing, addictive chaining, excellent animations... I even intend to revisit the bonus dungeon at some point. It coloured me interested in earlier fighting games by DreamFactory (Ehrgeiz and Tobal have similar dungeon modes). Then again, I've yet to grow tired of arcadey dungeon crawling (finished Crimson Tears and started Shinobi primarily as a break from a particulary tough bossfight in Ys II Complete on Hard; the PC version, reportedly tougher than console ports). Champions and BG:DA games are good fun on their own right, especially in co-op, but their single player modes lack the intensity of those Ys remakes (even Diablo on the PC had seemingly faster kill & loot rate than BG:DA etc.).
    Shinobi is something else, though. Chaining reminds me of Psyvariar rather than some other hack & slash... Seems to me that somebody from Ubisoft Montreal who worked on the last gen PoP trilogy was obsessed by Shinobi and kept trying to emulate some of its features in PoP (and hardly succeed, which doesn't come as a surprise, considering how non-arcade PoP is at heart, whereas but a few tweaks would turn Shinobi into a fine coin-op game).
  • Cappy 12 Feb 2011 09:52:55 12,086 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I discovered a pretty interesting bug in Crimson Tears. By the third dungeon machine-guns start getting dropped more frequently. Very powerful but they chew through ammunition at a frightening rate, maybe not such a good idea for the long run.

Ah! But Tokio can dual wield any gun.

So a rather heavily armed Tokio steps into the third dungeon. A mob of robots scuttle into view, then crumple and blossom into gouts of flame within the space of a second.

Hah! Keeping to short bursts I should be able to clear this entire stage in...

Sadly it's not to be, dual wielding machine-guns in the third dungeon, probably a few other places too, crashes Crimson Tears with 100% certainty. Too much firepower for a Playstation 2 to handle obviously.
  • Obiwanshinobi 17 Mar 2011 10:06:45 866 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Finished Shinobi this morning. If you ask me, Eurogamer's 3 out of 10 for Shinobi is as lamentable a disgrace as IGN's 3 out of 10 for God Hand. Not that those games have much in common with each other (difficulty aside). Whereas Capcom fighting games are like a circus where you play the entertainer's role, juggling with monsters and all that, Shinobi, rather than fighting game, is a killing game (even though your enemies already got killed once by someone else; I like how grim the story is without getting melodramatic).

Cappy wrote:
    I discovered a pretty interesting bug in Crimson Tears. By the third dungeon machine-guns start getting dropped more frequently. Very powerful but they chew through ammunition at a frightening rate, maybe not such a good idea for the long run.

Ah! But Tokio can dual wield any gun.

So a rather heavily armed Tokio steps into the third dungeon. A mob of robots scuttle into view, then crumple and blossom into gouts of flame within the space of a second.

Hah! Keeping to short bursts I should be able to clear this entire stage in...

Sadly it's not to be, dual wielding machine-guns in the third dungeon, probably a few other places too, crashes Crimson Tears with 100% certainty. Too much firepower for a Playstation 2 to handle obviously.
    I used to fire my guns almost exclusively against those drones immune to normal attacks. Tokio is the odd one of the bunch. Never lerned how to pull of massive chain combos with him. Without guns, that is, but then guns are useless against some enemies in the last dungeon. Still, Tokio's guard-breaking attack is pretty useful.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next