of 84 First / Last

• Tom_Servo 1 Feb 2011 12:11:49 17,990 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    al-Jazeera is worth watching right now
  • spamdangled 1 Feb 2011 18:52:25 27,376 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    BBC have just received reports that Mubarak is going to make a speech confirming he will stand down at the election in September.

Looks like the protestors won.

Hurrah!

/starts looking at Jordan

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• DaM 1 Feb 2011 18:55:50 13,272 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bet that will go down well! On a plane to Saudi Arabia with suitcases stuffed full of gold by the end of the week.
  • Khanivor 1 Feb 2011 19:14:25 40,859 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Things looking shakey in Jordan but I reckon the King will be able to hold it together.

I hope Libya goes next and Gaddafi joins the rest in Saudi.
  • grey_matters 1 Feb 2011 19:17:25 3,774 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    September?! Will that be accepted?
  • spamdangled 1 Feb 2011 19:17:51 27,376 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Or Iran. A lot of countries would breathe a big sigh of relief if Iran's regime fell down.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• spamdangled 1 Feb 2011 19:19:03 27,376 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    grey_matters wrote:
    September?! Will that be accepted?

Not sure. It probably is actually the best thing, as it doesn't create a power vacuum.

• mcmonkeyplc 1 Feb 2011 19:21:01 39,464 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Saudi please!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Deleted user 1 February 2011 19:21:46
    interim govt can get set up in the intervening months, parties can form, etc. and then free elections in sept. whether the protesters are willing to wait that long is another question

and he can obv still mess w/things like the election til then, as he has been known to
  • Deleted user 1 February 2011 19:23:22
    odd we've not heard anything from al-zawahiri/"bin laden" during all of this
  • Khanivor 1 Feb 2011 19:24:02 40,859 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Saudi please!

Probably wouldn't hurt to buy some oil futures.
  • spamdangled 1 Feb 2011 19:24:31 27,376 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    cozeny wrote:
    odd we've not heard anything from al-zawahiri/"bin laden" during all of this

Oh I'm sure something will happen eventually, no doubt citing "corrupt western influence" etc.

• Khanivor 1 Feb 2011 19:25:31 40,859 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Curse those evil westerners with their corrupting ideas of self-determination!
  • spamdangled 2 Feb 2011 01:40:13 27,376 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Confirmed - he's going.

When you think about it, it's pretty amazing that one person setting themselves on fire can lead to the downfall of 2 regimes in the space of a couple of weeks, with disturbance brewing in other nations.

• Syrok Designer, Tarsier Studios 2 Feb 2011 13:08:25 14,033 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Clashes between supporters of Mubarak and protesters right now. :/

Edit: Or rather plain cloth police men and anti-gov. :(
  • senso-ji 2 Feb 2011 13:48:01 5,923 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Curse those evil westerners with their corrupting ideas of self-determination!

Yeah, they're really spreading that message well to Saudi Arabia :/
  • kalel 2 Feb 2011 14:38:57 87,933 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's really kicking off now.
  • MetalDog 2 Feb 2011 14:44:28 23,697 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Given the police over there had the power to do anyfuckingthing, it's not much of a surprise they'll put up resistance to change.

Good luck to the anti-government protesters - they seemed capable of keeping it peaceful up until now. If they can win this one, the people of Iran might even be encouraged enough to manage a repeat performance and that would be good for just about everybody except the leaders of Iran.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• senso-ji 2 Feb 2011 14:57:45 5,923 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The protesters run the risk of damaging all the hard work they've done by continuing with a confrontation. Lots of people in Cairo are now worried about the deteriorating state of day to day life (food, medicine, petrol not being delivered, public services being stretched, etc) caused by continuing demos. Maybe it's best they sat on their anger for seven months and elected a completely different government than continue fighting in the streets.
  • oceanmotion 2 Feb 2011 14:58:03 15,976 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is it so wise to give him the boot now, rather than letting it run to September ?

On one hand, it would make the transition smoother and give opposing parties the time to set out their stalls and not let the country have someone unjustified get the leadership but on the other hand does he really need to be there for 8 more months doing whatever the hell he pleases, probably bad things. Violence seems like the outcome now which is unfortunate.

I also found some comments of people on the ground saying the opposing leader is a puppet of the US, seems like the guy in charge is kinda the same but as long as keeps things somewhat stable, he can do as he pleases which the US don't care about.
  • MetalDog 2 Feb 2011 15:08:00 23,697 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's going to come down to trust, isn't it? How often do our lot say they'll do something in a few months time and then do just the opposite? Quite often! This guy has been having people carted off and tortured left and right, so... would you trust him not to have you and yours 'quelled' in those eight months?

• senso-ji 2 Feb 2011 15:13:30 5,923 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mubarak has seen the levels of protest and violence caused by his 30 year rule; I'm not sure he'll risk it all again ten fold in September. Plus he'd have been advised by the US, Israel and other allies to step down to avoid destabilizing the country further.

It's a very delicate situation, and go either way. I support the protesters but they're not making the situation better the longer they stay out on the streets.
  • oceanmotion 2 Feb 2011 15:17:12 15,976 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I wonder if there was a few money hats from the US and others to leave quietly.
  • Khanivor 2 Feb 2011 15:31:49 40,859 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The clashes are bringing to light something that has been totally ignored up until this point - Mubarak is not universally reviled. People have been caught up in the hope of the protests and neglected the fact that plenty of Egyptians like their president as he is. It's easy for us in the west to judge another country using our own criteria.

We are too quick to apply our own standards when it suits our preferred narrative and just as quick to shun them when it doesn't.
  • Deleted user 2 February 2011 15:38:39
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    Allegedly plenty of his "supporters" fighting today were paid a tenner and half a chicken...

Something, something Gazza strip joke.
  • MetalDog 2 Feb 2011 15:45:10 23,697 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Have people been ignoring it? I don't think they have - you might have assumed they were?

Things like this always have the potential to make things even worse. I hope they work it out well and don't get too screwed over by the west or their neighbours in the process. Living in a state where you can get tortured for openly disagreeing with the people in power isn't great for them though, whether they succeed or not. I don't think that's an ideal particular to the west.

• Khanivor 2 Feb 2011 15:53:41 40,859 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well I up until now I haven't heard one dissenting squeak from anyone; it's been wall-to-wall 'Mubarak must go, the people have spoken'. Similar I've not really heard anyone asking why the west should be anointing el Baradei as the next leader; do we forget Chalabli and Karazi that fuckign quickly?

Egypt essentially has no political system so an immediate transfer of power was always going to be fraught with more danger than waiting a wee while. Chuck all the people whose power and livelihood come from Mubarak into the mix along with millions of regular people and the notion that Mubarak was going to hop on a plane and Egypt would be rainbows and unicorns was delusional fantasy.

Iraq was Saddam's for less than Egypt has been Mubarak's and old Baathists are still causing shit over there. Egypt is too damn large to just chuck away the old and bring in the new. Not unless we want to see it descend into a fucking mess.
  • kalel 2 Feb 2011 15:54:56 87,933 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Most long-term incumbent leaders do tend to bring with them a certain amount of stability in many ways, and conversely democracy and stability donít often go hand in hand.

That doesnít make dictatorships the fairest form of government for the people however.
  • Page

of 84 First / Last