Ridge Racer Unbounded (sigh)

• Page

of 11 First / Last

Previous
  • JoeGBallad 5 Feb 2011 11:08:53 383 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Should we organise a funeral for the beautiful beautiful Ridge Racer, taken from us so young (It was only 7 after all).

If they really wanted to mix up the formula, all they needed to do was take the style, handling and crisp, colourful graphics and take it to a new arena, like touge racing or something. Instead they've done a 'DmC' (or an 'SSX', or what any number of games are doing nowadays) and decided to take the soul of the series out.

I know change is good, and I don't usually get annoyed about aspects of game development, especially not enough to start threads about them (and especially especially not based on just the one trailer) but I'm making an exception here. The trend these days to take perfectly good series that have a dedicated following, and completely change them, mostly making them 'dark', 'edgy' and 'gritty', and almost unrecognisable to that same following, is starting to piss me off.

And Ridge Racer; beautiful, perfect Ridge Racer, is the last straw. Fuck the world man, I'm building a spaceship and leaving it.

If you aren't utterly disgusted by me please check out my videogames show at:

www.youtube.com/BitSocket

• Deleted user 5 February 2011 11:16:20
    we all know this gen sucks just be a man and take these mediocre games like a good little boy.
  • Deleted user 5 February 2011 11:22:21
    RR is now meh!

/thread
  • Deleted user 5 February 2011 11:24:22
    this thread is now about oranges.

discuss
  • Deleted user 5 February 2011 11:30:01
    I really wish we had seen an announcement for a Ridge Racer Type 8 as a sequel to Type 4 from an internal Namco team (perhaps with help from Eden Games to make a Ridge World).

Ace Combat reboot looks fantastic, Project ACES are taking that in the right direction. I'm less sure about this one, but kudos to Bandai Namco for pushing ahead with high profile games.

I just don't think we should be harsh on either Bandai Namco or Bugbear, the developer here is a good team in their own right. Think of it as a rebranded Flatout and hope they have two sets of games in the works doing different things, like EA has with Need for Speed.
  • Widge Moderator 5 Feb 2011 11:31:47 13,573 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My take: Ridge Racer wasn't all that good.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Deleted user 5 February 2011 11:33:10
    i like RR for what it is. a japanese racer.
  • CharlieStCloud 5 Feb 2011 11:35:16 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Type4 is still and always will be the best although I put a silly amount of hours on Ridge Racer 6 in-between the time my when my Brother was playing the likes of Call of Duty 2 and Project Gotham Racing 3 when the Xbox 360 at Christmas time (in 2005).

I like change but this kind of change, for a series like Ridge Racer, is a little bit too different and has lost the identity and character of what made the series so appealing in the first place.

Oh well... I'll give BugBear a chance.
  • Machetazo 5 Feb 2011 11:40:32 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ridge Racer and Flatout are two very different things. There's no way I'd recognise as RR, a Flatout in disguise! There's a very specific concept of what a Ridge Racer game is, though I'm not trying to suggest that concept cannot evolve. I remember no Reiko, but instead, some edgy anime character between vehicles in the trailer. I think that if there were some kind of over-arching purpose to the racing, then that would not intrinsically alter the play. That is what I am hoping for. I think there is a way this direction can work and retain existing players interest, whilst making it more attractive to new players.

@DcP: +1
  • Deleted user 5 February 2011 11:47:04
    @Widge Filth! :p

@DcP Yup, there is a big gaping whole in the market (and my heart *emo*) for a Japanese arcade racer.

@CharlieStCloud Type 4 style with RR6/7 gameplay. Yum!

But yeah I do agree that while something like Ace Combat already suits where the ACES team are taking it with Assault Horizon, this is more problematic.

Which is why it does seem best to take it as a BugBear game with the Ridge brand of its new publisher. If they combine what they do with Flatout with some of the tropes and character of the series, could work as its own thing.
  • Deleted user 5 February 2011 11:49:17
    i didn't play much type 4. but RR6 and RR7 are fun racing games.

edit: and of course my favorites
  • Pirotic Moderator 5 Feb 2011 11:58:06 20,647 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Whatever happened to Japanese arcade racers? I don't get why everybody is jumping from one ship into a more crowded and competitive ship. Ridge Racer was always a safe bet, they would throw one together for the release of pretty much every console and they always sold quite well, people knew it would be bare bones but you know what - it was ridge racer so who cared.

These terrible out-sourced titles are not ridge racer, and looking at the developers they won't stand much of a chance in the western market either. Other than sullying a loved franchise I don't get what they are trying to achieve.

le sigh.
  • Machetazo 5 Feb 2011 12:01:29 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No nitrous, please. That's one thing I would rather not see. It's unnecessary, and shifts the focus of the game from a pure racing perspective.
  • Deleted user 5 February 2011 12:11:17
    that was the fun aspect of RR6&7 tho... :(

nitro is optional in online races. ;-)
  • mal 5 Feb 2011 12:11:53 22,536 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    Whatever happened to Japanese arcade racers? I don't get why everybody is jumping from one ship into a more crowded and competitive ship. Ridge Racer was always a safe bet, they would throw one together for the release of pretty much every console and they always sold quite well, people knew it would be bare bones but you know what - it was ridge racer so who cared.
    Outrun 2 killed it. It's not possible to make a racer in the Japanese mold better than Outrun 2, so you may as well not try.

