Change in law - shared paternity leave

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Deleted user 17 January 2011 12:51:40
    Great news!

Clegg unveils plan for couples to share maternity leave

Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg has outlined plans to press ahead with changes in April to allow couples to share maternity leave.

The change, originally put forward by the last government, lets a father take up any remaining unpaid leave if their partner goes back to work early.

Nick Clegg described the current paternity arrangements as "Edwardian".

He said the government would consult on a "proper" system of shared parental leave to be introduced in 2015.

'Alarm Clock Britain'
    In the speech Mr Clegg said it was vital that reforms to parental leave helped not only the rich, but also ordinary working families in what he calls "Alarm Clock Britain".

"Too many of these parents feel trapped by the current rigid rules," he said. The current systems, which allows men two weeks of paternity leave "patronise women and marginalise men".

The government wants couples to be able to take leave in a number of chunks rather than a single block, or parents taking time off together rather than one after the other.

The change allowing men to use unpaid leave not used by their partners was originally proposed by the previous Labour government. It will come in later this year.
  • Stickman 17 Jan 2011 12:58:33 29,652 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'll take my block when they head off to uni.
  • Dougs 17 Jan 2011 13:04:16 75,861 posts
    Seen 21 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    All well and good but doesn't deal with the major problem - that the bloke still has to go back to work because by and large he's the majority wage earner. And this additional period of leave is unpaid (I assume SMP or something might apply), so I can't see this changing much except for the top earners who can afford to have both parents off at the same time for an extended period. And that's without the impact on businesses, who really aren't going to want someone being off for 2 weeks, coming back for 3 weeks, then disappearing again.
  • rutter 25 Jan 2011 20:43:05 1,919 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What happens if your wife doesn't work? Can I take the whole lot myself!?
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.