Worst minigame ever Page 3

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Next
  • Paulie_P 19 Jan 2011 12:58:58 411 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Do the train sections in Zelda: Spirit Tracks and boat sections in Phantom Hourglass count? - they're enough to make me want to avoid any future Zeldas that contain a vechile section.

Also:
    Red Dead Redemption - Horseshoe throwing
    GTA IV - Bowling, Pool, could the whole relationship thing count as a mini-game?
    Final Fantasy VII - There were some awful mini-games in the golden saucer
    Final Fantasy IX - The card minigame fails to capture the simplicity and elegance of the card game in FF VIII
    Final Fantasy X - Blitzball has been mentioned already in this thread
    Final Fantasy XII - I could never grasp the quickening system, seemed completely random
    Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 - Clearing out the trash (1 is slightly worse)
    Shenmue - was it called Lucky Ball, the pachkino game

I haven't got far enough in Mass Effect yet to start exploring the planets (just became captain of the Normandy so I'm sure I'm near it soon) so I guess I have that to look forward to.
  • sickpuppysoftware 19 Jan 2011 13:01:45 1,317 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Escaping the cell right at the start of V on the C64. I seem to remember the wave matching minigame in Zoids was fairly bad too.

You cannot stop me with paramecium alone!

• Deleted user 19 January 2011 13:11:01
    /slaps forehead

SHENMUE forklift truck race!!!

/wins thread
  • Hermiod 19 Jan 2011 14:35:07 3,702 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Paulie_P wrote:
    I haven't got far enough in Mass Effect yet to start exploring the planets (just became captain of the Normandy so I'm sure I'm near it soon) so I guess I have that to look forward to.

Planet scanning is in Mass Effect 2, not the first game. It's a pain in the arse but necessary if you want to keep everyone alive in the end.
  • Futaba 19 Jan 2011 14:36:39 3,461 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I liked Blitzball. I used to enjoy finding what felt like random npcs who later turned out to be my best player a season or two later. Or snapping up rival star players when their contracts ended, almost felt like Football Manager. They ruined it in X-2 though (along with everything else).

Lawrens wrote:
    space harrier... in bayonetta

I hated that too. It went on too long and I felt like I was getting Nintendinitis near the end of it.

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• kalel 19 Jan 2011 14:38:38 86,338 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Black Ops single player.
  • RedSparrows 19 Jan 2011 14:47:09 22,030 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Haha. Seconded.

Planet scanning in ME2 is dull, but it's hardly as bad as some mini games.

DK64 was full of them, mostly alright, but some were rubbish.
  • Futaba 19 Jan 2011 14:51:05 3,461 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just remembered the jobs from Fable 2. I think I went into an autopilot mode or weird trance after doing the blacksmithing one for fifteen minutes straight.

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• Hermiod 19 Jan 2011 14:59:40 3,702 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Haha. Seconded.

Planet scanning in ME2 is dull, but it's hardly as bad as some mini games.

At least it's just dull rather than completely broken like some mini-games - the Star Destroyer being the most obvious, or the Sentinel in X-Men Origins: Wolverine.
  • JetSetWilly 19 Jan 2011 15:01:03 5,721 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just the right amount of foam.

/stab
  • intpleeus 19 Jan 2011 21:04:04 28 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The mini-game in Mass Effect was pathetic -- a crude Simon-says button pressing exercise. It was used to hack computers, bypass doors, investigate wreckage, observe insignias, analyse element deposits, disarm bombs and just about every other action that didn't involve pulling a trigger. Rarely did failure have any meaningful consequence; Shepard could usually try again and again indefinitely until he succeeded; this removed any tension 95 percent of the time. The mini-game was just mindless padding, and Mass Effect would have been better without it.
  • intpleeus 19 Jan 2011 21:10:02 28 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I liked the mini-games in Alpha Protocal. They got extremely difficult late in the game unless Thorton invested heavily in the relevant skill (with both attributes and equipment), but that was not a design error.

The pipe mini-game in Bioshock was also very good. Again, it got extremely difficult later int he game unless the player invested in the relevant gene tonics, but again, that was not a design error. The main problem was that it occurred too frequently for particular playstyles.
  • Nozzinja 19 Jan 2011 21:30:28 205 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That one part in Mass effect 1 on Noveria with the generator (and no F$%&ing omni-gel!).
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Next