Revolution in the middle east Page 4

• Page

of 84 First / Last

• Deleted user 28 January 2011 21:27:46
    US to review aid to egypt
  • Tom_Servo 28 Jan 2011 21:31:22 17,948 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The fire at an NPD building could affect the Egyptian Museum, but people are forming a shield round it.

Faith in humans = restored.
  • Khanivor 28 Jan 2011 21:35:20 40,735 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    BabyJesus wrote:
    For one I'd actually pick up the phone and tell Mubarek he has to atleast make some concessions.

The last thing the west and the US in particular needs to be seen doing in the middle east is propping up a unpopular dictator. We could end up with another Iran.

How did you get access to the phone conversations between Obama and Mubarak?

It would obviously be preferable is Egypt wound up being ruled in a more pleasant fashion. However, from what I can gather, Egypt's biggest problems are social rather than political. All around that region you've got huge numbers of young, unemployed men. Figuring out what to do about that obviously isn't easy, especially when you're not trying very hard :(
  • Deleted user 28 January 2011 21:37:29
    sigh...

beezer from the comments tho:

Reagan's Soldier

01/28/11 11:49

Link

Report Abuse
    Iran is behind these protests. This is a clear attempt to bring an Islamist government to power in Egypt. The threat to America is dire. The threat to Israel is mortal.

America should launch airstrikes against the protesters. If Mubarak falls, and the new government includes any Muslims, we should launch a preemptive strike before the new government can hurt Israel.

• BabyJesus 28 Jan 2011 21:38:06 4,412 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    BabyJesus wrote:
    For one I'd actually pick up the phone and tell Mubarek he has to atleast make some concessions.

The last thing the west and the US in particular needs to be seen doing in the middle east is propping up a unpopular dictator. We could end up with another Iran.
    How did you get access to the phone conversations between Obama and Mubarak?

It would obviously be preferable is Egypt wound up being ruled in a more pleasant fashion. However, from what I can gather, Egypt's biggest problems are social rather than political. All around that region you've got huge numbers of young, unemployed men. Figuring out what to do about that obviously isn't easy, especially when you're not trying very hard :(
    Robert Gibbs said Obama hadn't spoke to anyone.
  • TechnoHippy 28 Jan 2011 21:38:41 14,714 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    There's certainly something to be said for the use of technology in orchestrating these protests. It's rather ironic how the use of US military power to keep regimes afloat has been replaced with people empowered by the products of American private enterprise.

This is an interesting observation about what may have led to the protests. Shame it's written like a first year's essay.

It's quite well known that the increasing use of mobile phones in the community helped the coalition forces against the insurgency in Iraq and Afganistan. The locals get pissed off with being pushed around, call in the troops. Of course the other side use mobiles to good effect too.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Tom_Servo 28 Jan 2011 21:39:40 17,948 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    9.33pm GMT: The speaker of Egypt's People's Assembly has told an Egyptian satellite channel that "an important matter will be announced in a short time". The speaker, Fathi Sorour, was talking to the Mehwar channel and gave no further details, according to Reuters.

The speaker of the assembly is the first in the line of succession to become president of Egypt if the incumbent dies or is incapacitated.
  • Deleted user 28 January 2011 21:41:41
    reports of copts on the protest lines surrounding/protecting muslims from the riot police while they take time to pray without leaving the protests

it's a fucked up world, but sometimes I'm blown away by our humanity
  • Khanivor 28 Jan 2011 21:41:49 40,735 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    BabyJesus wrote:

Oops, I forgot that press secretaries are bound in blood to always tell the whole truth all of the time :)
  • Tom_Servo 28 Jan 2011 21:43:17 17,948 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    cozeny wrote:
    reports of copts on the protest lines surrounding/protecting muslims from the riot police while they take time to pray without leaving the protests

There's some amazing photos of this going around. Between this and the Egyptian Museum shield, it's proving to be rather humanity-affirming stuff at times.
  • BabyJesus 28 Jan 2011 21:45:44 4,412 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Also social problems easily become political problems. Everything I've seen leads me to believe it has become a political problem, pretty much every news outlet agrees with this.
  • Khanivor 28 Jan 2011 21:46:53 40,735 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    cozeny wrote:

So often it takes the worst to bring out the best. It gives ya hope that we all might just make it.
  • Tom_Servo 28 Jan 2011 21:47:28 17,948 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    cozeny wrote:

So often it takes the worst to bring out the best. It gives ya hope that we all might just make it.

A quick Google reveals there to be a meteor heading our way :(
  • BabyJesus 28 Jan 2011 21:47:31 4,412 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    BabyJesus wrote:
    Oops, I forgot that press secretaries are bound in blood to always tell the whole truth all of the time :)
    What would be the point denying it?
  • Khanivor 28 Jan 2011 21:51:18 40,735 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    To not appear to Egyptians to be meddling in their affairs? Because he didn't want to answer follow-up questions as to what was said between them?
  • BabyJesus 28 Jan 2011 21:57:54 4,412 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    To not appear to Egyptians to be meddling in their affairs? Because he didn't want to answer follow-up questions as to what was said between them?
    They give 1.5bn a year aid, a phone call wouldn't be seen as more meddling than that.
  • Tom_Servo 28 Jan 2011 22:05:25 17,948 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Beck weighs in
  • dnbuk 28 Jan 2011 22:09:23 4,948 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fire getting close to the national museum =(
  • mcmonkeyplc 28 Jan 2011 22:14:27 39,456 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    Beck weighs in

What a fucking prick. Someone in fox rise up and kill him.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• mcmonkeyplc 28 Jan 2011 22:15:14 39,456 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Where can I see these pictures?

Come and get it cumslingers!

• dnbuk 28 Jan 2011 22:18:44 4,948 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mubarak speaking right now: http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/
  • dnbuk 28 Jan 2011 22:29:31 4,948 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mubarak has told the Government to step down and a new Government will be announced tomorrow.
  • Tom_Servo 28 Jan 2011 22:31:07 17,948 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Surely the new government will be a continuation of the old one? The people want Mubarak out. I don't think this will appease them, but we'll have to wait and see.
  • Khanivor 28 Jan 2011 22:51:24 40,735 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    BabyJesus wrote:
    Khanivor wrote:

They give 1.5bn a year aid, a phone call wouldn't be seen as more meddling than that.

It's the difference between receiving Housing Benefit and having someone from the council come into your house and tell you to do the dishes right that second.
  • Deleted user 28 January 2011 22:53:30
    "I know y'all hate me that's why I'm firing my staff"

playing for time to figure out some way to step aside without being killed/tried for crimes/imprisoned/whatever
  • brokenkey 28 Jan 2011 22:54:42 7,028 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If the current government has been asked to step down tonight, and a new one in tomorrow, they haven't given themselves much time to stuff the ballot boxes. Maybe that explains where Mubarak has been all week.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• Deleted user 28 January 2011 22:59:05
    mubarak looking very sprightly for 83
  • Tom_Servo 28 Jan 2011 22:59:41 17,948 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Must be mates with Berlusconi's surgeon.
  • lucky_jim 28 Jan 2011 23:21:52 5,294 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    All those people chanting "down with Mubarak" and he sacks his cabinet. Priceless.
  • Deleted user 28 January 2011 23:24:01
    mubarak had this to say on internet connectivity: "probably your router; try turning it off and back on again."
  • Page

of 84 First / Last