The Political Compass - how do EGers compare on a political scale?

• Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous
  • spamdangled 18 Dec 2010 01:20:45 27,354 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ok, so I thought that many people might find it interesting to see how they compare to other Forumites in terms of where they stand on the political spectrum.

You may have heard of something called the Political Compass. They have developed a brief test that measures someone's economic and social attitudes, and then plots them on a graph constituting the politcal spectrum across 2 axis.

Take the test here.

The idea is that once you have taken the test and received your result, link to it on this thread. As more responses are added, I will collate the links in this post. Eventually I hope to collate them even further, resulting in a single chart with every response plotted, and to have that being done at point of testing (which prevents people deliberately re-testing themselves until they achieve and post a result that they think is amusing or projects the image they want to project). This will make it easier to see how you compare to other forumites. For those interested in seeing how their own position relates to which UK party they actually voted for in the latest General Election, look here. The political party positions will also be plotted on the eventual fully collated chart.

Entries so far (alphabetically by username):

angerisagift (Taken from Dec2010)
    Articulate-Troll (Taken from Feb2010)
    BabyJesus (Taken from Feb2010)
    BartonFink (Taken from Feb2010)
    Big Swiss (Taken from Feb2010)
    Bill Gates is Evil ([I]Taken from Feb2010)
    Bloodloss (Taken from Dec2010)
    Charroux (Taken from Dec2010)
    coda (Taken from Dec2010)
    comradetony (Taken from Dec2010)
    Clive Dunn (Taken from Feb2010)
    CrispyXUK ([I]Taken from Feb2010)
    Darkmorgado (Taken from Dec2010)
    DazzeL 190 (Taken from Dec2010)
    Demikaze (Taken from Feb2010)
    DFawkes (Taken from Dec2010)
    DisusedGenius (Taken from Dec2010)
    dr_swin (Taken from Feb2010)
    eccosse_011172 (Taken from Dec2010)
    ecureuil (Taken from Dec2010)
    faux_carnation (Taken from Dec2010)
    Fernando (Taken from Feb2010).
    funkyd (Taken from Dec2010)
    FutureDave (Taken from Dec2010)
    gang_of_bitches (Taken from Dec2010)
    Ged42 (Taken from Feb2010)
    Genji (Taken from Dec2010, admitted trying to be "Hitlery" and ending up closer to Thatcher).
    Gl3n (Taken from Dec2010)
    glo (Taken from Feb2010)
    Graveland (Taken from Dec2010)
    iHAZaCHEEZ3burger (Taken from Feb2010)
    intpleeus (Taken from Dec2010)
    ISmoke (Taken from Dec2010)
    jamesslater (Taken from Dec2010)
    JoeBlade (Taken from Dec2010)
    Khanivor (Taken from Dec2010)
    kinky mong (Taken from Feb2010)
    Kosmoz (Taken from Dec2010)
    Load "$" (Taken from Feb2010)
    LionheardDJH (Taken from Dec2010)
    localnotail (Taken from Feb2010)
    mal (Taken from Dec2010)
    mcmonkeyplc (Taken from Feb2010).
    Megapocalypse (Taken from Dec2010)
    meggsy (Taken from Feb2010)
    MetalAngel (Taken from Dec2010)
    MetalDog (Taken from Dec2010)
    MiniAmin (Taken from Dec2010)
    morriss (Taken from Feb2010)
    mowgli (Taken from Dec2010)
    PazJohnMitch (Taken from Dec2010)
    phAge (Taken from Feb2010)
    prayouthegay (Taken from Dec2010)
    _Price_ (Taken from Dec2010)
    redcrayon (Taken from Dec2010)
    Retroid (Taken from Feb2010)
    RichardTock (Taken from Dec2010)
    RobTheBuilder (Taken from Dec2010)
    sirtacos (Taken from Dec2010)
    Smuggo (Taken from Feb2010)
    speedofthepuma (Taken from Dec2010)
    SteveHolt!!! (Taken from Dec2010)
    Stickman (Taken from Dec2010)
    SuperCoolEskimo (Taken from Dec2010)
    TechnoHippy (Taekn from Dec2010)
    Tom_Servo (Taken from Dec2010)
    thefilthandthefury (Taken from Dec2010)
    UncleLou (Taken from Feb2010)
    urban (Taken from Feb2010)
    Vroom! (Taken from Feb2010)
    Wacko_AK ([I]Taken from Dec2010)
    wayneh (Taken from Dec2010)
    Zomoniac (Taken from Feb2010)

