Mass Effect 3 Page 3

• Page

of 99 First / Last

• INSOMANiAC 10 Dec 2010 19:21:08 3,829 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago

I wouldnt worry about it, theyll just release a shitty rushed PS3 port at the same time as the vastly superior 360 version, like everyone does.

/fanboy baiting

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• The-Bodybuilder 10 Dec 2010 19:39:27 14,225 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    This seems a good place as any to quickly ask - I'm on the verge of getting ME1, because I like the idea of an RPG with flexible dialogue and choice, and this series seems to be pick of the bunch in terms of western RPGs at the moment. However, I'm no sci-fi fan, and never have been. Will that count against my enjoyment of the game (especially since the story and setting seem to be its main appeal)? If so then I won't bother.

I'm no sci-fi fan either; I don't get blade runner, and think all the starwars movies are meh.
    Yet the ME series is now my favourite of all time.
  • ecureuil 10 Dec 2010 19:42:13 76,874 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The PS3 version will take no extra time, that was part of the purpose of the PS3 version of the second game.
  • CosmicFuzz 10 Dec 2010 21:09:46 24,571 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, it's so they can released ME3 at the same time on both.

Everyone knows Jack Thompson - but how did he become the game-blaming activist he is today? Read Part One of my new mini-series!

• morriss 10 Dec 2010 21:32:11 71,034 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ME3 was put up for pre-order on the EA Store. Gone now. But it said: http://www.vg247.com/2010/12/10/mass-effect-3-pops-up-on-ea-store/#more-133350

EA has posted Mass Effect 3 up on the EA Store.

Someone’s gonna get fired. Well, maybe just an ear chewing. We hope not anyway. Mistakes happen.

Here’s the blurb:

Earth is burning. Striking from beyond known space, a race of terrifying machines have begun their destruction of the human race. As Commander Shepard, an Alliance Marine, your only hope for saving mankind is to rally the civilizations of the galaxy and launch one final mission to take back the Earth.
  • Rauha 10 Dec 2010 21:33:18 4,271 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    PC-exclusive confirmed ;)
  • CosmicFuzz 10 Dec 2010 21:37:22 24,571 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bring it!

Everyone knows Jack Thompson - but how did he become the game-blaming activist he is today? Read Part One of my new mini-series!

• CosmicFuzz 10 Dec 2010 21:37:45 24,571 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Also: sounds like Halo 2 :)

• the_dudefather 10 Dec 2010 21:45:50 9,296 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Remember Eden Prime

(ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

• Scimarad 10 Dec 2010 21:50:24 8,551 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Like we didn't know that would be the focus of the game. The only bit that wasn't obvious is that Earth has already got the shit kicked out of it...
  • intpleeus 10 Dec 2010 21:55:52 28 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I am concerned about the Playstation 3 version. I don't own a PS3: I don't lose out if Mass Effect 3 is an Xbox 360 exclusive. It would be better for me if all of Bioware's resources could be focused on creating the best 360 game possible.

The PS3 is notoriously difficult to develop for, and Bioware has a less than stellar record dealing with technical, graphical, and performance issues -- just look at the original Mass Effect. Even with all the resources and talent Rockstar had to throw at the problem, it is said that Grand Theft Auto IV's regular delays were primarily a consequence of trying to bring the PS3 version up to par. Compound this with all the technical challenges of creating an online component and my concerns grow.

I have no doubt ME3 will be a good game, but probably not as good as it could otherwise be.
  • CosmicFuzz 10 Dec 2010 21:59:20 24,571 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Eh? Do you mean you're concerned about the 360 version because it's being ported to the PS3?

• convercide 10 Dec 2010 22:04:44 6,045 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    intpleeus wrote:
    I am concerned about the Playstation 3 version. I don't own a PS3: I don't lose out if Mass Effect 3 is an Xbox 360 exclusive. It would be better for me if all of Bioware's resources could be focused on creating the best 360 game possible.

The PS3 is notoriously difficult to develop for, and Bioware has a less than stellar record dealing with technical, graphical, and performance issues -- just look at the original Mass Effect. Even with all the resources and talent Rockstar had to throw at the problem, it is said that Grand Theft Auto IV's regular delays were primarily a consequence of trying to bring the PS3 version up to par. Compound this with all the technical challenges of creating an online component and my concerns grow.

I have no doubt ME3 will be a good game, but probably not as good as it could otherwise be.

Are you a Batarian? I have doubts that you're from Earth.

It'll be great no matter which lead platform it's primarily developed for. Look at Castlevania. The PS3 was the lead platform there (at least that what I remember the devs saying) and it looked fantastic on both consoles.

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• intpleeus 10 Dec 2010 22:13:14 28 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    convercide wrote:Are you a Batarian? I have doubts that you're from Earth.

It'll be great no matter which lead platform it's primarily developed for. Look at Castlevania. The PS3 was the lead platform there (at least that what I remember the devs saying) and it looked fantastic on both consoles.

In answer to your question: no, more eyes than a human but less than a batarian.

I did not mean to suggest multi-platform games can't be great. I just finished Arkham Asylum a few days ago and it was excellent. Far more goes into determining whether a game is great than what or how many platforms it is released on, but as a general rule, even great games could probably have been better had their creators been able to concentrate on a single platform.

It all depends on a number of other factors that I did not mention, though, e.g. perhaps EA are just throwing that much more money at the project since it is coming on out on PS3, in which case it is arguable that it would not have been any better as a 360 exclusive.
  • Emmit_Assassin 10 Dec 2010 22:15:06 752 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    But I thought the PS3, with its vastly superior Blu Ray drive was going to shit all over the 360 in the all-platform games race?
    I thought the PS3 was going to rival the PC for graphical quality and size of games with its vastly superior Blu Ray drive?
    I thought the PS3's vastly superior Blu Ray drive was going to suck my cock whilst I play Tomb Raider?

No? What do you mean, 'No'?

O.K, I'll stick with my 360 then.

/Still wishes he had the cash for a PS3 and is only actually very jealous of PS3 owners. GT/Killzone how I miss thee.....
  • intpleeus 10 Dec 2010 22:35:41 28 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There is no need for this to degenerate into a debate about whether the Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 is a superior piece of hardware. In ten years, they'll both be rubbish. In the mean time, I hope it is not too controversial to acknowledge that realising the PS3's theoretical potential has proven extremely difficult, and that multi-platform releases are normally superior on the Xbox 360 (for both commercial and technical reasons).
  • morriss 10 Dec 2010 22:39:07 71,034 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A screen grab shows it be multi platform.
  • ecureuil 10 Dec 2010 22:40:04 76,874 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    intpleeus wrote:
    There is no need for this to degenerate into a debate about whether the Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 is a superior piece of hardware.

Especially when the best version of the game will be the PC version.
  • Onny 10 Dec 2010 23:06:46 5,697 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Earth is burning. Striking from beyond known space, a race of terrifying machines have begun their destruction of the human race. As Commander Shepard, an Alliance Marine, your only hope for saving mankind is to rally the civilizations of the galaxy and launch one final mission to take back the Earth.

:o

Hope there's some "in-between" story to fill us in. But Christ - what a way to start! EARTH IS BURNING.
  • Genji 10 Dec 2010 23:09:50 19,689 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Given how hard it was to take out just one reaper in the first two games, one must wonder how the galaxy will deal with thousands of them at once...
  • Onny 10 Dec 2010 23:11:59 5,697 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes. Also, it will be interesting to see why they attack Earth first and not the Citadel. Assuming that's what they did, of course.

Will be interesting to see how your decision at the end of ME2 affects the start of ME3 - hope it's something substantial, and not just "oh hi we researched this reaper gun for you!". I also wonder if your decisions on the fate of the Geth will affect it too. Aaahh - roll on the VGAs!
  • Petrarch 10 Dec 2010 23:40:47 3,429 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd assume they're going the Earth rather than Citadel angle as Humans, while not the first race to destroy a Reaper, they do seem to be the only one that ever stopped them from returning not once, but twice.

