Forza 4 Page 2

• Page

of 86 First / Last

• shamblemonkee 12 Dec 2010 17:18:37 14,432 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah deffo agree they need more tracks, don't care where they take them from, bttc, dtm, oz v8s....

but _not_ sidewinders, benchmarks or test-tracks!
  • shamblemonkee 12 Dec 2010 17:19:08 14,432 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Livetext_beta_tester wrote:
    Aren't all career modes in racers utter shite anyway, it's all about the multiplayer.

Just because previous racing game career modes have been poor doesn't mean they all have to be in the future. With that kind of attitude we wouldn't have moved forward from Space Invaders.

I think they need to create a world that is far more involving than the current one. At the moment it feels like the world is a series of single races provided to you for the simple task of making money, buying a faster car and racing the same race with a faster car. It's not exciting in any way and is a total grind fest.

What they need is a world far more like Football Managers, a world with replicas of F1, DTM, BTCC, WTCC, WRC, Nascar etc. Obviously I'm not saying they need to purchase all these as licences, I'm saying they need a similar tier system with real goals. These championships should all be updating throughout the season, even when you aren't racing in them, so that you can see the drivers that you want to match up to in future races. The Forza team need to get away from these generic "4WD league" or whatever forgettable name they call it and focus on creating some really interesting perpetual championships.

There's no reason that the player couldn't start of in local amatuer leagues at small tracks with cheap cars before progressing to national level touring car style championships, to open wheelers, to F1 style world championships. There certainly no reason not to with the financial backing of MS.

To be honest, it's an addition like this that will get me to buy the next Forza, not 100 new cars and 5 new tracks.

i want to buy your game!
  • steoc4 12 Dec 2010 17:42:16 1,657 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That basically sounds like GRID or any of the TOCA / Race Driver games since about the third one when they expanded beyond BTCC.
  • dylman 12 Dec 2010 17:47:30 278 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bathurst please! I assume the Top Gear test track is a given, considering the TG logo at the end of the trailer.
  • AaronTurner 12 Dec 2010 17:47:33 7,755 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I found their implementation very 'gamey', more like a ladder than any form of career. As I said, I would prefer it to be more in the Football Manager mode where leagues and championships are perpetual and alive even when you aren't taking part and you have a real choice which direction your career moves in. To be frank though, anything would be an improvement over the current model.
  • brokenkey 12 Dec 2010 18:27:14 7,058 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    dylman wrote:
    Bathurst please! I assume the Top Gear test track is a given, considering the TG logo at the end of the trailer.

Look closely at the background of this screenshot

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• lovely2cu 12 Dec 2010 18:53:57 1,194 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    The racing crown is now Forza's to consolidate. PD have left the door wide-open and seeing as Turn 10 has presumably heard of project management they should be able to cruise it.
    Fixed
  • WinterSnowblind 12 Dec 2010 21:22:08 1,243 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    dylman wrote:

Look closely at the background of this screenshot

People have been wondering why it wasn't added to FM3. Considering we pretty much knew they were developing this one, I think it's pretty safe to say they didn't bother creating any new tracks for 3 because they were already working on this and obviously the Top Gear test track is going to be one of them.
  • Psychotext 12 Dec 2010 21:54:03 54,301 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm betting it'll have both the top gear tracks. UK and US... not seen the US one yet, though I did read a bit about it in Top Gear Magazine.
  • corstick 13 Dec 2010 10:17:15 3,263 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FooAtari wrote:
    Logitech wheel support or no sale. You hear me Microsoft!
  • corstick 13 Dec 2010 10:27:06 3,263 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Also:

Dynamic weather, practice/qualifying and proper pitstops.

Get rid of the god awful multiplayer hoppers and bring back custom public lobbies. Whoever thought hoppers were a good idea should no longer be in employment.

Oh and some semblance of equality in the PI of AWD lest it becomes Audi Motorsport 4 again.
  • ronuds 13 Dec 2010 16:47:34 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm not in the weather or day/night camp. I don't think Forza needs to try and make a game that's simply 1 for 1 with the competition. Do what you're doing, T10 - we don't need a bunch of tacked-on features just so you can have a bigger checklist than someone else. I'd rather the features the game does have are polished to the teeth. No standard vs. premium cars, either!

More tracks would definitely be of benefit, though.
  • billythekid 13 Dec 2010 16:51:56 11,146 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Banger racing please. Might keep the retards away from proper races. It would be fun too.
  • shamblemonkee 13 Dec 2010 17:02:31 14,432 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    I'm not in the weather or day/night camp. I don't think Forza needs to try and make a game that's simply 1 for 1 with the competition. Do what you're doing, T10 - we don't need a bunch of tacked-on features just so you can have a bigger checklist than someone else. I'd rather the features the game does have are polished to the teeth. No standard vs. premium cars, either!

But real dynamic weather adds so much, this is proven in f1 2010, especially in a race that's longer than those sodding stupid 3 lap events.....
  • Spin_Dr_Wolf 13 Dec 2010 17:03:09 6,170 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    EddieBear wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    EddieBear wrote:
    Unless you've got 3 tvs in your set up, I don't see how headtracking would work.
    I'm assuming the people who say things like this have never actually tried headtracking. It amplifies the movements your head is making and works just fine.

You're right, I haven't tried it and I didn't realise that it amplies your movements. Ignore me and carry on!
    Thats exactly what i'm worried about, i don't want to have my head movements used as the control input, because i move my head to look at other things. Get distracted for a split second by a noise in another room from your missus or dog, BAM straight into a tyre wall or something equally race ruining. That doesn't sound like fun.
  • ronuds 13 Dec 2010 17:10:46 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    ronuds wrote:

But real dynamic weather adds so much, this is proven in f1 2010, especially in a race that's longer than those sodding stupid 3 lap events.....

I'm just saying - if you're not going to do it right, don't do it at all. I'd welcome the addition, even though I'm not a particularly good racer. :p
  • shamblemonkee 13 Dec 2010 17:52:26 14,432 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah agree, simply altering the lightmap or making the track shiny and reducing traction isn't going to cut it anymore
  • AaronTurner 13 Dec 2010 17:56:26 7,755 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Spin Dr Wolf wrote:
    EddieBear wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    EddieBear wrote:
    Unless you've got 3 tvs in your set up, I don't see how headtracking would work.
    I'm assuming the people who say things like this have never actually tried headtracking. It amplifies the movements your head is making and works just fine.

You're right, I haven't tried it and I didn't realise that it amplies your movements. Ignore me and carry on!
    Thats exactly what i'm worried about, i don't want to have my head movements used as the control input, because i move my head to look at other things. Get distracted for a split second by a noise in another room from your missus or dog, BAM straight into a tyre wall or something equally race ruining. That doesn't sound like fun.

Guess what, if you move your head to look at other things you won't be looking at the screen.
  • wobbly_Bob 13 Dec 2010 20:06:32 1,799 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I won't be buying this unless they fix the stupid oh dear I hit the grass/sand/mud/dust and even though i'm doing over 200 MPH I have come to an almost instant halt! Look, just put in a time dedution like in real races when you stay off the track!

Also it's 2010 and racing games now have: day/night cycles, cars that have AI and do not go around scalextric bumper cars, and weather effects! And while you are at it please include a sense of speed so that I feel like I am really bombing around the track in a high powered beast of a car ( see SHIFT ).
  • DFawkes 13 Dec 2010 22:22:52 23,040 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can't say I've ever experienced that sudden stopping issue, and the AI has always been fantastic for me. In fact it was one of my favourite things, because if you use the rewind feature you can see the other cars changing their approach for the same corner.

I would quite like weather effects though, even just a wet track as it is a different experience.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Blaizefm 13 Dec 2010 22:48:36 232 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The AI has got to be better. The gap between hard and medium was just massively dissapointing.
  • el-bandito 13 Dec 2010 22:53:23 497 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Spin Dr Wolf wrote:
    EddieBear wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    EddieBear wrote:

But your head wouldn't be use to control steering input, it would be used as look/view input... in which case your virtual self will be looking out the side window thinking "wtf was that?" as well
  • el-bandito 13 Dec 2010 22:56:43 497 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I won't be buying this unless they fix the stupid oh dear I hit the grass/sand/mud/dust and even though i'm doing over 200 MPH I have come to an almost instant halt!

Only happens, as far as I can tell, when there's a clear advantage to be had by cutting the corner... glad it's there myself
  • Psychotext 13 Dec 2010 23:34:09 54,301 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This seems to be confirmation that the Top Gear UK track is in, that, or the tree line is a massive co-incidence.

http://i.imgur.com/iS4sQ.gif
  • GloatingSwine 14 Dec 2010 00:32:31 2,668 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    el bandito wrote:
    I won't be buying this unless they fix the stupid oh dear I hit the grass/sand/mud/dust and even though i'm doing over 200 MPH I have come to an almost instant halt!

