Mass Effect 3 Page 4

• Page

of 99 First / Last

• Genji 11 Dec 2010 11:24:05 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    _Price_ wrote:
    I thought it'd be as simple as cutting whoever gets killed out of the game.
    Just remove an entire character and their backstory, personality, romance, out of the game entirely? I sure hope not!

But I don't really see how they can keep them and retain continuity. Unless they pull the Lazarus thing for your entire crew. But if they did do that, it would kind of cheapen the whole "suicide mission" thing in ME2.
  • CosmicFuzz 11 Dec 2010 11:27:35 24,394 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's the way I see it. If they die in ME2, then they're dead in ME3. Gives greater replayability to go back to ME2 and try and keep them alive.

I see your point that if the entire squad died, it would be a bit lonely in ME3...

Everyone knows Jack Thompson - but how did he become the game-blaming activist he is today? Read Part One of my new mini-series!

• Genji 11 Dec 2010 11:32:10 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hey, all of mine survived. I was just wondering - because it's possible for most of them to *not* survive - whether any of them could be playable in ME3.

Maybe, if the character is ME3 playable (say, Garrus) they could just say he was presumed dead, but got back through the relay by... uhh... riding on an escaping collector ship? He's probably awesome enough to do that. :D
  • CosmicFuzz 11 Dec 2010 11:36:51 24,394 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah all mine survived too. Although if they do die in ME2 but somehow survive into ME3 that will just take any tension away from it all. I do hope they have the balls to carry through any deaths. I'm sure they thought about it all when planning it.

Although Garrus could easily do that :)

Everyone knows Jack Thompson - but how did he become the game-blaming activist he is today? Read Part One of my new mini-series!

• Genji 11 Dec 2010 11:44:42 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, like I said before, they could make them playable in ME3 by having crew members in that are similar enough to possibly dead ones from ME2, that they wouldn't have to change too much.

Say, a friend of Garrus or something. I'm sure they could make it fit somehow. It'd still be a bit of a copout, though.

Hell, I think they should just make it so that you can't carry over your ME2 save unless everyone survived! :)
  • Genji 11 Dec 2010 11:45:19 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Except Jacob. I could live without seeing Jacob ever again.
  • Petrarch 11 Dec 2010 11:47:47 3,426 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They might go for the option of having the squadmates being sent out by Shepard to get things ready for the Reapers and we instead have to recruit a new team for the final push. That keeps them in the story but side steps having to make duplicate squadmates for each one that might have died and separate story arcs.

Everyone survived in my playthrough though it's what they'll do with Liara to follow on from Lair of the Shadow Broker that interests me - so far she's the only squad member who cannot come to harm in either game.
  • _Price_ 11 Dec 2010 11:48:21 3,074 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Genji wrote:
    _Price_ wrote:
    Just remove an entire character and their backstory, personality, romance, out of the game entirely? I sure hope not!

Not their backstory / key interactions obviously. The fact that they're dead wouldn't wipe them from existance - they just wouldn't be playable.
  • CosmicFuzz 11 Dec 2010 11:48:46 24,394 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm looking forward to replaying it closer to the release of ME3, with all the DLC this time. Hopefully there will be a GOTY or something similar.

And then of course there's the question. Who should I shag?

• ecureuil 11 Dec 2010 11:49:05 76,832 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Damn.. I never played the DLC but I was hoping you could brutally murder her and rape her corpse. Worst character ever.
  • CosmicFuzz 11 Dec 2010 11:50:08 24,394 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Petrarch wrote:
    They might go for the option of having the squadmates being sent out by Shepard to get things ready for the Reapers and we instead have to recruit a new team for the final push. That keeps them in the story but side steps having to make duplicate squadmates for each one that might have died and separate story arcs.

Everyone survived in my playthrough though it's what they'll do with Liara to follow on from Lair of the Shadow Broker that interests me - so far she's the only squad member who cannot come to harm in either game.

Liara was my love interest in the first game, not played Lair of the Shadow Broker yet though. Wonder how she'll fit in with the love triangle that'll probably form in ME3. Hehe, it's getting more and more Japanese in here!

• sirtacos 11 Dec 2010 11:51:23 7,280 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Genji wrote:

Racist
  • Petrarch 11 Dec 2010 11:55:25 3,426 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It would be nice if Kasumi Goto became a proper squad member this time around. As a character she was far more likeable than either Miranda or Jack. A lot of folks were rather disappointed she didn't have proper conversation options on the Normandy.
  • Genji 11 Dec 2010 11:55:59 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    _Price_ wrote:
    Genji wrote:
    _Price_ wrote:

Not their backstory / key interactions obviously. The fact that they're dead wouldn't wipe them from existance - they just wouldn't be playable.
    Well, what I meant was their possible *future* interactions. Killing off an entire playable character would be a fairly big deal. It would mean there being content in ME3 that some players will not be able to see. Dialog trees, romances, even side quests. Would the developers spend that much time making all of that for a character that may not even be in some people's ME3 games?

I hope that's the case, because I want some of the old crew to be playable. Not just stand around saying nothing, or be off on some other mission.
  • Genji 11 Dec 2010 11:57:50 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:
    Genji wrote:

Racist
    But I'm black!*

*May not be true
  • Genji 11 Dec 2010 12:00:21 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Also, I went for Tali in ME2. It was between her and Jack, but Jack reminded me too much of Lisbeth Salander.

And I wanted to see Tali's face! But it was hidden from view in the sexy time. :(
  • _Price_ 11 Dec 2010 12:02:18 3,074 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Genji wrote:
    Would the developers spend that much time making all of that for a character that may not even be in some people's ME3 games?

