Braid to reform for new album

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • thelzdking 25 Jan 2011 12:05:58 4,369 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Not sure if there are many fans on here but I know one or two posters will be interested to know that everyone's favourite purveyors of mathy indie rock are recording a new album. If you don't know who they are then you should go and listen to them, especially if you're a fan of complex, jazzy indie and lyrical wordplay.

http://www.avclub.com/chicago/articles/never-will-come-for-us-braid-to-reunite-for-new-re,50514/

Hopefully they'll find time to come and play over here.
  • BillMurray 27 Jan 2011 17:38:54 7,788 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I really hope this isn't terrible.

Think I always preferred Hey Mercedes though.
  • thelzdking 27 Jan 2011 18:19:32 4,369 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Personally I can't choose between the two.

I'm worried that it'll be shit and/or pointless as well, but if they find time to play the UK I'll be happy enough.
  • AccidentProne 27 Jan 2011 19:15:17 1,168 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Never got to see them first time around, so it'd be great if this means they'll be playing over here at some point.

Mineral to reform next please.
  • thelzdking 27 Jan 2011 19:40:01 4,369 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    Mineral to reform next please.
    Chance would be a fine thing.
  • richardiox 27 Jan 2011 20:18:48 5,637 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone into American Football? great band of that style / era on Polyvinyl Records. Their LP is on Spotify or check Youtube for the vid to "honestly"

Also a uk band from Stoke called Spy versus Spy from around 2000ish. Can't remember what label put them out but they're on Spotify too. More uptemp ala Braid.
  • BillMurray 27 Jan 2011 20:45:54 7,788 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I missed out on seeing Spy versus Spy at the last Out of Spite gig in Leeds a few years back. Definitely regret that. American Football are brilliant too.

Edit* Glad Spy Versus Spy was mentioned in this thread. Just fired it up for the first time in ages and I forgot how good it was. Does make me wish there were still bands around like this though. In my town it's just been hardcore or metal gigs week in week out for the past 4 years. Should really make more of an effort to get out of town for gigs really!
  • richardiox 27 Jan 2011 21:23:54 5,637 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gone are the days of union station still

Fucking awesome. They (spy v spy) did two eps I think

Same era band from Belgium called Reizeger on Goodlife Records also worth checking out

• AccidentProne 28 Jan 2011 10:34:55 1,168 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    Anyone into American Football? great band of that style / era on Polyvinyl Records. Their LP is on Spotify or check Youtube for the vid to "honestly"

Awesome band, one of my favourites from that era. Never Meant just popped up on my lastfm mix station :)
  • thelzdking 28 Jan 2011 12:28:39 4,369 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    All good bands being mentioned here; I haven't listened to Reiziger in years. They released a split with another great band called Bob Tilton.

I too missed the chance to see Spy vs Spy when they reformed. The released a double CD discography on Gravity DIP records a few years back. Anyone who likes them should listen to a band called Andy, Glenn and Ritch who were great. They only released one EP I think, it was called Escape from The Bastille.

And anyone who likes American Football should listen to The One Up Downstairs EP which is the precursor to American Football.

Where do you live BillMurray? I don't even get hardcore or metal gigs where I live.
  • BillMurray 28 Jan 2011 13:59:23 7,788 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I know Andy, Glenn & Ritch as I live in Grimsby :). They were brilliant. That was kind of the hay day in Grimsby around the time they were playing.

Edit* .. and for the record i'm a fan of hardcore but the macho bullshit bores the fuck out of me! Either that or i'm getting old because all the bands that play every weekend all sound the same :\
  • thelzdking 28 Jan 2011 14:15:05 4,369 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Heh, originally I'm from Cleethorpes, but now I live in Lincoln which is a shithole and a musical wasteland. Do you remember The Next Autumn Soundtrack? They were from Grimsby weren't they? They were a great band.
  • richardiox 28 Jan 2011 17:40:25 5,637 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Andy Glen and Rich were previously in a band called The Green Acre, my mate released their CD on his label. Great band I still have the recordings if anyone wants

Also from GY a band called Stand, a record label I helped out with in Peterborough called Positive Outlook put out the Stand CD and later they released an amazing split cd with HHH, also from ptown. I was actually van driver for the Stand/hhh uk tour in about 2003.

Best band outta grimsby is Imbalance though, still got their demo tape and saw them reform to play Bens (stands guitarist) memorial gig 5 years ago. HHH and Stand both reformed to play it too.

Love this thread!
  • AccidentProne 28 Jan 2011 17:55:23 1,168 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Imbalance were a great band too, a mate put them on in Cambridge a while back. Wondered what happened to them.

Anyone remember a band called Carver? Don't know a great deal about them (possibly used to be Schema?), but picked up a demo and split with Sunfactor after seeing them a long long time ago. Decent band I thought and was surprised they didn't get more recognition at the time.
  • BillMurray 28 Jan 2011 22:44:23 7,788 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    Andy Glen and Rich were previously in a band called The Green Acre, my mate released their CD on his label. Great band I still have the recordings if anyone wants

Also from GY a band called Stand, a record label I helped out with in Peterborough called Positive Outlook put out the Stand CD and later they released an amazing split cd with HHH, also from ptown. I was actually van driver for the Stand/hhh uk tour in about 2003.

Best band outta grimsby is Imbalance though, still got their demo tape and saw them reform to play Bens (stands guitarist) memorial gig 5 years ago. HHH and Stand both reformed to play it too.

Love this thread!

That Stand split with HHH was amazing. Ben's memoral gig was one of the best shows i've ever been to. I see Luke every now and again when too. Most righteous dude. Was Mend This Tear from Peterborough too?

thelzdking wrote:
    Heh, originally I'm from Cleethorpes, but now I live in Lincoln which is a shithole and a musical wasteland. Do you remember The Next Autumn Soundtrack? They were from Grimsby weren't they? They were a great band.

Haha, it's a small world. TNAS were a great band. The Jeniferever split was reet good. I lived with Pearcy for a bit who drummed for them at one point.

Ahh, memories!
  • richardiox 31 Jan 2011 10:23:53 5,637 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • richardiox 31 Jan 2011 10:43:33 5,637 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    Yeah, Mend This Tear were a (great) Peterborough band too. Used to live with the drummers from HHH and Mend This Tear. Still good mates with all the old 'scene' guys but to be honest my record collection for hardcore/emo/punk stopped growing circa 2003. I'm now an 'urban music sellout' with nostaligia for 1996-2003 punk metal n hardcore!

Spy Vs Spy - Union Station Still
    Imbalance - Best Intentions ...Steve lived in Culver City LA, he was a member of the police cadets, he wants to join the police force....
    HHH - Higher Moral Purpose live at Matrix club Grimsby at Ben Lane's memorial show. Awful recording but a great show - the whole HHH set is on Youtube.

• BillMurray 25 Feb 2011 11:44:53 7,788 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bump!

Out of Spite fest is returning in July, along with Imbalance reforming for it!
  • AccidentProne 25 Feb 2011 12:07:45 1,168 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Haven't been to Out of Spite since living in Leeds like ten years ago. Reckon I'll make the effort to travel up this time though, the line up looks decent:

Out of Spite is a long running punk rock / DIY festival weekend in Leeds. Out of Spite No.1 happened back in 1998 and ran for ten straight years until a hiatus. After a short rest and overwhelming public outcry, WE ARE BACK!

Friday 15 July
    That Fucking Tank
    The Horror
    The Plight
    J*R
    Glass Avalanche

Saturday 16 July
    Imbalance
    Milloy
    Bangers
    The Computers
    Protectors