The UK General Politics Thread Page 43

• Page

of 190 First / Last

• Bremenacht 19 Sep 2012 20:05:07 17,613 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The return of the death sentence: yes or no?

Renewed discussion of the subject following the apparently pre-meditated murders of those two policewomen. Can't help but feel Hammurabi might have had the right idea, and that this cunt should be pushed into a cell and have a hand-grenade chucked in with him.
  • Bremenacht 19 Sep 2012 20:05:46 17,613 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Maybe wrong thread to start that again actually.
  • LeoliansBro 19 Sep 2012 20:15:44 43,228 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Death sentence?

Absolutely not. And the phrase 'an eye for an eye' seems an especially apt way of encapsulating my thoughts on the matter.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• FWB 19 Sep 2012 20:18:57 43,841 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    While we're part of the EU it can't be implemented. No state in the union is allowed to.

Although I for one would see it return... in very special cases.
  • disusedgenius 19 Sep 2012 20:24:25 5,220 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It doesn't bother me in extreme cases, but then you shouldn't necessarily betray your principles for such one-offs anyway. So meh.
  • LeoliansBro 19 Sep 2012 20:30:59 43,228 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We just have the same half dozen or so arguments again and again on here, don't we? How power corrupts, how the justice system is too severe or not severe enough, how we can look down on the rest of the world and laugh at their idiosyncracies. How games aren't what they used to be, how your console isn't as good as mine. How well your team is doing this season, or positioned for the next. How proud we are of our country, or how let down.

Endless commentary. Cyclical and, on your third or fourth playthrough, not worth it.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• RedSparrows 19 Sep 2012 20:31:44 22,059 posts
    Seen 54 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No, ever.
  • Bremenacht 19 Sep 2012 20:32:34 17,613 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    :)

Cheery old LB!
  • Rusty_M 19 Sep 2012 20:33:26 4,579 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The biggest problem I have with the death penalty is that some people will be put to death, then later found to be not guilty. At least people can be released from jail.

We can't yet un-dead them.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• RobTheBuilder 20 Sep 2012 10:06:56 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2012/09/20/nick-clegg-says-sorry-the-autotune-remix/

Just great.
  • kalel 20 Sep 2012 10:09:12 86,389 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That link is spreading like wildfire but deservedly so. Superb.

Terrifies me the speed at which people get things like that done.
  • RobTheBuilder 20 Sep 2012 10:12:31 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @kalel Must be a day of solid work to tie it up with the video!
  • brokenkey 20 Sep 2012 10:13:42 6,945 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    The return of the death sentence: yes or no?

Renewed discussion of the subject following the apparently pre-meditated murders of those two policewomen. Can't help but feel Hammurabi might have had the right idea, and that this cunt should be pushed into a cell and have a hand-grenade chucked in with him.
    How was it pre-meditated? I've not seen that mentioned before.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• RobTheBuilder 20 Sep 2012 10:16:08 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, from the sound of it he has killed police before, and was ready with a loaded weapon amd grenade to fire at them the second they arrived.

We cannot use this as an excuse to bring back the death penalty or arm our police, that would just be the total wrong reaction.
  • kalel 20 Sep 2012 10:18:52 86,389 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Death penalty will never come back. It's a can of worms that is a no-win situation to open for any political party. The cost implications alone would kill it.
  • RobTheBuilder 20 Sep 2012 10:27:01 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thank god.
  • Bremenacht 24 Sep 2012 23:27:00 17,613 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyone see the Newsnight take on LibDem shenanigans this evening? They seem to be suggesting that the Tories are supporting Vince Cable -with particular attention to his 'Cable Bank'- in the hope that the LibDems will get rid of Cleggy and replace him with Vince! Some other stuff about buggering up Labour's scheming to get Vince on board too.

I don't get it. Why would Tories seek to support their most ideological opponent? Shome mishtake shurely? Or is it shenanigans within shenanigans within shenanigans?.
  • mal 25 Sep 2012 02:59:14 22,339 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's getting more and more like The Thick Of It every day.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Psychotext 25 Sep 2012 13:49:52 53,843 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As expected, Mitchell lied and Cameron (and the police for that matter) are doing their best to hush it up:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/9564688/David-Cameron-accused-of-cover-up-over-Andrew-Mitchell-police-rant.html

What a shower of wankers they all are.
  • MetalDog 25 Sep 2012 13:59:13 23,708 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    After a few months of research and interaction with police officers, I get the distinct impression that the force could be radically improved by replacing a significant portion of the top ranking officers. The fish really does seem to rot from the head in this instance.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• MrDigital 25 Sep 2012 13:59:56 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    In all fairness, all we have to judge this situation is someone's word against another person's word. I agree completely that if what was claimed to have been said had been said, that it is entirely unacceptable, but we're just going on the officers words, are we not? And it's far from impossible that he could be lying.

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• X201 25 Sep 2012 14:04:43 15,138 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Anyone see the Newsnight take on LibDem shenanigans this evening? They seem to be suggesting that the Tories are supporting Vince Cable -with particular attention to his 'Cable Bank'- in the hope that the LibDems will get rid of Cleggy and replace him with Vince! Some other stuff about buggering up Labour's scheming to get Vince on board too.

I don't get it. Why would Tories seek to support their most ideological opponent? Shome mishtake shurely? Or is it shenanigans within shenanigans within shenanigans?.
    Divide and conquer.

(Not that that will be needed with the Lib Dems come the next election when their vote collapses.)
  • Mr_Sleep 25 Sep 2012 14:08:46 16,848 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You're all fucking plebs!

I guess I'd better resign from Eurogamer now.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Psychotext 25 Sep 2012 14:18:56 53,843 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Geesh wrote:
    ...but we're just going on the officers words, are we not? And it's far from impossible that he could be lying.
    Two officers, so no... it doesn't seem particularly likely.

Besides, if the cop had really wanted to cause shit he'd have just arrested him, he'd have been within his rights.

Edited by Psychotext at 14:19:54 25-09-2012
  • Megapocalypse 25 Sep 2012 14:52:08 5,320 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Two officers and members of the public as well. Hogan-Howe does not represent 'the police' in this and hopefully the Federation will continue to demand the truth.
  • whatfruit 25 Sep 2012 14:54:30 1,287 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Andrew Mitchell affair is such a non story it boils down to a toff nosed bellend calling a couple of jobsworths "plebs".

That is the summation of the story, it has only got so many colunm inches because on the day it happened Cameron was giving a speech up in manchester declaring he was going to support the police "no matter what" after the two PCs got shot.

I saw no one calling for Ed Balls to be sacked when he used the death of a child to instigate a witch hunt against an under resourced social services department in order to furthur his own political carrer.
  • whatfruit 25 Sep 2012 14:54:35 1,287 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Andrew Mitchell affair is such a non story it boils down to a toff nosed bellend calling a couple of jobsworths "plebs".

That is the summation of the story, it has only got so many colunm inches because on the day it happened Cameron was giving a speech up in manchester declaring he was going to support the police "no matter what" after the two PCs got shot.

I saw no one calling for Ed Balls to be sacked when he used the death of a child to instigate a witch hunt against an under resourced social services department in order to furthur his own political carrer.
  • jamievilla 25 Sep 2012 15:56:23 506 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    To be fair it would have been a non story if he hadn't (or seemingly so) lied twice about what happened. If he'd just apologised for swearing and calling the guy a pleb then it would have blown over by now.

The problem now its the word of the Police against him - him saying he didn't use the word plebs or swearing (although he appears to have admitted that now) and the Police, and this leaked log saying otherwise.

I don't see the correlation between this and Baby P though (if that's what you are referring to), that just seems to be a false argument to try and deflect from this one.

He's made it worse on himself. Apologise, be truthful and move on. Simple.
  • Chopsen 25 Sep 2012 16:17:16 15,724 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think the point being made is that something irrelevant yet tabloidy as some posh tory bloke calling people plebs get so much attention while a genuine amoral exploitation of power gets glossed over reflects badly on the media and how it reports politics, not that the two stories had anything in common.

Edited by Chopsen at 16:17:50 25-09-2012
  • whatfruit 25 Sep 2012 16:23:38 1,287 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    jamievilla wrote:
    To be fair it would have been a non story if he hadn't (or seemingly so) lied twice about what happened. If he'd just apologised for swearing and calling the guy a pleb then it would have blown over by now.

The problem now its the word of the Police against him - him saying he didn't use the word plebs or swearing (although he appears to have admitted that now) and the Police, and this leaked log saying otherwise.

I don't see the correlation between this and Baby P though (if that's what you are referring to), that just seems to be a false argument to try and deflect from this one.

He's made it worse on himself. Apologise, be truthful and move on. Simple.
    I was just highlighting the Baby P case to show that the press reaction to Mithchell is dispropianate in that it has cast him as some abhorrent monster who should be placed in the stocks and be flogged for commiting the crime of insulting a police officer. I find what Balls did with Baby P far more sicking that if Mitchell had used the John Terry defence.

I agree that in a sane and rational world he would simply apologise and a line would be drawn under it. The problem is that if he admitted that he was in the wrong then labour would jump on it and say that Cameron was "proteting him" and should be sacked, while folding it into the wider narrative of tories not caring about "brave" public sector workers.

Mitchell is sticking to the first rule of surviving a media political shit storm "never apologise, never explain"
  • Page

of 190 First / Last