The UK General Politics Thread Page 74

• Page

of 210 First / Last

• neosalad 27 Jan 2013 18:08:02 953 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Mooney wrote:
    She's just become the most important woman in the world.
    Not even close.
    Sheryl Tweedy?
  • morriss 27 Jan 2013 18:09:08 71,123 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    I've been saying there needs to be a decrease in student numbers for years. There has been an ideological driven inflation in numbers based on the simplistic notion that more students = awesomes, without actually worrying about the quality of eductation they were getting, if there were any jobs at the if for them and who was going to pay for it. This is just that correcting itself.

Do you have anything interesting or useful to contribute, morriss, or is random smart arse sniping your thing now?
    Thats always been my thing. And that is useful. You seem to equate an education as purely utilitarian with no other pay-offs to your society other than a means of positive/negative taxes. That simplistic narrow-minded view is what exactly what I'm taking the piss out of.

You know, the educated looking down on the uneducated. I thought you'd approve.
  • Mooney 27 Jan 2013 18:14:43 52 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    people ask me why I do this job. Because it gives me tools. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnPvbfogeSI
  • Mooney 27 Jan 2013 18:17:56 52 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    You can't stop a populance taking back their country, perhaps you should. I'm in the shit now
  • Mooney 27 Jan 2013 18:18:00 52 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    You can't stop a populance taking back their country, perhaps you should. I'm in the shit now
  • Mooney 27 Jan 2013 18:21:05 52 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Perhaps you should? seems to me like you're all zombies. perhaps you should kick off and watch what happenes :D ps I'm a good shit stirry/
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 27 Jan 2013 18:29:03 38,677 posts
    Seen 41 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm not sure you could stir your drink right now, let alone any civil unrest.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Deleted user 27 January 2013 18:56:32
    There doesn't necessarily need to be a decrease in students, there needs to be a decrease in utterly useless degrees. Create a set of core objectives for creating a useful occupational degree - if a degree course doesn't meet those objectives, cut its grants. Get people studying English, Science and Maths rather than Film Studies, Leisure and Travel and Cosmetics. Or, alternatively, change degree courses so they actually have to include more core subjects as a requirement, so that even a degree in hairdressing is fundamentally useful.
  • themanfromdelmonte 27 Jan 2013 22:33:00 587 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @meme

They should survey the requirements for degrees in employment. Then adjust tuition fees accordingly. Degrees in high demand from employers, with too few taking them would be elegable for a discounted rate. Subjects with fewer positions, but more studying them, would be charged at an increased rate to make up the shortfall.

But, why I came in here. Nick Clegg has realised that 5 years of potential uncertainty over Britians membership of the EU will damage our economy. He thusly is awarded the No Shit Sherlock award. If only Cammerosbourne had realised. Of course they did, but the Tory party comes before Britain.
  • ResidentKnievel 3 Feb 2013 22:07:51 6,238 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's a good thing these people are old and will die soon

Almost can't believe that the gay marriage issue can split a political party in this day and age.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Dougs 4 Feb 2013 14:09:18 68,385 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hahaha, Chris Huhne is fucked! Changed his perjury plea to guilty, has resigned as an MP and will do time.
  • President_Weasel 4 Feb 2013 14:14:17 9,452 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Over a speeding ticket. The cover up is always worse than the crime.
    I believe his wife's also facing charges for perjury; he managed to get her so angry she'll go to jail in order to wreck his life. Impressive, in a way.

And yes, Resi. It's ridiculous and backwards and irritating, but at least we can hope it causes electoral problems for the Tories. A party that's happy to risk the economy by doing "not in not out" dog whistles to the UKIP tendency when they're already wrecking it with their failing austerity policies (which were only ever an excuse to put the boot in to programs they didn't like) deserves to get torn apart by a non-issue like this.

Edited by President_Weasel at 14:17:13 04-02-2013
  • TheSaint 4 Feb 2013 14:18:20 14,607 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm sure Darkmongo told us this was all made up by his bitter ex wife. Hell hath no fury etc.
  • nickthegun 4 Feb 2013 14:18:39 60,444 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i just watched the tale end of the news and after the 'I have done the right thing' statement, all of the talking heads said 'well its about fucking time. How much did this idiot cost us to bring to trial?'.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Megapocalypse 4 Feb 2013 15:00:18 5,469 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bollocks he's 'done the right thing'. Pleaded not guilty all the way through, right up until the start of trial, potentially costing thousands to the public. Utter cunt.
  • LeoliansBro 4 Feb 2013 15:05:49 44,506 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Megapocalypse wrote:
    Utter cunt.
    Absolutely, ridiculous above-the-law self-important arrogant twat. Jeffrey Archer acolyte once again showing the hypocrisy at the heart of the Lib Dems that we all knew would surface if they ever got a sniff of power.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• chopsen 4 Feb 2013 18:42:46 16,126 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Chopsen wrote:
    I've been saying there needs to be a decrease in student numbers for years. There has been an ideological driven inflation in numbers based on the simplistic notion that more students = awesomes, without actually worrying about the quality of education they were getting, if there were any jobs at the if for them and who was going to pay for it. This is just that correcting itself.

