Super Mario 3D Land Page 11

• Page

of 15 First / Last

• cowell 28 Nov 2011 10:53:57 683 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Special world is bastard-hard in places!
  • redcrayon 29 Nov 2011 14:40:57 4,544 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Finished up world 8 with all coins, the last four levels drained nearly 50 lives, and I've been playing the Mario games since the NES ones! It really starts to get tricky if you want those coins towards the end. Resisted using the invulnerable Tanooki suit, just the sight of it mocking me was enough to make me press on.

8.5 hours, was really pleased watching the end sequence, it encourages you to continue on so plenty of life left in it yet. Looking forward to the special worlds.

The final battle was quite epic too, what a gauntlet.

Minor points- The fireflower and boomerang suit felt like poor options compared to the standard Tanooki suit, that could hit the rotating wheels to lift you up for secrets, swipe 360 degrees at short range and slow your rate of descent, far more useful in a 3d platformer and especially useful for shortcuts and dodging around bowser when he appears.

Also, considering the level of variety on show, the stonework/metal traps/lava aesthetic of the castle levels felt a bit repetitive, but still, it's kinda visual shorthand for 'you're in bowser's lair' I suppose. After 25 years of dashing or racing a kart through the fiery fortresses, it might be nice to have a bit of a change though.

The airships are still quality though, love the music, very imperial and ominous.
  • cowell 29 Nov 2011 15:00:53 683 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Special stage 3-5, I flipping hate you....
  • cowell 30 Nov 2011 15:00:19 683 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is it just me of does Luigi in the Tanooki suit look like Scooby Doo?
  • roz123 30 Nov 2011 15:12:46 7,112 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think I will do a tanookiless run on this game when I fancy revisiting it in a year or two.
  • Phattso Moderator 30 Nov 2011 15:38:08 13,212 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is it even possible to get all the stars without the Tanookibollocks suit? Some of those cogs needed one, for example?
  • roz123 30 Nov 2011 15:44:14 7,112 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah they are out of reach without the "tanookibollocks"
  • Phattso Moderator 30 Nov 2011 15:45:42 13,212 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't like how that's making me feel....
  • roz123 30 Nov 2011 15:53:01 7,112 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Something about the Tanooki bollocks that the japanese admire

From wikipedia

A common schoolyard song in Japan makes explicit reference to the tanuki's anatomy:

Tan Tan Tanuki no kintama wa,
    Kaze mo nai no ni,
    Bura bura

" ' Tan-tan-tan ', tanuki's bollocks ring:
    The wind stops blowing but they swing, swing, swing. "

It continues for several verses, with many regional variations.
    It would have been a good end of level Mario celebration :)
  • Deleted user 30 November 2011 16:51:04
    Oooh, isn't this a lovely game to play.
  • Deleted user 30 November 2011 17:01:07
    My favourite ever Mario game. :) absolutely love it and I'm going to the effort of getting all the stars which I never do.
  • Phattso Moderator 30 Nov 2011 17:19:14 13,212 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mario 3D and the 3DS might be performing the same function as the original Phat DS back in the day: blowing out the cobwebs of a jaded gamer's mind.

That said, Cave Story 3D is doing a pretty fantastic job of that too.

Edited by Phattso at 17:24:09 30-11-2011
  • Kay 1 Dec 2011 09:52:25 17,762 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    S7-4 was a real bitch of a level, genuine fist pump moment when I finally finished it. The clone Mario levels certainly keep you on your toes.

Just the last few levels of S8 left now...
  • Jono62 1 Dec 2011 09:55:55 13,963 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hate those clone levels.
  • Zackv4861 1 Dec 2011 10:01:36 1,082 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Clone levels drive me crazy in Special worlds 7
  • Deleted user 1 December 2011 13:19:59
    i caved and got this yesterday, done world 2. loving this alot. Showed it to a mate, and i think his going to go and get a 3ds :). I got a lot of free time next week where i am at my parents house so saving it till then, but its hard not to play it. Right now.
  • Zackv4861 1 Dec 2011 13:47:08 1,082 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Secret ending has been revealed once saved data has 5 shiny stars. I have three so far.
  • Zackv4861 3 Dec 2011 17:36:11 1,082 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Finally beat the special worlds!! I had 2 stars before sorry now i have three. Great game!!!
  • redcrayon 3 Dec 2011 19:50:59 4,544 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm on special world 8, need to go back and get some coins. Man, I hate shadow mario, what a git!
  • Deleted user 3 December 2011 20:35:51
    Shame more people aren't giving this game more attention.

