Revolution in the middle east Page 48

• Page

of 84 First / Last

• Madder-Max 20 Oct 2011 16:12:13 11,567 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I reckon gadaffi is Osama with plastic surgery but he went insane as the surgery was irreversible and the real Gadaffi has run away with Blair and occassionally meets up with Liam Fox and his 'special' friend

99 problems and being ginger is one

• nickthegun 20 Oct 2011 16:14:01 55,853 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    I can't shake the feeling that all our interference in this is going to bite us in the arse further down the line.

I was saying the same thing to my boss. I cant think of a single instance where regime change worked.

Even my boss, who is a devout muslim and up on middle eastern politics said 'some of these countries are genuinely better off ruled with an iron fist'.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• AaronTurner 20 Oct 2011 16:15:23 7,521 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Call yourself a gamer? You should be totally desensitised to it by now.

Someone somewhere told me that when I was shooting the baddies no one actually died!
  • MetalDog 20 Oct 2011 16:15:50 23,706 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think it should always be sad when someone dies violently, no matter how much a bed of their own making it was. That's a life failed. When people are throwing a party because you're dead, you've really fucked up. That should always be sad.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• ResidentKnievel 20 Oct 2011 16:16:23 5,877 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Isn't Tunisia doing okay, now?

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Tom_Servo 20 Oct 2011 16:17:21 15,534 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    A lot of the Arab Spring has a touch of "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss" about it. For example, Egypt doesn't receive a great deal of media coverage now, but things aren't much better there as far as I'm aware. The military have taken over and don't seem to be doing anything to transition to a democratic state as they promised. There are still protests there, with people being injured and killed.
  • kalel 20 Oct 2011 16:21:15 83,875 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    MetalDog wrote:
    I can't shake the feeling that all our interference in this is going to bite us in the arse further down the line.

I was saying the same thing to my boss. I cant think of a single instance where regime change worked.

Even my boss, who is a devout muslim and up on middle eastern politics said 'some of these countries are genuinely better off ruled with an iron fist'.

Not a perfect example as it obviously eventually failed, but our meddling in Iran was pretty successful for a good while.
  • Load_2.0 20 Oct 2011 16:23:24 18,196 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Power vacuums ALWAYS result in a fair and democratic leader being elected.

An air drop of iPads, Nike's and sex in the city 1-6 DVD's will keep the bombings to a minimum.

FREEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! Now where is my 20 Mb broadband?
  • Tom_Servo 20 Oct 2011 16:25:17 15,534 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Man on BBC: "People in Libya won't know life without Gaddafi. There are some people younger than 42"

Outstanding.
  • AcidSnake 20 Oct 2011 16:25:45 7,145 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    MetalDog wrote:

Not a perfect example as it obviously eventually failed, but our meddling in Iran was pretty successful for a good while.
    Does WWII count?
    Or only states that haven't declared war on anyone and there's foreign interference anyway?

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• bzzct 20 Oct 2011 16:37:42 1,724 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Surely you don't need a picture of a bloodied, dead body on the front page as evidence of his death though? By all means make it available to those that want to see it, but constantly showing it to everyone? Maybe I'm weak but I'm still shocked by seeing a dead body and it still makes me feel uneasy and sad no matter who it is.
    You're approaching the question back-to-front. The picture(s)/video(s) is news - you publish by default, unless there's a reason not to. Something that's going to make people vom on sight would be a reason not to, but a picture of a dead body with some blood on the face is clearly fine to most people.

P.S. And making making people feel "sad" is obviously not a reason not to put something on a front page, or bugger all would get reported on...
  • nickthegun 20 Oct 2011 16:40:17 55,853 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Actually, the news follows fairly strict guidelines and that is fairly close to the line of acceptability, if not completely over it.

He totally called it

• figgis 20 Oct 2011 16:40:37 7,382 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:

Cambodia, Japan, Germany and the fall of the Soviet Union to name but a few. Regime change is always fraught with danger but there are success stories.
  • kalel 20 Oct 2011 16:43:12 83,875 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    bzzct wrote:
    ...but a picture of a dead body with some blood on the face is clearly fine to most people.

