Pandora's Tower Page 3

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Next
  • Rufus 14 Apr 2012 11:53:57 1,754 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Arrived this morning! Good old Shopto! Though, like with 99% of all special editions I've received in the post, its been slightly bashed. Ah well.

Time to get it on!
  • Rufus 14 Apr 2012 13:42:53 1,754 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, i've spent about an hour and a half on it and I'm enjoying it so far. Quickly switched from CCP back to the wiimote/nunchuck combo! Controls are fairly satisfying and combat is nice and simple. Completely agree with EG's comparison to the PS2 era Castlevania games.

Oh and the frame rate seems steady which I was relieved at. The Last Story really annoyed me in that regard.
  • FabricatedLunatic 16 Apr 2012 13:32:30 13,013 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My copy still hasn't arrived. It was last seen leaving the wrong Home Delivery Network depot on Friday 13th... most inauspicious.
  • Mageme 16 Apr 2012 13:48:17 2,016 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No movement on my copy either; was hoping it would be delivered today but it's still in the HDN depot. Least I managed to finish The Last Story at the weekend.

3DS: 5086-1465-9252

• FabricatedLunatic 17 Apr 2012 11:12:08 13,013 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It has arrived. HDN finally lived up to the first two words of their name. I'm impressed.

The outer box is... well, kind of crappy to be frank, but the art book is lovely and well worth paying the extra couple of quid over Amazon for. Probably not going to play the game just yet but I already have the regular case sitting in the box alongside Xenoblade, The Last Story, and the artbook. The steelbooks I'll display separately.
  • chrisp 17 Apr 2012 17:12:46 474 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone received the email yet about the coin collection? I just got a message telling me to keep an eye on my inbox.
  • HiddenAway 17 Apr 2012 20:31:26 14,894 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rufus wrote:
    Arrived this morning! Good old Shopto! Though, like with 99% of all special editions I've received in the post, its been slightly bashed. Ah well.

Time to get it on!
    My copy arrived today from ShopTo as well (stupid coin collection taunted me). Pristine condition this time. No squashing whatsoever! \o/

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• Pulse/Surreal 20 Apr 2012 16:58:01 2 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    What is the general consensus on the game? I have it but I'm having a difficult time enjoying it. I felt as though the game started off way too quickly, not giving you time to get to known Elena and see her before she gets cursed. It all happened in the opening cutscene which took away the feeling of wanting to actually save her.

I'm not a fan of the action or animations - it's all too stiff and slow.

A lot of the reviews seem to love this game, so maybe I'm missing something here.

Does anyone else feel the same way or is it just me?
  • figaro7 6 May 2012 08:53:57 1,363 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It is an enjoyable game for sure but its not without its technical hiccups, the fixed camera for one and the framerate does chug after a while.

The time limit isnt as bad as i first thought, early in the game i passed a few towers by a whisker, but then i started abusing flesh and when time was getting low id whip back to the observatory and top elena up with flesh. I did that quite a bit by games end.

Thankfully as well checkpoints and a quick save are nice options to have and you dont feel like your losing too much ground with these additions.

The combat grows on you, but the biggest hurdle in that is again the camera angle, it nearly ruins the combat. The actual chain and combo mechanics of the weapons are quite good, its not super deep but once you learn to use the chain along with the weapons its quite satisfying.

The bosses are quite the highlight, some require a ton of patience, some require some quick reflexes but all are very satisfying as well once youve ripped there hearts out.

I quite enjoyed the puzzle design in this and even though every tower involves breaking chains it never really felt repetitive and each tower threw something a little different than the last. It is zeldaesque in a way and also very rewarding once youve conquered some puzzles, the last tower in particular was a doozy.

The graphics at times look great and i know its meant to be a gloomy looking game but it can look dull at times. The sound is equally as gloomy and suits the mood very well.

If this was tidied up more in the technical department it could have been a stellar title, but as it is, its an enjoyable adventure and is unlike anything else on the wii.
  • santashi 7 May 2012 09:12:09 5,139 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    They haven't started giving them yet. ;) I know I paid nearly a fiver more but I do think the extra artbook was a nice bonus. Hope you enjoy the game!

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• GoneTomorrow 1 Jun 2012 21:52:32 294 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Up to the fifth tower. PT is my first Wii game and it's made for a great introduction to the 'pointer' control system. It can be a bit of a bother targeting though, what with the forced camera angles and the game expecting you to target different body parts of enemies... when it comes more down to luck due to how far the camera is zoomed out / PS2 graphics.

As much as I've enjoyed the twisted take on the typical silent white knight + princess story, beyond its premise there's been next to nothing added. A rushed-to-the-extreme 60 sec intro and brief flashbacks seem to be it as far as setup goes. In truth I was pleased by how it got right done to the nitty-gritty... but it does leave the relationships and whatnot shallow. But, on the plus side, it's hard not to feel sympathy for Elena as she's forced to eat purple gunk-meat or transform into a beast.

