Jazz Page 5

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• FuzzyDuck 14 Mar 2013 14:01:41 4,217 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My fave mellow jazz tune is probably'Fee Fi Fo Fum' by Wayne Shorter (from the 'Speak No Evil' album. That main hook is one of my favourite melodies ever written.

Not in the vein you were looking for, but also of the blissfully mellow variety is Pat Metheny's 'James' from the 'Offramp' record. It's just so airy and joyful.

Edited by FuzzyDuck at 14:02:15 14-03-2013

Edited by FuzzyDuck at 14:02:36 14-03-2013
  • Blaketown 14 Mar 2013 14:06:43 4,674 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    boo wrote:
    High five and Jaffa cakes to Jonsaan!

Just been flicking through the ipod and came up with 'We Get Requests' by the Oscar Peterson Trio, which I bought at Jonsaan's suggestion a while back.

Great stuff - how many fingers did Peterson have on his right hand? I'm guessing about 73!
    Just listening to this now. It's great!

Brap, brap, old chap.

• craigy Staff 14 Mar 2013 14:11:25 7,693 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Blaketown props for mentioning Oscar Peterson! Love "Exclusively for my Friends".
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Mar 2013 14:22:49 35,611 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Finding Jazz to be my go to music more and more these days. I think it's because more often than not I'm putting my headphones or stereo on to calm down and have a moment to think, and jazz just always seems right.

I have a very limited selection though. A Kind of Blue was my first real love (originally enough) and from there I discovered other favourites like Cannonball Adderley 'Somethin' Else', and John Coltane's 'Ballads' which is my absolute favourite jazz album.

I know the phrase "smooth jazz" has all kind of negative connotations, but certainly the more mellow end of 'cool' is what does it for me. I don't mind a bit of upbeat but nothing too mental or hectic. Big band does my head in.

Any recommendations in that style would be hugely appreciated.
    An absolute gem are the Shelly Manne & his men at the Black Hawk, 1-7, albums. Should be right up you street, and the sound quality is absolutely astonishing. Available on Emusic rather cheaply, if you have an account there. It's the ultimate cool/west coast live recording.

Also, seeing how you like "Ballads", John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman is a wonderful album.

And while I am it, this is so wonderful:

Oh, and Maiden Voyage (Herbie Hancock) might be something for you. Incredible album.

Edited by UncleLou at 22:58:16 14-03-2013
  • kalel 14 Mar 2013 14:26:54 87,933 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Great, lovely.
  • Blaketown 14 Mar 2013 14:30:21 4,674 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Maiden Voyage! Yes totally that. Love that album.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• UncleLou Moderator 14 Mar 2013 14:32:13 35,611 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    And someone who hasn't died 160 years ago, Matthew Halsall:

• kalel 14 Mar 2013 14:33:27 87,933 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Annnnd I'm listening to Live at the Black Hawk as we speak. Lovely.
  • Deleted user 14 March 2013 14:36:06
    Mingus Ah Um.
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Mar 2013 14:46:26 35,611 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Mingus Ah Um.
    A great album, but I am not so sure about the cool/smooth/mellow factor! ;-)

• Blaketown 14 Mar 2013 14:47:57 4,674 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @UncleLou What other newer stuff is worth checking out then? I find it really hard to even know where to look.

The only proper jazz albums I heard last year was the Christian Scott album "Christian aTunde Adjuah" which I absolutely loved & the Ravi Coltrane album which, again, was great. Outside of that I've not really heard anything.

Edit: Actually having given it more thought Badbadnotgood's "BBNG2" was probably my favourite album of last year and that is totally jazz. Also Neneh Cherry did that album with The Thing that was cool.
    Edit2: There was also the Samuel Yirga album "Guzo" which I liked too so just ignore me I'm talking out of my arse when I say I've not really heard anything. :)

Edited by Blaketown at 14:56:19 14-03-2013

Brap, brap, old chap.

• UncleLou Moderator 14 Mar 2013 14:58:03 35,611 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Blaketown A few videos, because talking about music only gets us so far :)

• Blaketown 14 Mar 2013 15:00:16 4,674 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sweet. Will check them out later.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• kalel 22 Apr 2013 14:51:32 87,933 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My love for jazz is growing and growing. Got a few recommendations from the last time I bought this up and have really been enjoying Lush Life. John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman and Maiden Voyage.

A couple of recommendations of things I've been enjoying in addition - Park Avenue South by Dave Brubeck is going very well with the sunshine. I'm loving Miles Davis's Sketches of Spain which is obviously very thematic but great if you're in the mood, and also his Someday my Prince Will Come is awesome.

Davis is obviously incredibly highly respected but I do find some of his stuff SO hard to listen to. Had a listen of Bitches Brue and I think it made me lose a little sanity.
  • Mr_Sleep 22 Apr 2013 15:05:04 17,097 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I'm loving Miles Davis's Sketches of Spain which is obviously very thematic but great if you're in the mood
    I absolutely love Sketches of Spain, there's a certain easy listening aspect to it but it's so dramatic and considered that it pulls through as a classic. If you like the latin tinged jazz then I recommend Olé by Coltrane, it's quite an aggressive and more challenging record than Sketches but it's just so fucking good. If you don't get the whole record then Naima from Giant Steps is wonderful.