I'm not so sure it is fine to most people. Just on a very basic anecdotal level, it's certainly not considered fine by most of my office right now.
  • bzzct 20 Oct 2011 16:43:45 1,724 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Actually, the news follows fairly strict guidelines and that is fairly close to the line of acceptability, if not completely over it.
    There's such single entity as "the news", let alone a single set of guidelines. Outlets will have their own internal discussions about it. Some, e.g. the BBC, have clearly decided a pic of Gaddafi dead is fine on a story about Gaddafi dying.
  • kalel 20 Oct 2011 16:46:41 83,875 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    bzzct wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    There's such single entity as "the news", let alone a single set of guidelines. Outlets will have their own internal discussions about it. Some, e.g. the BBC, have clearly decided a pic of Gaddafi dead is fine on a story about Gaddafi dying.

There is standadised ethical code of practice for the press.
  • Tom_Servo 20 Oct 2011 16:46:48 15,534 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    There really wasn't very much warning before they were shown either. I doubt there was even a second between the warning and the images being shown.
  • RedSparrows 20 Oct 2011 16:46:50 20,756 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    I think it should always be sad when someone dies violently, no matter how much a bed of their own making it was. That's a life failed. When people are throwing a party because you're dead, you've really fucked up. That should always be sad.

Yup.

What's worse is when said people die, and people mourn you. That's when you've not just fucked up your life, but everyone else's life.
  • Tom_Servo 20 Oct 2011 16:47:48 15,534 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Oh there we go, not even a warning that time on the BBC.
  • TheSaint 20 Oct 2011 16:50:21 13,629 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is everyone talking about this image?

Obviously they should warn people but it doesn't show any blood or wounds.
  • senso-ji 20 Oct 2011 16:50:24 5,314 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Dunno why news outlets feel the need to show brutal and grim videos or photographs of a dead body. He's dead, I can get that just from the news outlet telling me, I don't need to see a bloodied body to confirm it. It's not like a report where they have to show horrors so that people understand what is happening.

I'm also against it, but not just for decency; we wouldn't like it if British soldiers were killed by the Taliban and then they published the pictures of the mutilated bodies across Afghanistan as a form of triumphant entertainment. If the Libyans want to see Gaddafi dead, then fine, it's their prerogative, but we shouldn't break our broadcasting standards.
  • Deckard1 20 Oct 2011 16:51:56 25,414 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is it the picture they've got on the website now? It’s not particularly graphic to be fair. It just looks like he's fell asleep on a sun lounger and forgot to put his P20 on.

Called it

• Tom_Servo 20 Oct 2011 16:52:11 15,534 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Is everyone talking about this image?

Obviously they should warn people but it doesn't show any blood or wounds.

There's another one that's more explicit.

edit: Top left here
  • bzzct 20 Oct 2011 16:53:29 1,724 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Whether or not pics of Gaddafi's body are on the front pages of the websites of major news outlets are based on internal decisions from those websites. I promise. I was in one such a discussion an hour ago.
  • kalel 20 Oct 2011 16:55:09 83,875 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    bzzct wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Whether or not pics of Gaddafi's body are on the front pages of the websites of major news outlets are based on internal decisions from those websites. I promise. I was in one such a discussion an hour ago.

Agreed. But to say “There's such single entity as "the news", let alone a single set of guidelines” is inaccurate.
  • WoodenSpoon 20 Oct 2011 16:56:00 12,251 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't really see why people care anyway. People are dying all the time, everyone goes about their business knowing that; why does it become an issue if a news website carries a picture of it?
  • nickthegun 20 Oct 2011 16:56:24 55,853 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    When I said 'the news' I was talking about broadcast television. Should have been clearer, soz.

He totally called it

• Deleted user 20 October 2011 16:57:18
    I don't like clicking on to a news homepage maybe to check the weather or sports and having some gory fucking pic rammed down my throat without any warning or choice.
  • Tom_Servo 20 Oct 2011 16:58:19 15,534 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    WoodenSpoon wrote:
    I don't really see why people care anyway. People are dying all the time, everyone goes about their business knowing that; why does it become an issue if a news website carries a picture of it?

Wait...

what
  • Blaketown 20 Oct 2011 16:58:31 4,630 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    WoodenSpoon wrote:

Same reason they would care if they showed a picture of a cock in a mouth.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Page

of 84 First / Last