The Science Bit
    The idea of the Political Compass is that modern politics can no longer be measured on a simple scale of left to right when economics has become a domineering factor. Historically, large state-regulated economics was assumed to be a given. However, the rise in free markets has led to economics becoming just as much of an issue as social policy.
    To address this political change, a second axis has been added to the scale of political alignment. Traditional terms of Left and Right now relate exclusively to Economics (Left being state-run and Right being deregulated) and are measured on the x axis. The y axis measures Social policy, with the top being Authoritarianism (the state dictating what is right and wrong and telling people what they can and can't believe in, etc) and the bottom being Libertarianism (the belief that people should have unrestricted civil liberties and it is not the state's duty to socially engineer). This then creates four quadrants as opposed to a linear continuum.

A quick word regarding people who complain that the word "liberal" should not apply to social principles
    It is actually completely wrong to suggest that Liberalism is a historically economic term. The traditional concept of liberalism referred to social policy, not economics. Hence why the philosophy that market forces should be completely de-regulated is called Neo-Liberalism (a new interpretation of Liberalism). People who complain that "using liberal to refer to humanitarianism is new and stupidly American" are stonishingly wrong. The reality is that actually the use of liberalism to refer to economics is new and originates in America.

Finally, a quick word for people who say "this has been done before!"
    Previous threads have not attempted to collate people's responses in an easily-referenced list, or to try and plot everyone on a single chart. By collating them, it makes it easier for people to compare each other rather than scrolling through endless posts of simple co-ordinates and trying to plot them yourself, and also allows for broader analysis (how people drift over time, how that drift compares to broader political party drift, as well as an overall average measure of where the EG community stands politically, and again how that drifts). I will work, however, on collating previously-posted coordinates into this list. If people subsequently retake the test and decide that their previously-posted stats are genuinely no longer broadly reflective of their newer testing, ask and your collated result can be amended.

Anyway, let's get going!

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• MiniAmin 18 Dec 2010 01:23:11 3,402 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mal linked to the existing version of this thread earlier.

Here's mine anyway: http://www.politicalcompass.org/printablegraph?ec=-4.75&soc=-4.67
  • Deleted user 18 December 2010 01:24:00
    Been done several times before dude sorry!
  • spamdangled 18 Dec 2010 01:25:49 27,354 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I know, but no attempt at collating them was made (I am however going to use previous threads to collate them on this list)

And eventually, as I said, the aim is to have a single chart, with everyone plotted on it, which will make it easier to see how you relate to other people.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• mal 18 Dec 2010 01:29:06 22,516 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ...and also to find out which fuckers here voted in the tories again ;)

Edit: Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure we also did this in one of the previous election threads, but my search didn't pick them up (and digging through the monster UK election threads by hand is unlikely to be an enjoyable endeavor)

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• spamdangled 18 Dec 2010 01:30:33 27,354 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Very true!

Ooooh, good point btw, I should add in how UK parties have been plotted according to the 2010 election, and how they have drifted over time.

• Genji 18 Dec 2010 01:38:53 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I tried to be as Hitler-ey as possible, but ended up closer to Thatcher. :(
  • spamdangled 18 Dec 2010 01:42:15 27,354 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Genji wrote:
    I tried to be as Hitler-ey as possible, but ended up closer to Thatcher. :(

Can you link your result, or post your coordinates, for collation?

EDIT: Actually, scratch that if you were deliberately trying to skew the outcome.

Well done for scoring 1 for the "Thatcher is as bad as Hitler!" brigade though ;D

• Genji 18 Dec 2010 01:56:05 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ok, there's my second Hitler attempt. I'm still to the right of him though.

I don't know about this test, really. What does wanting your kids to have religious education have to do with authoritarianism, or the left/right spectrum?
  • spamdangled 18 Dec 2010 01:58:27 27,354 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Religion is Authoritarian because it dictates what is right and wrong to the individual, rather than allowing the individual (or society, through democracy) to decide for themselves. Therefore, by desiring religious education (presuming you are in favour of state education, which is where the economic bit comes in), you are asking the state to dictate morality.

This is precisely why most countries (with America being the only western exception) have separated Church and State, because having the two integrated is undemocratic.

• Genji 18 Dec 2010 02:06:24 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, I don't necessarily see it as authoritarian. No more authoritarian than regular school, where "do this because God says so!" gets replaced with "do this because the teacher says so!". Kids in school don't yet have the capacity to determine what is right and wrong; that's what parents and teachers are for.

Basically, I don't think religion really fits onto the political compass. At least not for me. You can believe all sorts of political things and still be religious, believe in religious morals.
  • spamdangled 18 Dec 2010 02:12:56 27,354 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Genji wrote:
    Well, I don't necessarily see it as authoritarian. No more authoritarian than regular school, where "do this because God says so!" gets replaced with "do this because the teacher says so!". Kids in school don't yet have the capacity to determine what is right and wrong; that's what teachers are for.

Basically, I don't think religion really fits onto the political compass. At least not for me. You can believe all sorts of political things and still be religious, believe in religious morals.

But teachers are just dictating rules in terms of making sure every child has the opportunity to learn and make informed decisions (which is actually a Libertarian viewpoint), not trying to dictate morality (at least, not in the pedantic way that religion tends to approach it - i.e Eating a Cow on a Sunday under a high Equinox is wrong!). That's the distinction.

FWIW, Pope Benedict has been plotted on the compass. He is in the top-left quadrant, but broadly moderate. He believes in the fundamental morality of Catholicism, and he believe economic spending should also be dictated according to moral values. So he is Left Authoritarian.

• Genji 18 Dec 2010 02:13:27 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyway, I suppose this is a good enough way to represent someone's politics in graph form. But it can never be perfect, because some responses (at least for me) go a bit deeper than simply "agree" or "disagree".
  • spamdangled 18 Dec 2010 02:15:04 27,354 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Genji wrote:
    Anyway, I suppose this is a good enough way to represent someone's politics in graph form. But it can never be perfect, because some responses (at least for me) go a bit deeper than simply "agree" or "disagree".

This is addressed in their FAQ

• Genji 18 Dec 2010 02:21:29 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Genji wrote:
    Well, I don't necessarily see it as authoritarian. No more authoritarian than regular school, where "do this because God says so!" gets replaced with "do this because the teacher says so!". Kids in school don't yet have the capacity to determine what is right and wrong; that's what teachers are for.

But teachers are just dictating rules in terms of making sure every child has the opportunity to learn and make informed decisions (which is actually a Libertarian viewpoint), not trying to dictate morality (at least, not in the pedantic way that religion tends to approach it - i.e Eating a Cow on a Sunday under a high Equinox is wrong!). That's the distinction.
    But dictating morals to people is hardly exclusive to religion. Have a look at China, or even Japan. Hell, any country with a strong Confucian heritage.

In the case of child education, all I'm saying is that religion is a red herring. Disagreeing with "I want my children to be brought up with strong religious morals" or whatever, doesn't mean that a person is against moral dictation.
  • spamdangled 18 Dec 2010 02:25:41 27,354 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Genji wrote:
    But dictating morals to people is hardly exclusive to religion. Have a look at China, or even Japan. Hell, any country with a strong Confucian heritage.