Usually I don't like 'time trial' games. It does work rather well in the case of PT - adding an edge of tension to proceedings as I find myself forced to rush through the towers - but it what it really comes down to is all but the first few towers requiring 2-3 visits. There's naturally a lot of backtracking that comes with it. So, instead of just getting on with the game, more often than not I find myself watching the clock then rushing back to feed my lady some meat. It just ain't healthy...

What's bugging me more than the forced backtracking is the optional backtrackery. It seems each tower holds specific items, and weapon upgrades require a hefty chunk of those items. I can see these leading to much pain as I try to find items in towers long since vanquished, just to kill things faster. Backtracking on top of backtracking = UGH!

Complaints aside, I'm glad I paid 20 for it and wish I'd got the SE. (Only just got a Wii. Would've pre-ordred the three JRPG SEs, had I jumped in earlier...) It's just, it's a hard game to play at length when it's so damn repetitive, with the added time restrictive fun added in. I can only find the drive to do one dungeon at a time. Seeing the same Elena eating animation over and over and/or getting the same text from her when trying to improve my social link for the endgame futon scene adds to the tedium.
  • Mageme 16 Jul 2012 09:25:19 2,016 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm still playing this; not making much progress (and I'm being dragged away by Theatrhythm). Anyone got any tips for beating the Ironclad Turrent boss quicker? It's taking ages to thwack him until he overheats and then pull the flesh only to remove an extremely tiny amount of energy from his energy bar. I haven't levelled up my weapons much, is that the problem?

3DS: 5086-1465-9252

• FabricatedLunatic 16 Jul 2012 09:37:53 13,013 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That boss can take a good few hits to put down, so it's definitely worth upgrading one of your weapons (I used the scythe mostly). As long as you're pulling the chain to its limit you should be taking a fair chunk of its health, though.

I finished Pandora's Tower last month, getting the best ending, and I thought it was solid. The bosses and time limit can be a bit frustrating, but it scratched a dungeon-crawling action RPG itch. Liked it better than the last Zelda and Castlevania anyway /o\
  • Armoured_Bear 7 Aug 2012 21:56:21 11,272 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I just finished the first tower and....it's ok, pretty shitty graphics and far from great voice acting so far but decent controls, it's not bad just nothing special.

Does it get much better?

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• CharlieStCloud 9 Aug 2012 07:10:06 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I just finished the first tower and....it's ok, pretty shitty graphics and far from great voice acting so far but decent controls, it's not bad just nothing special.

Does it get much better?
    Sorry to go off topic a little bit however, have you tried 'The Last Story'...?

Whilst I openly admit I could never find the time to see Xenoblade Chronicles all the way through, I would happily rank it alongside with one another as one of the best RPG on the Wii.

The music is lovely, the battle system is pleasingly swift, has characters you soon find yourself starting to care about and of course, excellent visuals (for the Wii) and a story that carries you all the way through until the end.

Oh, just thinking about the game makes me happy!

... : )
  • Armoured_Bear 9 Aug 2012 12:26:52 11,272 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @CharlieStCloud
    I just ordered it fromAmazon, I finishedXenoblade and adored it so I'll be happy if you're right, I think PT will end up abandoned though :-(

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• CharlieStCloud 9 Aug 2012 12:50:00 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I wish I could wipe my memory and play 'The Last Story' all over again ... it is my favourite Wii game along with Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Boom Blox!

Let me know how much you enjoy the game ... or at least I blooming hope so!
  • chrisp 13 Oct 2012 17:29:44 474 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just finished The Last Story and loved it. Now I've started on this and have a question: how do you get the items from Elena that she makes for you? Right at the very start of the game I gave her some dryad berries and she said she'd make me a cake. Also, after finishing the first tower I gave her some medicinal moss and she said she'd make some medicine, and let me know when it was ready. However, I haven't received either of these two items - are they just supposed to appear in my inventory? How do I get them?
  • Bragelonne 13 Oct 2012 18:01:34 563 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    chrisp wrote:
    Just finished The Last Story and loved it. Now I've started on this and have a question: how do you get the items from Elena that she makes for you? Right at the very start of the game I gave her some dryad berries and she said she'd make me a cake. Also, after finishing the first tower I gave her some medicinal moss and she said she'd make some medicine, and let me know when it was ready. However, I haven't received either of these two items - are they just supposed to appear in my inventory? How do I get them?
    She'll present them to you when you talk to her.
    I'm not sure how much game time has to elapse but it will happen eventually.
  • chrisp 13 Oct 2012 18:22:43 474 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Aha, hopefully I'll still get them then! She's already managed to sew a bedcover, though, but no cake or medicine yet!
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Next