Valkyria Chronicles 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • INSOMANiAC 21 Dec 2010 22:31:19 3,829 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So there isnt a dedicated thread !?!!!

Anyway, looking forward to getting this tomorrow in the sale, although Ive just read a review that points out a huge exploit in the combat system..... oh well I hope it doesnt detract from the game too much and I hope the game isnt SO good that it takes me off dragons quest 9 which im determined to finish

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• oldschoolsoviet 21 Dec 2010 22:33:18 5,460 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There was, but it disappeared, and nobody knows why...... ;_;
  • INSOMANiAC 21 Dec 2010 22:34:31 3,829 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I really must get back on the first game but I just cant be arsed.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• HiddenAway 21 Dec 2010 22:35:11 14,877 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You have a point, where is it?! I know there was one...

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• Murbal 22 Dec 2010 09:42:05 22,083 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Deleted, same as what happened to the original VC thread and apparently the Nier thread too.

WTF is going on? /o\
  • oldschoolsoviet 22 Dec 2010 16:16:40 5,460 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Somebody was GI'd I believe, or it's the emoquit/thread deletion bug (which is why emoquits are now greyed out, to protect threads).

The matter was raised and subsequently ignored. :(
  • INSOMANiAC 22 Dec 2010 19:06:07 3,829 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The price is now down to 13.99, its time to get downloading people!

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• RyanDS 23 Dec 2010 09:02:40 9,256 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I wasn't that keen on the game, but I had 15 left on my PSN account and though what the hell.

Glad I did, fucking amazing game! Almost missed my train stop this morning thanks to it and I was still playing walking down the street towards work!
  • INSOMANiAC 23 Dec 2010 10:09:55 3,829 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Using the D-pad to aim for the head is easier

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• RyanDS 23 Dec 2010 10:11:11 9,256 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    Using the D-pad to aim for the head is easier

Cheers, I'll try that.

What is the review with the exploit?

I know I'll get annoyed later and want it.
  • FabricatedLunatic 23 Dec 2010 10:25:20 13,000 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    Somebody was GI'd I believe, or it's the emoquit/thread deletion bug (which is why emoquits are now greyed out, to protect threads).
    There were some great posts in that thread as well (probably not including the ones I wrote) :-(

I'm about 65 hours in and about to take on the October story mission. It's been getting tough of late so if I'm ever to finish the game I might soon be needing that exploit myself...
  • INSOMANiAC 23 Dec 2010 17:58:48 3,829 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Im not telling you !

Ive only just started the game I dont want it to take over my dragons quest time so im saving it for another time. The voice of the main character is extremely annoying, still, I was quite surprised how close the graphics are to the PS3 game.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• RyanDS 24 Dec 2010 11:16:29 9,256 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    Im not telling you !

Any particular reason why not?

Oh and this morning I did miss my train stop as I was so engrossed.

Bloody game.
  • INSOMANiAC 24 Dec 2010 21:20:18 3,829 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Because it may ruin your christmas!

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• GloatingSwine 24 Dec 2010 23:33:11 2,668 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What are the chances that this "exploit" is just something you basically have to do all the time later on in the postgame missions in order to stand half a chance?
  • Ranger_Ryu 9 Jan 2011 16:00:25 1,051 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well finally got to the August story mission Defeense of Lanseal really stuck on it guess I can't deal with this many V2's
  • Kay 11 Jan 2011 09:44:37 17,820 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm really glad I picked this up, it's bloody great! A bit heavier on the narrative than I was expecting, but it's all superbly presented with decent voice-acting and charming characters, despite the cliches.

Had to start from scratch again this morning after (stupidly) losing all my savedata, but I was only three or so missions in so it wasn't all bad - good chance for me to try and improve my rank on those tutorial missions.
  • Roddy100 11 Jan 2011 19:25:15 756 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Uh oh, how did you manage to lose your savedata?

I have to agree, this is a fantastic game. I'm up to the final mission in April which is proving to be a bit of a challenge for me at this point. But I like being able to go back and try for better ranks on previous missions if the latest ones are giving me trouble.

Great game.
  • GloatingSwine 11 Jan 2011 23:58:30 2,668 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ranger_Ryu wrote:
    Well finally got to the August story mission Defeense of Lanseal really stuck on it guess I can't deal with this many V2's

First off, Avan needs to run away from Dirk, go and capture the base in his area, bring out something to slap the supply vehicle, and then you can deal with him when he follows you. (it really helps if Avan is a Fencer or Fencer Elite here)

Park Armor Techs in all your key bases, don't need to be special fancy ones, plain ones will do. Armour Tech on sandbags is dug in deeper than an alabama tick, without supply vehicles even a V2 is not going to make them budge.

Use Fencers (Inghild is the best bet, very large number of +vs. personnel boosts that will tip her over and allow her to 1hit the V2s, because with 4-5 chances it's a good bet at least one of them will activate. Troopers can do the job but are much more vulnerable to interception fire, whereas Fencers will laugh it off even from V2s in the front arc.)
  • Kay 12 Jan 2011 12:49:37 17,820 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Roddy100 wrote:

I was unzipping the files needed to run HEN (homebrew) to the root of the PSP memory stick, and in my excitement I clicked on 'replace all'... so everything in my savedata and game folders was replaced with just the homebrew files. I haven't played many PSP games recently, but still, will learn to start backing up the savedata folder again, as well as the PSN games themselves (having to download them all again through PSN is a bit of a ballache!).
  • Roddy100 12 Jan 2011 21:26:08 756 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    Roddy100 wrote:

I was unzipping the files needed to run HEN (homebrew) to the root of the PSP memory stick, and in my excitement I clicked on 'replace all'... so everything in my savedata and game folders was replaced with just the homebrew files. I haven't played many PSP games recently, but still, will learn to start backing up the savedata folder again, as well as the PSN games themselves (having to download them all again through PSN is a bit of a ballache!).

Do you use MediaGo? If you download your games via that, they automatically download to your PC first and then you can just transfer them to your memory stick. That way, anything you delete from your memory stick can just be re-transferred via MediaGo with no need for re-downloading.

Of course, if you use a Mac, none of this advice will be useful to you.
  • Kay 13 Jan 2011 11:49:27 17,820 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I do use MediaGo actually (it's one of the very few things I use my PC for nowadays - primarily a Mac user), but mostly download my games through the PSP itself, so I had no backups. I've queued up all my downloads on MediaGo though, and will actually keep them on the PC now just in case.

Anyway - I think it's a bit of an oversight that you can't save mid-battle in this game. I wish the camera was zoomed out just a tiny bit more in action mode. And yes, I agree with the EG review's criticisms of the high school-style setting and characters... even though it is all so brilliantly presented (checking up on the latest events/character interactions is more time-consuming than it should be). Apparently the first VC was much better in this respect - I wonder what improvements VC3 will have (and why is out so soon)?
  • Roddy100 13 Jan 2011 19:18:06 756 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes, I agree that a mid-battle quicksave option would have been useful. Flicking my PSP into sleep mode works okay though so it's not too much of a big issue for me.

I'm enjoying all the side-stories for each character but I agree that there is an awful lot of dialogue to wade through. From what I've read it sounds like the third game is going to be more like the original in terms of story/mission progression. I've never played the first one though so I'm not really familiar with how that unfolds.

It does seem like a very short development gap between the second game and the third but apparently VC2 was released in January 2010 in Japan, so it is actually a bigger timeframe than it seems.
  • Ranger_Ryu 14 Jan 2011 00:55:08 1,051 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    GloatingSwine wrote:
    Ranger_Ryu wrote:

First off, Avan needs to run away from Dirk, go and capture the base in his area, bring out something to slap the supply vehicle, and then you can deal with him when he follows you. (it really helps if Avan is a Fencer or Fencer Elite here)

Park Armor Techs in all your key bases, don't need to be special fancy ones, plain ones will do. Armour Tech on sandbags is dug in deeper than an alabama tick, without supply vehicles even a V2 is not going to make them budge.

Use Fencers (Inghild is the best bet, very large number of +vs. personnel boosts that will tip her over and allow her to 1hit the V2s, because with 4-5 chances it's a good bet at least one of them will activate. Troopers can do the job but are much more vulnerable to interception fire, whereas Fencers will laugh it off even from V2s in the front arc.)

thanks will give that a shot.
  • RyanDS 14 Jan 2011 08:56:40 9,256 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The April Story mission is doing my fucking head in. If I charge ahead to try to capture the objectives, then Baldrin picks off all my guys and I die.

If I try to take out BNaldrion he kicks my arse and I die.

VEry frustrating. So fuck you whoever said they knew an exploit but won't tell everyone.
  • Flying_Pig 14 Jan 2011 21:09:07 10,890 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This dropped through the letter box today :D

Will play this after I've finished Split/Second.
  • oldschoolsoviet 14 Jan 2011 22:05:13 5,460 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ryandsimmons wrote:
    The April Story mission is doing my fucking head in. If I charge ahead to try to capture the objectives, then Baldrin picks off all my guys and I die.

If I try to take out BNaldrion he kicks my arse and I die.

VEry frustrating. So fuck you whoever said they knew an exploit but won't tell everyone.
    My tactic/help:
    Baldrin retreats after every turn, so I believe I held back on the 1st turn, captured the first area/2nd turn, 2nd area/3rd turn etc. As long as you've got good interception fire (ie: sides and back), it should slow Baldrin down when he does appear. Tank's AA is about the only thing that'll hurt him.
  • Roddy100 16 Jan 2011 19:33:02 756 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Regarding the April mission:
    The biggest help to me (after some initial failed attempts), was to use my tank's construction arm to make a ladder up to the first base camp at the start of the mission. The rest was a breeze after that. And I completely ignored Baldrin - didn't even try to take him down.
  • RyanDS 18 Jan 2011 09:53:47 9,256 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cheers for the help guys. Finally did the April mission. Was a bloody slog though, and it took me weeks. I ended up trying the mission, fail, then doing the "collect packages mission" (which I can always complete in 2, maximum 3 turns, so easy XP) and kept repeating that.

Hopefully there aren't too many brick walls like that.
  • michaelius 18 Jan 2011 10:42:16 809 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    IIRC April was one of hardest missions in game after that it should be easier.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous