• binky Moderator 31 Jan 2012 08:58:27 9,853 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Has this thread died?
  • binky Moderator 31 Jan 2012 08:59:24 9,853 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ah, that's better.

Hello. I've just started playing this at the weekend, and have reached world 4. It is freaking glorious. Best Mario since Super Mario World I reckon.
  • Raiko101 31 Jan 2012 10:27:19 6,619 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It is a great game and it gets better as it goes on. I'm not sure i'd put it on par with 2 & 3, but it's up there.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87 (Dave)
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• elstoof 31 Jan 2012 10:33:00 8,098 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Saving this for the 2 week work trip to the US in May, should help fill the long waits in various hotel rooms quite nicely.
  • binky Moderator 31 Jan 2012 10:47:23 9,853 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    It is a great game and it gets better as it goes on. I'm not sure i'd put it on par with 2 & 3, but it's up there.

2... as in Super Mario Bros. 2? o_O
  • Cadence 31 Jan 2012 10:58:50 1,695 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Really want this. I think amazon have it for 22, which seems like a good price. I got a few Game vouchers for Christmas though but just discovered that you can't use them on their online store, where 3DS games appear to be about 8 quid cheaper, compared to their ripoff instore prices :(

Edited by Cadence at 10:59:12 31-01-2012
  • JinTypeNoir 31 Jan 2012 11:00:43 4,392 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Why not? Super Mario Bros. 2 has always been one of my favorites in the series. I hope one day they do something that off-kilter again, even if the game was a result of sticking Mario into another game.

I'm almost done with my coin-based time attacks. Next up, a no-power-up run. After that, small Mario with no coins or 1-ups run.

Game of the year last year for me, this one. Its just the game that keeps on giving. Its inspired me to play and replay it more than any Mario game since Sunshine.
  • roz123 31 Jan 2012 11:06:55 7,113 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have to say this game has me itching to go back to it after I decided to take a break once I completed it to clear some backlog. Still need to run through with Luigi but I am looking forward to it.

Edited by roz123 at 11:07:34 31-01-2012
  • binky Moderator 31 Jan 2012 12:44:02 9,853 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    SMB2 did gain a bit of a cult following but I never really got the formula. It was too far removed for me.
  • Deleted user 31 January 2012 12:58:21
    Lol @ everyone, myself included, that were mentioning/complaining about the walk in the park difficulty before getting to the special stages and being force-fed our stupid words down our pie holes

/am up special stage world 4 and it is really difficult imo.

Edited by bitch_tits_zero_nine at 12:59:17 31-01-2012
  • Raiko101 31 Jan 2012 19:41:44 6,619 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    binky wrote:
    Raiko101 wrote:

2... as in Super Mario Bros. 2? o_O
    The very same. As a child I disliked it as it wasn't anything like 1, 3 and World, but as I got older it grew on me. Each time I played through it I loved it more and more. It's in my top 5 all-time faves, purely on the fun factor.

• CosmicFuzz 31 Jan 2012 20:02:03 25,319 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    Lol @ everyone, myself included, that were mentioning/complaining about the walk in the park difficulty before getting to the special stages and being force-fed our stupid words down our pie holes

/am up special stage world 4 and it is really difficult imo.
    Heh it's super hard. I must have lost over a hundred lives finishing up the special stages. Absolutely fantastic little game though. And great use of 3D too.

How patches are ruining the future of gaming My thoughts.

• Derblington 31 Jan 2012 20:09:25 22,120 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've not started losing lives until Special 7, up until now I've always been around 200 lives going for all 3 coins and the gold flag before moving on. I think I went through 20 lives in one stage a couple of nights ago but overall I've found it pretty easy.

It has grown on me since my initial posts on it, and I've enjoyed playing through it a lot. I'm not sure I'd want it any harder as it's just been a pleasant game to drop 30-40 minutes into at a time and feel a nice sense of progression.
  • Deleted user 1 February 2012 15:53:42
    Better man than me.
  • Rennieboy 3 Feb 2012 00:54:10 4 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Whats the gold flag??? Im on special 7 with just under 200 lives and its getting frustrating. Backtracking now to pick up the odd few big coins ive missed along the way.... Only had it a week but cant seem to put it down!! :)
  • mal 3 Feb 2012 01:47:30 22,795 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gold flag is the yellow flag which appears on the top screen when you select a level iirc. You get them by hitting the top of the end of level pole (and getting the 1up) IIRC.

Bah, Amazon have put the price back up to 30 quid. Maybe I should just re-rent it and finish it.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• cowell 4 Feb 2012 12:17:25 702 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @bitch_tits_zero_nine

Totally agree with you. Makes a good game brilliant in my opinion. Anyone of a reasonable gaming ability can play large swathes of the game and yet equally there is some super challenging content for those made of sterner stuff
  • Deleted user 4 February 2012 12:26:47
    Really glad they introduced saving after each level. I recently tried and failed to complete mario 3 and the fact that it only saves after the castle stages makes it a bit too frustrating for me. Got to world 7 I think.
  • INSOMANiAC 4 Feb 2012 22:04:26 3,841 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The save system on NSMB on DS was a joke, in fact the whole game is pretty bad, worst of all the mario games imo, this game is much better but I'd done it all in 3 days and not touched it since. I can play mario 3 and super mario land over and over and over but this one doesnt have the clever level design to warrant repeated playthroughs imo. Good game but not up there with the classics

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Kay 4 Feb 2012 22:10:10 17,955 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Save system on NSMB was pretty much the same as the one in Mario Bros. 3 and World...

Besides, you really think the first GB Mario Land is better than this?
  • Gaol 4 Feb 2012 22:14:21 2,429 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The first GB Mario Land is a lot more charming and memorable. Perhaps the music, perhaps that the themed worlds make it feel more like a journey. Given the tech at the time it was a strong release.

3DLand was great fun, and platforming games have moved on, but it somehow feels a bit sterile.
  • mal 4 Feb 2012 22:30:40 22,795 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I never finished NSMB. One of the boss levels just brick walled me. I suspect one of the Special levels in this will get me if I ever decide to buy it, which is why I still haven't.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• JinTypeNoir 5 Feb 2012 00:58:07 4,392 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was having so much fun with Super Mario 3D Land the other day, I decided to start replaying New Super Mario Bros., and surprise the game is still as brilliant as it was. I love how the mini Mario and the turtle shell Mario aren't easy enhancements, you have to master the strengths and weaknesses of each form, also manipulating the end-of-level seconds, or the flying question blocks on the world map, or going back into levels and trying to make it out with the power up you need was a great little facet of the game that's really emphasized enough to make it stand out from the other Marios.

The Big Mario was great too, it was the first time Nintendo brought the 3D games limited power-up times into the design of a 2D game. Changing the level layout and smashing through enemies and design elements was supersatisfying could be a neat trick to get a shortcut to someplace you want. Also, the Super Mario World super exits were a blast to find and the fortresses are probably the best in the entire series -- they're not only tricky, long and devious, but have all great gimmicks.

My favorite level is in the fourth world with all the spiders in a row over long series of pits. If you jump correctly you won't land on anything on spiders and get 1-up, but its really tricky to do and really fun.

I've never had any problem with the graphics, it doesn't go to any new places for the series, but it looks good and keeps the half abstract/half bouncy fantasy kingdom aesthetic down to a tee. A lot of the enemy characters are really charming too, like the ones that throw snowballs at you in the snow levels. That's another detail that was great -- the snow falling off the trees you thought were a background element.

Yeah, the save system could have been better, but its certainly no worse than World. I find people who criticize the game either wanted a harder game, Nintendo to go in a different direction with it, the charm of it just didn't click with them or can't articulate what they think is actually bad about the level and game design.
  • INSOMANiAC 5 Feb 2012 01:01:15 3,841 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    Save system on NSMB was pretty much the same as the one in Mario Bros. 3 and World...

Besides, you really think the first GB Mario Land is better than this?
    I meant mario world not mario land, yes, the save system was similar on Mario 3 and NSMB, but Mario 3 wasnt a handheld game

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Deleted user 5 February 2012 04:25:08
    Be interesting to see what they come up with for the new 2d game, be good if they try to do something different. Proper pixel art would be smashing, doubt we'll get that though.

Edited by bitch_tits_zero_nine at 04:25:52 05-02-2012
  • Raiko101 5 Feb 2012 04:31:50 6,619 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It'll no doubt make some use of the 3D, so I suspect the visuals wont change all that much. Well, I guess the could do something along the lines of Kirby's Adventure on the 3D Classics. Some online play would be nice though.

• JinTypeNoir 5 Feb 2012 09:18:39 4,392 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have a feeling it won't quite be what anyone is expecting, one way or another. If it's the team that did New Super Mario Bros. Wii though, then that would make a lot of sense, because I don't think we've heard from them since that game and its been a while. I'm not sure Nintendo really plans on making New Super Mario Bros. Mii into anything more than a tech demo either. Unless there's something we don't know it doesn't seem right to make a Mario game where you can play without the famous characters.
  • Raiko101 11 Feb 2012 01:32:26 6,619 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There are some cool videos up in the 'This Weeks Video Highlights' library on the eShop at the minute. Mostly speed runs and ways to rack up the 1ups incredibly quickly, but good stuff. Didn't know that by turning into the tanooki statue you could destroy so much. If a thwomp lands on you while you stone, it explodes! You can also jump on their tales, if they have them, for 1ups. Bit of a shame i've just found this out after having 5-starred my file, but i'm sure i'll be playing through it again at some point.

• midi82 4 Mar 2012 16:44:53 678 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not sure if anyone still checks this thread but if they do can anyone help me getting 5 stars.I have checked the faqS and I think I have done everything needed. I have got all the star coins, completed every level with both mario and luigi and get yellow flags on all levels but I still only have 4 stars. I have all of the pictures as well.

Any ideas what I may be missing?
  • Kay 4 Mar 2012 17:03:22 17,955 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You also need to complete all the levels using a certain amount of lives, I think. If you lose five lives on one level the Tanooki help suit appears, and if that happens you basically have to start again.
  • Page

of 15 First / Last