Only happens, as far as I can tell, when there's a clear advantage to be had by cutting the corner... glad it's there myself

Although it might be better to just black flag you for doing it. (Races are too short for a stop-go penalty, by the time you'd been through the pits for your mandated stop you'd never place anyway, so you might as well quit and restart anyway)
  • Psychotext 14 Dec 2010 00:46:50 54,301 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That would fucking suck if you did it by accident (bumped off the road / spun on braking). It might not be realistic, but at least the current method doesn't screw people too hard.
  • Scimarad 14 Dec 2010 08:29:02 8,551 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Less psychotic AI, please. I got really sick of the AI just randomly taking me out all the time in F3. Oh and if they don't let non-gold subscribers trade cars or access the storefront they can forget it...
  • Zerobob 14 Dec 2010 10:28:17 1,606 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    I won't be buying this unless they fix the stupid oh dear I hit the grass/sand/mud/dust and even though i'm doing over 200 MPH I have come to an almost instant halt! Look, just put in a time dedution like in real races when you stay off the track!

Also it's 2010 and racing games now have: day/night cycles, cars that have AI and do not go around scalextric bumper cars, and weather effects! And while you are at it please include a sense of speed so that I feel like I am really bombing around the track in a high powered beast of a car ( see SHIFT ).

I've picked F3 up again recently and loving it! Not sure why I stopped playing 6 months ago. I think it was because I'd spend all my hard-earned credits on a R3 car to take part in an R3 race, for example, win the R3 race, and then get awarded a slightly better R3 car as a prize. Annoying progression. It's happened about 6 times so far.

Anyway, yeah it is a bit stupid how on some surfaces (seemingly at random) you just pretty much stop regardless of the speed you're doing. It seems to me they added this in afterwards to stop easy cheating. Whether this is a good thing or bad thing I'm not sure, but yeah time penalties would have been better.

Lack of weather doesn't exactly add to the overall feeling that F3 is a showcase racing game for the X360, but then I'm not sure if I like weather effects. Yes, rain and night time can change things up a bit, but in my experience its annoying when its randomly raining and/or its dark half the bloody time on otherwise great tracks. I mean most actual motorsport doesn't take place in harsh conditions or at night, apart from endurance racing! In Red Dead redemption, for example, I hated it when glorious sunny vistas were ruined more than half the time by rain and darkness...bring on the horrible muddy textures! Such a waste.

I'm not sure how you can criticise F3's AI compared to other racing games. I've been thoroughly impressed by it above all else! The AI cars understand the racing line in terms of when to back off or fight for position on corners. If you play bumper cars you will end up knocking panels off your car left right and centre (or totalling it) and then rightly punished for it when you need to pay to fix your car. I think your AI / bumper car comments would be much more appropriately aimed at the just-released Gran Turismo 5. Forza 3 (which is over a year old may I remind you) absolutely slays GT5 in terms of AI and damage.

In terms of sense of speed I think Forza achieves that; have you driven the Ferarri FXX or an 'X' class car?! Forza's 60fps really helps give sense of speed, just like GT. I don't want crappy cheap motion blur all the time. I'm sure there's even a little "woosh" sound when you go under fly-over bridges / signs at high speed. The only thing I think F3 is missing is the sound of the wind buffeting off your car at high speed which is very effective in GT.
  • shamblemonkee 14 Dec 2010 10:51:12 14,432 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    AI Difficulty: I'd actually like there to be a further grade of difficulty, on most tracks hard is not fast enough - the AI still brakes way too early (which is the most common cause of crashes in single player games for me). That said it did seem to depend on the track, Motegi it's lightning fast on, while laguna seca it's glacial. Even better would be a slider to scale dificulty instead of 4 or 5 set levels.

Race AI: Was a great improvement and if you race sensibly it will mostly play fair, only turning in on you occasionally.. I'd like to see a more human element added to it though, I think Codemasters lead in this respect, with drivers fighting it out, covering realistically and sometimes making errors.

Sound: I think sound is the same as the rest of the game - totally competent but just missing tat little bit extra - I felt there needed to be more emphasis of the slight rattles, judders, whines and other cacophony of noises that supplement the roar of the engine....

• Page

of 86 First / Last