The UK General Politics Thread Page 128

• Page

of 147 First / Last

• mal 8 Nov 2013 17:32:06 21,967 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The outcome of general elections has a pretty big effect on the way the country heads over the next five years. Problem is, nobody voting knows what any of the parties really represent, only vague stereotypes based on the last time they were in power.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• LeoliansBro 8 Nov 2013 17:32:14 41,865 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    We decide nothing about the future of our country when we don't vote, and remove our ability to criticise those in power for not doing what they promised.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• spamdangled 8 Nov 2013 17:33:54 27,197 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    We decide nothing about the future of our country when we don't vote, and remove our ability to criticise those in power for not doing what they promised.
    Totally agree.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Bremenacht 8 Nov 2013 17:39:13 15,756 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I agree tbh, but allow me to make a slight derail:

How many people have to stop voting before it gets to a point where an elected party isn't really valid?

(If I phrased that properly)

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• spamdangled 8 Nov 2013 17:42:29 27,197 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:

How many people have to stop voting before it gets to a point where an elected party isn't really valid?

I'd say we crossed that bridge a long time ago, tbh.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 8 Nov 2013 17:43:52 6,654 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I don't know that the apathy towards our political system necessarily has to be a progressively downward trend.

Obama proved that the right man can inspire and engender a groundswell of political interest.
  • Moot_Point 8 Nov 2013 23:03:45 3,512 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:

Two thirds majority.

Edit (67%)

Edited by Moot_Point at 23:07:06 08-11-2013

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I can't believe this is still going. I'm far too hungover for this. I did not poop on a chair lol!

• Bremenacht 8 Nov 2013 23:33:03 15,756 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There's an actual measure? My question was rhetorical. Or so I thought.

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• BernieLentils 8 Nov 2013 23:50:06 39 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    I don't know that the apathy towards our political system necessarily has to be a progressively downward trend.

Obama proved that the right man can inspire and engender a groundswell of political interest.
    As did Tony Blair....
  • Mr_Sleep 8 Nov 2013 23:54:45 16,261 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Look where that got us. I am not sure the British public will be accepting any time soon of messianic figures after the Blair years.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Moot_Point 9 Nov 2013 00:11:52 3,512 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Oh dear!

I am so shocked. /sarcasm

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I can't believe this is still going. I'm far too hungover for this. I did not poop on a chair lol!

• Moot_Point 9 Nov 2013 00:14:15 3,512 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Bremenacht If two thirds do not vote, it shows the lack of confidence in the political system by the populace. But don't worry those entering the country will make up the shortfall. ;)

• spamdangled 9 Nov 2013 04:34:12 27,197 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Moot_Point

It's almost scary how much the bloke in that photo resembles a young George Osborne.

• tincanrocket 9 Nov 2013 07:57:17 2,832 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Or, by voting we legitimise these parties and individuals and make it seem like we think it is okay for them to carry on doing what they are doing (largely lining their own pockets and those of their university buddies).

Edited by tincanrocket at 07:57:51 09-11-2013
  • Moot_Point 9 Nov 2013 09:20:32 3,512 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Sir, sir it's them!

Pathetic!

• Moot_Point 12 Nov 2013 12:34:36 3,512 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    A FRENCH politician has slammed Britain’s “grotesque and hypocritical” immigration policies for leaving Calais overrun with migrants, says the article.

• LeoliansBro 12 Nov 2013 12:43:59 41,865 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't get it. He complains we encourage migrants into the UK, which we ABSOLUTELY SHOULDN'T DO, but that we stop them from getting in, which we ABSOLUTELY SHOULDN'T DO? He then talks about the black economy (I'm going to assume he means 'black market' but given the French track record on race and immigration I can't be sure) and decides that it's the fault of government policy that people enter the UK illegally. But surely the problem at the top of the article, again, is that they're living in a 'tent city' (with a picture of 7 tents) in Calais and aren't in the UK, illegally or otherwise.

It's a French pop at the UK given a misleading and unrelated headline by the Express.

• LeoliansBro 12 Nov 2013 12:46:24 41,865 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh yeah, and are these people legally in France? Because shut up, your immigration policy seems the same as ours. Or are they illegally in France? Because shut up, maybe you should deal with your own 'black economy' rather than blaming us for your own lax border controls.

• whatfruit 12 Nov 2013 13:00:50 1,080 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @LeoliansBro The article has been used for the express to push its agenda. If you strip out all the IMMIGRANTS! nonsense this a is a french govement offical for Calais saying that due to our percived soft immigration polices Calis is slowly filling up with migrants trying to head for the UK. If they are refused entry then they simply wait in Calais for an opportunity to cross illegally or pay a shifty man.

He is more moaning that this is ruining the city of Calais with homeless migrants sleeping in the park and needs to be addressed.
  • LeoliansBro 12 Nov 2013 13:04:22 41,865 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Absolutely. And they're attracted to the UK with its welfare housing.

Well of course they are, in France they sleep in tents.

• Moot_Point 12 Nov 2013 13:05:08 3,512 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So this is an EU immigration policy issue really?

• spamdangled 12 Nov 2013 13:06:15 27,197 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    A FRENCH politician has slammed Britain’s “grotesque and hypocritical” immigration policies for leaving Calais overrun with migrants, says the article.
    Right-wing politician in slamming immigrants and the UK shocker.

Also, what LB said.

Edited by darkmorgado at 13:07:15 12-11-2013

• LeoliansBro 12 Nov 2013 13:06:34 41,865 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not even that. It's passing the buck for an inadquate French welfare system.

• whatfruit 12 Nov 2013 13:11:43 1,080 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've never been able to understand how these people cross so many borders to get to the UK. Surely they could have been stopped by the other nations border secuirty before they cross the channel.
  • TheSaint 12 Nov 2013 13:13:14 13,629 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I assume the express also mentioned how the French murdered Diana?
  • Moot_Point 12 Nov 2013 13:14:21 3,512 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    If they are refused entry to the UK, surely that is grounds for the EU to send them back to their respective countries. Or am I missing something?

• ScoutTech 12 Nov 2013 13:24:43 2,420 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I heard this on the Radio a few days ago and was bemused. Apparently he thinks we lure immigrants with free housing and free money and unicorns and then they go through his country. As others have said, why don't they improve their immigration controls and clear the camps. Why are France expecting us to deal with them and not themselves.
  • BeardedGamerUK 12 Nov 2013 13:41:59 1,003 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    France always wants other countries to sort out problems they should be sorting out themselves.

Notnecessarilyawarreference.
  • spamdangled 12 Nov 2013 13:51:39 27,197 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    If they are refused entry to the UK, surely that is grounds for the EU to send them back to their respective countries. Or am I missing something?
    A lot of them are asylum seekers fleeing Syria, from the sound of it.

• RedSparrows 12 Nov 2013 14:07:48 20,757 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    He should stop reading the Express.
  • Page

of 147 First / Last