Jazz Page 4

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• UncleLou Moderator 15 Aug 2011 11:06:24 35,546 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Saw the Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble live a couple of months ago, was nice!

Regarding "not cheery" Jazz, I don't really know where to start. :) Coltrane might be a start, but he's quite a bit "wilder" than Brubeck/Paul Desmond.

And Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" is a very calm, "serious" album. And achingly beautiful.
  • Blaketown 15 Aug 2011 11:10:50 4,647 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, when asked for recommendations, I pretty much always say Kind Of Blue by Miles and Olé by 'Trane as they are my favourite Jazz records.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Lateralaus 15 Aug 2011 11:13:35 1,091 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers! I'll get checking them out now.

The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble are the best musical discovery I've come across all year and they are definitely in my top 5 favourite groups now. I would LOVE to see them live but I doubt they'll ever come to Northern Ireland.
  • boo 15 Aug 2011 11:22:08 11,777 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'll have to look them out - not heard of them before.

Thread bumpage has just resulted in me putting 'Knee Deep In The North Sea' on again (see previous page), and Amazon are doing Isla for about £6.50, so have just ordered that.

What's the word on Coltrane? I've got 'A Love Supreme', and one or two snippets on compilations, but he's never really 'clicked' with me. Does he grow on you, or is it a bit of a marmite situation?

Just Another Lego Blog

• Lateralaus 15 Aug 2011 11:32:19 1,091 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    boo wrote:
    I'll have to look them out - not heard of them before.

Thread bumpage has just resulted in me putting 'Knee Deep In The North Sea' on again (see previous page), and Amazon are doing Isla for about £6.50, so have just ordered that.

What's the word on Coltrane? I've got 'A Love Supreme', and one or two snippets on compilations, but he's never really 'clicked' with me. Does he grow on you, or is it a bit of a marmite situation?

I'm a complete Jazz n00b to be honest. The Kilimanjaro darkjazz ensemble are very dark, experimental, ambient jazz. I absolutely LOVE them, check out the track Sharbath Gula, it's one of my favourite tracks.
  • boo 15 Aug 2011 11:35:54 11,777 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just tried to have a look, but can't get the MySpace player happening at work. Will spotify them when I get home.

Also, Portico fans, just seen they're gigging at the moment, and will be playing the Purcell Rooms in November as part of the London Jazz Festival.

/considers Mrs Boo's views on jazz
    /just buys the one ticket

Just Another Lego Blog

• Blaketown 15 Aug 2011 11:40:41 4,647 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    boo wrote:

Must admit to not really getting on with Love Supreme either. Try Olé, it's the first of his albums that clicked with me. Coltrane definitely takes more work than most though.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Lateralaus 15 Aug 2011 11:40:50 1,091 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Here's the link to spotify

I'm going to have to see if there are any Jazz clubs in Belfast, I've never been in one but wouldn't mind paying a visit to one.

lol, I'm forever buying single tickets. My friends are never interested in the gigs I want to go to.
  • coda 15 Aug 2011 12:08:52 1,868 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anyone who's into saxophone should definitely check out Matana Roberts. Her new album is really good.
  • UncleLou Moderator 15 Aug 2011 13:02:47 35,546 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    boo wrote:

I'd say he grows on you, but then I am the ultimate fanboy. :)

A "better" album to get used to him, if you want, would maybe be this one. It's from the same quartet as A Love Supreme (which is Coltrane's great period, more so than his a little earlier, more traditional stuff), but more accessible than A Love Supreme.
  • Mr_Sleep 15 Aug 2011 13:16:21 17,052 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Personally I think getting into Coltrane starts with his more traditional stuff, such as Blue Train or My Favourite Things.

You are a factory of sadness.

• boo 15 Aug 2011 13:40:17 11,777 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ok, just checked the iPod, and apart from A Love Supreme, I have:

Blue Train
    Russian Lullaby
    I Love You
    Time Was
    You Leave Me Breathless
    Soft Light And Sweet Music
    I'm Old Fashioned

I'll give that lot a go and report back.

Just Another Lego Blog

• boo 15 Aug 2011 14:11:43 11,777 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blue Train was great. Broadly speaking I can live with a bit of 'scooby dooby' melody as long as the rhythm section is laying down a nice solid foundation, which they did. Like that.

Got Russian Lullaby on at the mo, and there's a bit too much shredding going on for my liking. Just listening to that ride cymbal's making my heart have palpitations!

Just Another Lego Blog

• UncleLou Moderator 15 Aug 2011 14:54:00 35,546 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Personally I think getting into Coltrane starts with his more traditional stuff, such as Blue Train or My Favourite Things.

My Favourite Things is a great suggestion, the studio version of the title track on that album is already way beyond his earlier records, but it's still totally listenable.

boo:
    I see what you mean with the rhythm section - worth noting though that a "steady" rhythm was one of the things they felt was a restriction, and hence they more and more replaced it with what they called a "pulse". Very late Coltrane stuff aside, there always is that pulse that kind of circles around the more steady rhythm (which isn't played out anymore).

Another thing, just for the record: the albums (?) you listed aren't official ones (apart from Blue Train, if it's the Blue Note one), there's lots of dubious (in sound quality) Coltrane stuff on budget labels, and often they are compilations where the tracks aren't from the same period, which can make them difficult to listen to.
  • boo 15 Aug 2011 15:06:08 11,777 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ok - cheers.
    Blue Train's from 'The Best of Blue Note', while the other stuff is from something called 'Original Jazz Masters : John Coltrane' - probably an HMV compilation or somesuch.

Gives a flavour of what he was about though. There's a real fine line between amazing playing, and nonsense. Picked up 'Two Blocks From The Edge' by Michael Brecker some years ago, after a glowing review...

Not as unlistenable as Trout Mask Replica by Beefheart, but it ran it a close second!

Just Another Lego Blog

• BravoGolf Moderator 15 Aug 2011 15:28:41 12,740 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What do you lot think of Don Ellis? I love the alternating and increasingly complex meters he introduces into his music. His Live at Monterey recording is superb. Electric Bath is good but I find myself listing to the former more so.
  • wizbob 15 Aug 2011 16:03:56 779 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Trout Mask Replica is just really dense, it's very rewarding if you put some time into it.
  • boo 5 Mar 2012 22:37:19 11,777 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lateralaus wrote:
    Here's the link to spotify
    Just listening to this - it's the Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble, and I think I'm listening to stuff from the 'From The Stairwell' album.

It's superb! A mix of 40's noir film soundtracks, Jan Garbarek style jazz, with backing that sounds like Aim (if you've not heard of Aim, go and look up 'Cold Water Music').

The KDE album's gone straight on my birthday list...

Just Another Lego Blog

• UncleLou Moderator 19 Mar 2012 11:11:27 35,546 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago

Bought this the other day, and it's utterly lovely. I don't really care a lot for the typical "ECM sound" these days, but there are exceptions.

Next time I expect you lot to post about fantastic British jazz musicians! ;) Only spotted him by accident.

Edited by UncleLou at 11:12:24 19-03-2012
  • boo 20 Jun 2012 11:34:05 11,777 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    High five and Jaffa cakes to Jonsaan!

Just been flicking through the ipod and came up with 'We Get Requests' by the Oscar Peterson Trio, which I bought at Jonsaan's suggestion a while back.

Great stuff - how many fingers did Peterson have on his right hand? I'm guessing about 73!

Just Another Lego Blog

• BillMurray 25 Jun 2012 22:47:29 7,729 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago

Art Tatum is the absolute man.
  • BillMurray 16 Nov 2012 00:16:41 7,729 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago

S'funny what you find when you're searching for Italian hardcore bands.

This is smooth as hell.
  • BillMurray 2 Mar 2013 02:59:47 7,729 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've been listening to Grant Green all evening after reading a thread about what music you put on whilst making moves on a chick. I shall definitely take advice from that thread. He's fantastic.
  • kalel 14 Mar 2013 10:58:23 87,501 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Finding Jazz to be my go to music more and more these days. I think it's because more often than not I'm putting my headphones or stereo on to calm down and have a moment to think, and jazz just always seems right.

I have a very limited selection though. A Kind of Blue was my first real love (originally enough) and from there I discovered other favourites like Cannonball Adderley 'Somethin' Else', and John Coltane's 'Ballads' which is my absolute favourite jazz album.

I know the phrase "smooth jazz" has all kind of negative connotations, but certainly the more mellow end of 'cool' is what does it for me. I don't mind a bit of upbeat but nothing too mental or hectic. Big band does my head in.

Any recommendations in that style would be hugely appreciated.
  • Deleted user 14 March 2013 11:11:00
    kalel wrote:
    Finding Jazz to be my go to music more and more these days. I think it's because more often than not I'm putting my headphones or stereo on to calm down and have a moment to think, and jazz just always seems right.

I have a very limited selection though. A Kind of Blue was my first real love (originally enough) and from there I discovered other favourites like Cannonball Adderley 'Somethin' Else', and John Coltane's 'Ballads' which is my absolute favourite jazz album.

I know the phrase "smooth jazz" has all kind of negative connotations, but certainly the more mellow end of 'cool' is what does it for me. I don't mind a bit of upbeat but nothing too mental or hectic. Big band does my head in.

Any recommendations in that style would be hugely appreciated.
    Exactly this, weird, have been thinking the same thing for days. Oddly enough A Kind of Blue has been playing in my car all week. I too am on the lookout for more.
  • kalel 14 Mar 2013 11:14:08 87,501 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Have you got Ballads? If not, get it. It's soooooooo chill...
  • craigy Staff 14 Mar 2013 11:18:13 7,646 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you've got a Spotify subscription I'd recommend grabbing the Blue Note app -- I've found some lovely stuff through it. You can filter by instrument type and decade, which is really nice.
  • Mr_Sleep 14 Mar 2013 11:28:21 17,052 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Lush Life and Blue Train are both fairly relaxed Coltrane albums. Lush Life especially.

The following Miles Davis albums will probably suit too: Round about Midnight, Birth of the Cool, Sketches of Spain.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 11:30:39 14-03-2013

You are a factory of sadness.

• Blaketown 14 Mar 2013 12:35:49 4,647 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not really "cool" but for chill Jazz I love a bit of Oscar Peterson. Night Train never fails to mellow the mind.

Like Kind Of Blue it's both accessible as well as technically astonishing.

Also, Journey In Satchidananda by Alice Coltrane is a go to relaxation album for me. Though it's a bit more "Free", it's just beautiful and easily the most accessible of the spiritual jazz albums of that era.

Edited by Blaketown at 12:40:46 14-03-2013

Brap, brap, old chap.

• kalel 14 Mar 2013 12:38:08 87,501 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have Birth of the Cool. I like it, but it is a bit more on the manic side of the sort of thing I like.

Plenty to keep me going here though. Thanks.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last