Sleeping Dogs Page 34

• Page

of 41 First / Last

• 1Dgaf 7 Sep 2012 14:07:06 3,977 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes, it does when you replay them too. I like the fact I can replay stuff, it's like NG+. It's just very slow to level. Use your phone and go to Social Hub; you can find the list of missions to do again there.

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

www.isawthatyearsago.com - a retro film podcast

• dogbot 7 Sep 2012 14:09:11 2,278 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sorry, that post was about the previous one, not yours.
  • mikeck 7 Sep 2012 14:23:07 1,936 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @dogbot Hmmm, maybe I missed it then. I definitely noticed it for all the others, but didn't see an explicit message for that. Not the end of the world anyway...I mean it would have saved me two hours of my life spent scrounging round for the few collectibles I missed, but that's not a big deal :p
  • dogbot 7 Sep 2012 15:58:07 2,278 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    :D

Tbh, I probably notice this more because my housemate is the greatest ignorer of onscreen instructions in the world. Usually to be complemented later by shouts of "why is this not working!!!" ;)
  • theguy 7 Sep 2012 16:13:25 690 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    There is a known glitch to get a somewhat "new game plus". To get your triad score up, you should replay those missions which you got a low triad score in and improve it whilst wearing the 15% Triad outfit
  • mikeck 9 Sep 2012 21:05:03 1,936 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finished the story earlier today (which was really solid throughout) and have just spent an hour mopping up trophies...just got to do the damn 'gambler' medal stat and then the Platinum is mine.

Great game, a LOT of fun.
  • 1Dgaf 9 Sep 2012 22:01:36 3,977 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finished the story earlier. I spent 39:47 hours playing. I have a few jobs left - I think those are the missions that pop up as you're driving about - but I've done all the events, lockboxes, cameras and cases etc. I don't have all the clothes, cars and perhaps not all the furniture.

I liked it. Held my attention for almost 40 hours and it could have held it for longer. However I do think that the levelling of the XP was a bit off and perhaps the money, too; I hadn't quite unlocked all the Triad things, despite replaying several missions.

I can see lots of room for enhancement, not necessarily improvement.

Edited by 1Dgaf at 22:05:57 09-09-2012

• Whizzo 10 Sep 2012 13:05:44 43,370 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sleeping Dogs modder does what Codemasters can't do for GRID 2.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Whizzo 10 Sep 2012 13:06:45 43,370 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It needs a bit more work I think, as does this bloke's driving! :-)

Edited by Whizzo at 13:06:52 10-09-2012

• Ultrasoundwave 10 Sep 2012 13:10:42 3,417 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    I genuinley think this has raised the bar for open world games. I'm not too far in (after the attack on the hospital) but I'm enjoying it far more than GTA IV or SR3. They've done a great job on this.
    This has definitely set the bar for GTA V in a few areas : The unarmed combat, the gunplay and the graphics are all vastly superior to other 'sandbox' games on the market at the moment.

Bare in mind that United Front made this under the strict hand of Activision too - if a sequel is greenlit and made with Square Enix from the start, Sleeping Dogs 2 could be something really special.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Zomoniac 10 Sep 2012 15:27:49 7,997 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I preferred the gunplay in GTA IV. In Sleeping Dogs you hold a trigger to aim, and shoot. GTA had the half-trigger to free-aim, full-trigger to lock, then move around within the lock zone, and flick the right stick to switch the locked targets. Been playing TBoGT alongside Sleeping Dogs and it's much better and more flexible. It's just missing the slo-mo jump out of cover thing, which I don't really think would fit.
  • bad09 10 Sep 2012 17:51:33 6,256 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh ignore that link I somehow missed Whizzo's post while scanning down the posts.

Anyway I'll still the link on official forums for info

http://forums.sleepingdogs.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2188

Edited by bad09 at 17:54:25 10-09-2012
  • Whizzo 10 Sep 2012 17:54:49 43,370 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ah you did see it in the end! :-P

Edited by Whizzo at 17:55:08 10-09-2012

• bad09 10 Sep 2012 17:57:25 6,256 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah I did scan down but somehow missed the BIG SCREEN :confused:

Lovely (if a bit rough for now) mod though, plan on getting to this eventually as I liked the demo but a 1st person camera always raises the bar on these games so it might go up the list :)
  • captainrentboy 10 Sep 2012 19:17:15 1,107 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Finished it earlier today, along with Saints Row 3 it's the only open world game I've bothered to stick with until the end.
    Brilliant game, can't wait for the follow up.
    Hopefully GTA's combat can match or better it.
  • FatsoJetson 11 Sep 2012 00:18:39 309 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finished the game tonight. Loved it.

Have put my 360 copy up for swapsies in the September Swapsies thread. I'm after a copy of Darksiders 2 (360 or PS3) in exchange.
  • HarryPalmer 11 Sep 2012 10:55:36 3,585 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yep. I love the combat in sleeping dogs, but it wouldn't fit in a GTA game. Neither would the stupid hi-jacking or the poor car physics.
  • captainrentboy 11 Sep 2012 11:23:12 1,107 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I didn't expect the GTA 5 guy to be doing super deluxe roundhouse kicks or anything. I just hope the main character will have animation that looks less like a pissed up Gorilla getting into a scrap, and that they'd possibly chuck in a decent counter system too.
    Oh and I also much preferred Sleeping Dogs' controls for shooting from inside a vehicle.

Edited by captainrentboy at 11:25:31 11-09-2012
  • HarryPalmer 11 Sep 2012 11:26:13 3,585 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    True, a more visceral, simpler version would be good.
  • OllyJ 11 Sep 2012 13:03:50 3,303 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    Sleeping Dogs modder does what Codemasters can't do for GRID 2.

Oh wow, my mind is blown.
  • OllyJ 11 Sep 2012 13:05:19 3,303 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    anthonypappa wrote:
    yawn. GTA won't have combat.

you're a middle aged american man looking to retire.... not an undercover kung-fu expert.

different games!
    No but just replace kung fu with brute force boxing and grappling and de niro head stomping and you can have most of the same mechanics.
  • Deleted user 11 September 2012 13:12:07
    The combat in GTA doesn't seem to react when contact is made though. It's quite fuzzy and the logic and hit detection isn't nearly as good; just, play this animation, play that animation.

I do agree though, it would be daft to put a proper fully fledged fighting engine into GTA; but better animation wouldn't go amiss.

I do think that Sleeping Dogs feels more constrained than GTA though; in GTA it feels like you're given a rough objective, and then given free reign on how to achieve it.

With Sleeping Dogs it feels like there's usually one right way to complete a mission..
  • 1Dgaf 11 Sep 2012 14:42:50 3,977 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SPOILER - UNLOCKABLE OUTFIT SPOILER - UNLOCKABLE OUTFIT SPOILER - UNLOC

I'm doing some videos of the special outfits you can unlock. Here's the first one. I can't spoiler it.

Edited by 1Dgaf at 14:43:53 11-09-2012

• Ziz0u 11 Sep 2012 14:55:03 8,648 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My goodness, it's cOLD in here...

sorry
  • Ultrasoundwave 13 Sep 2012 11:17:08 3,417 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    anthonypappa wrote:
    wonder if they made enough to warrant a sequel... i know it was number one, but hardly had competition.
    Im very curious about the specifics of how Square Enix acquired this game:

What i know is that Activision actually put a very decent budget into this game, a lot more than what they originally intended apparently. The game was finished and United Front were very happy with the finished product - It was due to be released as 'True Crime : Hong Kong', but then Activision decided to "drop it" because it "wasnt good enough".

Square Enix then arrange a deal with United Front to pick the game up, they drop the 'True Crime' IP and re-name it Sleeping Dogs before they release it.

What i dont know, is :

- Did Square Enix have to pay Activision anything for it?

and

- Did the game require any more development under Square Enix?

The bottom line is, if Square Enix only had to re-brand the IP and do a bit of marketing, they've probably made fuck-load of cash on this.....

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Page

of 41 First / Last