Six Nations Rugby 2011

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous
  • thenastypasty 1 Feb 2011 07:55:21 5,180 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The six nations starts this Friday and in my opinion it promises to be one of the closest for years.

It kicks off this Friday with Gods Country(Wales)vsThe old Enemy(England).

A quick run down of the teams:

Wales:May struggle this year with losing both Gethin Jenkins and Adam Jones from the front row and not really having a settled back row.On the positive side we have a great Center partnership in Hook and Roberts and in Lee Byrne and Shane Williams we have real attacking options.

England:Along with France I'd say they are pre tournament favourites.They were outstanding against the Aussies in the autumn with the back three posing a threat every time they had ball in hand.Downside losing Moody, Courtney Lawes and especially Tom Croft for his line out work.

France:As I said above France are pre tournament favourites with England.They have a really powerful front 5 and backs that can cut any team in the world to pieces. Were I do fear for them is they don't really have a world class fly-half who can dictate the game and if you can put them under pressure early they can buckle.

Ireland:Any team lead by Brain O'Driscoll has half a chance but I think they could struggle. It's going to be a big six nations for the likes of Jonny Sexton, Kevin McLaughlin and Gavin Duffy. Tommy Bowe is going to be a big lose and with a lot of the Irish carrying  injuries it could be hard work.

Scotland:Dark horses of the championship for me and may well upset some of the favourites but only if their pack delivers quick ball.Having Dan Parks in the side can be both a blessing and a curse because of the over reliance of his boot.Need to score more tries in order to compete with bigger teams more consistently.

Italy:You know what you're going to get with the Italians.Big bruising forwards who are up for a scrap and have in captain Sergio Parisse  a really top quality leader.

There we have it, let battle commence!
  • THFourteen 1 Feb 2011 08:00:56 33,147 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    oh great this is back again. back to running around like a madman trying to find a pub showing the football instead of the rugby at the last minute.
  • Alastair 1 Feb 2011 08:11:10 15,597 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Are the England home games still on Sky, with all the other games on BBC?

Not as nice as I used to be

• JuanKerr 1 Feb 2011 08:12:21 36,239 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Looking forward to this - makes a refreshing change from the absolute bullshit circus that is the premier league nowadays.
  • thenastypasty 1 Feb 2011 08:13:30 5,180 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Are the England home games still on Sky, with all the other games on BBC?

I don't think they have ever been on sky, have they?
  • Alastair 1 Feb 2011 08:15:10 15,597 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Err, I thought that they used to be. I'm a bit simple sometimes though, so maybe I'm getting mixed up with the Lions tours, which are definitely on Sky.

• JuanKerr 1 Feb 2011 08:15:21 36,239 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I think it's still a terrestrial TV event thankfully. Sky would only fuck it up with tedious over-analysis anyway.
  • thenastypasty 1 Feb 2011 08:21:16 5,180 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Plus if it went to Sky we would lose the delightful Brian Moore's commentary!
  • THFourteen 1 Feb 2011 08:24:54 33,147 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Yeah, I think it's still a terrestrial TV event thankfully. Sky would only fuck it up with healthy doses of sexism anyway.
  • Alastair 1 Feb 2011 08:26:33 15,597 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    thenastypasty wrote:
    Plus if it went to Sky we would lose the delightful Brian Moore's commentary!

"That's ridiculous. The referee doesn't know what he's doing with this scrum."
    /repeat at each scrum collapse

• boo 1 Feb 2011 08:30:15 11,739 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Come on Wales!

/pins up Welsh flag
    /eats daffodils

Just Another Lego Blog

• ToonMonkey 1 Feb 2011 08:37:35 306 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    /shits on daffodils

Come on England!
  • Captain_America 1 Feb 2011 11:53:02 429 posts
    Seen 48 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    'Mon Scotland.

Will we manage to score some tries this year..? Probably not.

Last game I went to was the Autumn international when NZ dicked us 50 - 3.

/optimism
  • sport 1 Feb 2011 11:58:34 12,684 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Forza Italia!!!!
  • billythekid 1 Feb 2011 12:02:48 11,103 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mange tout, vive la France!

:)
  • Dougs 1 Feb 2011 12:09:32 67,121 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Damn, no chance of catching the first game. Tis the wife's and my dad's birthdays Sat, and we're celebrating my wife's Fri night and Dad's Sat.
  • Murbal 1 Feb 2011 12:10:10 22,068 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gonna be a tight game on Friday, I honestly don't think Wales will lose by much ;-)
  • Orange 1 Feb 2011 12:16:38 4,740 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There are too many injuries, looks like whichever team grinds out results regardless will be champs. France have the best squad but their form has been pretty poor recently.
  • thenastypasty 1 Feb 2011 12:20:33 5,180 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I blame Marc Lievremont for that, he still doesn't know is strongest first 15 FFS!
  • Malace81 1 Feb 2011 12:53:38 190 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    With Lawes Moody and Croft missing I think England's pack will struggle. Be a very tight game against the Welsh.
  • thenastypasty 1 Feb 2011 12:55:30 5,180 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Very diplomatic that Mal:-)
  • Malace81 1 Feb 2011 13:00:05 190 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm worried we'll get turned over in all honesty. If Wales play it tight to the rucks and up the jumper they'll do well. If it's open think englands back three will win the game.
  • thenastypasty 1 Feb 2011 13:17:09 5,180 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I agree, that's why losing Gethin Jenkins and Adam Jones is such a blow. If England get quick ball it could be a hammering.
  • Alastair 1 Feb 2011 13:18:17 15,597 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Malace81 wrote:
    If it's open think englands back three will win the game.

The ball has to get to them first...

/was a winger who wasn't passed the ball enough

• TOOTR 1 Feb 2011 13:37:40 9,516 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wales to win by 6 points. Thanks to solid continuity play from our front five. Although we will miss our two lions in the front row.

Shane Williams to get isolated and lose the turnover - twice.

Shane Williams to do something miraculous and set up/score a try - once. Crucially.

If lee Byrne misses penalty kicks to touch at critical moments in the games ebb and flow he must be killed with fire.

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• thenastypasty 1 Feb 2011 13:40:37 5,180 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You're still holding a grudge against Lee Bryne then toots:-)
  • fergal_oc 1 Feb 2011 13:47:54 2,763 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    He's got every right to pasty, Lee Byrne has managed to turn himself from the best full-back in the world to some weird chump who's forgotten how to think... hrumph
  • thenastypasty 1 Feb 2011 13:52:04 5,180 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pre Lions tour he was on fire, I agree his decision making of late has been poor and god knows how many times he missed touch at crucial times during the autumn internationals.
  • Mr_Sleep 1 Feb 2011 13:54:44 16,929 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    thenastypasty wrote:
    Scotland:Dark horses of the championship for me and may well upset some of the favourites but only if their pack delivers quick ball.Having Dan Parks in the side can be both a blessing and a curse because of the over reliance of his boot.Need to score more tries in order to compete with bigger teams more consistently.

I think Dan Parks proved in the last Six Nations that he can do more than just kick, he was probably the player of the tournament and I think he might do well again.

Wales however are screwed imo, I have even less confidence than usual. The Guardian did a piece that summed up some of the problems faced by Wales and the most obvious one is at the breakdown, we're going to lose lots of penalties and that will be our downfall.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Mr_Sleep 1 Feb 2011 13:55:41 16,929 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TOOTR wrote:
    If lee Byrne misses penalty kicks to touch at critical moments in the games ebb and flow he must be killed with fire.

Still etched on my brain too :-/

You are a factory of sadness.

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous