The UK General Politics Thread Page 129

• Page

of 191 First / Last

• mcmonkeyplc 12 Nov 2013 14:17:48 39,456 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Has anyone read this weeks special report on Britain in the Economist?

It makes for pretty depressing reading.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Deleted user 12 November 2013 15:03:31
    No, whats the general outlook?

to cheer you up then, i been reading nigella farage. : https://twitter.com/NigellaFarage

amusing!
  • mcmonkeyplc 12 Nov 2013 15:17:48 39,456 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That picture pretty much sums up the general outlook if we get key decisions wrong in the next 5 years.

It really is we because of this governments obsession with referendums.

• Deleted user 12 November 2013 15:26:30
    aye, its a pretty delicate situation at the moment, sadly the time is ripe for people to put forward there views or try to get there own way for their own interests rather than for the greater good.
  • LeoliansBro 12 Nov 2013 15:27:08 44,170 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Economist pulled a hissy fit when we didn't help out in Syria. This is their stern rebuke (backlash).

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• LeoliansBro 12 Nov 2013 15:29:25 44,170 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In a variety of ways, Britain has turned from being an enthusiastic global player to something between a free agent and an opinionated spectator.
    As if the only things that happened between 2003 and 2013 were internal to Britain. Let's ignore the collapse of the EU and the Euro (which we were right to pull away from) and the fact that the wars we got into were a) horrendously costly, in every way, and b) morally shaky.

Edit: going over it again, I'm surprised at how tabloidy that article is. Full of carefully trimmed statistics, full of bad things associated with the UK (but never is the blame explicitly laid at the door of Government), full of sweeping statements and omissions to distort the picture towards their conclusion.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 15:33:27 12-11-2013

• mcmonkeyplc 12 Nov 2013 15:46:30 39,456 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I wouldn't say it's tabloidy, it's not that blatant but it is clearly pulling towards their own conclusion.

They've been pissing their pants about Syria ever since that vote.

Also, the EU hasn't collapsed. :p

• mcmonkeyplc 12 Nov 2013 15:49:59 39,456 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Actually maybe it's being overly aggressive about it's point of view because the anti-EU brigade are doing the same thing.

It's about time the pro-EU media made a stand.

• LeoliansBro 12 Nov 2013 15:52:42 44,170 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sorry, I used 'collapse' as shorthand for 'lost pretty much all of its legitimacy as the inherent structural flaws in trying to combine separate fiscal policies with a single currency threatened to drag Greece, then Portugal, then Spain, then Italy and then the rest of the world to financial ruin, only to see it averted at the last minute with no credit to the ECB and leave everyone extremely relieved but no longer willing to pretend with each other that it formed a cohesive whole to rival the US'.

it's one of those times when the Economist think they are some Bilderberg-style lobbying thinktank who can sway public opinion.

• mcmonkeyplc 12 Nov 2013 15:56:42 39,456 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    In this case, I wish they could...but they obviously can't.

Also, on the EU front, I'm going with the not a rival to the US YET point of view. Slight set back of 30 odd years :)

• LeoliansBro 12 Nov 2013 17:10:39 44,170 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    30 odd years? And 300 other years. And a Federal system to which we all cede power.

• Moot_Point 13 Nov 2013 01:09:47 4,062 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    "We need to do more with less. Not just now, but permanently", says Cameron.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• spamdangled 13 Nov 2013 01:21:41 27,355 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    Or until the Tories get voted out and he loses his leadership after limping on for a few post-election months, like every other prime minister/ party leader that loses an election (at least in living memory).

Edited by darkmorgado at 01:22:10 13-11-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• LeoliansBro 13 Nov 2013 06:20:58 44,170 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Neil Kinnock, for example?

• spamdangled 13 Nov 2013 06:25:35 27,355 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well obviously! Take your pick from pretty much any of the party leaders over the last couple decades - Major, Brown, Hague, Kinnock, etc etc etc.

I wasn't thinking of any party in particular when I posted that. Even the minor parties have been liable to it.

Edited by darkmorgado at 06:28:51 13-11-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• LeoliansBro 13 Nov 2013 06:28:18 44,170 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Neil Kinnock of course lost to Thatcher but didn't lose his leadership.

• spamdangled 13 Nov 2013 06:32:24 27,355 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Neil Kinnock of course lost to Thatcher but didn't lose his leadership.
    Not straight away perhaps (and without boring myself reading hefty and normally largely dull memoir tomes It wouldn't surprise me if there were internal pressures on things. You're probably more familiar than me on that particular example though, given your tone.