Dark horse GOTY contender imho.

It's just pure joy. In 3D.
  • Kay 3 Dec 2011 20:42:03 17,762 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    All worlds completed now, got four stars on my save slot. However, I don't know how to get the fifth star... I've tried doing the mystery boxes again and picking up medals from there, but I missed it on one and don't how to make the box reappear. Or maybe you can only get the fifth star by gold-flagging every single level. Apparently there's a secret final level - similar to the one in SMG2 - that then unlocks the secret ending.

Also, apparently you can only get five "shiny" stars if you complete all levels without getting the assist block at all. In other words, you can't die more than five times on any single level.
  • Derblington 3 Dec 2011 20:42:34 21,341 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A major Mario release a "dark horse" GOTy contender... You sure?
  • Kay 3 Dec 2011 20:48:53 17,762 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not everyone will see it as a major Mario release, though... it doesn't have the profile of the Galaxy games. Not saying portable games are inferior to home console games, but they just don't seem to get hyped as much.

Definitely up there with my GOTY though.
  • CharlieStCloud 3 Dec 2011 20:49:00 5,103 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    All worlds completed now, got four stars on my save slot. However, I don't know how to get the fifth star...
    You have now got to get ALL of the gold flags on each and every course as well as, no joke, completing each level with Luigi too!

I am nearly done (just Special World 6, 7 and 8 left to do) so, I shall let you know if it's worth the effort. I blooming hope so...
  • Deleted user 3 December 2011 20:49:36
    Derblington wrote:
    People are spunking over Batman AC, Deus Ex:HR, Skyrim and even earlier in the year LA:Noire at the mo as far as GOTY is concerned.

All utterly over rated undeserving. LA:Noire was bilge, DE was a bland greatest hits of games from the past 5 years that the original game had inspired, Batman was good but had an unnecessarily tacked on open world and Skyrim is good but bug riddled and horrendous poorly designed in some areas.
  • Kay 3 Dec 2011 20:51:11 17,762 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, I just read that too. Apparently you don't need to do all levels with Luigi though (as there is, as far as I know, nothing to indicate when you've completed a level with him) - just the final Bowser level, which unlocks an additional picture.
  • Kay 3 Dec 2011 20:52:53 17,762 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    Derblington wrote:
    People are spunking over Batman AC, Deus Ex:HR, Skyrim and even earlier in the year LA:Noire at the mo as far as GOTY is concerned.

All utterly over rated undeserving. LA:Noire was bilge, DE was a bland greatest hits of games from the past 5 years that the original game had inspired, Batman was good but had an unnecessarily tacked on open world and Skyrim is good but bug riddled and horrendous poorly designed in some areas.
    You can argue that Mario 3D Land does nothing that wasn't already in the Galaxy games, and done better there too. :)

Edited by Kay at 20:53:37 03-12-2011
  • CharlieStCloud 3 Dec 2011 20:55:01 5,103 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Oh, but if you would like to see five stars sitting on your profile, you need to get all three symbols that sit at the bottom of the course select; the two letters, 'M' and 'L' as well as a golden flag.
  • Derblington 3 Dec 2011 21:54:17 21,341 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    Derblington wrote:

You may think they don't deserve it but you're a fool if you can't see why they're being talked about.
  • Deleted user 4 December 2011 02:24:00
    Derblington wrote:
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    Derblington wrote:

You may think they don't deserve it but you're a fool if you can't see why they're being talked about.
    Because the gaming press hyped the fuck out of them?

SM3D is a better game than all of them and it got a fraction of their attention but i suppose, to be fair, the bit of attention it got has been very positive.
  • Page

of 15 First / Last