• Page

of 15 First / Last

• matt6666 23 Apr 2011 10:56:01 2,620 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Can't wait.
  • Deleted user 6 May 2011 23:01:58
    Miyamoto speaks!

Super Mario 3D will also make use of the gyro-sensor, and Miyamoto gives an insight into the design of the console itself. "Sometimes people ask why the 3DS isnít double stick," says Miyamoto. "One is normally used to control the camera, but having the gyro sensor you can replace the analogue stick by moving the console, which is very intuitive."

Intuitive?

Full Interview
  • neilka 6 May 2011 23:06:16 15,655 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's it, he's finally snapped. Go and get the shotgun and I'll tell him there's something I need to show him behind the barn.
  • roz123 7 May 2011 01:12:14 7,112 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    To be fair both the wiimote pointer and the motion sensors in the 3ds are a lot easier to get the hang of for non gamers then analogue sticks. That's why they don't use autoaim
  • Deleted user 7 May 2011 04:30:37
    Never understood the dual stick thing with cameras, was nice an easy having a button that focused the camera centrally then it got all complicated.

FPSs I can understand obviously.
  • ecureuil 7 May 2011 04:32:01 76,499 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Only you could complain about the camera on the right stick. :p
  • Deleted user 7 May 2011 04:34:57
    Me?

It's not much of a game if I need half a pad to control the camera IMO, barely need it in Mario 64 or Tomb Raider (shudder) so why in this day and age do we need them now.

Ocarina got it right first time.
  • Deleted user 7 May 2011 04:37:39
    I hope that makes sense?
  • ecureuil 7 May 2011 04:41:00 76,499 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ocarina isn't a 3D platformer, so it doesn't count. You don't need to make precision jumps.

Mario Galaxy has it right. Allow freedom of the camera for the most part, but lock it when appropriate.
  • Deleted user 7 May 2011 04:46:16
    Ocarina doesn't need to be a platform, you're still having to traverse a 3D world from a third person perspective, which in OoT is almost never an issue.

I never need camera control in SM64 or Tomb Raider either. Maybe my issue is that devs now expect you to control the camera as part of the game? It's an aspect I'm not fond of, which probably explains my lack of love for most third person games this gen.
  • ecureuil 7 May 2011 04:57:13 76,499 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I would say the fact that it's a platformer matters a great deal. You're in a 3D environment in a game, and some people like the ability to be able to look around that environment as they please. It's more of a chore if you can't control the camera, imo.
  • Deleted user 7 May 2011 05:06:47
    Maybe you've had a few more sherberts than me as that's not what I'm saying.

Any third person type game, IMO shouldn't have to rely on you controlling the camera, I personally think it's shit game design. Fair enough have camera controls there, but I really do believe games designers (of what are left) should be making a game where you're controlling the character and action, not the camera.

I'm excluding shiiters here, they're in the same category as the FPS
  • seasidebaz 7 May 2011 21:36:31 6,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CrispyXUK64 wrote:
    Me?

It's not much of a game if I need half a pad to control the camera IMO, barely need it in Mario 64 or Tomb Raider (shudder) so why in this day and age do we need them now.

Ocarina got it right first time.

QFMFT
  • ecureuil 7 May 2011 21:56:07 76,499 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CrispyXUK64 wrote:

Any third person type game, IMO shouldn't have to rely on you controlling the camera, I personally think it's shit game design. Fair enough have camera controls there, but I really do believe games designers (of what are left) should be making a game where you're controlling the character and action, not the camera.

Not really sure I'm following you then. Nothing should "rely" on you changing the camera, but it sure is nice if they let you choose where you want to look.
  • CosmicFuzz 7 May 2011 22:16:25 23,189 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm not too worried. Mario Galaxy games control amazing with just one stick so no reason this should be different.

Looking for a new gaming podcast to listen to? LOOK NO FURTHER!

• redcrayon 7 May 2011 22:44:14 4,544 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    CrispyXUK64 wrote:

What about WRPGs?

I agree that the camera on well-designed action games like Zelda etc shouldn't need to be adjusted by the player, but I like to take in the surroundings in something like Fallout 3, have a think about where to go next etc, see if anything looks interesting on the horizon. It helps with immersion.
  • Toonster 7 May 2011 22:53:42 6,835 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Did they? Sorry, didn't actually see the announcement!

These? (scroll down to the bottom)

Er, aren't these two different things?

The pictures above are from the 3D platformer they announced way back, isn't Super Mario Bros a 2D side-scroller?

3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)

• ecureuil 7 May 2011 23:01:09 76,499 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No, they haven't announced a 2D Mario game for 3DS. This is the Super Mario Bros. game they announced.
  • Toonster 7 May 2011 23:04:12 6,835 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh, OK, when the title was Super Mario Bros, I immediately thought a sequel to NSMB

3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)

• mal 7 May 2011 23:10:37 22,336 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Super Mario Bros is a 2D scroller - on the NES. AFAIK only one mario platformer has been announced for the 3DS and that's the game those screenshots represent, and the topic of this thread.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• mal 7 May 2011 23:13:19 22,336 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fuck, server dropped my last post, so I had to retype it, which ain't that quick on a phone.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Kay 7 May 2011 23:56:23 17,761 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    I'm not too worried. Mario Galaxy games control amazing with just one stick so no reason this should be different.

It worked well with SMG because most of the levels were quite small and linear. For platformers with bigger levels and an emphasis on exploration - like Mario Sunshine - I'd much rather have a flexible, user-controlled camera.

Of course, we still don't know what type of platformer SMB 3DS is going to be. I very much doubt Miyamoto is expecting the gyrosensor to be an acceptable substitute for full camera control on a right analogue stick. More likely it'll be used in a similar way to the AR games, moving the console around to get a quick view of the area around you - I can see that working, although it wouldn't be ideal on public transport.
  • roz123 9 May 2011 09:52:17 7,112 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It will probably be like Zelda OoT where you can go first person and use the analogue stick or the gyro sensor to look around.
    I reckon a proper shooter that used the gyro like in face raiders but with the circle pad for movement could be quite good if you were sitting on a swivel chair.
  • Deleted user 8 June 2011 01:05:59
    Cam Footage

It appears that two arrows on the touch screen represent the camera buttons.
  • Raiko101 8 Jun 2011 01:25:15 6,064 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Similar to Super Mario 64, if I remember correctly.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• roz123 8 Jun 2011 01:41:36 7,112 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Not the best video to watch on the iPhone but that music alone makes me want it. I wonder if they can fit as many ideas onto this as galaxy 2
  • roz123 8 Jun 2011 11:29:52 7,112 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=haAlNdI16bE

Some more cam footage
    Looks like there are probably 3 big coins to collect in each level, graphics and gameplay look good.

Theres more on youtube if you search.
  • famous_roy 9 Jun 2011 16:07:49 4,098 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That vid is private roz.

This vid sums up why I want this game to the point of dribbling. Basically a 3D Super Mario 3. The controls, the look and... just everything seems pretty damn spot on to me.

I'm papercaves on the Twitter. This is mah Tumblr and I'm ulysseys31 on PSN :D

• roz123 9 Jun 2011 19:33:59 7,112 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hmm it was fine when I linked it.

Nintendo World Report have a load of videos of the games at E3 with the audio recorded properly.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwrL7iZEJ7s
  • Kay 9 Jun 2011 19:43:18 17,761 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Looks cute as heck, and nice to see they're going back to old-school Mario instead of trying to ape the Galaxy games. I want.
  • Page

of 15 First / Last