10 O'Clock Live C4 - Brooker, Carr, Laverne and Mitchell Page 2

• Page

of 14 First / Last

• thefilthandthefury 15 Jan 2011 15:26:03 25,016 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Lauren Laverne is absolutely lovely. She can be funny, entertaining and likes good music, it's a no-brainer.

Unless you think the total opposite to this, which I do.

Another one here - can't stand anything about the woman. The less she's on my screens and radio the happier I am.
  • M83J01P97 15 Jan 2011 15:28:18 6,652 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was lucky enough to meet her at Glastonbury in 2003 where she complimented me on my rare Autechre T-Shirt and then started telling us about a paper she was writting for the London College of Music on Krautrock's influence on modern electronic music. She then had to rush off to a private party being thrown by Kieran Hebden (Four Tet) who she apparently went to school with.

I would have done her right there and then.

If she didn't have her kid with her.

• Lukus 15 Jan 2011 15:29:21 19,098 posts
    Seen 47 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    She's trying too hard.

Paintings & Photographs

• Orange 15 Jan 2011 15:40:12 4,792 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    She's ok as a normal presenter, just not as a comedienne.
  • Chopsen 15 Jan 2011 15:59:15 15,949 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Quite. I like her, she's great as a music DJ and general media commentary, but as a presenter of what looks like a satirical current affairs programme? Shall we also expect Brooker host a cookery programme or get Mitchell to appear in a gritty cop drama? Makes no bloody sense. She's there cos she has boobies.
  • M83J01P97 15 Jan 2011 16:14:47 6,652 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Whatever happened to Daisy Donovan...
  • localnotail 15 Jan 2011 17:40:06 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    And as for a link to the trailer in the OP; are you kidding me? Was that really necessary, considering Ch4 have been advertising it between every single one of their programs for the last two weeks?

Easy there grumpy pants, there was no thread, so I wasn't sure if people were aware of it. I don't watch TV much, so I've only seen the trail once. And it was only a one word link, and you didn't have to use it. OK?

Nice to see this thread mostly descending into typical EG misogyny. I had somehow forgotten that the site motto was Tits or GTFO.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• woodnotes 15 Jan 2011 17:42:36 4,924 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    Whatever happened to Daisy Donovan...
    Jason sued her for using his surname and prevented her from making any further public appearances.
  • BinaryBob101 15 Jan 2011 17:42:48 22,904 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bitch.

/slaps local

A lot of folk don't actually watch that much TV either. The link was worthy enough. Something in the air today perhaps.

The Grumpy Vaper

• Lukus 15 Jan 2011 17:49:23 19,098 posts
    Seen 47 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    Lukus wrote:
    And as for a link to the trailer in the OP; are you kidding me? Was that really necessary, considering Ch4 have been advertising it between every single one of their programs for the last two weeks?

Easy there grumpy pants, there was no thread, so I wasn't sure if people were aware of it. I don't watch TV much, so I've only seen the trail once. And it was only a one word link, and you didn't have to use it. OK?

Nice to see this thread mostly descending into typical EG misogyny. I had somehow forgotten that the site motto was Tits or GTFO.

I didn't use it. My grumpiness is shared between your link and channel four's overly enthusiastic marketing. Now go and get me a kebab.

Paintings & Photographs

• localnotail 15 Jan 2011 17:54:35 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    How about I get you a knuckle sandwich instead?

• BinaryBob101 15 Jan 2011 17:55:34 22,904 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sorry too much Blueberry.

The Grumpy Vaper

• Chopsen 15 Jan 2011 18:30:51 15,949 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    localnotail wrote:

Eh?
  • Deleted user 15 January 2011 18:31:58
    Yeah, that was a bit odd.
  • Mr-Brett 15 Jan 2011 18:51:29 12,787 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    Lukus wrote:

Well I hadn't seen it, so cheers Local.

I think this'll be good, at worst it'll be a bit better than most of the shite on TV.

Oh and Vortex is right, Lauren Laverne is absolutely lovely.

Portable view - Never forget.

• RobTheBuilder 15 Jan 2011 20:07:00 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Laverne: Decent looking + awesome taste in music = Win
  • localnotail 15 Jan 2011 20:09:38 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    :) I agree about it likely being better than most TV even if it's bad. As I said, it could be great, I hope it is. We shall see.

Chopsen wrote:
    localnotail wrote:

Eh?

mowgli wrote:
    Yeah, that was a bit odd.

Eh? Odd? Wow, it's even more ingrained than I thought. No chance you could see that my reaction was something to do with the general discussion of Lauren Laverne being mostly limited to her appearance and voice, plus comments like these?:
    mowgli wrote:
    And I'm sure Laverne will continue to be unfunny but that is fine because she is a girl, who is just ugly enough to have a political discussion with but not too ugly that you don't feel too crazy telling your mates you fancy her.
    Chopsen wrote:
    She's there cos she has boobies.

• Deleted user 15 January 2011 20:13:37
    I hate women because I think Laverne is shit and only rated and thus only there because of her indie facedoesn'tbelongontv uniqueness. Em, ok.

(p.s. I don't think she is shit I'm just making the extreme argument to show just how daft your claim is)
  • thefilthandthefury 15 Jan 2011 20:14:15 25,016 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Chopsen's post wasn't meant in the way you're reading it, I don't think. He's saying how she's a strange choice for this sort of programme and because of this they've clearly gone with a 'token woman' rather than somebody who could contribute properly.

Isn't he? o_O
  • RobTheBuilder 15 Jan 2011 20:16:51 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I find the ironic use of sexism to imply sexism quite ... erm ... ironic.
  • Deleted user 15 January 2011 20:16:55
    There are loads of better female media types that could do that show, she is blatantly only on it as she fits the 'thinking mans crumpet' demographic, ie what mowgli said initially. She has no personality that I have ever been able to detect watching her presenting various things over the years.
  • Deleted user 15 January 2011 20:17:02
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    Chopsen's post wasn't meant in the way you're reading it, I don't think. He's saying how she's a strange choice for this sort of programme and because of this they've clearly gone with a 'token woman' rather than somebody who could contribute properly.

Isn't he? o_O
    That seemed like the only obvious conclusion to me. But I do hate women apparently so I would say that.
  • Chopsen 15 Jan 2011 20:17:32 15,949 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @local

Did you actually read my post, or are you just having some kind of monosynaptic reaction because I used a derogatory term for beasts? I said I quite like her for work, but I think this is an odd vehicle for her, and I was insinuating that C4 are just getting her because she's a woman, with no regards for using her for her talents.

This is not a misogynistic argument, it's an accusation that C4 are being a bit cynical getting her because of her looks not her talent. Or has she done some stellar current affairs satire and comedy work that I have somehow missed?

I find your accusations of misogyny quite insulting, tbh.
  • localnotail 15 Jan 2011 20:25:24 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    Did you actually read my post, or are you just having some kind of monosynaptic reaction because I used a derogatory term for beasts?

He's 'aving a go at the animals now! ;)

She's got 10+ of TV presenting under her belt including live stuff at Glastonbury, none of the men have much experience of unscripted TV or performance (AFAIK, although Carr has the live performance experience I guess - still rehearsed mostly), and yet she's the one judged not worthy before we even know what her role in the show is.

• graysonavich 15 Jan 2011 20:27:02 7,342 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    TBH I've already decided if I'd do David Mitchell & Charlie Brooker already
  • Deleted user 15 January 2011 20:31:20
    localnotail wrote:
    Chopsen wrote:
    Did you actually read my post, or are you just having some kind of monosynaptic reaction because I used a derogatory term for beasts?

She's got 10+ of TV presenting under her belt including live stuff at Glastonbury, none of the men have much experience of unscripted TV or performance, and yet she's the one judged not worthy before we even know what her role in the show is.
    Yeah, conveniently forgetting the fact that everyone else on the show has been criticised. FFS local. The fact that three men were criticised and one female and you only pick up on the female criticism is bullshit.
  • Deleted user 15 January 2011 20:33:55
    Bullshit, local. Absolute bullshit is bullshit.

:p

• Lukus 15 Jan 2011 20:35:42 19,098 posts
    Seen 47 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    Chopsen wrote:

She's got 10+ of TV presenting under her belt including live stuff at Glastonbury, none of the men have much experience of unscripted TV or performance (AFAIK, although Carr has the live performance experience I guess - still rehearsed mostly), and yet she's the one judged not worthy before we even know what her role in the show is.

It's because women aren't funny.

Paintings & Photographs

• Chopsen 15 Jan 2011 20:36:02 15,949 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    Chopsen wrote:

She's got 10+ of TV presenting under her belt including live stuff at Glastonbury, none of the men have much experience of unscripted TV or performance, and yet she's the one judged not worthy before we even know what her role in the show is.

I'm basing my opinion on the election night special, where lets face it she had least developed role. I'm not saying she's not "worthy," I've got a lot of respect for her. I'm just a bit cynical about what was behind the decision to include her. I'm in danger of slightly over-polarising this argument as it's not something I'm particularly angry about and I'll certainly be giving a go.

If they'd gone with, say, Sandi Toksvig (experienced, proven track record in comedy and satire, and an ugly lesbian), I wouldn't be making the same point, basically. See what I'm getting at?
  • localnotail 15 Jan 2011 20:36:16 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Why you are still here, mowgli? You made your feelings plain enough. Do you have nothing better to do?

• Page

of 14 First / Last