The UK General Politics Thread Page 4

• Page

of 190 First / Last

• RichieTenenbaum 18 Apr 2011 11:42:38 2,181 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The economy definitely needs a jolt, but Cameron is risking giving it a fatal electric shock.

The state definitely needs a diet, but Cameron is risking giving it bulimia, vomiting it's own economy up!

The country definitely needs a wake up call, but Cameron is risking giving it a heart attack.
  • spamdangled 18 Apr 2011 11:44:02 27,271 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    What I meant was, as you are obviously having problems, is that while the state needs to be reduced, doing it too fast and going too far will lead to the country being worse off, not better, and then requiring more help to repair the damage.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• richarddavies 18 Apr 2011 11:44:35 2,581 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    The economy definitely needs a jolt, but Cameron is risking giving it a fatal electric shock.

The state definitely needs a diet, but Cameron is risking giving it bulimia, vomiting it's own economy up!

The country definitely needs a wake up call, but Cameron is risking giving it a heart attack.

Are you MAD? If the country has a heart attack we might need a bypass. Maybe even a multiple one. And we all know what that means for the country if we have a multiple heart bypass.
  • spamdangled 18 Apr 2011 11:45:08 27,271 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    richarddavies wrote:
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:

Are you MAD? If the country has a heart attack we might need a bypass. Maybe even a multiple one. And we all know what that means for the country if we have a multiple heart bypass.

More roundabouts?

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• richarddavies 18 Apr 2011 11:47:32 2,581 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Exactly DM, exactly and i'll be damned if im gonna let that Cameron bastard let us all get more heart attack roundabouts.
  • Youthist 18 Apr 2011 11:48:48 10,010 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    He will make them posh ones as well, we all know it

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• LockeTribal 18 Apr 2011 11:49:57 4,498 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RANDOM NONSENSICAL METAPHORS!
  • RichieTenenbaum 18 Apr 2011 11:52:16 2,181 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    What I meant was, as you are obviously having problems, is that while the state needs to be reduced, doing it too fast and going too far will lead to the country being worse off, not better, and then requiring more help to repair the damage.

I fundamentally disagree though.

For instance my dad's entire department is being closed down. However, all the members of the department have guaranteed relocation written into their contracts, there will be almost no saving in labour. Not just that but his department does supplies (like printing and the like). He does a lot of this. Outsourcing this department will cost the place he works for loads of money each year. However, it will be on the individual users' accounts, so won't be reported in the same way.

So by cutting his department, the government are using money to relocate all the people, and in actually closing the place and paying more for their supplied longer term. But it looks better on the balance sheet. Bullshit.
  • LionheartDJH 18 Apr 2011 11:55:19 19,359 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    LockeTribal wrote:

It's the best form of political debate! This is all I've been studying for three years to be honest, getting hard to come up with new ones to get the higher marks though!

She dives for cheese pasties

• LockeTribal 18 Apr 2011 12:01:36 4,498 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    LockeTribal wrote:

It's the best form of political debate! This is all I've been studying for three years to be honest, getting hard to come up with new ones to get the higher marks though!

The UK political system is like the freshly spilled entrails of a sacrificial goat: all the hot steamy goodness has spilled out, one party wants to try shoving them all back in to the goat so as to sacrifice it in future, another party wants to examine the entrails to see which way the future of the country lies and the other party is wondering what happened to the goat it just had and is quite thirsty and would like a glass of goat's milk.

Guaranteed Honours degree there my friend.
  • LionheartDJH 18 Apr 2011 12:11:15 19,359 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    LockeTribal wrote:
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    LockeTribal wrote:

The UK political system is like the freshly spilled entrails of a sacrificial goat: all the hot steamy goodness has spilled out, one party wants to try shoving them all back in to the goat so as to sacrifice it in future, another party wants to examine the entrails to see which way the future of the country lies and the other party is wondering what happened to the goat it just had and is quite thirsty and would like a glass of goat's milk.

That's awesome Locke, cheers! I'll owe that first class grade to you :)

• grey_matters 18 Apr 2011 12:15:44 3,676 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LockeTribal wrote:
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    LockeTribal wrote:

:D

Presumably the Irish system can be similarly described except with a bunch of people haggling over certain parts of the dead goat, another bunch trying to steal parts whilst replacing parts of other animals but all the while nobody notices the quiet shady fuckers in the corner who have already sold the goat (as well as all future grazing rights) 16 times over with other peoples money.
  • LockeTribal 18 Apr 2011 12:39:09 4,498 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I like it g_m :D

Unrelated but it reminds me of the "you have two cows" analogy about Enron:
    You have two cows.
    You sell three of them to your publicly listed company, using letters of credit opened by your brother-in-law at the bank, then execute a debt/ equity swap with an associated general offer so that you get all four cows back, with a tax exemption for five cows. The milk rights of the six cows are transferred via an intermediary to a Cayman Island company secretly owned by the majority shareholder who sells the rights to all seven cows back to your listed company. The annual report says the company owns eight cows, with an option on one more.
  • Carlo 18 Apr 2011 13:12:29 17,948 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So have we already covered the Finnish have been up to?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42633842/ns/world_news-europe/

PSN ID: Djini

• MightyMouse 1 May 2011 14:16:42 1,127 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No mention of the story that was cunningly dumped on the same day as the royal wedding?

http://goo.gl/4mz8l

"Compounded over the five years for which Monitor has published projections, the efficiency target for hospitals is 37 per cent."

