Project $10.00 Abuses

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • Xboxfanuk 3 Feb 2011 08:21:00 147 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So I noticed that the first batch of EA titles using project $10.00 appeared on Games on Demand in the last few months. And of course potential buyers were asking, does it include the codes? The answer is NO!

So EA has been telling all of us that project $10.00 (which should be called project $15.00 since their extra pack is 1200msp) is to curb used sales and that it pays for online servers and so on. And now we see a service where EA is selling direct to consumer without DVD or retail costs at hugely inflated prices and they treat that customer like they are scum.

Why because it's a digital copy (which can not be traded) do we need to pay nearly release day prices (and in the case of Red Dead Redemption we are) even though it's been nearly 1 year since release? And then they do not add in the code for new purchasers!!!

I wish someone at Eurogamer would contact EA or Microsoft and ask them to explain this. Because from where I am sitting it seems they just want to rip us all off!
  • lucky_jim 3 Feb 2011 08:23:49 5,334 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I hadn't thought of that. It's pretty outrageous- I agree EG should be asking questions.
  • Deleted user 3 February 2011 08:24:51
    Thirded.
  • Xboxfanuk 3 Feb 2011 08:25:20 147 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    To add insult to injury they DO include the codes at the EA store for PC games.
  • Deleted user 3 February 2011 08:29:10
    Somebody made the point the other day that GOD on the 360 have to set the price at whatever the RRP is, they did a good job of explaining why and it did kinda make sense (I can't remember the details sadly). But they should include those codes fo sho.
  • Emmit_Assassin 3 Feb 2011 08:30:17 752 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I noticed this about BFBC2 ages ago. Its disgusting that the code is not supplied, as surely a digital download counts as a new purchase. Fair enough, if they want to get away with inflated prices, then they can cut off their nose to spite their face if they want, they won't see any money from me. But to not include the code inflates the price further.
    GoD is a step forward for games, and I feel is where we're headed for most games in the future. But at these prices and project ten dollar in place for this will see it crawl along at such a pace as to not seem worthy.
    Correct pricing and the removal of the scheme would see their sales soar.
  • Emmit_Assassin 3 Feb 2011 08:32:24 752 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rage_Quit_Rob wrote:
    Somebody made the point the other day that GOD on the 360 have to set the price at whatever the RRP is, they did a good job of explaining why and it did kinda make sense (I can't remember the details sadly). But they should include those codes fo sho.
    Didn't it have something to do with advertising costs? The price of manufacture is minimal, and the RRP for in store games is mostly advertising costs. Those costs are the same for digital downloaded games as well.
  • Deleted user 3 February 2011 08:33:55
    It was some legal thing if memory serves me, which it obviously doesn't, hopefully someone without a goldfish brain will come along soon and remember for me :/
  • Xboxfanuk 3 Feb 2011 08:34:05 147 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Microsoft inflates the price and does not release games until months if not years after their brick and mortar releases so as to not be competitive with retail. However this does not mean they need to rape us for everything we got if we wish to purchase via digital download.
  • Xboxfanuk 3 Feb 2011 08:35:09 147 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Emmit_Assassin wrote:
    Rage_Quit_Rob wrote:
    Didn't it have something to do with advertising costs? The price of manufacture is minimal, and the RRP for in store games is mostly advertising costs. Those costs are the same for digital downloaded games as well.

Most games show up on Games on Demand with little or no advertising. And in many cases they are even out of print.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 3 Feb 2011 08:36:48 2,229 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Holy crap I never even thought of that. That's fucking outrageous.
  • Blerk Moderator 3 Feb 2011 08:36:49 48,225 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hey, that's actually pretty shitty. I had no idea.
  • Emmit_Assassin 3 Feb 2011 08:38:57 752 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Xboxfanuk wrote:
    Emmit_Assassin wrote:
    Rage_Quit_Rob wrote:

Most games show up on Games on Demand with little or no advertising. And in many cases they are even out of print.
    Well that's the excuse they give. The advertising costs will be the same for the game, whatever the distribution method.
  • Xboxfanuk 3 Feb 2011 08:39:18 147 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Don't even get me started on Sky Player blacking out 4 hours of prime time programming on Sky Player every night and yet charge 15.00 for the base service (as a standalone). And there is no warning that these shows will be blacked out unless you dig deep into the T&C. No Simpson's, no Stargate, No Voyager, and many feature films blacked out.

Again media companies fucking us over again? Why do PAID FUCKING PAID services black out shows just because it's streamed over UDP verses satellite. But I digress.
  • Emmit_Assassin 3 Feb 2011 08:49:56 752 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Has anyone bought this to Eurogamers attention? I don't remember seeing an article on it. I'm sure there's someone they could badger for answers.

EDIT: Can't believe I spelt 'Eurogamers' wrong.
  • Futaba 3 Feb 2011 08:55:08 3,536 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    EA are scum.

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• Xboxfanuk 3 Feb 2011 08:56:32 147 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I am beginning to like Bobby Kotick again.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 3 Feb 2011 08:58:46 2,229 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Xboxfanuk wrote:
    I am beginning to like Bobby Kotick again.

No more drugs for that man!
  • Deleted user 3 February 2011 09:01:07
    Futaba wrote:
    EA are scum.

I know it's a particularly radical opinion to have nowadays, but I still don't like EA from way back. BUT THEY HAVE CHANGED. Not they are still cunts.
  • Deleted user 3 February 2011 09:04:31
    Cries Mr. I'm awful at Fifa hence why I hate it.

EA 4 life. Shouldn't be poor/lazy in the first place; go pick up a copy somewhere.

that is unacceptable on their party.
  • Deleted user 3 February 2011 09:05:51
    No I am Mr Fifa is a load of fucking shit I would rather play Sensible Soccer.

Cheers.
  • Futaba 3 Feb 2011 09:10:32 3,536 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rage_Quit_Rob wrote:
    Futaba wrote:
    EA are scum.

I know it's a particularly radical opinion to have nowadays, but I still don't like EA from way back. BUT THEY HAVE CHANGED. Not they are still cunts.

The EA that bought up loads of excellent smaller game studios and then let them and their creations rot? Yeah I don't like them either.

I'm still upset about C&C.

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• Ziz0u 3 Feb 2011 09:15:54 8,582 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That it pretty horrible.
  • Deleted user 3 February 2011 09:17:05
    That'll teach ya for buying shit from EA.
  • Lukey__b 3 Feb 2011 09:17:56 3,716 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That's really shitty.

Not only is it a new game, so the code should be included, its a download game with no chance of resale, which is the whole point of the code, so the whole $10 thing shouldn't even be applicable to this type of purchase.

'Sup, what's guanine?

• mcmonkeyplc 3 Feb 2011 09:22:34 39,515 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Let's march on EA HQ!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• CosmicFuzz 3 Feb 2011 09:25:26 25,304 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's pretty shitty, FO SHO.

How patches are ruining the future of gaming My thoughts.

• cianchristopher 3 Feb 2011 09:52:15 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I pointed this out in the Games on Demand thread, where I also made the point that I prefer Activision's greed to EA's dishonesty. At least Activision are upfront about being pricks, whereas EA are pretending to be the good guy, though they really haven't changed.

Of course, what kind of reaction did that get? Well, this is a gaming website, of course. The reaction was "OMG EA are great, fuck Bobby Kotick, he's a cunt who makes Hitler look like a saint", yay!
  • Deleted user 3 February 2011 09:53:44
    Yeah you aren't allowed to slag off EA anymore, they make awesome games like Dead Space (fair enough) and Fifa 95, I mean Fifa 2011.
  • spamdangled 3 Feb 2011 09:57:54 27,426 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    True, but EA are at least committed to new IP. What new IP have Activision put out? Only one that springs to mind was Singularity and Blur, and we know how much support they got from the publisher, don't we?

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous