Optical Express Laser Eye Surgery Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• Opti 15 Jan 2011 18:45:37 64 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I had this done last year with Optical Express. Went very well and now have better than 20 20 vision. No problems to date. My mate had the same experience on my recommendation.

Understand people's concerns though. It is your vision after all.
  • Davidbrian 17 Jan 2011 20:00:06 2 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ryandsimmons wrote:
    Anyone had this done? Had my consultation today and am very tempted.

Also has anyone get a referal for such (the money off vouchers)

Hi Ryan,

Had it done but only do it if you've done some background research. Sirtacos obviously does not know ANYTHING about this and should not comment about stuff he knows nothing about.
    Steoc4 is about right with what he says. There are three parts to laser eye surgery, the initial test which should take about an hour. You should only be seen by a highly qualified optometrist, be careful if they set the sales person onto you to sign up straight away! You should never be pressured into anything like laser eye surgery, remember you are trusting those people with your future vision. Second part is the laser technology. The most advanced laser in laser eye surgery is the wavelight allegretto, the trouble is you will not find it in any of the main clinics, they've still got the old stuff. And the surgeons the last bit to make sure is right. Mine started in laser eye surgery 25 years ago and was brilliant.

I had my eyes lasered at Accuvision laser eye clinics, after all the research I only found good things said about them and guess what - they were true. Much better test, really nice people and lots of care before and after And I saved money on what the 3 main clinics were going to charge me for my prescription. It's up to you where you go but make sure you are at least 99% sure they will do a great job for you.

Good Luck!
  • askew 17 Jan 2011 20:02:30 12,414 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can do it for you if you want. 5. No questions asked.

/breaks open DVD player.
  • Lukus 17 Jan 2011 20:07:53 19,248 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Davidbrian wrote:
    ryandsimmons wrote:

Hi Ryan,

Had it done but only do it if you've done some background research. Sirtacos obviously does not know ANYTHING about this and should not comment about stuff he knows nothing about.
    Steoc4 is about right with what he says. There are three parts to laser eye surgery, the initial test which should take about an hour. You should only be seen by a highly qualified optometrist, be careful if they set the sales person onto you to sign up straight away! You should never be pressured into anything like laser eye surgery, remember you are trusting those people with your future vision. Second part is the laser technology. The most advanced laser in laser eye surgery is the wavelight allegretto, the trouble is you will not find it in any of the main clinics, they've still got the old stuff. And the surgeons the last bit to make sure is right. Mine started in laser eye surgery 25 years ago and was brilliant.

I had my eyes lasered at Accuvision laser eye clinics, after all the research I only found good things said about them and guess what - they were true. Much better test, really nice people and lots of care before and after And I saved money on what the 3 main clinics were going to charge me for my prescription. It's up to you where you go but make sure you are at least 99% sure they will do a great job for you.

Good Luck!

I'm always highly suspicious of people who come out of the blue and whose posting history consists solely of recommendations for products or companies.

How much are they paying you?

/shines light in davidbrian's face.

Paintings & Photographs

• RobTheBuilder 17 Jan 2011 20:08:26 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've read that the success rates are good, but as you get older you will naturally lose sharpness in your sight so even laser surgery can't stop that happening as you age.
  • askew 17 Jan 2011 20:42:30 12,414 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Need to keep lasering them. Although eventually they'll just crust over.
  • Davidbrian 17 Jan 2011 21:29:34 2 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    Davidbrian wrote:
    ryandsimmons wrote:

Hi Ryan,

Good Luck!

I'm always highly suspicious of people who come out of the blue and whose posting history consists solely of recommendations for products or companies.

Hi Lukus

I thought forums were for sharing knowledge and relevant experience? Is there some initiation I have to go through first? Have you had laser eye surgery recently? Did you go to at least three consultations before you made a decision about correcting your vision? Perhaps your eyesight is so good it can see things that aren't there ( I think the optometrist I USED to visit called them floaters) Perhaps you have those Lukus?

BTW I paid them alot of money and it has been the best money I have spent. If you suffered from bad eyesight most of your life you may have some idea of what I mean. People with good eyesight have no idea what it is like, especially when you haven't done anything to cause it - its just life, get on with it. Well now you don't have to - there is a choice and this blog is supposed to be about sharing experiences.

Perhaps I should have started talking about Depression or Animal depression first
  • Lukus 17 Jan 2011 21:32:32 19,248 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Davidbrian wrote:
    Lukus wrote:
    Davidbrian wrote:
    ryandsimmons wrote:

Hi Ryan,

Good Luck!

Hi Lukus

I thought forums were for sharing knowledge and relevant experience? Is there some initiation I have to go through first? Have you had laser eye surgery recently? Did you go to at least three consultations before you made a decision about correcting your vision? Perhaps your eyesight is so good it can see things that aren't there ( I think the optometrist I USED to visit called them floaters) Perhaps you have those Lukus?

BTW I paid them alot of money and it has been the best money I have spent. If you suffered from bad eyesight most of your life you may have some idea of what I mean. People with good eyesight have no idea what it is like, especially when you haven't done anything to cause it - its just life, get on with it. Well now you don't have to - there is a choice and this blog is supposed to be about sharing experiences.

Perhaps I should have started talking about Depression or Animal depression first

Steady on chap. You're beginning to sound a bit mental there. Not the best endorsement for Accuvision.

Paintings & Photographs

• heyyo 17 Jan 2011 21:38:05 14,372 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    20 menthol cools and i'll do you a shine job

/riddick
  • heyyo 17 Jan 2011 21:39:08 14,372 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The lasers have removed some of your brain David mate.
  • Load_2.0 17 Jan 2011 21:42:18 19,442 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The laser baked his medulla oblongata.

Actually ryandsimmons this is not something that requires a huge amount of skill, my Uncle was an optician and I thumbed through a few phamphlets he had in his surgery, took me about thirty minutes to teach myself the basics, I got a laser pointer later that day and began fixing the general public.

If I see some poor glasses wearer, BLAM I blast them with my pointer right in each eye. I have got to the point where I can "shoot from the hip" if you will pardon the expression.

Sure they shriek and holler at first but boy it's a small price to pay for the gift of 20/20 vision.
  • estoo 17 Jan 2011 22:27:55 2,834 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really hope Davidbrian isn't the guy who cuts into your eye with the scalpel...

"CALL ME A PLANET WILL YA!?!?!"
  • mal 18 Jan 2011 00:37:55 22,693 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wait, is sirtacos a member of the cabal now?

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• WoodenSpoon 18 Jan 2011 00:43:53 12,290 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Whatever happened to medulla oblongata anyway? I remember him banging on about Half Life 2 for a couple of years and then going pretty quiet after it came out.
  • Deleted user 16 February 2011 11:18:42
    pinkyrocks wrote:
    Had this done a year ago, couldn't recommend it enough. Freedom from glasses and contact lenses is an awesome thing. My recommendations;

1) Don't be cheap.
    2) Research your doctor. Years of experience etc etc
    3) Research your clinic. How many infections have they had etc etc
    4) Research the laser they use. The technology changes year to year, but the 'oldest' lasers are still out there. The latest are the wavefront guided lasers, they use these for american military pilots (insert unable to see their own side gag here).
    5) If you are not happy with either, walk away and find another clinic
    6) Ask every question you can
    7) Ask about alternatives (LASIK vs ASLA) - I had ALSA which is way more painful, but better results for my vision.
    8) If you do it, accept the risks.

But, like I said, cannot recommend it enough. Freedom!

I would like to second this, very sensible post. My Partner had it done 6 months ago with Optical Express and it has changed her life. Research who is doing the operation, and select the laser type you are most comfortable with.

One thing that isn't mentioned is that it can be quite painful immediately afterwards, make sure a friend can take you home and look after you, because you are effectively blind for a few hours (the actual length depends upon which surgery you opt for). Otherwise, its over pretty quickly and around 24hrs later you have new eyes, all shiny and doing what there were supposed to do.
  • estoo 16 Feb 2011 11:31:00 2,834 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Greggywocky... wrote:
    estoo wrote:
    Greggywocky... wrote:
    Considered this, but have stuck with Night and Day contact lenses that you can keep in constantly for 4 - 6 weeks. They're 51 for 3 pairs online. (ie. 200 a year).

I had no idea these existed, how do they compare comfort-wise with daily disposables?

While I'm at it I'm gonna give these guys a plug because they gave me some amazing customer service last year.

Lenson
    One of my orders took over a week to turn up, I emailed them, they sent out some more, then both turned up a couple of days later.

I emailed them offering to pay for the 2nd lot rather than going through the hassle of posting them back and they just said to keep them. Highly recommended!

I wear them constantly for a month or more, have been doing so since 2005, and have never had any problems. They can effect different people different ways though, according to the optician. Couldn't hurt to try a pair I suppose. I get them from lenstore.co.uk.

To clarify - by 'constantly' I mean exactly that. You don't take them out at night either.

While this thread is bumped, just wanted to say I have been using these for a month now and they have been a revelation, so thanks very much for the recommendation!
  • Derblington 29 Mar 2011 02:09:16 21,914 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Had my consultation on Friday to get my peepers all lasered up. Surgery is on the 16th April.
  • Psychotext 29 Mar 2011 02:18:42 54,391 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As my eyesight declines I'm starting to consider this. I only wear glasses when I'm tired / spending a lot of time in front of a screen, but that's already too much.

That said, the whole idea scares the shit out of me.
  • Trafford 29 Mar 2011 07:46:50 5,875 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Could someone give me a rough cost on this please?
    I'm torn between this and the semi permanent contacts at 200 per year.

• RyanDS 29 Mar 2011 09:02:09 9,579 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Had my consultation on Friday to get my peepers all lasered up. Surgery is on the 16th April.

Cancel!

If you say no then a month later they say "Please reconsider, heres a 300 discount voucher as a sweetener."
  • RyanDS 29 Mar 2011 09:04:30 9,579 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Trafford wrote:

Depends on your eyes. Standard is 395 per eye, but I have had friends quoted 1500 per eye.
  • Craig0702 29 Mar 2011 09:09:09 2,178 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My glasses cost me 25 from Specsavers and no-one had to poke me in the eye, I know what I'm sticking with!

I don't get the big issue with some people and glasses, is it just a style thing?
  • Derblington 29 Mar 2011 09:15:49 21,914 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Trafford wrote:

It depends on the clinic, the tech used and the condition of your eyes (which will also effect the type of surgery available to you).
  • Derblington 14 Apr 2011 19:49:16 21,914 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    2 days away from potential blindness in one or both eyes...:)
  • Derblington 17 Apr 2011 14:53:39 21,914 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So, I had the surgery yesterday, took about 10 minutes for both eyes. Had my one day check up about an hour ago, both eyes are healing fine and my vision is now better than when I was wearing my spectacles.
  • RobTheBuilder 17 Apr 2011 14:57:48 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not done it myself, but having started doing some work on the sector I would say if you can afford it go with Ultralase. More expensive but they have the latest equipment and better overall care I hear.
  • Deleted user 17 April 2011 15:02:23
    How much is it these days?

(and I mean the good expensive ones, not the 'buy one eye get one free' or 'while-u-wait' services)
  • RobTheBuilder 17 Apr 2011 15:10:01 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not sure of costs. But save up and go with the better lasers and better service!
  • Lexx87 17 Apr 2011 15:13:18 20,863 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Even the good expensive ones are offering 200 off, don't pay until 2054 interest free for 10,000 years etc etc.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Page

of 3 First / Last