Also, western racers have finally got the hang of not being fussy impossible to control sims and are actually fun to play on consoles now.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Cappy 5 Feb 2011 12:24:06 11,940 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aside from the ridiculous title, going on the rather vague statements about destruction it could end up being a bit like Burnout 3.

Not exactly a heinous crime, Burnout 3 is still the only arcade racer I play.
  • Deleted user 5 February 2011 12:27:19
    why? burnout revenge was the perfect version. :p
  • Deleted user 5 February 2011 12:29:34
    If I didn't know it was Ridge Racer from the trailer I would have thought EA were making NFS Underground 3.
  • midnight_walker 5 Feb 2011 12:29:44 1,980 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is Unbounded even a word?
  • Machetazo 5 Feb 2011 12:35:21 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    About as much as Undiscovery.
  • steoc4 5 Feb 2011 13:04:27 1,656 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm hoping Bugbear make Ridge Racer more like Flatout, and therefore more fun, the same way as Criterion Burnoutified NFS.

I think Namco are just copying EA wholesale!
  • CharlieStCloud 5 Feb 2011 13:09:27 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DcP729UK wrote:
    why? burnout revenge was the perfect version. :p

You mean Burnout 2...?

Or even OutRun 2 whilst we are on the subject!
  • Pirotic Moderator 5 Feb 2011 13:13:45 20,647 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I just hope they've kept the cheesy triggered planes/helicopter fly-bys.
  • FabricatedLunatic 5 Feb 2011 13:15:45 13,013 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mixed feelings about this. While I'm thrilled to hear that Bugbear are developing a new racer, I'd much prefer them to be doing a new Flatout. That and RR are very different games and Unbounded could end up pleasing fans of neither franchise.

Still, I watch with interest.
  • Deleted user 5 February 2011 13:24:37
    The name is just fucking stupid, I've no idea why it's past tense because it doesn't flow at all. 'Unbound' would have worked, 'Unbounded' just sounds wrong.
  • Machetazo 5 Feb 2011 13:29:27 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Watching the trailer again, that might well be Reiko that steps out of the car, although I don't like how (purposefully, maybe) when the character's between cars, and the camera pans to the front, she's covered in shadow. After the engine starts, my enthusiasm disappears from that moment. It probably isn't the biggest or most relevant consideration, but why did the Ridge Racers abandon their past activity for that. :/

It couldn't be police, because they'd, all competitors, have been using holding cells like hotel suites for so long before now, if that were true! How are they (Bugbear) framing it? Isn't that what the trailer is selling to us, here, the foundation of the world?

“Ridge Racer Unbounded injects a shot of adrenaline into one of the most revered racing franchises in video game history,” said Carlson Choi, vice president of marketing for Namco Bandai Games America Inc. “The talented Bugbear development team is committed to crafting a game with the amazing attention to detail the Ridge Racer series is known for, while also delivering a destructive game, fans old and new will appreciate.”
    source ...uneasy. Do you think it's necessary to embolden the words here: "America", and "destructive". I think they're key. It makes me question whether that was why the 3DS team markedly distanced themselves at the event, from answering queries about this.
  • RobTheBuilder 5 Feb 2011 13:39:58 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As long as this is not a "new direction" but a side series I don't mind.
    Still think a proper RR8 would be better, but Bugbear made Flatout good fun so I remain hopeful that it will be decent at least.
  • Pirotic Moderator 5 Feb 2011 13:44:12 20,647 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh dear, I hadn't even seen the CGI trailer yet, even putting the shitty production values to one side, if that is the type of game they are aiming to create they might as well not use the Ridge Racer name at all.

Hopefully the developers know what they are doing and didn't have much input into the CGI clip.
  • Machetazo 5 Feb 2011 13:44:58 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't doubt Bugbear as a developer, at all. I enjoyed Flatout three times over, handily. :)
  • Deleted user 5 February 2011 14:11:43
    Machetazo wrote:
    Watching the trailer again, that might well be Reiko that steps out of the car, although I don't like how (purposefully, maybe) when the character's between cars, and the camera pans to the front, she's covered in shadow. After the engine starts, my enthusiasm disappears from that moment. It probably isn't the biggest or most relevant consideration, but why did the Ridge Racers abandon their past activity for that. :/

Um, it is showing the character is moving from the old Ridge world into the new one of this game. She has changed, the game has changed.
  • Page

of 11 First / Last

Previous