Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't even understand what gears are or do \o/

/automatic licence hero

show me your tits u bitch from ubisoft

• Fake_Blood 13 Jan 2012 18:05:42 4,442 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Better get some jumpstart cables for that clio.
  • Deleted user 13 January 2012 18:18:19
    Phattso wrote:
    But even so - any sort of license is better than no license.
    Indeed.

• PhoenixFlames 13 Jan 2012 19:18:09 9,229 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    If this threads been useful for one thing it's weeding out the assholes. Ignore list now up to 15. Hopefully this will make for a better experience across all threads.
    If people that hold a contrary view to your own end up on your ignore list, you should avoid pretty much all threads on the forum. Before too long you're gonna be in a world of one, and there's nothing more embarrassing than trying to put yourself on ignore for posting some
    proper shite. And you really have.

/vying to be Number 16
    I haven't posted any shit in this thread at all. I'm not ignoring people who haven't a different viewpoint either, I'm ignoring arseholes who are taking the piss out of me for trying my best at something I find hard.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• LeoliansBro 13 Jan 2012 19:36:41 44,939 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Everyone found it hard to start with. So that makes you a quitter.

Unless you tried for ages before dropping down a grade to autopilot, which makes you a spacker.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Khanivor 13 Jan 2012 19:46:25 41,239 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    /wonders if Phoenix has the skills to put on AND remove a ring from his finger
  • Whizzo 13 Jan 2012 19:50:17 43,342 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    I think in the year 2020 this thread will appear in the Nostalgia thread.
    My flying car will have a manual gear box I can assure you.

This space left intentionally blank.

• PhoenixFlames 13 Jan 2012 19:52:49 9,229 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Don't get it.

Edit: oh, is it something to do with opposable thumbs?

Edited by PhoenixFlames at 19:54:08 13-01-2012

PSN - phoenix1flames

• localnotail 13 Jan 2012 19:55:17 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just so I understand this, briefcases are a completely practical way of getting your stuff too and from school, but they will never be cool, and any attempt to dispute this or indeed defend them will be met with utter contempt and ridicule? Is that the basic rule in play?

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Fatiguez 13 Jan 2012 19:57:36 8,762 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, but now pretend that there are briefcases that can close and open themselves automatically, but it takes longer and they're heavier

• Fatiguez 13 Jan 2012 19:57:52 8,762 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    and also have 'spacker' written on them in shining pink glitter

• PhoenixFlames 13 Jan 2012 19:59:30 9,229 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    Just so I understand this, briefcases are a completely practical way of getting your stuff too and from school, but they will never be cool, and any attempt to dispute this or indeed defend them will be met with utter contempt and ridicule? Is that the basic rule in play?
    I can't decide whether you are joining in with the other mugs or not. I'm leaning towards you are....

In other news...I've bought cars mats today...that just leaves the licence to get ;-)

Going out practicing tomorrow with a proper 2 hour lesson booked for Monday evening. Looking forward to having a decent length of time out.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• the_dudefather 13 Jan 2012 20:06:00 9,416 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The only cool way to carry books is in a back pack over exactly one shoulder

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Khanivor 13 Jan 2012 20:07:05 41,239 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Khanivor wrote:
    Don't get it.

Edit: oh, is it something to do with opposable thumbs?
    Beware the ring
  • localnotail 13 Jan 2012 20:09:01 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No, I was joining in originally because the concept of not being able to drive manually is something I find amusing as seems so easy to me (I think possibly you haven't had a good enough teacher, but maybe you just don't have that kind of brain)

Over the past day or so, though, the behaviour towards you has moved beyond teasing, through bullying, and into torture. Which I'm less amused by. You really aren't helping yourself though. Hence my metaphorical suggestion to just let them get on with it, because they are only doing it for a reaction.

• Fatiguez 13 Jan 2012 20:12:25 8,762 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago

• PhoenixFlames 13 Jan 2012 20:13:41 9,229 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    No, I was joining in originally because the concept of not being able to drive manually is something I find amusing as seems so easy to me (I think possibly you haven't had a good enough teacher, but maybe you just don't have that kind of brain)

Over the past day or so, though, the behaviour towards you has moved beyond teasing, through bullying, and into torture. Which I'm less amused by. You really aren't helping yourself though. Hence my metaphorical suggestion to just let them get on with it, because they are only doing it for a reaction.
    Fair enough. They should be banned then really.

How am I not helping myself? I've put them all on ignore anyway so I don't have to read their attempts at being funny.

