Learning to Drive Page 4

  • Page

    of 18 First / Last

  • PhoenixFlames 10 Jan 2012 14:26:53 8,996 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    You have more control over a manual car, for starters.
    To do what exactly?

    PSN - phoenix1flames

  • Khanivor 10 Jan 2012 14:27:44 40,728 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    Terrible comparison.
    True, people don't usually have to make 40-50 calls during a 30 minute commute.
  • Khanivor 10 Jan 2012 14:28:18 40,728 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Lukus wrote:
    You have more control over a manual car, for starters.
    To do what exactly?
    Accelerate quickly.
  • henro_ben 10 Jan 2012 14:29:10 2,216 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've never really understood why someone would learn using an automatic, rather than manual, it just seems a bit limiting.

    If you learn on a manual car you'll be licenced to drive either in the future, regardless of which you choose to drive on a daily basis.
  • mrpon 10 Jan 2012 14:29:11 28,893 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, change gear on the red line.

    Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

  • PhoenixFlames 10 Jan 2012 14:30:34 8,996 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Lukus wrote:
    You have more control over a manual car, for starters.
    To do what exactly?
    Accelerate quickly.
    Nonsense. Slightly quicker maybe if you're good at gear changes but who cares? You're not on a race track and you can't go more than 70mph.

    PSN - phoenix1flames

  • PhoenixFlames 10 Jan 2012 14:30:59 8,996 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    henro_ben wrote:
    I've never really understood why someone would learn using an automatic, rather than manual, it just seems a bit limiting.

    If you learn on a manual car you'll be licenced to drive either in the future, regardless of which you choose to drive on a daily basis.
    Because I can't do it?

    PSN - phoenix1flames

  • THFourteen 10 Jan 2012 14:31:06 33,392 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Tuffty wrote:
    I booked my practical test in 2 weeks time. I feel like I can do it ok, just certain manoeuvres like reversing into a parking bay aren't exactly nailed down when I want them to be. The independent driving was easier than I expected it to be as well. Really, it's a case of getting over my own apprehension if I want to pass it.
    Same with me, the instructor says I'm fine but my nerves/lack of confidence get the better of me.
    IIRC if you reverse park into a parking bay taking 50 goes, its still technically a pass on the exercise, so just keep going forwards and backwards as much as you want

    or at least until the instructor falls asleep.
  • PhoenixFlames 10 Jan 2012 14:32:48 8,996 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Tuffty wrote:
    I booked my practical test in 2 weeks time. I feel like I can do it ok, just certain manoeuvres like reversing into a parking bay aren't exactly nailed down when I want them to be. The independent driving was easier than I expected it to be as well. Really, it's a case of getting over my own apprehension if I want to pass it.
    Same with me, the instructor says I'm fine but my nerves/lack of confidence get the better of me.
    IIRC if you reverse park into a parking bay taking 50 goes, its still technically a pass on the exercise, so just keep going forwards and backwards as much as you want

    or at least until the instructor falls asleep.
    Yes, I vaguely remember that from my lessons a couple of years back. You're not marked until you stop and apply the handbrake I think.

    PSN - phoenix1flames

  • dogbot 10 Jan 2012 14:33:25 2,273 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    henro_ben wrote:
    I've never really understood why someone would learn using an automatic, rather than manual, it just seems a bit limiting.

    If you learn on a manual car you'll be licenced to drive either in the future, regardless of which you choose to drive on a daily basis.
    I'm not recommending learning on one, sorry.

    Just driving one.

    Lazy man's option.

    If I'm worried about acceleration, I'll take the R1. :)
  • Dougs 10 Jan 2012 14:34:42 67,627 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Lukus wrote:
    You have more control over a manual car, for starters.
    To do what exactly?
    Slow down and stop, primarily.
  • mrpon 10 Jan 2012 14:34:56 28,893 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You've got all limbs Phoenix?! I apologise if not!

    Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

  • PhoenixFlames 10 Jan 2012 14:36:07 8,996 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Lukus wrote:
    You have more control over a manual car, for starters.
    To do what exactly?
    Slow down and stop, primarily.
    They have a break pedals on automatic cars and even gear 1/2 options when going down steep hills.

    PSN - phoenix1flames

  • Fake_Blood 10 Jan 2012 14:37:27 4,204 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Keep in mind that, if you ever get a job with a company car, it won't be an automatic.
  • PhoenixFlames 10 Jan 2012 14:38:04 8,996 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    You've got all limbs Phoenix?! I apologise if not!
    Yep, just not the coordination to do everything at the same time in order to pass the test or feel confident in any way.

    It's not instinctively human you know? Plenty of people can't do it.

    PSN - phoenix1flames

  • Lukus 10 Jan 2012 14:38:27 19,088 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Khanivor wrote:
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Lukus wrote:
    You have more control over a manual car, for starters.
    To do what exactly?
    Accelerate quickly.
    Nonsense. Slightly quicker maybe if you're good at gear changes but who cares? You're not on a race track and you can't go more than 70mph.
    Ok, icy conditions for example. You might want to stay in a higher gear than normal. I'm sorry that you're rubbish at driving. There's no need to be a little bitch about it though.

    Paintings & Photographs

  • mrpon 10 Jan 2012 14:39:00 28,893 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh shit I never realised, you're Jeremy Beadles son aren't you?

    Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

  • PhoenixFlames 10 Jan 2012 14:41:17 8,996 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Khanivor wrote:
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Lukus wrote:
    You have more control over a manual car, for starters.
    To do what exactly?
    Accelerate quickly.
    Nonsense. Slightly quicker maybe if you're good at gear changes but who cares? You're not on a race track and you can't go more than 70mph.
    Ok, icy conditions for example. You might want to stay in a higher gear than normal. I'm sorry that you're rubbish at driving. There's no need to be a little bitch about it though.
    No need to be a little bitch about me choosing automatic.

    **MODS** - where is that ignore button? I need to use it in this thread.

    PSN - phoenix1flames

  • shamblemonkee 10 Jan 2012 14:41:59 14,369 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    mrpon wrote:
    You've got all limbs Phoenix?! I apologise if not!
    Yep, just not the coordination to do everything at the same time in order to pass the test or feel confident in any way.

    It's not instinctively human you know? Plenty of people can't do it.
    it's just a matter of practice. in time it becomes so over learned you won't even think about how to drive.

    automatic isn't awful and is of course perfectly suitable if you just want to get from a to b and have no interest in cars or enjoyment from driving.
  • PhoenixFlames 10 Jan 2012 14:43:36 8,996 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    mrpon wrote:
    You've got all limbs Phoenix?! I apologise if not!
    Yep, just not the coordination to do everything at the same time in order to pass the test or feel confident in any way.

    It's not instinctively human you know? Plenty of people can't do it.
    it's just a matter of practice. in time it becomes so over learned you won't even think about how to drive.

    automatic isn't awful and is of course perfectly suitable if you just want to get from a to b and have no interest in cars or enjoyment from driving.
    I think I will enjoy driving just fine after spending 15 years travelling on public transport. Also, trust me, I can not do manual. 40 lessons proved that.

    PSN - phoenix1flames

  • Lukus 10 Jan 2012 14:43:53 19,088 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Lukus wrote:
    Terrible comparison.
    True, people don't usually have to make 40-50 calls during a 30 minute commute.
    Changing gear is of no consequence, it doesn't take time to do, it's not hard to do, unless you're a fucking idiot, it's completely intuitive and it doesn't require great feats of memory or organisation. Plus it has its own benefits. Not only that, it is kind of fun.

    Unlike manually entering in a phone number every single time.

    Paintings & Photographs

  • Lukus 10 Jan 2012 14:44:38 19,088 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Lukus wrote:
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Khanivor wrote:
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Lukus wrote:
    You have more control over a manual car, for starters.
    To do what exactly?
    Accelerate quickly.
    Nonsense. Slightly quicker maybe if you're good at gear changes but who cares? You're not on a race track and you can't go more than 70mph.
    Ok, icy conditions for example. You might want to stay in a higher gear than normal. I'm sorry that you're rubbish at driving. There's no need to be a little bitch about it though.
    No need to be a little bitch about me choosing automatic.

    **MODS** - where is that ignore button? I need to use it in this thread.
    Sensitive little soul aren't you.

    Paintings & Photographs

  • smoothpete 10 Jan 2012 14:44:42 31,502 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FWIW, I did an automatic test because I'm shit at driving.
  • Youthist 10 Jan 2012 14:46:08 10,018 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is there going to be an award for most pointless but fascinating rage-quit at the end of 2012? I think we have our winner already.

    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

  • PhoenixFlames 10 Jan 2012 14:46:21 8,996 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    FWIW, I did an automatic test because I'm shit at driving.
    Love you ;-)

    PSN - phoenix1flames

  • Khanivor 10 Jan 2012 14:46:30 40,728 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    Ok, icy conditions for example. You might want to stay in a higher gear than normal.
    Which you can do in an automatic.

    If you include overdrive an automatic has the same number of gear choices as a 5 speed.
  • Khanivor 10 Jan 2012 14:47:34 40,728 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    Changing gear is of no consequence, it doesn't take time to do, it's not hard to do, unless you're a fucking idiot, it's completely intuitive and it doesn't require great feats of memory or organisation. Plus it has its own benefits. Not only that, it is kind of fun.

    Unlike manually entering in a phone number every single time.
    Masterbating is kind of fun, until you find yourself doing it for the 30th time in one day ;)
  • Youthist 10 Jan 2012 14:48:02 10,018 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah - Stop, go , and er, overdrive, and thingy. And the other one.

    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

  • Mageme 10 Jan 2012 14:48:33 2,015 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I learnt on an automatic. And simply for the reasons shamblemonkee stated... not a motorhead at all, just need to get from A to B. Each to their own really.

    The missus can drive if ever a manual situation arises but even she's converted to automatic (and she's a speed/racing/road rage freak).

    3DS: 5086-1465-9252

  • mrpon 10 Jan 2012 14:48:41 28,893 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyway, we all choose automatic in the arcades! Who's with me guys?!

    Guys?

    /tumbleweed

    Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

  • Page

    of 18 First / Last

Log in or register to reply