Edited by darkmorgado at 06:34:06 13-11-2013

• LeoliansBro 13 Nov 2013 06:38:58 44,170 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No, I just think you made another lofty generalisation that isn't true. Not of Neil Kinnock, not of Paddy Ashdown, not of Harold Wilson, not of Churchill.

• spamdangled 13 Nov 2013 06:44:00 27,355 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's not even 7am. If you're expecting in-depth crap at this time in the morning from people then I think you might be a little optimistic ;)

And I was going by my living memory as a general off-the-top-of-my-head thing, certainly wasn't extending it to further-back stuff like Churchill or Wilson, which I thought would have been obvious by the original comment. Have a bowl of cornflakes, the folic acid might make you less irritable :)

• LeoliansBro 13 Nov 2013 06:56:49 44,170 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lactic acid.

• LeoliansBro 13 Nov 2013 06:59:51 44,170 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And I'm not expecting in depth crap from you at any time. It's not even 7am here either, but whatever time of day it is you're still flat wrong, again.

• spamdangled 13 Nov 2013 06:59:53 27,355 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Folic acid deficit causes irritability too. Look it up (i know that one for personal reasons).

Anyway, I'd love to stay and indulge you mister grouchypants, but I have stuff to get on with. Toodles for now.

Edited by darkmorgado at 07:12:29 13-11-2013

• LeoliansBro 13 Nov 2013 07:07:30 44,170 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh gosh yes, now I realise that folic acid us indeed present in cereal, and so I was wrong. Rather than stick to my guns doggedly (and ridiculously) or flounce out of the thread, I will instead apologise for my mistake. Sorry mong.

If there were people out there who were unsure as to how to recognise when they were wrong, or didn't know what they were talking about, then I hope they could find some guidamce and tips in this post. You're welcome.

• LeoliansBro 13 Nov 2013 07:08:26 44,170 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Also 'indulge me'? You patronising little know-nothing shit.

• RedSparrows 13 Nov 2013 08:30:34 22,599 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    Hehehe. Oh Cameron.
  • Moot_Point 13 Nov 2013 09:49:35 4,062 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @RedSparrows I found it funny how metaphorically stuck two finger up at the Arch Bishop of Canterbury stance on benefit reductions.

The article says:
    He also took a gentle swipe at the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Most Rev Justin Welby, who was sitting alongside him. Dr Welby has raised fears over the social impact of cuts to benefit payments.

But Mr Cameron said: At a time when family budgets are tight, it is really worth remembering that this spending comes out of the pockets of the same taxpayers whose living standards we want to see improve.

I hope the Archbishop of Canterbury will forgive me for saying - its not robbing Peter to pay Paul, but rather robbing Peter to pay Peter.
    The irony being the cut in child benefit. Paying peter to pay peter? what a load of bollox. :D

Edit: At least he was being honest about the robbing part.

Edited by Moot_Point at 10:07:40 13-11-2013

================================================================================

• Moot_Point 13 Nov 2013 22:56:41 4,062 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I never, ever said that!

• President_Weasel 14 Nov 2013 00:30:13 9,295 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Sorry, I used 'collapse' as shorthand for 'lost pretty much all of its legitimacy as the inherent structural flaws in trying to combine separate fiscal policies with a single currency threatened to drag Greece, then Portugal, then Spain, then Italy and then the rest of the world to financial ruin, only to see it averted at the last minute with no credit to the ECB and leave everyone extremely relieved but no longer willing to pretend with each other that it formed a cohesive whole to rival the US'.

it's one of those times when the Economist think they are some Bilderberg-style lobbying thinktank who can sway public opinion.
    To be entirely fair, the shakiness of the edifice was only exposed because America's ridiculously unregulated banks fucked the entire world economy into a cocked hat.
    Yes it's pretty crazy to have one currency for a wide variety of different countries with their own bonds and their own interest rates (and a spectrum of differing financial shadiness - what the fuck was anyone doing pretending/believing Greece had actually met the criteria for entry, for starters - or signing off on Italy's dodgy accounts every year?). The whole mishmash was clunking along surprisingly well until America broke the world economy; even though it was stupid and the inherent flaws were extremely obvious, we might have gotten away with it if it weren't for those damn Lehman Brothers.
    (the answer to "what the fuck was anyone doing letting Greece in?" is "politicians wanted an ever growing union and deliberately ignored the fact that the Greeks were fudging their figures")
  • Moot_Point 20 Nov 2013 10:24:33 4,062 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    England prepares to defend its honor!

War with Spain could complicate matters with the EU.

Edited by Moot_Point at 10:24:51 20-11-2013

• LeoliansBro 20 Nov 2013 10:38:05 44,170 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Confiscate the ships to be returned at a later date, and deport the occupants back to Spain. Or too harsh?

• Page

of 191 First / Last