It will be interesting to see how it affects the Council, as they'll not be able to cover things up this time. I'm kind of expecting something along the lines of the day is won and the Council is forced to admit they stuck their heads in the sand and endangered everyone in the process.

Regardless of what happens, cue Shep and the Normandy appearing to open up a can of whoop-ass and save the day.
  • _Price_ 11 Dec 2010 00:03:49 3,074 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Despite the cheezy 'only one man can stop them....' blurb it sounds like it could work. This change in dynamic does however really make me wish that ME2 had been even more about building some sort of grand alliance without the tedious 6 Billion Credit Man premise and the focus on kicking ass / taking names in the name of humanity.

Don't get me wrong - the sequel still had a good subtext with the majority of races, but I'll be damned if it wouldn't have been a better idea for it to have kicked-off from a month or so after the Battle for the Citadel with whoever you left in charge trying to convince the rest of the Galaxy to step-up despite problems within their own borders. The story arcs and locations wouldn't even have changed that dramatically, it would just have had a more mature central theme.

/still railing against the whole Collector / 'Human Reaper' thing.
    /rants into the night.
  • Onny 11 Dec 2010 08:44:25 5,697 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hopefully we'll keep the team from ME2 - given the fact that 90% of the game was a recruitment mission, it would make it all feel a lot more worthwhile.

Ah. Can't wait!
  • Genji 11 Dec 2010 08:47:57 19,689 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    But what would happen if you carried an ME2 save over, where some members died in the final bit? Would they just be resurrected, Lazarus-style?

It's not like the first one, where only Ashley or the other guy (can't remember his name) had to die, and possibly Wrex. In ME2, anyone could die if you made the wrong choices, so I don't know how they could then make them playable in ME3.

As far as I know, the only two ME2 crew members that were guaranteed to survive were Shepard (assuming you didn't get the bad ending) and Joker. And the AI thing.
  • WinterSnowblind 11 Dec 2010 10:34:24 1,243 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Onny wrote:
    morriss wrote:

Hope there's some "in-between" story to fill us in. But Christ - what a way to start! EARTH IS BURNING.

Like was already said, this is essentially the same story we had in Halo 2, so I don't think it'll be a problem. First game dealt with the war, the second game kicked off immediatly with the Earth under heavy attacks and they proved to be the best parts of any of the games.

I wonder if we're going to see a new Normandy. I imagine they'll need to update it again for this game but having another new ship come into it would be slightly odd.

And yeah, considering the entire of the second game was essentially recruiting, it'd be quite disapointing if you've lost the entire team only to have to form a new one in this one.
  • Genji 11 Dec 2010 10:42:14 19,689 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah. Of course I'd like to have some of the old faces back. Except maybe Jacob.

I'm just curious to know how they will work it out for ME2-imported save games. It wasn't so much a problem for ME2, because the recruitable carry-overs from ME1 (Garrus and Tali) couldn't die in the first game.

"So you remember Jack from ME2, who died at the end of your game?

Well, say hello to her twin sister Jill!1 She even talks the same!"
  • WinterSnowblind 11 Dec 2010 11:19:58 1,243 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It was rather disappointing how little your choices from ME1 impacted the second game, most of them only resulting in emails. They did say ME2 was designed with the third game more in mind, which is obvious enough from the load screens and such that directly mention ME3.

But the party thing is a mystery and it's why I'm worried that you'll be getting mostly a new team. The old guys will probably just hang around on the ship and occasionally say something.
  • _Price_ 11 Dec 2010 11:21:14 3,074 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought it'd be as simple as cutting whoever gets killed out of the game.

In fact I just assumed (however wrongly) that was the whole purpose of trying complete a 'perfect' game in ME2 - so that you'll have a full squad in time for ME3....
  • Genji 11 Dec 2010 11:22:11 19,689 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I did love how Garrus turned up in ME2. That was completely unexpected for me. Although in retrospect, not all that surprising.
  • Page

of 99 First / Last