of 16 First / Last

Previous
  • Rauha 15 Dec 2010 09:08:32 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    \o/

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kINfe99-Wls

Official Site: http://tox.namco-ch.net/

Xillia features character designs by both Kosuke Fujishima and Mutsumi Inomata, two primary Tales series character designers. Fujishima created the game's male main character, Shuto Matis (voiced by Tsubasa Yonaga). Inomata created the game's female main character, Mira Maxwell (voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro). This use of two main characters is a first for the series according to Jump.

The trailer lists animation from Ufotable, music from Motoi Sakuraba and, as detailed in Jump, a theme song from Ayumi Hamasaki. Two directors are listed: Asana Inoki (director of Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World) and Naoto Miyadera (previous work on Symphonia and Abyss). The game's producer is Hideo Baba.

The site lists Xillia as due for PlayStation 3 release in 2011. As always for the Tales series, the genre is some sort of phrase that describes the game's theme. This time, the genre is listed as "揺るぎなき信念のRPG," which I'm going to take a shot at translating as "RPG of Steadfast Convictions."
    - Andriasang

Bring it to the West!
  • Machetazo 15 Dec 2010 09:41:05 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That looks pretty cool! New Tales? I'm definitely in favour of that. :D
  • andywilkie35 15 Dec 2010 09:41:33 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Always up for more Tales :)

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Rauha 15 Dec 2010 09:44:22 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    They've lined themselves up perfectly for a Tales PS3 Bundle :)

Hope atleast this one will make it over here.
  • uiruki 15 Dec 2010 09:51:16 3,678 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sounds good. I'm enjoying Graces F right now, in spite of the occasionally dodgy script. Try taking a drink each time a character says "protect" and you'll be worshipping the porcelain fairy inside an hour. Hopefully the characters will be more like Vesperia!

Also, Ayumi Hamasaki for theme song? Bit late for that, surely? still, should be better than the fucking awful awful track on Graces.
  • Cappy 15 Dec 2010 09:53:34 11,898 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Unfortunately Namco Bandai figures that we really want games like Dead to Rights and Splatterhouse, a lousy port of the mediocre Enslaved and straggly unkempt urchin Majin in the West rather than any of their RPGS that critics actually rate.
  • Machetazo 15 Dec 2010 10:00:18 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    By chance, have they explained anywhere the reason for their RPG tardiness, in the west?
  • Blerk Moderator 15 Dec 2010 10:02:13 48,225 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    They hate us. Specifically Europeans. I think I remember an official press release to that effect.
  • Cappy 15 Dec 2010 10:19:53 11,898 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I guess every publisher wants to be the next EA or Activision, desperately throwing mud hoping something sticks and becomes the next Call of Duty. Games that don't push the Western lowest common denominator's buttons just don't fit in with that.

I wish more publishers wanted to be like Atlus USA, they make modest projections, 70,000 for Demon's Souls, they're happy when it far exceeds that. Not every game has to be a potential million seller. Vesperia PS3 could easily meet and make profit on Atlus sized sales expectations in the West.
  • Cappy 15 Dec 2010 10:30:05 11,898 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes, Symphonia sold loads it was a special case though.

You don't get much more RPG starved than Gamecube owners, for years the only decent one they had was a port of Skies of Arcadia.

Plus Symphonia looked like something fresh and new at the time (though the same old crusty gameplay was hidden beneath), the first time the game would appear with 'next-gen' fancy 3D cel shaded graphics. Looking gorgeous definitely helps.
  • andywilkie35 15 Dec 2010 10:31:09 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Easily my favourite GC game that was, loved it.

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Machetazo 15 Dec 2010 10:38:08 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    andywilkie35 wrote:
    Easily my favourite GC game that was, loved it.
    +1 to that. A wonderful game, with some good characters.
  • chrisno21 15 Dec 2010 10:54:02 1,492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tales hit a high with Symphonia and the brilliant Abyss, sadly ToS2 was trite. Was waiting for Vesperia PS3 with the extra bits but have given up hope and am scowering the second hand market for the 360 version without pubes.

So new Tales is always a treat.

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• Machetazo 15 Dec 2010 14:50:48 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    In related: Namco Bandai is clearly displeased with the outcome of western development for its properties, so it's taking control back to Japan, and starting from there, again.
    We found the quality and development speed of titles made for us by the overseas studios to be lacking, Namco Bandai President Shukuo Ishikawa said in an interview with Bloomberg in Tokyo yesterday. 擢oreign studios can still propose and develop games, but our Japanese staff will control the process more closely.
    :( I don't think they were lacking quality at all. That's too much! But, it is true that they didn't find the audience NBG would have liked to have seen, I think given the time of year...However, the outcome is what it is. *sigh*
  • Cappy 15 Dec 2010 14:55:40 11,898 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think 'lacking in quality' is a pretty fair assessment. Not a single one of their recent titles stands up as a must buy for fans of any particular genre.
  • Rauha 15 Dec 2010 15:11:31 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    I think 'lacking in quality' is a pretty fair assessment. Not a single one of their recent titles stands up as a must buy for fans of any particular genre.

Since we stood opposed on whether Catherine would make it to West, what do you think Cappy, will Tales of Xillia make it out in the US/EU?

I'm gonna be the resident optimist and say it will.
  • Machetazo 15 Dec 2010 15:13:13 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No, I disagree. It's not accurate, at all. Take the Splatterhouse (bottlerocket - for argument's sake, though I don't overlook the fact that NB took it in-house after pulling the project from the developer), and Enslaved (Ninja theory) teams. They didn't just phone those games in. Both teams showed commitment, they researched, and put the time in, to produce perfectly enjoyable, complete games, which were then launched at an inopportune time of the year, for such things. To NB's credit, there was a good deal of advertising to accompany Enslaved, but to overcome the odds presented - it was unlikely, to have caught enough interest.

But to say that the end products lacked in quality, is just silly, and a discredit.

The thing about that Catherine game - it appears to be receiving a "fair bit" of western media coverage, nevertheless, I am playing it safe by almost entirely ignoring it, until there is an announcement. I just don't think it's worth spending enthusiasm on, until there's even some hint of an English language localisation, at least.
  • Cappy 15 Dec 2010 15:52:55 11,898 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rauha wrote:
    Since we stood opposed on whether Catherine would make it to West, what do you think Cappy, will Tales of Xillia make it out in the US/EU?

I'm gonna be the resident optimist and say it will.

Hold your horses! The game isn't even out in Japan yet.

Though it's not looking like a great loss, that original piece of artwork that promised something new has been replaced with screen shots that look like just your average Tales game.

There are even rumblings about it actually being a game that was cancelled on the Wii and moved over to the PS3 rather than a true PS3 Tales games due to some lower than expected poly counts and ropey rendering on things like the water. Tales of Graces F could have been the practice run I guess.

My guess. No overseas release.
  • Rauha 15 Dec 2010 15:53:33 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Machetazo wrote:
    In related: Namco Bandai is clearly displeased with the outcome of western development for its properties, so it's taking control back to Japan, and starting from there, again.
    We found the quality and development speed of titles made for us by the overseas studios to be lacking, Namco Bandai President Shukuo Ishikawa said in an interview with Bloomberg in Tokyo yesterday. 擢oreign studios can still propose and develop games, but our Japanese staff will control the process more closely.
    :( I don't think they were lacking quality at all. That's too much! But, it is true that they didn't find the audience NBG would have liked to have seen, I think given the time of year...However, the outcome is what it is. *sigh*

Hang on there Mach ... Game Republic, the ones that gave us Folklore and Majin, are also responsible for that Clash of the Titans game? Dear Lord.

All of sudden (having read that article) hope for a localisation of Xillia is diminishing.
  • Rauha 15 Dec 2010 15:58:07 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Still don't understand why they just don't allow XSEED to publish/localise their Tales games in the West.

@ Cappy, I wouldn't be suprised if that Wii->PS3 rumour were true, I mean for the remainder of this gen PS3 will be the likely home of the Tales franchise. Thought the screens and trailer looked terrific.
  • Cappy 15 Dec 2010 16:04:17 11,898 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Machetazo wrote:
    But to say that the end products lacked in quality, is just silly, and a discredit.

But that's exactly why I ignored all their recent products. They lack quality.

Enslaved. Repellent main character. Gameplay sounds weak and repetitive. And the real killer, tears like a bitch on the PS3. Not good enough.

Majin. Focus grouped to death. Majin looks like some sort of deformed, plasticine clown-baby. Offputting voice acting. Ropey looking environments. Not a world or characters I want to spend time with. Not good enough.

Splatterhouse. Need anything be said? Too dumb to die. Too dumb to play.

Do I even need to mention all the Dragon Ball and Naruto games? Namco Bandai are not exactly a purveyor of quality product, perhaps you disagree, but calling their output largely 'low quality' is hardly silly in my book.
  • Rauha 15 Dec 2010 16:06:17 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That new Naruta game is actually supposed to be very good.

/Liked the Majin demo :(
  • Machetazo 15 Dec 2010 16:09:45 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Do you think that GR also fall under the title of "overseas studios"? I don't know where they're based, geographically, but I think we can probably count Majin amongst those NBG's less than pleased with.
    Their studio's on Knight's Contract (Feb), for their next release. I didn't think of Clash, first, because I haven't paid it the slightest interest, never played it, because I thought it always looked fairly grim; but also, because horrors like that are, then, best kept far at the back of mind :)

My only assumption/excuse, would be for it, that they were constrained by deadlines, in order to meet the cinematic release, near-as. I haven't followed that game any real extent, so it's just a wild guess, though. ;)
  • King_Edward 15 Dec 2010 16:14:11 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    We all agree that Enslaved was nothing more than digital twatishness though, right?
  • Machetazo 15 Dec 2010 16:15:00 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rauha wrote:
    That new Naruta game is actually supposed to be very good.

/Liked the Majin demo :(
    The Naruto games are very good fun. They're very flexible experiences (you can put little/a lot of time in to playing, and you're likely to have fun, either way), that are bound to appeal to a broad audience. You don't need to be versed at all in the franchise, try a demo and see what you think of the gameplay, would be my advice for that. It's not a particularly shallow brawler, either. I'd say it's approachable, and packed with content.
  • Rauha 15 Dec 2010 16:19:43 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Machetazo wrote:
    Do you think that GR also fall under the title of "overseas studios"? I don't know where they're based, geographically, but I think we can probably count Majin amongst those NBG's less than pleased with.

GR is in Japan, Tokyo based iirc.
  • Syrette 15 Dec 2010 19:12:11 43,295 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh for fuck's sake, don't make it console exclusive.

• Rauha 15 Dec 2010 19:38:11 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    foreverafternothing wrote:
    Oh for fuck's sake, don't make it console exclusive.

Little point it being on 360 as well if it's Japan only tbh. Sales wouldn't cover porting costs.
  • Page

of 16 First / Last

Previous