So, the next generation of handhelds are here............

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Ultrasoundwave 27 Jan 2011 12:01:58 3,400 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    .........when are the consoles arriving???.

I realise this question has been done thousands of times, but i cant help feeling that the next generation of consoles can be that far away now.

As i understand it, the 3DS is more powerful than the Wii (please correct me if im wrong) and the NGP (Next Generation Portable........is that a clue???) is as powerful as the PS3.

I think its fair to say that Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo have got all they can out of their current consoles (Nintendo and Microsoft especially, Sony will no doubt push the boundaries again with KZ3 and Uncharted 3) and i cant see how they can push the hardware any further. Now that Kinect and Move have launched, even though their impressive, i cant see them extending the life of this generation to be honest.

I have got a very sneaky feeling that we will get an announcement on at least one new console at E3 this year. Wii 2 (with 3DS style 3D?), Xbox 720 with built-in Kinect-style control system?, the PS4 with full 3D support? , or will Apple announce a new console????

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Stickman 27 Jan 2011 12:03:46 29,664 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've got a modded Atari Lynx that makes the Hadron look like a netbook.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Lexx87 27 Jan 2011 12:04:30 20,863 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Everything hints at there not being next gen consoles soon. Publishers don't want them, developers don't want them, and I think many gamers don't want them.

Too much to play already to be thinking about new consoles.

Speak the truth hussy!

• MrTomFTW Moderator 27 Jan 2011 12:05:37 39,404 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think the Lynx probably eats through batteries faster than the LHC

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Deleted user 27 January 2011 12:06:44
    necrobump this in 5 years time.
  • mcmonkeyplc 27 Jan 2011 12:07:20 39,521 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not for another 4 years.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Deleted user 27 January 2011 12:07:42
    Fuck consoles, I think I'll just stick with the handhelds at least they're different from each other.
  • Deleted user 27 January 2011 12:09:33
    You tend to get a lot of hints before announcements. There has been the odd whiff of some sort of new HD Wii type thing, so Wii2 is a possiblity, but I think Move and Kinect can basically be seen as PS3 and 360 mkII, and I wouldn't expect new consoles from Sony or MS for quite some time.
  • PenguinJim 27 Jan 2011 12:10:18 5,961 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    I think its fair to say that Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo have got all they can out of their current consoles (Nintendo and Microsoft especially, Sony will no doubt push the boundaries again with KZ3 and Uncharted 3) and i cant see how they can push the hardware any further.
    I don't think some EGers realise how lucky they are that a world-class games developer and 3D expert like you takes the time to post here.
  • Dirtbox 27 Jan 2011 12:13:13 78,875 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Don't they normally stagger the releases of handhelds and consoles so one's released about half way through the life of the other?

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Deleted user 27 January 2011 12:18:33
    Don't need no new consoles, don't want no new consoles.
  • speedofthepuma 27 Jan 2011 12:20:51 13,310 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    I think its fair to say that Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo have got all they can out of their current consoles (Nintendo and Microsoft especially, Sony will no doubt push the boundaries again with KZ3 and Uncharted 3) and i cant see how they can push the hardware any further.
    I don't think some EGers realise how lucky they are that a world-class games developer and 3D expert like you takes the time to post here.

:D

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• BartonFink 27 Jan 2011 12:28:09 35,126 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cannot see us getting new consoles for another 3-5 years. We don't need em gamers are perfectly happy with 360 and PS3. As for 'got all they can out of their current consoles' ... Nah!
  • Deleted user 27 January 2011 12:30:43
    Frontpage needs more PSP threads.
  • DUFFMAN5 27 Jan 2011 12:32:57 15,231 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Re new home consoles, we do not need any for a few years at least...as long as we don't jet get Move/Kinnect shite, which I do not think is going to happen.

Re handhelds I didn't want one, I can't afford or justify one, but fook I do now, both in fact.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Ziz0u 27 Jan 2011 12:33:35 8,604 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    2013 would suit me. Would just have a tough time deciding which one to get first.
  • chiefian 27 Jan 2011 12:36:46 475 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Development studios just can't afford them at the moment. We really don't need them yet anyway.
  • Psychotext 27 Jan 2011 12:55:03 54,822 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sadly at this point I wouldn't be surprised if it's 2013 before we see one... by which point I imagine I'll be playing everything other than exclusives on the PC again.
  • Deleted user 27 January 2011 12:56:53
    Pretty much everything about the games and retail industry needs fixing before another gen starts so for me the further away new hardware is the better.
  • roz123 27 Jan 2011 12:57:02 7,113 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What's the average time between generations?
  • Deleted user 27 January 2011 12:58:45
    5-7 years
  • DUFFMAN5 27 Jan 2011 12:59:10 15,231 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Vertical Stand wrote:
    Pretty much everything about the games and retail industry needs fixing before another gen starts so for me the further away new hardware is the better.

VS don't leave us hanging man ?

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• cianchristopher 27 Jan 2011 12:59:24 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    5 years. Sometimes 6.

We're 5 years into the life of the XBox 360, 4 years into the life of the PS3/Wii

Given that it'll be a longer-than-usual generation, I'd say 2013/2014 for the next round of hardware.

I don't care much either way, as I'll still have a massive backlog by then, and as such, won't be buying anything.
  • Deleted user 27 January 2011 13:00:33
    It'll just be the same shit again though, 'cept consoles will be able to do 1080p properly and have AA applied, meh.
  • Deleted user 27 January 2011 13:02:27
    @OP

I've said a similar thing on the front page. All this money being spent developing new mega powerful handheld consoles yet it's apparently not financially viable to do another home console iteration. Madness as I see it.

Make the new consoles totally backwards compatible, not emulation, and you smooth out the transition. Everyone's already convinced that we'll be transferring our profiles and arcade games over anyway so I don't really get why they're all dragging their heals.

The recession was used as an excuse but it's turned out to be bollocks with Sony obviously spending so much money developing their new wonder handheld, and at a market they've found tough and getting tougher all the time.

We live in an age where new shiny technology sells, Apple is proof of this with their year in year out replacement models.

I'm a bit more bothered than I maybe should be as I've never been a handheld gamer and my xbox 360 is starting to show it's age.

Graphics are good and all, but the improved tech will hopefully mean that Bethesda can put windows on their buildings.

My two pence.
  • Ultrasoundwave 27 Jan 2011 13:08:10 3,400 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    AdamAsunder wrote:
    @ OP

I've said a similar thing on the front page. All this money being spent developing new mega powerful handheld consoles yet it's apparently not financially viable to do another home console iteration. Madness as I see it.

Make the new consoles totally backwards compatible, not emulation, and you smooth out the transition. Everyone's already convinced that we'll be transferring our profiles and arcade games over anyway so I don't really get why they're all dragging their heals.

The recession was used as an excuse but it's turned out to be bollocks with Sony obviously spending so much money developing their new wonder handheld, and at a market they've found tough and getting tougher all the time.

We live in an age where new shiny technology sells, Apple is proof of this with their year in year out replacement models.

I'm a bit more bothered than I maybe should be as I've never been a handheld gamer and my xbox 360 is starting to show it's age.

Graphics are good and all, but the improved tech will hopefully mean that Bethesda can put windows on their buildings.

My two pence.

Agree with you there, apart from the recession part as im pretty sure i read somewhere that the game industry made a huge profit from the recession due to the increase in unemployment!.
    Like you said about Apple though, they keep bringing out new hardware and their posting profits of 6 billion. I'd love to see a new Sony / Microsoft / Nintendo console sooner rather than later.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous