Super Bowl XLV

• Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 31 January 2011 22:12:58
    Steelers Vs Packers

Live on BBC 1 from 11pm on Sunday. I've stocked myself up with beer and amerisnacks in preparation. Woo!

/only vaguely understands American Football

/likes it when people get hurt

Smash! Smash!
  • localnotail 31 Jan 2011 22:27:44 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is this part of the Green Card indoctrination process?

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Deleted user 31 January 2011 22:30:18
    I think it's part of the constitution.
  • localnotail 31 Jan 2011 22:35:45 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Like the right to arm bears?

• dnbuk 31 Jan 2011 22:36:37 4,958 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Packers.
  • the_dudefather 31 Jan 2011 22:37:46 9,418 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    dnbuk wrote:
    PACKERS!!!!!

fixed

(ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

• localnotail 31 Jan 2011 22:39:52 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Steelers. I had Pitsburgh Steelers pajamas when I was a kid. Let's go Black and Gold, let's go! etc.

• HoriZon 31 Jan 2011 22:41:43 13,601 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Poor man's rugby, no thanks.

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• Dynamize 31 Jan 2011 22:43:04 1,672 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's mildly interesting: they're named after their original sponsor, a canned meat packing company. Pack the meat, into cans.

Everyone knows the Oakland Raiders were the best, because they had crossed swords on their badge and they're the only other American football team I'm aware of. Oh, and they have a violent reputation perhaps, which reminds me of Blood Bowl.
  • riz23 31 Jan 2011 22:59:39 1,471 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    PACKERS!
    /is a cheesehead

GT: oldskooldeano

• pinebear 31 Jan 2011 23:09:23 8,565 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I believe the correct terminology is "GO PACKERS! !"

Could be wrong on that though. Special teams, hook long and that.

• Khanivor 31 Jan 2011 23:09:50 41,294 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    HoriZon wrote:

Yeah, when one player in the NFL earns more in a year then every fucker playing rugby on the entire planet and they are selling tickets to watch the game in the parking lot of the stadium for close to $300...
  • the_dudefather 31 Jan 2011 23:14:37 9,418 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    /cue 'why is it called football, football is called football already'

(ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

• JBlokeUK 31 Jan 2011 23:14:59 2,307 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    GO STEELERS!!!!

I like it when he's angry.

• sport 31 Jan 2011 23:26:55 12,811 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    YES Gremmi, we get it, she's American, WE KNOW!!!!
  • HoriZon 1 Feb 2011 01:02:02 13,601 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    HoriZon wrote:

Yeah, when one player in the NFL earns more in a year then every fucker playing rugby on the entire planet and they are selling tickets to watch the game in the parking lot of the stadium for close to $300...

Big girls with loads of armour on, stop and start every few mins and oh yeah football? They carry the thing for most of the game.

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• urban 1 Feb 2011 01:07:45 11,070 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How the fuck did BBC get the licence for this? I'm watching it at Abertay Union in Dundee, cheap boooooooze.
  • LionheartDJH 1 Feb 2011 01:09:20 19,549 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    HoriZon wrote:

American Football > Rugby

The Superbowl is bigger than any event that could ever be staged in rugby.

She dives for cheese pasties

• ecu 1 Feb 2011 01:11:27 77,336 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    HoriZon wrote:

Not that I'm taking sides here, but just because the event is bigger and the stars get paid more and it's more glamorous, does not mean it's better.
  • urban 1 Feb 2011 01:13:00 11,070 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Steelers Vs Packers

Live on BBC 1 from 11pm on Sunday. I've stocked myself up with beer and amerisnacks in preparation. Woo!

/only vaguely understands American Football

/likes it when people get hurt

Smash! Smash!

Ummm that's only a segment on the superbowl - I don't see no live coverage...
  • LionheartDJH 1 Feb 2011 01:13:36 19,549 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    HoriZon wrote:
    Khanivor wrote:
    HoriZon wrote:

Big girls with loads of armour on, stop and start every few mins and oh yeah football? They carry the thing for most of the game.

You do realise that the fact they wear protection actually makes them more inclined to smash into each other and do damage? You'd never see some of the hard hits you get in the NFL in rugby because it's too dangerous without protection. Even with the armour players still get injured. And er is rugby not actually officially called 'rugby football'?

The ignorance of people over here to this sport never ceases to amaze me.

• LionheartDJH 1 Feb 2011 01:18:42 19,549 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    HoriZon wrote:

Not that I'm taking sides here, but just because the event is bigger and the stars get paid more and it's more glamorous, does not mean it's better.

You're quite right ecu it does not. My first point was opinion, the second was objective fact. I apologise I should have made it clearer. Fwiw I don't think you can objectively compare sports in that manner as obviously everybody has their own preferences, but it'd be nice if people actually knew a little bit about the sport they were trashing before trotting out the same old clichés about it.

• urban 1 Feb 2011 01:19:02 11,070 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Can we please not turn this into a which sport is better thread? It's dull as balls! You're either going to watch it or your not.

I watched my first American Football and first superbowl all in one night last year and I thought it was great fun! Helluva show, I can imagine the amount of advertising they heap on the American coverage.
  • JBlokeUK 1 Feb 2011 01:19:44 2,307 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I love these comparisons to Rugby every time American Football is mentioned. Do people just see that the game is play with a similar shaped ball and scream 'IT'S LIKE RUGBY!!!!111!!'?

If you actually sit down and watch the Superbowl, or any American Football game, you'll see it's NOTHING like Rugby. Completely different rules and style of play. For me there is a lot more skill involved in the NFL than Rugby.

The NFL is so unpredictable, which is what makes it great to watch, imo. Back to the Superbowl though, this one is going to be a bruiser, especially when you consider how good both teams are defensively.

• ecu 1 Feb 2011 01:23:24 77,336 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I find NFL to be oddly paced. Discomfortingly so.

I watch a fair bit of NFL when I'm over in the States (which is quite regularly) and it's a lot of fun to be out at a bar over there watching it, but I don't enjoy it as much when I'm watching it in the UK.
  • urban 1 Feb 2011 01:25:21 11,070 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's why I'm going to a students Union with 10 American's :) 7 of them hot single fembots. I like that ratio.
  • LionheartDJH 1 Feb 2011 01:25:22 19,549 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I apologise urban, I've said my piece and I'll stop now :).

Heh really? That's great. It was a great ball game, despite the fact that my team lost :(. I've been watching since the 06 one, though the 07 one is still the best I've seen, where the Giants beat the Pats who were gunning for that perfect season. The whole show aspect is fantastic, and I can't imagine how great it is to actually be there. The advertising is crazy, costs millions of dollars just for one 30 second ad. But at least over here we get decent coverage from BBC and Sky, both of which are very welcoming to newcomers, so it's always best to start off with the sport by watching the SB, then going on from there.

Definitely looking forward to this one, should be a good game. 11am lecture the next day, but I'm not bothering, a 6 pack of Asda knock-off Red Bull should sort that out :)

• urban 1 Feb 2011 01:27:41 11,070 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LionheartDJH wrote:

Definitely looking forward to this one, should be a good game. 11am lecture the next day, but I'm not bothering, a 6 pack of Asda knock-off Red Bull should sort that out :)

A sure fire way to turn your Liver against you.
  • JBlokeUK 1 Feb 2011 01:28:01 2,307 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    so it's always best to start off with the sport by watching the SB, then going on from there.

Good advice mate. My wife sat down with me to watch the Steelers vs Cardinals SB and now she's into the NFL and is a Bears fan, as am I, but likes the Cardinals as she rooted for them in that SB.

• Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous