The UK General Politics Thread Page 793

• Page

of 826 First / Last

• Deleted user 6 October 2017 12:58:54
    The tories self-importance is breath taking. They want a leadership election in the narrow window we've got to try sort out brexit. They simply don't give a shit.
  • LittleSparra 6 Oct 2017 13:01:17 7,172 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Quite aside from Corbyn et al, there is an arrogance at the heat of Tory history that says 'we are the Natural Party of Government'.

It's essentially 'patricians know best', tempered over the years by 'yeah, go grab the cash, bourgeois! We now like money openly! Feast, piggies!'
  • JamboWayOh 6 Oct 2017 13:08:32 3,957 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mecha-DR wrote:
    The tories self-importance is breath taking. They want a leadership election in the narrow window we've got to try sort out brexit. They simply don't give a shit.
    I could've sworn straight after the result of the snap election they were all bleating about trying to maintain stability and get through brexit and a leadership election was the last thing they wanted for the sake of the country. Absolute fucking chancers.
  • GoatApocalypse 17 Oct 2017 08:14:43 3,206 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Tories are only concerned with maintaining power so as to be able to continue transferring public wealth into increasingly few private hands.
  • Blurp 20 Oct 2017 18:08:56 1,079 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So a video has emerged of Clive Lewis at a Labour event telling a man - a friend of his - in the audience to "get on your knees bitch". It was obviously said in jest. Is that sexist? I'm not one to use the phrase 'it's PC gone mad', but.... it's PC gone mad.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 20 Oct 2017 18:42:24 4,974 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'd be more interested in Ian Lavery using trade union money to buy himself a house that the Beeb were reporting the morning if I was after a look how bad Labour are story.

That said it's not a great look for a progressive politician to be on stage at a left wing event and be making a joke like that in times like these. The problem with claiming the moral high ground in politics is that you've given yourself a lot more to live up to than someone everybody knows is a terrible person.
  • JamboWayOh 20 Oct 2017 18:46:05 3,957 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Blurp wrote:
    So a video has emerged of Clive Lewis at a Labour event telling a man - a friend of his - in the audience to "get on your knees bitch". It was obviously said in jest. Is that sexist? I'm not one to use the phrase 'it's PC gone mad', but.... it's PC gone mad.
    I think this one is a bit ridiculous, I read the Guardian article, even a female reporter for the paper basically stood up for him. I think the thing here is a classic aspect of delayed outrage. No one who was there at the party like event was bothered because they were to see it in context. Everyone who is outraged has basically seen a 15 second clip with no context and lost their shit.
  • Blurp 23 Oct 2017 21:54:25 1,079 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Mr O'Mara said it would be funny if jazz star Jamie Cullum was "sodomised with his own piano".

I'm sorry, but that's kinda funny.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 23 Oct 2017 22:51:20 4,974 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    O'Mara has a pattern of being a titanic shitbag. People are bending over backwards to try and excuse what he's said but it wasn't just a few random messageboard posts, its been in person too and it isn't just stuff from 15 years ago, there is chat coming right up almost to his election.

I wish it was more of a shock that someone from Labour would turn out to be a sexist bully but it really isn't.

I'd put money on him having a history of 'friendzone' 'nice guy' posts too.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 23 Oct 2017 23:02:35 4,974 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The Labour doublethink over it all is pretty depressing too.

Same as with antisemitism, with sexism, apparently it doesn't count when Labour people do it because they consider themselves the good guys.
  • mothercruncher 1 Nov 2017 12:40:41 14,234 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh boy, juicy juice.

There’s an unredacted version of that Tory MP list published today by an (I think) American website. I’m not linking, but google “observer sex dossier” and you’ll see... things.
  • Jono62 1 Nov 2017 12:45:19 18,469 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oooh, interesting.

'Handsy in taxis'. :)
  • Mfolf 1 Nov 2017 12:48:46 1,572 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/observer.com/2017/10/westminster-sex-dossier-reveals-36-accounts-of-alleged-misconduct/amp/

This?
  • JamboWayOh 1 Nov 2017 13:00:41 3,957 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I love the Liam Fox entry. No description just a name of the person who we all know.
  • FWB 1 Nov 2017 13:09:09 54,071 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    So a reshuffle, no real job losses and these cunts will be back in position in a couple of years. Fucking hate our government.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Nov 2017 13:29:17 4,974 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I wouldn't get too gloaty over this sort of thing when some of it could be pretty nasty and it's all over the House
  • JamboWayOh 1 Nov 2017 13:32:01 3,957 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My mate who used to be a researcher for a lib dem mp has no dirt unfortunately. I'm very intrigued to see what some Labour MPs have been up to. Interestingly that dossier revealed that a lot MPs hire female researchers to do 'odd things'.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Nov 2017 13:39:25 4,974 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Telling activists and party workers not to report actual rapes "for the greater good" is a very worrying and horrible start for the Labour Party.

But it's a claim that sounds very very plausible.

Also - if you're at a march and get handed an SWP placard bin it because they have been called out for doing the above for years.
  • JamboWayOh 1 Nov 2017 13:42:09 3,957 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Telling activists and party workers not to report actual rapes "for the greater good" is a very worrying and horrible start for the Labour Party.

But it's a claim that sounds very very plausible.

Also - if you're at a march and get handed an SWP placard bin it because they have been called out for doing the above for years.
    Yeah, it definitely made for grim reading, but I can see it, she reports it and watches as the accused does everything to discredit her and make sure she never works in politics again.
  • FWB 1 Nov 2017 13:44:25 54,071 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    And as we are seeing with O'Mara, Momentum's vetting process is even better.
  • brokenkey 1 Nov 2017 14:59:29 9,140 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    This guy. Stud muffin:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwasi_Kwarteng
  • Ginger 1 Nov 2017 15:02:08 7,243 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    This guy. Stud muffin:
    Yeah, i thought it was a bit funny that he was mentioned in the contents but not called out directly
  • brokenkey 1 Nov 2017 15:04:45 9,140 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ginger wrote:
    brokenkey wrote:
    This guy. Stud muffin:
    Yeah, i thought it was a bit funny that he was mentioned in the contents but not called out directly
    He's the junior victim in all this.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Nov 2017 15:20:40 4,974 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    but he was pro-Corbyn that means you don't need to do anymore checks because all anti-Corbyn statements are Red Tory New Labour Blairite lies!!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 1 Nov 2017 15:27:33 2,127 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @brokenkey There’s some genuinely bad behaviour alleged on the list, but also what look like some normal affairs between consenting adults. Not sure it’s helpful to conflate the two. MPs shagging each other isn’t a major shock.

But yes... bloody hell... Kwarteng. He’s probably feeling curiously smug today.
  • H1ggyLTD 1 Nov 2017 15:33:31 7,848 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    FWB wrote:
    but he was pro-Corbyn that means you don't need to do anymore checks because all anti-Corbyn statements are Red Tory New Labour Blairite lies!!
    You're the only person in this thread politicising this.
  • DaM 1 Nov 2017 16:09:51 16,868 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    I love the Liam Fox entry. No description just a name of the person who we all know.
    That's the best one :)

Poor Liz Truss - all the men are being "inappropriate", while she is "fornicating"!

I didn't know you could pay a woman to be quiet. Wonder what the going rate it? Be worth it for peace over breakfast.

Edited by DaM at 16:10:57 01-11-2017
  • reviewer 1 Nov 2017 17:54:48 4,787 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @brokenkey There’s some genuinely bad behaviour alleged on the list, but also what look like some normal affairs between consenting adults. Not sure it’s helpful to conflate the two. MPs shagging each other isn’t a major shock.

But yes... bloody hell... Kwarteng. He’s probably feeling curiously smug today.
    It says a lot about what we expect from our politicians now that affairs are now 'ok'.

20 years ago there would have been sackings or at least major news stories about each one. Boris has an NDA? Now no one cares.
  • challenge_hanukkah 1 Nov 2017 18:03:45 5,371 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This one was always my favourite:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Milligan

That and Mellor's toe sucking antics.
  • El_MUERkO 1 Nov 2017 18:32:26 18,266 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    This one was always my favourite:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Milligan

That and Mellor's toe sucking antics.
    Following Milligan's death, Hat Trick Productions, the producers of the BBC's satirical television programme Have I Got News For You, sent black bin bags, oranges and black stockings to journalists to publicise a new series of the show. The BBC subsequently apologised to Milligan's parents for the incident.[13]
    :lol:
  • Page

of 826 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.