And if they don't manage to make these "savings" then they won't be allowed to become trusts, ie they will no longer exist.
  • Deleted user 1 May 2011 14:44:24
    It would be nice if it was reported on a little more rationally though:

"Monitor's assessment of 6% to 7% is its 'downside case', meaning it is more pessimistic. But it is right that Monitor's assessments are challenging - we want all hospitals to be able to meet Monitor's standards and show that they can provide sustainable, high quality and efficient services for their patients."

So worst case forecasts - I can't find any headlines that imply anything other than 'MASSIVE CUTS' (obviously being cynical they will turn into actuals but still...

"It's like the unit cost of a hip operation, around 6,000, has got to decrease by 37%. How?"

No it isn't, Mr Appleby: chief economist at the health think tank the King's Fund.
  • Tom_Servo 1 May 2011 15:14:42 17,330 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Woops!
  • Deleted user 1 May 2011 15:25:26
    What a strangely written report. One line about that going straight into people being killed.
  • mal 1 May 2011 15:48:15 22,341 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Straight into? It's a summary report; one line about Syrian arms dealers and two about the situation in Syria. Are you telling me you don't see the connection?

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• coolbritannia 1 May 2011 23:17:44 1,248 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Local BNP candidate leaflets my house today, so being a grumpy twat I message him on facebook telling him 'no thanks'. He's actually a good sport and replies to me, so I start asking him about what he thinks 'British values' are etc, then follow up asking him why anyone should vote BNP as opposed to Labour (ConDems be damned!) and he replies: 'The Labour party is full of paedophiles'.

Hmm.

PSN Adamosaurus-Rex
    XBL: coolbritannia

• Deleted user 1 May 2011 23:40:00
    mal wrote:
    Straight into? It's a summary report; one line about Syrian arms dealers and two about the situation in Syria. Are you telling me you don't see the connection?

I see a painfully obvious attempt by the writers to link the Conservatives with the death of civilians, there's no other reason for it to be written that way. It would be like writing about Guinness sales figures and Terrorism in Ireland, just because sometime terrorists get drunk.
  • Deleted user 1 May 2011 23:40:57
    coolbritannia wrote:
    why anyone should vote BNP as opposed to Labour (ConDems be damned!) and he replies: 'The Labour party is full of paedophiles'.

Hmm.

:D
  • mal 2 May 2011 02:34:32 22,341 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:

I see a painfully obvious attempt by the writers to link the Conservatives with the death of civilians, there's no other reason for it to be written that way.
    Yes, that's what they're saying, because they're illustrating the point that the conservatives have received money from arms dealers who deal in a country where arms are currently being used to kill many including civilians. Granted, there's no proof that this dealer supplied weapons that have been used to kill any civvies, and also the money's coming from his family, not directly from the dealer, but other than that the connection seems incontrevertible.
    It would be like writing about Guinness sales figures and Terrorism in Ireland, just because sometime terrorists get drunk.
    It's hardly that tenuous, surely?

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• coolbritannia 2 May 2011 02:48:31 1,248 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    To be fair, (and I really hate the tories) we have no idea how big that arms dealers family is, this one instance could be tenuous. that said, just look at mark thomas's book "as used on the famous nelson mandela" to see how our govts love to sell to any fucker with a cheque book.

PSN Adamosaurus-Rex
    XBL: coolbritannia

• Deleted user 18 May 2011 22:19:26
    I see the politicians are being stupid again by deliberately misinterpreting what Ken Clarke said.

I wish the children realised they should have better things to do.
  • Chopsen 18 May 2011 22:22:43 15,727 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rape is serious, but not all rape is equal

So you're saying rape isn't serious?

/repeats until loses faith in humanity.
  • LionheartDJH 18 May 2011 22:25:00 19,359 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Alan Pardew gives his thoughts on the matter.

• Deleted user 18 May 2011 23:17:52
    His example of the 'less serious rape' was an 18 year old having consensual sex with a 15 year old. Obviously they're under the age of consent so it counts as rape but I doubt there are many people that think that's the same as someone being forced to have sex.

Ed Miliband and the media are both pathetic.
  • spamdangled 18 May 2011 23:19:27 27,271 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    His example of the 'less serious rape' was an 18 year old having consensual sex with a 15 year old. Obviously they're under the age of consent so it counts as rape but I doubt there are many people that think that's the same as someone being forced to have sex.

Ed Miliband and the media are both pathetic.

Not quite. He also implied that some women enjoy it.

• Page

of 190 First / Last