The UK General Politics Thread Page 66

• Page

of 190 First / Last

• RedSparrows 19 Dec 2012 15:32:39 22,214 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    It seems fair enough to me. I wonder how many people on benefits make their kids eat unhealthy cheap crap so that they have enough left over to keep them in booze and fags for the week?

Anything that encourages people to spend their benefits on the right things seems good to me.
    There's 'encourage' and there's 'dictate'. Quite why anyone on benefits is seen as a feckless, irresponsibl-OH WAIT.
  • ResidentKnievel 30 Dec 2012 09:08:48 6,162 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I had a horrible dream last night that the Conservatives won the next election with a majority and got rid of the NHS and Eric Cantona was mean to me

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• muttler 3 Jan 2013 13:20:15 3,972 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    People on benefits who refuse to exercise will soon have their benefits cut in a move to save the NHS 5bn

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20897681
  • kalel 3 Jan 2013 13:28:42 86,743 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm sort of torn on this one. I hate the idea that the government would control things like this, and it does feel like a horrible step towards a nanny state.

At the same time, I also believe if privileges are abused, then they should be taken away, and it's quite clear that benefits should not be spend on something like Sky television. Thats not the same as saying the unemployed shouldn't be allowed social interaction or entertainment (a ridiculous strawman).

So yeah, torn. I suspect it's one of those cases where we just have to lump some people being cunts for the greater principle of freedom being preserved, but it would be nice if there was a way of clamping down on the cunts without that being effected.
  • mcmonkeyplc 3 Jan 2013 13:33:54 39,406 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    "The best way [councils] can intervene is to stop restaurants and fast-food chains providing the kind of food that make people put on weight, and interfere with the way foods are sold in shops."
    Cause that's less drastic?!

Also the monitoring is crap. Smartcards for the fatties to swipe into leisure centres? What's stopping the from sitting on their arses when they're in the gym/ pool?

Although apparently getting to the gym is the hard part...

Come and get it cumslingers!

• muttler 3 Jan 2013 13:41:05 3,972 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think it's a brilliant idea, as long as the gym / pool use is paid for, what excuse could they possibly have? It will do them a world of good, and save us money.
  • kalel 3 Jan 2013 13:44:56 86,743 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My comment above was about the previous link btw, although I kinda have similar views on this. It's all part of the same initiative really.
  • Psychotext 3 Jan 2013 13:46:23 53,915 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Exercise isn't going to do shit. I know loads of fatties who exercise... it basically lets them eat more as far as they're concerned.
  • LeoliansBro 3 Jan 2013 13:46:56 43,632 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's food stamps by another name. I find it abhorrent.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• TheSaint 3 Jan 2013 13:55:24 14,260 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We should have incentives like this for anyone who is obese not just people on benefits.
  • glaeken 3 Jan 2013 13:55:32 11,123 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    muttler wrote:
    I think it's a brilliant idea, as long as the gym / pool use is paid for, what excuse could they possibly have? It will do them a world of good, and save us money.
    The Gym/pool usage is unlikely to be paid for. I know someone who has been on long term incapacity benefits and has been trying to get more active and the local authority Gym offers a very small discount over normal prices for someone in their position. It's actually barely worth them offering the discount it's so crap.
  • mcmonkeyplc 3 Jan 2013 14:03:21 39,406 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    We should have incentives like this for anyone who is obese not just people on benefits.
    What are you going to take away from someone that's NOT on benefits?

Edited by mcmonkeyplc at 14:05:21 03-01-2013

• LeoliansBro 3 Jan 2013 14:03:49 43,632 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Their benefits i guess.

• muttler 3 Jan 2013 14:05:07 3,972 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Even if its only a discount its still a great idea. It will do people good to spend money on gym rather than other stuff.
  • mcmonkeyplc 3 Jan 2013 14:05:41 39,406 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Their benefits i guess.
    Shut it smart arse.

:p

• muttler 3 Jan 2013 14:07:49 3,972 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Their benefits i guess.
    I think he meant what are you going to take away from people who aren't on benefits. In which case, tax incentives. I'm overweight and im up for that.
  • Load_2.0 3 Jan 2013 14:10:44 19,099 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The unemployed will become massive muscle beasts and overthrow the law.

It will be like living on a Chavvy Eternia
  • TheSaint 3 Jan 2013 14:12:55 14,260 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:
    I'm talking about free classes and swimming rather than taking anything way.
  • LeoliansBro 3 Jan 2013 14:14:14 43,632 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:
    Post edit: why not make government gyms part of the NHS budget, not free but subsidised?

• magicpanda 3 Jan 2013 14:16:37 13,324 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They should all be herded and whipped naked to the local playing field and forced to play rounders.
  • X201 3 Jan 2013 14:23:18 15,225 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:

Post edit: why not make government gyms part of the NHS budget, not free but subsidised?

You'll never get elected if you keep spouting common sense ideas.
  • ModishNouns 3 Jan 2013 14:25:57 4,655 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Could we use them* to generate electricity?

* By 'them', I'm not sure if I mean government gyms or poor fat people. Perhaps the terms are interchangeable.
  • FWB 3 Jan 2013 14:29:03 44,071 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Totally agree with this idea. Though not the complete solution, fat, lazy fucks need a kick up the arse sometimes (as do skinny lazy fucks, like myself).
  • mcmonkeyplc 3 Jan 2013 14:34:21 39,406 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm yes. But what are the incentives for fatties that aren't on benefits? We can say you can go to this cheap gym and lose weight but there is nothing incentivising them to actually go.

Money might work.

• senso-ji 3 Jan 2013 14:35:37 5,837 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Instead of looking into even more ways to cap benefits for a section of society that repulse the Tories, perhaps our government will look into ways of educating everyone on healthy eating and maybe even increase taxes on fatty foods and subsidise the healthier options.
  • LeoliansBro 3 Jan 2013 14:39:18 43,632 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm yes. But what are the incentives for fatties that aren't on benefits? We can say you can go to this cheap gym and lose weight but there is nothing incentivising them to actually go.

Money might work.
    I'm more a fan of the carrot than the stick. Here though you might be right - there are plenty of free ways of exercising which people can avail themselves of, but don't.

BMI-based tax banding it is.

• FWB 3 Jan 2013 14:40:04 44,071 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm not sure education at an adult level will do that much. People know the dangers, but they don't outweigh their pleasure. We all do it.

Do the slender nations provide a lot of education on the matter? Or do they just learn to eat moderately and be more a active from a young age?
  • Deleted user 3 January 2013 14:45:08
    TheSaint wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:
    I'm talking about free classes and swimming rather than taking anything way.
    Why should fat people get that reward? What about those that already get exercise, possibly even without needing leisure facilities to do so?

Edited by Aargh. at 14:45:18 03-01-2013
  • Page

of 190 First / Last