Do you have anything interesting or useful to contribute, morriss, or is random smart arse sniping your thing now?
    Thats always been my thing. And that is useful. You seem to equate an education as purely utilitarian with no other pay-offs to your society other than a means of positive/negative taxes. That simplistic narrow-minded view is what exactly what I'm taking the piss out of.

You know, the educated looking down on the uneducated. I thought you'd approve.
    Hadn't seen this till now.

No, I'm not equating it as a positive/negative on taxes. I'm talking about cheapening education. It's not worth everybody going to university if the quality of the education they get is diluted, and does everyone a disservice as it a waste of resources, and years of people's lives.

If everybody could have access to a high quality education for their own personal development, then that is fantastic. I'm a big fan of the Open University in what they provide, and I think it's a shame what is happening to them as a result of the funding reforms in higher education. I think people should have access to education for their personal development. Ideally not for purely economic reasons but because it enriches people's lives.

You don't get there by just increasing university places and expecting the funding sort itself out. It means more people have a poor qualification, and the reality of the matter is it *does* cost money, and the return of that is poor given the way student numbers increased. If you do that, student numbers decrease because you haven't really increased funding to higher education at all, you've just pushed it beyond what is sustainable. We can sit round being idealists all we want, but universities don't run on good will.

You're an presumptive, arrogant, patronising monomaniac, blinded by your own self-righteousness. You're an intelligent person, but discussing things with you is unrewarding because you act like a cunt towards other people.
  • Megapocalypse 4 Feb 2013 20:12:54 5,469 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
  • spamdangled 4 Feb 2013 20:32:21 27,413 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    I'm sure Darkmongo told us this was all made up by his bitter ex wife. Hell hath no fury etc.
    No, his wife brought it all up because he was, allegedly, planning on making a move for party leadership.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Deleted user 4 February 2013 20:36:57
    I liked the bit where his son threatened to shop him to the fuzzz for his continuied lies and kept a track of the SMS

Classy.
  • spamdangled 4 Feb 2013 20:38:45 27,413 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Heh, i need to check up on this. Not really watched the news today.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Deleted user 4 February 2013 21:02:02
    In essence it's a marriage break-up gone public that no one cares about but everyone thinks he deserves to get at least 10 years gaol time.

No?
  • spamdangled 4 Feb 2013 21:04:45 27,413 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    From what I understand, pretty much. It's a very bitter break up where the one that thinks they've been jilted is out to get her revenge.

• Deleted user 4 February 2013 21:10:47
    darkmorgado wrote:
    From what I understand, pretty much. It's a very bitter break up where the one that thinks they've been jilted is out to get her revenge.
    Your typo speaks volumes dude and let it stand.

No one gives a flying fuck about it whatsoever these days but it is time-worthy seeing as it's perjury.

It's more fun just ignoring it and getting him on HIGNFY though....
  • Megapocalypse 4 Feb 2013 21:19:51 5,469 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dark/Ironlungs, if he was a Tory MP, or a police officer you would be calling for his blood, and rightly so.

It doesn't matter why his ex-wife brought it up; he still did it. He perverted the course of justice. When he was caught, he claimed his innocence in front of the cameras. He said the CPS had it wrong; the lawyers that looked at the case were wrong, the police were wrong. Everyone was wrong and he was the innocent victim.

He is just another MP who thinks the law does not apply to him because of his position. Absolute scum.

It costs approximately 10k to bring a trial to crown court with a further 10k for every day the trial runs. Think about that.

Edited by Megapocalypse at 21:20:38 04-02-2013
  • Deleted user 4 February 2013 21:24:25
    @Megapocalypse - yeah I agree, that's what I've been saying...
  • TheSaint 4 Feb 2013 22:34:29 14,607 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Whatever the outcome of the court case this is going to be the most interesting by-election for a while.
  • spamdangled 5 Feb 2013 11:05:16 27,413 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My fingers are firmly crossed for the gay marriage vote later today.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 5 Feb 2013 11:38:56 38,677 posts
    Seen 41 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Careful, you might not have the energy to uncross them again.

I'm in support of same sex marriage, but I did have a chuckle at the news yesterday when those Torys were at number 10 to oppose it. Old white men, each and every one of them.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• DaM 5 Feb 2013 11:41:10 13,332 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    My fingers are firmly crossed for the gay marriage vote later today.
    Shouldn't be in doubt? With Labour, Lib Dem and a chunk of the Tories voting for?

I still can't fathom the arguments against it, other than straightforward, good old fashioned homophobia. I don't recall anything about children, sex or God in my bog standard marriage vows. They want to "protect" marriage by ... not letting people get married...
  • Page

of 210 First / Last