Back on topic...has anyone ever helped someone learn? My gf will be taking the hot seat tomorrow...I'd be scared if I was her :eek:

Edited by PhoenixFlames at 20:15:30 13-01-2012

PSN - phoenix1flames

• Whizzo 13 Jan 2012 20:29:57 43,342 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You've not just been driving with an instructor have you? Having the odd 20-30 minutes on quiet roads or an empty car park with a decent driving friend/relative really helps with driving confidence. Which you don't seem to have a lot of given the last sentence.

This space left intentionally blank.

• PhoenixFlames 13 Jan 2012 20:31:06 9,229 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    You've not just been driving with an instructor have you? Having the odd 20-30 minutes on quiet roads or an empty car park with a decent driving friend/relative really helps with driving confidence. Which you don't seem to have a lot of given the last sentence.
    No never.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• localnotail 13 Jan 2012 20:34:54 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    How am I not helping myself?
    Maybe stop reacting at all? I.e.don't call them arseholes? This is basic playground survival, if you are getting whaled on, just go limp, until they get bored and drift away.

As for your driving practice: always have a lesson at least once a fortnight from a proper instructor. It's their job, they will teach you. Practice with OH / parents. Find a big empty carpark at first, university / college car park at weekends / evenings are good. Where possible, get driving instructor to discuss with your practice partner things to watch / pay special attention to.

Actual teaching responsibilty is too much stress for most relationships to bear, plus not everyone who can drive can teach. Also, no dual control. Get a professional in.

Edited by localnotail at 20:38:35 13-01-2012

• Deleted user 13 January 2012 20:39:00
    briefcase wanker
  • Deleted user 13 January 2012 20:39:18
    Clusterfuck of a thread has reminded I still need to get my licence. Past my theory a few months ago but had to put everything on hold with a new job/moving.

The whole gear thing looks like it will be a bitch to get round but I intend to just stick at it. Even if it will cost me a fortune in lessons as I don't have a car I can borrow and practice in.
  • PhoenixFlames 13 Jan 2012 20:40:41 9,229 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    How am I not helping myself?
    Maybe stop reacting at all? I.e.don't call them arseholes? This is basic playground survival, if you are getting whaled on, just go limp, until they get bored and drift away.

As for your driving practice: always have a lesson at least once a fortnight from a proper instructor. It's their job, they will teach you. Practice with OH / parents. Find a big empty carpark at first, university / college car park at weekends / evenings are good. Where possible, get driving instructor to discuss things to watch / pay special attention to.

Actual teaching responsibilty is too much stress for most relationships to bear. Also, no dual control.
    I've got a 2 hour lesson booked each week with a proper instructor. Gonna get extra practice with gf's help. We've been together 7 years so I'm sure we will be OK :)

PSN - phoenix1flames

• localnotail 13 Jan 2012 20:52:05 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That's ok then. Practice with partners is fine, just not actual full teaching responsibility. There will be bad moments of frustration, as there always are when someone who has been doing a thing for so long that it is second nature has to try to accept it can be hard to grasp to a n00b (1). Also you may get frustrated with yourself and she may try to help and it may make it worse (2)

(1) Like trying to get your mum to work a twin stick shooter. Co-ordination is not always an innate skill.
    (2) Like other situations of frustrating loss of performance capability

How long do theory tests last for?

• PhoenixFlames 13 Jan 2012 20:53:40 9,229 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    That's ok then. Practice with partners is fine, just not actual full teaching responsibility. There will be bad moments of frustration, as there always are when someone who has been doing a thing for so long that it is second nature has to try to accept it can be hard to grasp to a n00b (1). Also you may get frustrated with yourself and she may try to help and it may make it worse (2)

(1) Like trying to get your mum to work a twin stick shooter. Co-ordination is not always an innate skill.
    (2) Like other situations of frustrating loss of performance capability

How long do theory tests last for?
    Heh :-)

2 years for Theory Tests - mine ran out, doing it again next month.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• LeoliansBro 13 Jan 2012 20:53:53 44,939 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PF, I know I'm on ignore, which means I shouldn't bother. But honestly.

Look at it as the difference between skiing and tobogganing. Both have a lot in common. Both will get you to where you want to go. One's easier, one's harder. Children love one. But which do you find most adults opt for?

Alternatively, there are hundreds of millions of people who have unlocked the arcane mysteries of the gearbox. Are they all better than you? Are you that far down the list?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deleted user 13 January 2012 20:56:25
    I think theory tests are valid for three years, or something weird like that. I know one of my mates had to retake his because it lapsed.
  • Page

of 18 First / Last