In the case of child education, all I'm saying is that religion is a red herring. Disagreeing with "I want my children to be brought up with strong religious morals" or whatever, doesn't mean that a person is against moral dictation.

True, but again the question of religion is addressed in the FAQ. Remember that the graph is not mapping your morality (it's designed to be amoral, not to take a moral position), but your politics. After all, a religion may be authoritarian (in that it dictates right and wrong), but that doesn't mean it's immoral (because it's morality may be broadly libertarian). It's the dictating bit that is important, not the question of whether the underlying morality is correct.

• Genji 18 Dec 2010 02:32:15 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    But surely someone can say "disagree" to that statement not because of the dictating bit, but because of the mention of religion. It might create a false impression that the respondant is against dictating strong morals to their kids, when in fact it is the religious aspect of the question that they object to, not the authoritarian aspect.

Religion is irrelevant in this case. A statement like "I want my kids to have a strict moral upbringing" would be better, imo.
  • Khanivor 18 Dec 2010 02:34:00 40,703 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Khanivor 18 Dec 2010 02:34:00 40,703 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This has been done so many times here before that I think it would be quicker to take the test again than link to previous efforts.
  • spamdangled 18 Dec 2010 02:35:45 27,354 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Genji wrote:
    But surely someone can say "disagree" to that statement not because of the dictating bit, but because of the mention of religion. It might create a false impression that the respondant is against dictating strong morals to their kids, when in fact it is the religious aspect of the question that they object to, not the authoritarian aspect.

Religion is irrelevant in this case. A statement like "I want my kids to have a strict moral upbringing" would be better, imo.

Ferchrissakes, just read the FAQ point on religion!

• spamdangled 18 Dec 2010 02:36:10 27,354 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    This has been done so many times here before that I think it would be quicker to take the test again than link to previous efforts.

You gonna participate Khani?

• Khanivor 18 Dec 2010 02:36:29 40,703 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:

This is precisely why most countries (with America being the only western exception) have not separated Church and State, because having the two integrated is undemocratic.

You missed out a word. I put it in for you.
  • ElNino9 18 Dec 2010 02:38:27 13,415 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I did it.

I'm a modern day Hitler, apparently.

Take that, Gandhi!

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• Khanivor 18 Dec 2010 02:41:47 40,703 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Khanivor wrote:

OK.
  • spamdangled 18 Dec 2010 02:44:08 27,354 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Khanivor wrote:

OK.

I wasn't expecting that!

• spamdangled 18 Dec 2010 02:45:57 27,354 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ElNino9 wrote:
    I did it.

I'm a modern day Hitler, apparently.

Take that, Gandhi!

Care to post your result for collation?

• Khanivor 18 Dec 2010 02:47:26 40,703 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Khanivor wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Khanivor wrote:

OK.

I wasn't expecting that!

Probably because I don't tend to argue things based purely on ideology.
  • spamdangled 18 Dec 2010 02:49:15 27,354 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If it takes off as well, I will keep records of individual trends over time (how peoples attitudes change) and look at ways of mapping them in collated ways.

This will probably be done on a per-quadrant basis (so collating everyone in a particular quadrant from year 0 and showing their drift into other quadrants over time) to reduce the inevtiable clusterfuck of trying to map them all at once.

What can I say, I love mapping trends. I'm a data analyst for a reason!

• spamdangled 18 Dec 2010 02:52:00 27,354 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I genuinely thought, based on previous experience, that you would be in the top-right quadrant more closely aligned with the current political uk parties.

Then again, I was incredibly surprised to find that I am so dramatically far apart from Liberal Democrats and closer to the Greens (though that's mainly due to the LD shift towards neoliberalism).

• Khanivor 18 Dec 2010 03:00:15 40,703 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    I genuinely thought, based on previous experience, that you would be in the top-right quadrant more closely aligned with the current political uk parties.

Just in case you think I gamed the results, from 1st Feb this year:

Khanivor wrote:
    Economic Left/Right: -6.62
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.31
  • Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous