The UK General Politics Thread Page 127

• Page

of 189 First / Last

• Grax 5 Nov 2013 15:35:13 1,711 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @LeoliansBro i dont think you are going to win this argument. People are just don't understand, i had it with someone over the weekend (who had married an Italian) and she was quoting Enoch Powell. How can you begin to get through to people so ignorant
  • LeoliansBro 5 Nov 2013 15:38:20 43,132 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well he's allowed his viewpoint. I'm fine with him saying 'I don't want immigrants in my country' (it's obnoxious but he's welcome to his own opinion) but when he says 'I don't want immigrants in my country and here are some figures that show you why you should agree with me' I'll reserve the right to disagree, especially when the figures are selective, distort the current picture and (in the case of the UK's deficit) misunderstand the basic situation.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• spamdangled 5 Nov 2013 15:46:58 27,269 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    I daren't look at HYS or the Mail reporting of it.
    Pretty much as you'd expect them to

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• RedSparrows 5 Nov 2013 18:11:35 21,960 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    I daren't look at HYS or the Mail reporting of it.
    HYS is full of comments saying

'Nobody had any problem with economic contribution! It's the cultural problem that worries us!'

Which is bollocks, seeing as 'foreign scroungers' has been one of the hallmarks of cunts for years.
  • Bremenacht 5 Nov 2013 22:09:29 17,598 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Do the positive figures include Russian oligarchs and the like settling in the UK? I suppose I could just read the report...

but I don't want to.
  • localnotail 5 Nov 2013 22:37:33 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Not much coverage of the Million Mask marches in mainstream media.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Moot_Point 7 Nov 2013 12:47:47 3,906 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    “You see, we are totally corrupt,”

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• LeoliansBro 7 Nov 2013 12:55:11 43,132 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So K Street exists in the UK as well. Colour me shocked.

• spamdangled 8 Nov 2013 11:25:25 27,269 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So Labour are employing that age-old parliamentary tradition: the Fillibuster (or "talking it out") when it comes to the EU Referendum bill.

Be interesting to see if they succeed.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• TheSaint 8 Nov 2013 11:28:37 14,198 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Appears to be a popular debate:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24859102
  • Mr_Sleep 8 Nov 2013 11:30:13 16,838 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Appears to be a popular debate:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24859102
    That is pretty much every debate that isn't PMQs.

You are a factory of sadness.

• spamdangled 8 Nov 2013 11:30:33 27,269 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    :D

That's actually well-attended compared to most. Apparently the Tories under orders not to interfere.

• LionheartDJH 8 Nov 2013 15:08:29 19,359 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    So Labour are employing that age-old parliamentary tradition: the Fillibuster (or "talking it out") when it comes to the EU Referendum bill.

Hopefully they've got a copy of the Yellow Pages handy...

She dives for cheese pasties

• mcmonkeyplc 8 Nov 2013 16:05:01 39,384 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:

Care to elaborate? I didn't think a Fillibuster was possible in our system?

Come and get it cumslingers!

• glaeken 8 Nov 2013 16:14:43 11,083 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The EU referendum is a terrible idea. People are going to vote upon xenophobic grounds. I honestly think the question of if we should stay in or not is far to complex to put to referendum and people are going to be voting to go out due to not wanting foreigners telling us what to do with no concept of how it might actually play out and really effect the UK.

Personally I have no idea if we would be better in or out so I don't think I would be qualified to make the call.

Edited by glaeken at 16:17:02 08-11-2013
  • Dougs 8 Nov 2013 16:22:37 66,588 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You can easily run out of parliamentary time, there are only so many sitting days and a lot of legislation to get through in both Houses. This  is a private members bill too, which almost never see the light of day.
  • mcmonkeyplc 8 Nov 2013 16:27:06 39,384 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    You can easily run out of parliamentary time, there are only so many sitting days and a lot of legislation to get through in both Houses. This  is a private members bill too, which almost never see the light of day.
    Oh he's talking about that? I thought he was referring to big Daves retarded plan.

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 8 Nov 2013 16:33:43 6,654 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    The EU referendum is a terrible idea. People are going to vote upon xenophobic grounds. I honestly think the question of if we should stay in or not is far to complex to put to referendum and people are going to be voting to go out due to not wanting foreigners telling us what to do with no concept of how it might actually play out and really effect the UK.

Personally I have no idea if we would be better in or out so I don't think I would be qualified to make the call.
    That's my perception of how every issue plays out imo. Nobody can have the slightest clue how shit will play out based on logic because there are always too many variables at play.

It's probably why history degrees are so common among politicians; zomg how did this shit play out last time something similar happened :D
  • spamdangled 8 Nov 2013 16:42:39 27,269 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:

Care to elaborate? I didn't think a Fillibuster was possible in our system?
    The idea is that they talk... and talk... and talk until the deadline for it becoming law passes without a vote. It's employed quite often - a couple of years ago the House of Lords even had to put out makeshift beds as a debate went on throught an entire night.

• LeoliansBro 8 Nov 2013 16:46:59 43,132 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes he knows what a filibuster is, I'm sure. But I didn't think we had the retarded 'cannot cede the floor' kindergarten bullshit that America has.

• mcmonkeyplc 8 Nov 2013 16:50:46 39,384 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Yes he knows what a filibuster is, I'm sure. But I didn't think we had the retarded 'cannot cede the floor' kindergarten bullshit that America has.
    Yes this.

• spamdangled 8 Nov 2013 16:52:16 27,269 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Interventions are at the discretion of the person speaking.

As far as ceding the floor, it's down to the Speaker in attendance. On this occasion it looks like one of the Tories requested that the debate move on to voting, and the Speaker agreed.

• rudedudejude 8 Nov 2013 16:57:38 2,147 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Trust the population to make an informed decision which will decide the position of the future of our country?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

We're fucked.
  • spamdangled 8 Nov 2013 16:58:29 27,269 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    rudedudejude wrote:
    Trust the population to make an informed decision which will decide the position of the future of our country?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

We're fucked.
    That's certainly the Labour point of view it seems :D

Not without cause, to be fair.

• LeoliansBro 8 Nov 2013 17:02:51 43,132 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, we trust the population to make an informed decision which will decide the position of the future of our country every five years already.

• Popzeus 8 Nov 2013 17:03:11 8,272 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Referenda are generally a terrible idea. Between the EU referendum and the Scottish independence referendum, you could be looking at two massive changes for the worse, wrought by the tiny proportion of the population who gives enough of a fuck to vote either way, based almost entirely on arbitrary personal prejudice.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• rudedudejude 8 Nov 2013 17:06:04 2,147 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The average joe shouldn't be voting full stop about anything that requires a modicum of brain activity to decide on. Jesus, look at some of those MPs that get elected. I mean, Nadine Dorries? Ahahahaha!

Europe! Ha! It's just a popularity contest that will swing to whoever has the biggest media budget and the best marketing team.

Going by the amount of 'tards that visit the Mail Online, I'm sure whichever angle they take will get the win.

Maybe there should be an exam before you can vote, to check you are informed about the entire for / against argument.
  • LeoliansBro 8 Nov 2013 17:07:40 43,132 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And I'm sure you'd pass. However our MPs represent the interests of all the people in the UK, not just those who consider themselves superior.

• Bremenacht 8 Nov 2013 17:24:16 17,598 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Well, we trust the population to make an informed decision which will decide the position of the future of our country every five years already.
    That's why this Russell Brand stuff blew up. Look at the promises made at the last GE which both Tories and Liberals broke.

What does is say for our political parties when they quite happily do that, and just blame the last lot for everything? What does it say for our open and unbiased press, when they (mostly) ignore these broken policies, because their owners say so?

We decide very little about the future of the country when we vote.
  • spamdangled 8 Nov 2013 17:28:55 27,269 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    rudedudejude wrote:
    Maybe there should be an exam before you can vote, to check you are informed about the entire for / against argument.
    That's what manifestos and things are for in elections, and I'm sure that before the referendum there will be a Yes and No campaign similar to the AV referendum so people can make an informed choice.

Yeah, we're fucked.

• Page

of 189 First / Last