I don't see why not. It's not as if people won't just be able to start a new game from scratch in ME3 with everybody happy, shiney (even though THE EARTH IS BURNING) and, importantly, alive.
  • Petrarch 11 Dec 2010 12:03:19 3,426 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Genji wrote:

And I wanted to see Tali's face! But it was hidden from view in the sexy time. :(

You wouldn't see it anyway as they never made a model for it. Some folks managed to get the camera angle changed in the PC version with mods and when the mask is removed, there's an indentical one underneath it.
  • ecureuil 11 Dec 2010 12:06:40 76,832 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's better if she keeps her face hidden. Once they remove her mask, her character is finished.
  • Genji 11 Dec 2010 12:07:16 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Petrarch wrote:
    Genji wrote:

You wouldn't see it anyway as they never made a model for it. Some folks managed to get the camera angle changed in the PC version with mods and when the mask is removed, there's an indentical one underneath it.
    That's what I assumed. But I would like to actually see her face if she's in ME3.

And continue banging her.
  • CosmicFuzz 11 Dec 2010 12:20:26 24,394 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Or maybe she just wears a couple of masks at the same time. Sexy!

• WinterSnowblind 11 Dec 2010 17:10:17 1,237 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Liara was my love interest in the first game, not played Lair of the Shadow Broker yet though. Wonder how she'll fit in with the love triangle that'll probably form in ME3. Hehe, it's getting more and more Japanese in here!

They did say there would be ramifications in ME3 if you have two love interests. Personally, I went with Liara from ME1 and decided not to follow any of the romance plots in the second. It'll definitely be interesting to see what happens to you guys who thought you could have Liara AND Tali though :)
  • CosmicFuzz 11 Dec 2010 18:16:25 24,394 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    WinterSnowblind wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:

They did say there would be ramifications in ME3 if you have two love interests. Personally, I went with Liara from ME1 and decided not to follow any of the romance plots in the second. It'll definitely be interesting to see what happens to you guys who thought you could have Liara AND Tali though :)

I'll just keep it quiet! Tali can get Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and Liara can get Tuesday and Thursdays. Weekends can alternate, along with the usual, "urgh, the Council are sending me away again for ANOTHER weekend trip, sorry honey" excuses when needed.

The perfect plan!

• _Price_ 11 Dec 2010 18:24:30 3,074 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Until the little blue Shepards start arriving....
  • CosmicFuzz 11 Dec 2010 18:30:08 24,394 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'll just stick masks on them whenever Tali is about to walk in the room.

• intpleeus 11 Dec 2010 18:33:28 28 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Alright, let's think about this from Bioware's perspective. There is a trade-off between the length of the story and the degree of its possible variations; the more time that is spent creating alternate versions of events, the less time can be spent creating additional events. Bioware have to strike a compromise that delivers a sense of control of events, and yet does not detract from the epic nature of the story. So what characters will return and in what capacity? Who will have cameo roles, and who will be squadmates?

If I were Bioware, then surviving ME2 squadmates who were not possible romantic interests for Shepard would return only in cameo roles. Perhaps they would join Shepard's squad temporarily during a particular mission, but they would otherwise be unimportant to the story. This would allow Bioware to acknowledge their survival in a satisfying way, without their absence radically altering the course of events.

Either Kaiden or Ashley would return as full squadmates. By practically removing them from ME2, Bioware spared themselves difficult continuity issues until ME3. The return to earth could also be used for their respective character arcs. For Ashley, the defence of Earth would parallel her grandfather's (?) failed defence of Shanxi during the first contact war. For Kaiden, he would need to confront the prejudice that many on earth feel toward biotics. In any case, bring back either Kaiden or Ashley would be a much simpler than bringing back any of the ME2 squadmates, since it presents far fewer possible scenarios for the story so far.

Liara is a no-brainer, regardless of whether she is a romantic interest. She is one of the few squadmates who is certain to have reached ME3 still breathing. However, she is likely to preoccupied with Shadow Broker business at the beginning of ME3, and will probably not join Shepard's squad from the beginning.

There is a good chance that Urdnot Wrex will return for the same reason as Kaiden or Ashley. If he did not survive ME1, then his place could be filled by his brother, Urdnot Wreav with little trouble, just like in ME2.
  • Onny 11 Dec 2010 19:33:15 5,697 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm with Genji on this - dead characters could be filled with "lookalikes", although I would hope that it would be a bit more involved than that. For example, assuming we travel to the different major races in an attempt to convince them to join the cause, if Legion died in your playthrough then a new trooper would join your team when you visit the Geth.

I kind of feel like I spent so much time recruiting the team in ME2 that if they weren't major characters in ME3 it wouldn't really feel like time well spent. It also helps that I really liked them! So yeah, I hope they return in some significant manner.

P.s, can't wait to see Earth in the ME universe. The first two games contain some of the greatest environments this generation IMO.
  • terminalterror 11 Dec 2010 23:45:26 18,937 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Whilst I'm curious to see Earth, I really hope that there are plenty more non-Earth locations. There have been plenty of future depictions of Earth in other media, but Mass Effect was great at creating new environments and new civilisations. I always found the humans to be the least interesting race, simply because all Mass Effect can do with humanity is nuance, wheras the other races are entirely new.
  • Deleted user 11 December 2010 23:55:55
    I had no idea you were meant to buy ship upgrades and lost most of my crew :( ThaneFTMFW
  • Page

of 99 First / Last