Davis is obviously incredibly highly respected but I do find some of his stuff SO hard to listen to. Had a listen of Bitches Brue and I think it made me lose a little sanity.
    Heh, it only gets harder throughout the seventies, his whole electronic period is pretty aurally challenging. Things like Dark Magus and Agartha are really quite something. Bitches Brew is like Trout Mask Replica or something, it's a record that I love and listen to once in a while but it's not exactly relaxing! Oh and Miles related but not his mad period, I assume I or someone else recommended In A Silent Way?

You are a factory of sadness.

• kalel 22 Apr 2013 15:15:08 87,933 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Didn't see it mentioned. Anything "electric" or "fusion" turns me off a little right now. Still need to be relatively easy listening for my fresh ears.
  • Blaketown 22 Apr 2013 15:21:34 4,674 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Even something like Herbie's Headhunters?

That's fusion but it's plenty easy to listen to.

It's also the second best use of a beer bottle ever.

Edited by Blaketown at 15:21:49 22-04-2013

Brap, brap, old chap.

• kalel 22 Apr 2013 15:22:34 87,933 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have Headhunters back from my druggy days. I like it, but it's not what I'd listen to when I'm in a Jazz mood.
  • Mr_Sleep 22 Apr 2013 15:24:58 17,097 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    In that case, In A Silent Way might not quite be the right fit. It has a beautiful section at the beginning of track 2 18 minutes in but otherwise I suppose it might be a bit too electronic for your current intentions.

You could try a bit of Donald Byrd's Slow Drag which has more of a modal feature. It would be remiss of me not to recommend Roland Kirk's Inflated Tear too. It's quite dramatic in places but the drama is offset by some truly beautiful movements.

• Blaketown 22 Apr 2013 15:57:31 4,674 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @kalel Have you heard the El-P Jazz album High Water? It's good. Not at all abrasive like you might expect from an El-P jazz album.

Or any of the many Madlib Jazz albums? Shades Of Blue is essentially him remixing some old Blue Note records and is absolutely brilliant. But he has done some Jazz albums proper under many pseudonyms. Jackson Conti - Sujinho is great as is Sound Directions - The Funky Side Of Life.

I really like his Last Electro-Acoustic Space Jazz & Percussion Ensemble records too but may be too fusion for what your after.

I would for sure check out Shades Of Blue if you haven't heard it, if nothing else.

Edited by Blaketown at 16:02:20 22-04-2013

Brap, brap, old chap.

• kalel 22 Apr 2013 16:05:42 87,933 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have Shades of Blue. I didn't know about the El-P one though so will check that out.

Jazz and hip hop mix best when it's not too obvious imo. Premier is the master of doing something good with a jazz loop. Some are far too lazy with it.

That said, I do love the first couple of Us3 albums, the second in particular. Us3 were really the band that got me into hip hop in the first place.
  • Blaketown 23 Apr 2013 11:36:26 4,674 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    It would be remiss of me not to recommend Roland Kirk's Inflated Tear too. It's quite dramatic in places but the drama is offset by some truly beautiful movements.
    Listening to this now. It is stunning.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Mr_Sleep 23 Apr 2013 12:03:22 17,097 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Blaketown wrote:
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    It would be remiss of me not to recommend Roland Kirk's Inflated Tear too. It's quite dramatic in places but the drama is offset by some truly beautiful movements.
    Listening to this now. It is stunning.
    Yay, I always feel like he doesn't get his due in the same way as Davis and Coltrane but Inflated Tear, as a musical statement, is up there with many of the other classics for me.

I must go grab the CD and have a listen, I haven't listened to it for a while.

• Blaketown 23 Apr 2013 12:46:43 4,674 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have We Free Kings on CD, and love it but Inflated Tear feels like more as you say, of a coherent musical statement. I guess I should check out more of his Atlantic catalogue.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Mr_Sleep 23 Apr 2013 12:52:04 17,097 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    For musical statements you might also want to check out Pharoah Sanders's Karma if you don't know it. It's pretty wild in places but the second track is such a lovely counterpoint to the first track and while I'm not a religious/spiritual person I can't argue with the intent and skill with which he pulls it off.

Oh and I only have Inflated Tear, I should also check more of his stuff out, my Mingus, Coltrane and Davis collections are pretty immense but I just haven't got around to diving into Kirk's work.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 12:53:06 23-04-2013

• Blaketown 23 Apr 2013 12:55:54 4,674 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah I have Karma & Thembi by Pharoah Sanders. Must admit, I haven't really got into Karma. Perhaps as I got them both at the same time and Thembi was a less challenging listen.

I went through a period of obsessively buying all the spiritual / free jazz I could.

Listening to Karma now. It's not how I remember it at all.

Edited by Blaketown at 13:00:36 23-04-2013

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Razz 9 Apr 2014 23:15:38 61,290 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Can anybody recommend me some relaxing crime Jazz, like a noir type feel. A sax, a piano, a bass and drums.

Something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMnrl0tmd3k

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• boo 9 Apr 2014 23:24:36 11,795 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Might be a bit lively - Johnny Griffin, Hush A Bye.

Just Another Lego Blog

• boo 9 Apr 2014 23:27:54 11,795 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ...and not strictly jazz, but you might like this - I love it.

Sophie Solomon with Ralph Fiennes - The Light That Never Dies.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Razz 9 Apr 2014 23:30:23 61,290 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ah, that's smooth as butter. nice one.

Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Page

of 6 First / Last