New B&W Zeppelin Air Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • Hermiod 26 Jan 2011 07:55:23 3,702 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It would have to be Apple Lossless if you want to use AirPlay.

If you really want to go with an amp, bear in mind B&W aren't the only people releasing products with AirPlay support. Denon and Marantz are building support in to their amps.
  • Deleted user 2 February 2011 23:34:44
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    Rip all music to flac or apple lossless, buy airport express, connect to decent amp, use iPhone remote app.

You have convenience which although doesn't sound amazing isn't as bad as a shitty dock and you can still play CDs when you want.

how does airport express work and what amps are compatible? i might look into this.

although, the youtube video from b&w suggests each drive unit has its own amp. and it performs its own dac now and produces a far better sound.

i think that would probably be comparable to anything other systems can do when receiving a digital music file. the difference is obviously going to be in the output.
  • Deleted user 15 February 2011 21:59:20
    okay, i've found a few solutions to going without cd but not losing the quality.

the meridian sooloos control 15, olive 4hd and this:

http://www.naimaudio.com/hifi-product-range/566

or, if i can find a suitable ripping/storage device that's easy to use to pair with this:

http://www.naimaudio.com/hifi-product-range/579

both seem ideal. the ultimate combines all the features but costs the same as the more attractive meridian.
  • Deleted user 15 February 2011 22:13:04
    thanks. i think to begin with i'll get a good network player like the linn or naim, something with its own pre/power amp and dac.

i suppose to begin with i can use my laptop as a nas - this is the impression i am getting from reading up on this stuff.

eventually though i will want to use a separate nas or even one that rips as well.

do you know much about this ecosse? i suppose the ripping software and drive you use are important. the naim unitiserve suggests some 'magical algorithms' that result in superior ripping. but it's 2k for something with no interface.
  • Deleted user 16 February 2011 23:38:33
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    byakuya83 wrote:
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    Rip all music to flac or apple lossless, buy airport express, connect to decent amp, use iPhone remote app.

You have convenience which although doesn't sound amazing isn't as bad as a shitty dock and you can still play CDs when you want.

how does airport express work and what amps are compatible? i might look into this.

although, the youtube video from b&w suggests each drive unit has its own amp. and it performs its own dac now and produces a far better sound.

i think that would probably be comparable to anything other systems can do when receiving a digital music file. the difference is obviously going to be in the output.

Any amp is compatible, better with one that has a DAC though as the DAC in the AE is gash.
    The single speaker array will never compare with a pair of decent 150 quid speakers well positioned for a start.

This actually sounds like the best solution for me. I will rip CDs in iTunes because I'm familiar with the software and find it easy to use, then connect an Airport Express to my amp.

The amp I currently have:

http://www.cyrusaudio.com/product-archive/amps/8-integrated-amplifier

Can the Airport Express connect to that?

If not can you recommend a decent inegrated amp with DAC?
  • honeymonster 18 Jul 2012 12:00:30 3 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I am using a Denon CEOL RCD-N7 as a DAC amp in my system, has plenty of power and good output power for my medium sized room.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next