• fletch7100 20 Jul 2012 19:07:21 7,191 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    U.S. Foreign Aid to Israel

Edited by fletch7100 at 19:08:31 20-07-2012
  • MrDigital 19 Aug 2012 21:16:15 1,866 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Am I missing the Syria thread somewhere? This has had no posts since July, and both official and DB's unofficial forum searches turned up nothing for my searches.

Where are people talking about the Syrian Civil War?

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• Tom_Servo 19 Aug 2012 21:19:27 17,495 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This is the thread. There hasn't really been a great deal of discussion about it. I think it's probably because there's a horrible air of inevitability about it all: lots of people are dying every day and despite Assad's regime seemingly crumbling there doesn't appear to be a light at the end of the tunnel quite yet.

Even if Assad goes - whether willingly or by force - I expect the sectarian conflict will drag on for some time afterwards.

Were the rumours about the vice president defecting true?
  • MrDigital 19 Aug 2012 22:05:23 1,866 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I see - still seems a bit surprising that it's as long as a whole month. Anyhow... :)

It's still unknown at this moment as far as I know, it will be very interesting to see.

Why are there so few maps of who controls what territory? During the Libyan Civil War there was almost a map updated every day showing very clear lines as to who held what.

• Bremenacht 19 Aug 2012 23:00:02 17,777 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, I think the rebels 'control' most of the country and borders to the east, which doesn't mean much as there's not a lot there. It was the same on Libya - no-one 'controls' areas with no resources or roads or strategic value. So any diagram you may have seen would be a bit misleading. Anyway. A map:

• Bremenacht 19 Aug 2012 23:10:34 17,777 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Notice the Kurdish bits? That's trouble stored up for later.
  • RedSparrows 12 Sep 2012 16:21:01 22,256 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So, let me get this straight:

Idiot funders back idiot film-maker to make a stupid film about Mohammed.

This film, made in the US with apparently pro-Israeli/Jewish diaspora cash, is picked up by idiot firebrand media types in Egypt.

Idiot firebrands shriek blue murder.

Then some idiot fools who's faith is so insecure as to be meaningless go and kill people who had the misfortune to be official representatives of the original idiots who made the film - some price for freedom of speech, ey.
  • senso-ji 12 Sep 2012 16:39:05 5,848 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Libya hasn't been a stable country since the death of Gaddafi and the elections. Armed militias still roam the streets and claim territories as their own like drug gangs. I'm surprised the US have an embassy and staff there.
  • RedSparrows 13 Sep 2012 22:07:16 22,256 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    http://m.guardian.co.uk/ms/p/gnm/op/sXpm2WtugWO35iLRAfqL-dQ/view.m?id=15&gid=commentisfree/2012/sep/13/egypt-libya-hollywood-film&cat=commentisfree

Bunch of fucking dicks.

ITV news have barely mentioned this. By barely I mean not at all.
  • MrDigital 14 Sep 2012 20:39:39 1,866 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The situation in the Middle East is a complete and utter fucking joke at the moment. I get this isn't representative of Muslims as a whole, but the fact that enough exist to cause a genuine problem to embassies and to have large protests is ridiculous.

I find it hard to put myself in their position because any decisions I think they might make to lead them here bypass any sort of common sense or logic whatsoever.

-- So there is this clip made by a group that deeply offends my beliefs
    -- But maybe I should forget about it because it means nothing...NO GET ANGRY!
    -- I'm angry but it won't really help if I do anything...NO ATTACK SOMETHING!
    -- What do I attack? Can't attack the people, so maybe forget it...NO ATTACK
    EMBASSIES OF PEOPLE ENTIRELY UNRELATED TO THE PRODUCTION!

• Futaba 14 Sep 2012 21:33:44 3,500 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The human race really makes me despair.

Edited by Futaba at 21:34:58 14-09-2012

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• Khanivor 14 Sep 2012 21:54:11 40,520 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Of course, reports from Benghazi indicate that attack wasn't a mob but a terrorist attack using the paedo mohammed outrage as a cover. There are some pics of Libyans expressing their disgust and anger - with the attackers.
  • senso-ji 14 Sep 2012 22:23:35 5,848 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Plenty of reports are suggesting that many locals were standing up to the attackers because they disagreed with the Islamists.

The issue here is that these countries are still so fragile after their 'Arab Springs' that anyone can band together a bunch of thugs, buy some cheap AKs and pick on any target they want. There are no counter terrorist units, intelligence agencies, Police informants, et al to keep the order. This has the potential to spill over way beyond religious fanaticism.
  • Khanivor 14 Sep 2012 22:29:52 40,520 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Of course, the UK has all of that and a few dudes blew the fuck out the Tube a few years back.

I think it's going to be interesting when it's discovered who really made this film that's causing all the shit.
  • Inertia 14 Sep 2012 22:42:46 677 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/09/pcp/

This is the guy who made the video apparently.
  • Bremenacht 11 Nov 2012 22:56:24 17,777 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Israel fires warning shots 'after Syria mortar strike'

Islamists trying to kill Jews or disaffected Syrian army units taking the chance to kill Jews or Assad attempting to unite Syrians through the medium of.. killing Jews

?

I wonder if this will turn into something more heated and prolonged.

Incidentally, some funny business going on with Syria's big neighbour. It's a big old border! A lot of weapons could slip over that border, if someone wanted them to!
  • Khanivor 12 Nov 2012 00:06:18 40,520 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wondering out loud here; I wonder if part of the Western nation's hesitance to doing anything in Syria is an extension of Bush's Iraq policy. As in let all the religious whackjobs try to kill Americans but not in America. This time with the added benefit of it not being Americans or Westerners at all, just Arabs.
  • NBZ 12 Nov 2012 00:16:53 2,371 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Golan Heights is a part of Syria that is occupied by Israel over which the two countries are still technically at war.

Besides, mortars have also have egularly fired into the non-jewish Turkey. (Turkey has also fired retaliatory shots at Syria)

Edited by NBZ at 00:57:58 12-11-2012
  • SClaw 14 Nov 2012 16:21:40 826 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This is sort of the right thread for this...

Israel strikes Gaza

The fuck Israel? The fuck are you doing now?
  • jellyhead 14 Nov 2012 16:29:52 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Trying to stop the UN from voting to give Palestine observer member status at the end of the month.

Israel ministry paper proposes 'toppling' Abbas over UN bid - BBC

Edited by jellyhead at 16:33:04 14-11-2012

This signature intentionally left blank.

• kalel 14 Nov 2012 16:31:51 86,894 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Usual shizzle. Hamas have been firing rockets at Isreal all week. Israel have responded in typical massively disproportionate style, as they do. Now they'll be a war. Bad times :(
  • jellyhead 14 Nov 2012 17:42:26 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I hope not :(

• senso-ji 14 Nov 2012 18:23:30 5,848 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Netanyahu seeking to get re-elected, I see.
  • SClaw 14 Nov 2012 23:04:24 826 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Maybe they'll explain it all with another bomb meme. That went over well last time.

Honestly... they are like bloody children. Bratty rich children. When are they going to grow up and learn to play nicely with their disadvantaged neighbours?
  • jellyhead 14 Nov 2012 23:14:42 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's mind-boggling and i only feel for the civilians on both sides caught inbetween it all. Both sides seem to have been dicks to each other for so long and there's such animosity it's difficult to see where a peaceful compromise can be found.

Not good.

• Moot_Point 14 Nov 2012 23:17:20 3,973 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @SClaw Ideology will always be fought over.

"My thoughts are better than yours. So ner!" /atomic bomb

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Bremenacht 14 Nov 2012 23:56:58 17,777 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    Netanyahu seeking to get re-elected, I see.
    Maybe, but it could just as well be that someone on the Arab/Islamist side is using Syria's civil war as good cover in which to escalate attacks on everyone's favourite middle-east enemy - the Israelis. Surprise surprise, Israel responds as it usually does: hard.
  • Page

of 84 First / Last