Sleeping Dogs

  • Page

    of 41 First / Last

    Previous
  • Syrette 23 Jan 2011 23:53:42 43,858 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There's an interview with the lead producer on Inside Xbox on the 360 dashboard at the moment. He emphasised the melee combat focus of the action and it actually looks really good. Using the environment as a weapon is a big thing it seems.

    Also trying to make it really immersive, and as true to Hong Kong as possible. For example, NPCs speaking Cantonese with no subtitles and stuff like that.

    Should be out by Summer on PC/360/PS3. Developed by United Front Games who did ModNation Racers on the PS3. Based on the little I've seen I don't expect it to win any game of the year awards but it looks like a lot of fun.

  • DUFFMAN5 24 Jan 2011 00:16:34 15,050 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Looking forward to this as well. I really enjoyed the first games on Xbox, many moons ago now but I remember them being lots of fun with good voice casts to boot.

    "Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

  • ecu 24 Jan 2011 00:23:35 77,098 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Looking forward to this as well. I really enjoyed the first games on Xbox, many moons ago now but I remember them being lots of fun with good voice casts to boot.

    I thought Streets of LA was fairly poor. It was like a soulless GTA, and it also showed why Rockstar don't copy real cities road for road, because it had an accurate recreation of the real LA, and it's comfortably the most repetitive and boring sandbox world I've seen. Roads and roads of the same old shit, just like, well.. real life. It wasn't a terrible game, it just wasn't really that good either. Heard the New York game was slightly better, but I didn't like the original enough to want to play the sequel.
  • Deleted user 24 January 2011 01:02:32
    Wasn't aware of this, I love Hong Kong so will be keeping an eye on it.
  • Syrette 24 Jan 2011 01:15:19 43,858 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You'll be glad to hear that it's a different developer this time round then ecureuil, Activision closed down the original True Crime dev team.

  • ecu 24 Jan 2011 01:18:43 77,098 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Strange that they're resurrecting the franchise, then. You wouldn't think the True Crime name carried much weight.
  • Syrette 24 Jan 2011 01:21:00 43,858 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Indeed, given we're dealing with Activision here. From what I recall New York wasn't a success when it came to sales.

    I think there was meant to be a True Crime 3 long before this but Activision did kill that one off.

  • ElNuevo9 24 Jan 2011 01:31:52 13,493 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    True Crime: NY was actually all right.

    Won't pick this up though, unless it reviews really well.

    Hated, adored, never ignored.

  • SomaticSense 24 Jan 2011 12:14:13 8,773 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    foreverafternothing wrote:
    There's an interview with the lead producer on Inside Xbox on the 360 dashboard at the moment. He emphasised the melee combat focus of the action and it actually looks really good. Using the environment as a weapon is a big thing it seems.

    Also trying to make it really immersive, and as true to Hong Kong as possible. For example, NPCs speaking Cantonese with no subtitles and stuff like that.

    Should be out by Summer on PC/360/PS3. Developed by United Front Games who did ModNation Racers on the PS3. Based on the little I've seen I don't expect it to win any game of the year awards but it looks like a lot of fun.


    "Looks like fun"

    Did you actually see the vid? It looks absolutely terrible in it's current state, and ropey as hell.

    In fact, as ropey as hell would be if Satan suddenly developed a fetish for hanging people instead of his usual torture methods.
  • Blerk Moderator 24 Jan 2011 12:16:55 48,225 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'd forgotten about this completely. I think I just surmised it'd been cancelled.
  • Syrette 24 Jan 2011 12:24:34 43,858 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    foreverafternothing wrote:
    There's an interview with the lead producer on Inside Xbox on the 360 dashboard at the moment. He emphasised the melee combat focus of the action and it actually looks really good. Using the environment as a weapon is a big thing it seems.

    Also trying to make it really immersive, and as true to Hong Kong as possible. For example, NPCs speaking Cantonese with no subtitles and stuff like that.

    Should be out by Summer on PC/360/PS3. Developed by United Front Games who did ModNation Racers on the PS3. Based on the little I've seen I don't expect it to win any game of the year awards but it looks like a lot of fun.


    "Looks like fun"

    Did you actually see the vid? It looks absolutely terrible in it's current state, and ropey as hell.

    In fact, as ropey as hell would be if Satan suddenly developed a fetish for hanging people instead of his usual torture methods.

    Sorry for having my own opinion on a game that isn't out for months, an opinion primarily based on a compressed video that in my view isn't half as bad as you're making out.

  • Machetazo 24 Jan 2011 12:30:33 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Strange that they're resurrecting the franchise, then. You wouldn't think the True Crime name carried much weight.
    Does it need to? I expect the aim is not to pick up where they left off, in any way. True Crime's just a catchy name, today - but if they can release a decent game under it, they've basically got a new franchise at their disposal to build on.
  • SomaticSense 24 Jan 2011 12:36:30 8,773 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    foreverafternothing wrote:
    SomaticSense wrote:"Looks like fun"

    Did you actually see the vid? It looks absolutely terrible in it's current state, and ropey as hell.

    In fact, as ropey as hell would be if Satan suddenly developed a fetish for hanging people instead of his usual torture methods.

    Sorry for having my own opinion on a game that isn't out for months, an opinion primarily based on a compressed video that in my view isn't half as bad as you're making out.

    Sorry if I couldn't help but notice the terrible collision detection, bad animations, dodgy looking combat, horrible looking handling when it comes to the driving. All fairly obvious in that vid.

    All I've heard in the build up is how much better the game will be than the rough arsed previous entries, and how it's a "reboot" of the franchise. Sorry, but it looks the same old True Crime to me...

    I know I don't qualify for expressing such a negative opinion on the game until I've bought it on release day for 39.99 and played it for 100 hours, but having such a positive opinion on it so early is equally absurd. In fact, arguably even more so seeing as the series has a poor reputation and the devs haven't exactly set the world alight thus far either. All we have to go on is what has been shown, which looks poor tbh, especially when you bear in mind the intense competition they are facing.
  • Whizzo 24 Jan 2011 12:37:32 43,224 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I quite enjoyed the first two games, I found LA a lot nicer to drive around than NYC due to it not having shit loads of one ways streets that really slowed you down when trying to chase someone down, the civvie traffic was a pain when you're driving the wrong way.

    LA had some nice ideas like the targeting when shooting from your car and the mission failure not equalling game over but taking you on a different path. Obviously if you kept fucking up don't expect things to turn out very well.

    It was also fucking insane, how many cops end up having to fight a frigging dragon in China Town? Not too many I should imagine.

    NYC felt like a buggy rush job though, shame really as it did a decent job of recreating the city.

    This space left intentionally blank.

  • L_Franko Moderator 24 Jan 2011 12:38:45 9,694 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    foreverafternothing wrote:
    SomaticSense wrote:
    foreverafternothing wrote:
    There's an interview with the lead producer on Inside Xbox on the 360 dashboard at the moment. He emphasised the melee combat focus of the action and it actually looks really good. Using the environment as a weapon is a big thing it seems.

    Also trying to make it really immersive, and as true to Hong Kong as possible. For example, NPCs speaking Cantonese with no subtitles and stuff like that.

    Should be out by Summer on PC/360/PS3. Developed by United Front Games who did ModNation Racers on the PS3. Based on the little I've seen I don't expect it to win any game of the year awards but it looks like a lot of fun.


    "Looks like fun"

    Did you actually see the vid? It looks absolutely terrible in it's current state, and ropey as hell.

    In fact, as ropey as hell would be if Satan suddenly developed a fetish for hanging people instead of his usual torture methods.

    Sorry for having my own opinion on a game that isn't out for months, an opinion primarily based on a compressed video that in my view isn't half as bad as you're making out.

    Agreed, the vid got me quite looking forward to this. Might need a little touch up before being released but the game play I saw it looked like great fun.
    Really looking forward to the melee system with the counter attacks and environmental weapons and hearing the gun play is there not toned down from other sandbox games it could mean that fire fights are more interesting.

    Looking forward to hearing more about this.
  • Syrette 24 Jan 2011 12:44:19 43,858 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    foreverafternothing wrote:
    SomaticSense wrote:"Looks like fun"

    Did you actually see the vid? It looks absolutely terrible in it's current state, and ropey as hell.

    In fact, as ropey as hell would be if Satan suddenly developed a fetish for hanging people instead of his usual torture methods.

    Sorry for having my own opinion on a game that isn't out for months, an opinion primarily based on a compressed video that in my view isn't half as bad as you're making out.

    Sorry if I couldn't help but notice the terrible collision detection, bad animations, dodgy looking combat, horrible looking handling when it comes to the driving. All fairly obvious in that vid.

    All I've heard in the build up is how much better the game will be than the rough arsed previous entries, and how it's a "reboot" of the franchise. Sorry, but it looks the same old True Crime to me...

    I know I don't qualify for expressing such a negative opinion on the game until I've bought it on release day for 39.99 and played it for 100 hours, but having such a positive opinion on it so early is equally absurd. In fact, arguably even more so seeing as the series has a poor reputation and the devs haven't exactly set the world alight thus far either. All we have to go on is what has been shown, which looks poor tbh, especially when you bear in mind the intense competition they are facing.

    It's just my opinion.

    I even said at the end of my OP that "I don't expect it to win any game of the year awards".

    Games like The Saboteur and others have similar flaws to the ones you've pointed out and still remain fun.

    I'm pretty sure the vids they used in that interview were from an old build anyway, which might have something to do with them being taken from Gamespot. Even if it's not an old build, there's still time to eradicate those flaws. It doesn't have a fixed release date.

  • Rauha 9 Feb 2011 20:32:30 4,271 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    :/ Activision just cancelled this game o.o (according to front page news article).
  • ecu 9 Feb 2011 21:12:27 77,098 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Seems like a strange decision, the game can't have been far off completion. Although it looks a bit crap, it's sad for the guys that worked so hard on it.
  • Machetazo 9 Feb 2011 21:33:29 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    United Front Games previously worked on Mod Nation Racers, so from that I reckon they'd have a good chance of delivering at least, a good game (expectation tempered by not much media being about, to know what they were going for on this) with TC.
    I checked their twitter, and it's not been added to since MNR, there's no mention of True Crime there. I simply hope they're going to be all right and will bounce back.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 9 Feb 2011 21:39:59 38,895 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Only the devs actually give a fuck about this news.

    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

  • Freek 9 Feb 2011 21:42:11 7,687 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DDevil wrote:
    Only the devs actually give a fuck about this news.

    Harsh, but true. True Crime had zero buzz around it.
  • Blerk Moderator 10 Feb 2011 09:07:33 48,225 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    I'd forgotten about this completely. I think I just surmised it'd been cancelled.
    Teh premonitions! :-D

    /mystic meg
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 10 Feb 2011 09:29:51 10,861 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Euromillions numbers for tomorrow...? ;o)
  • Blerk Moderator 10 Feb 2011 09:36:03 48,225 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's got to be worth a shot! :-D

    Am I right in thinking that True Crime: Hong Kong wasn't always a True Crime game? i.e. it was something else and then later got rebranded into True Crime?

    I wonder if there's an opportunity for the team to remove that branding again and pimp it to another publisher?
  • Syrette 9 Feb 2012 00:56:10 43,858 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh hello.



    And a Jaffa Cake to Blerk for his prediction.

  • Syrette 15 Mar 2012 18:10:52 43,858 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago


    Sounding good.

  • Syrette 19 Mar 2012 19:11:30 43,858 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    EG sent Minkley to Hong Kong to have a look at the game (lucky guy).

    http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/the-egtv-show-sleeping-dogs-special

  • RedSparrows 19 Mar 2012 19:17:43 23,430 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sleepingdog make nice music.
  • Syrette 30 Mar 2012 01:47:13 43,858 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Do want.

  • Scimarad 30 Mar 2012 07:55:32 8,573 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Still amazes me that no one has done a proper cyber-punk one of these. The most futuristic sandbox GTA clone I can think of is Crackdown and that was more urban warfare than anything.

    This looks pretty interesting, though. One of the things I like is that you aren't just playing a criminal as you normally do in these things.
  • Page

    of 41 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply