Learning to Drive Page 17

• Page

of 18 First / Last

• Mr-Brett 7 Oct 2012 21:48:32 12,723 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wouldn't worry too much about making progress, any time in the car will help. It varies from person to person but it normally takes 30+ hours before you're ready to take the test and it doesn't really get any more enjoyable during that period, you just have to power through really.

Once you've taken the test, got a car and driven about for a couple of months then you might feel comfortable.

I'd recommend sticking with it because when I started learning I got to about 20 something hours and my instructor helpfully decided to stop being an instructor and I was too lazy to organise another one. I waited two years before starting again and ended up having to take a load more lessons than I probably would have needed if I'd just carried on.
    So my point is if you give up and decide later to carry on, it could well cost you a lot more time and money.

Portable view - Never forget.

• nickthegun 7 Oct 2012 21:50:05 58,782 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I started, many moons ago, with hour lessons and found them too short. 2 seemed perfect but, yeah, even after 15 years I would get fucked off with driving for six hours, let alone being a frustrated learner.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• elstoof 7 Oct 2012 21:53:25 6,602 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can't play guitar, and fuck me would I hate to have to pick one up and force myself to learn it for 6 hours straight, just like that. Even if I paid Jimmy Page to sit next to me making chord claws.
  • munki83 7 Oct 2012 22:36:53 1,397 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks for the replies. Will see out the remainder of my time but if it doesn't improve or I dont feel comfortable at 30 hours it will probably be next year if I try it again. Having limited funds suck. Tomorrow will involve night driving and I'll freely admit that I'm bricking it
  • Deleted user 7 October 2012 22:46:22
    Just go as slow as you want to and fuck anyone else behind you. 6 hours a day of driving is a huge amount of time to be doing it, even if you were already good that's a long time to concentrate on what you're doing. Are you driving nearly all that time or does he put in regular breaks where you go over theory etc.?

It probably took me another 20 hours on my own in the car after my test before I got close to comfortable, now it's as normal as walking. The longest I've ever driven without a break was 4 hours and that wasn't fun.

Edited by Aargh. at 22:49:54 07-10-2012
  • Deleted user 7 October 2012 22:46:59
    Facepalm wrote:
    I'm really tempted to go on one of these 5 day courses and pass. Can't be fucked with dragging out learning to drive.
    Drink driving is still not allowed.
  • munki83 7 Oct 2012 22:56:51 1,397 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's pretty much constant with a 30 min break. We stop every now and then if I fuck up too much. I'll then step out the car for 5 minutes or so. I regret doing it this way. The next 4 lessons are 4 hours each. If I keep feeling like this though I may tell the instructor to fuck off
  • munki83 10 Oct 2012 11:22:08 1,397 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thought I'd give everyone here a quick update. The sessions are now down to 4 hours and are going better After takling to my instructor on Monday about how I think I was unable to do it things have gone better. I'm still making fuckups but I'm not feeling sick at the thought of driving. However yesterday after fucking up while giving way I kinda spat teh dummy out the pram and declared I cant do this but manged to calm down a bit and the rest of the session went quite well. Started doing reversing and 3 point turns. Hated reversing but three point turns didn't go too badly. Also drove down some country roads at night at national speed limit. Almost killed a deer but managed to stay in control of the car and not kill anything
  • DaM 10 Oct 2012 13:00:13 12,897 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm sure it's been pointed out in this thread, you don't really learn till you've passed :) First time I went out on my own, I had a police car behind me for ages, I was bricking it.

Your sessions are long, not surprised you are finding it hard going. Not many people often get in a car and drive for that long.
  • nickthegun 10 Oct 2012 13:11:42 58,782 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You never get used to that. Even now if I have a police car behind me, I feel like ive just robbed a bank.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• munki83 10 Oct 2012 13:24:30 1,397 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @nickthegun Well what do you expect with a name like nickthegun :p
  • munki83 21 Oct 2012 17:53:19 1,397 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've did my 30 hours that I've bought and hate driving still so I'm giving up learning for now
  • elstoof 21 Oct 2012 17:59:12 6,602 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's a shame, I'd just get it out the way now you've got this far. What did the instructor say about going forward from here?

I was at uni when I was learning to drive, the summer holiday came just when I was at a point of being a bit fed up with it all so I stopped lessons while I was back home for a month or two and spent the money on booze and girls instead. When I restarted them I felt pretty refreshed though, did a couple more weeks and blasted the test out with 4 minors.
  • elstoof 21 Oct 2012 17:59:44 6,602 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Faults, not children.
  • PhoenixFlames 21 Oct 2012 18:52:42 8,899 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'd encourage anyone to stick at it. The freedom a driving licence gives is awesome. Also, if you're finding it difficult then switch to automatic ;-)

PSN - phoenix1flames

• munki83 21 Oct 2012 20:28:33 1,397 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks for the encouragement but im done for now i just cant see me getting any better or even enjoying it. Also i cant really afford to get any more lessons at the moment :-(
  • elstoof 21 Oct 2012 20:36:05 6,602 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What did your instructor say about it all? Maybe take a break then get some shorter lessons with a decent instructor. I started with one guy at BSM who was a muppet, changed to another guy there who was excellent. A lot depends on the person teaching you.
  • Lukus 21 Oct 2012 20:40:03 18,996 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just get weekly lessons and you'll hate it a lot less. Intensive anything is guaranteed to turn you against it.

Paintings & Photographs

• monkehhh 21 Oct 2012 20:47:56 3,267 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You've done 30 hours, so you've got a decent amount of experience behind you. It'd be a shame to have that and not build on it, even just a couple of hours a week. I'm pretty sure some of the people I know who can drive can't actually spell their own name, so you're well on the way :)
  • guts 21 Oct 2012 21:38:57 1,690 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've been driving for years and quite enjoy it. I'm not a terrible driver but I do a lot of the stuff my instructor used to tell me off for like driving with my hand on the gear stick, steering with one hand and several other things. I recently got clocked speeding but was not massively over the limit and had the option of a speed awareness course. It was more expensive than the fine but I decided to go for it. You know what, it was really quite a good course. It lasted about four hours and there was quite a few other people there. I got to keep the pen we were issued for filling in a booklet/test type thing and also got a copy of the most recent highway code. I am going to read through it but I am dreading it as I didn't realise how much stuff I had forgotten or never really knew in the first place.
    :redface:

Whassamattayou, whyoulookasosad, itsanicaplace, itsanotsobad, heyshaddupayourface.

• Mr-Brett 21 Oct 2012 21:47:49 12,723 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    To echo what I said before and also what others have said, I don't think anyone enjoys it until after they've learnt. I guess if you don't *need* a car there's less incentive, personally I was going to uni 400 miles away so it was needed.

Portable view - Never forget.

• munki83 21 Oct 2012 21:56:59 1,397 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    At the moment i dont need to drive. I can get to and from work on public transport easily. Im also trying to get a transfer to a office closer to home. I think i could end up needing another 20 or 30 hours of lessons and to me its not worth it :-( im such a defeatist lol
  • bbvDJC 3 Jan 2013 22:58:42 1,684 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm finally going to take the plunge this year and get a provisional and some lessons I think.

What's the best way to go about it? Block lessons? A few a week? Or maybe one or those intensive courses?

I don't mind spending money as long as its not excessive, I've heard I should go with solo instructors instead of schools as well, is this true?
  • boo 3 Jan 2013 23:21:31 11,703 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's nearly 30 years since I learnt to drive, so this may not be current thinking...
    I had a 1 hour lesson per week until my instructor thought I was ready. And yes, I used an independent rather than a driving school. Tony Cotton, you are the most calm and patient man I've ever met!

If you can get any extra practice in, then do. My Dad wasn't all that keen on my sister or I practicing in his car, so didn't get to do that much.

But as others have said - you start learning properly once you've passed and are driving regularly.

There's no rush - find an instructor you get on with, and take lessons at a rate you're comfortable with. Some people can cram it into a couple of weeks, others need time between lessons to let it sink in.

Good luck!

Just Another Lego Blog

• elstoof 3 Jan 2013 23:37:15 6,602 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I learned with BSM about 10 years ago and they were great. First guy was a plonker so I changed instructor and he was brilliant, had a good laugh for 2 hours a week over a few months. Passed first time so there must be some good in staying relaxed behind the wheel. I'd avoid a crash course, look above for munki's experience with that. Think I did about 20 odd hours in total, with no other practice in between as no one in my immediate family had a car.
  • localnotail 3 Jan 2013 23:37:24 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I recommend 2 hour lessons to really learn steadily and make progress. Once a week to start with, see how you get on.

Once you have the mechanics, additional practice with a friend / patient loved one is really useful if at all possible. You just need practical experience that can only come with actually driving. Pick a town an hour away and find your way there and back - then do another one the next weekend.

Edited by localnotail at 09:23:55 04-01-2013

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• MMMarmite 3 Jan 2013 23:47:07 993 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah as boo said, find a competent solo instructor, I had two lessons with BSM that were truly awful so stopped learning for a month or so. Somebody recommended a solo instructor who was great (must have been good as he doesn't advertise at all and it's his only job), passed first time even though I was bricking it :)

As I learnt out in the sticks I had to book 2 hour lessons once a week, usually involved a 30 minute drive to the nearest city, an hour going over manoeuvres and then the drive back.
  • bbvDJC 4 Jan 2013 06:02:03 1,684 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thanks guys, think I'm going to go for one hour a week for the first month and see how it goes and go up to two if I'm doing okay after that.

I'm usually a quick learner but I'm pretty apprehensive at the moment!
  • elstoof 4 Jan 2013 07:06:23 6,602 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd start with 2 hours, an hour will fly by.
  • Page

of 18 First / Last