Top Albums 2010

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous
  • Tom_Servo 5 Dec 2010 01:10:47 17,295 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So what are your favourite records of 2010? Yes I know it's not the end of the year yet, but whatever. Publications are beginning to put up their lists, and I've just done my top 25 elsewhere, so I'm in the mood to create the thread.

If you can, provide a link to your favourite song off the album, and specify the genre too. Also, feel free to write a little blurb to make things a bit more interesting. I doubt anyone wants to read a thread full of lists.

Here's my top 25:

25 | Sufjan Stevens | All Delighted People EP (Heirloom, folk/indie)
    24 | Girls | Broken Dreams Club EP (Carolina, 50s rock and roll/indie)
    23 | Gold Panda | Lucky Shiner (Marriage, electronic/world)
    22 | Liars | Sisterworld (Scarecrows on a Killer Slant, art-rock/punk)
    21 | The Roots | How I Got Over (The Fire, hip-hop)
    20 | Broken Social Scene | Forgiveness Rock Record (Texico Bitches, indie rock)
    19 | How to Dress Well | Love Remains (Decisions, lo-fi R&B)
    18 | Oneohtrix Point Never | Returnal (Pelham Island Road, noise/ambient)
    17 | Class Actress | Journal of Ardency EP (Let Me Take You Out, pop, 80s indie)
    16 | Abe Vigoda | Crush (Crush, gothic indie rock)
    15 | Sleigh Bells | Treats (Infinity Guitars, noise rock/pop)
    14 | James Blake | Klavierwerke EP (I Only Know (What I Know Now), dubstep)
    13 | Spoon | Transference (Written in Reverse, indie rock)
    12 | Actress | Splazsh (Purrple Splazsh, dubstep/techno)
    11 | Best Coast | Crazy For You (I Want To, indie rock)
    10 | Los Campesinos! | Romance Is Boring (The Sea Is a Good Place to Think of the Future, indie rock)
    09 | Deerhunter | Halcyon Digest (He Would Have Laughed, indie rock)
    08 | Florrie | Introduction EP (Give Me Your Love, pop)
    07 | Big Boi | Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty (Shutterbugg, hip-hop)
    06 | The Walkmen | Lisbon (Angela Surf City, indie rock)
    05 | Owen Pallett | Heartland (Lewis Takes Off His Shirt, orchestral pop)
    04 | Perfume Genius | Learning (Lookout, Lookout, bedroom piano ballads)
    03 | Menomena | Mines (Killemall, indie rock)
    02 | LCD Soundsystem | This Is Happening (Dance Yrself Clean, dance/indie)
    01 | Kanye West | My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (Monster, hip-hop)

I don't know what the feeling towards the Kanye album is on here, but I'm going to guess it isn't that positive. Let me start off by saying this: it isn't perfect. Jay-Z sucks on Monster ("LOOOOOOVE... I CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF IT"), the auto-tune 'guitar' solo on Runaway is a good idea that becomes self-indulgent, the Chris Rock skit on the end of Blame Game is useless.

But there's absolutely no faulting the ambition of the album. Almost every song here is wonderful, and there's only a couple of occasions where Kanye over-reaches himself. I can't see how it won't change mainstream hip-hop for the better in the coming years. An ambitious, massively creative album like this is exactly the shot in the arm it needs.

Anyway, there's my list. Hope you enjoy the songs I've linked to, and I look forward to seeing more lists. :)
  • Physically_Insane 5 Dec 2010 01:44:17 8,612 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Do you work for Pitchfork?
  • Futaba 5 Dec 2010 01:47:39 3,461 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Apart from hearing a few of his singles ocassionally, I'd only heard Kanye's second album before listening to this new one. I've listened to Late Registration at least 20 times and I love it, I really dislike MBDTF though (and I don't feel the dislike is influenced by the fact he had his lower row of teeth replaced with diamonds).

However I'm sure you'll disregard this post when I tell you a couple of my favourite albums released this year are:

4x4=12 - Deadmau5
    Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys - My Chemical Romance

:)

Most of this year I've been discovering music (mostly rock/metal) from decades ago rather than listening to new stuff.

Edit: Checking the youtube comments on the Late Registration videos, I'm not the only one with those views on Kayne's newer sound.

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• Tom_Servo 5 Dec 2010 01:50:00 17,295 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Physically_Insane wrote:

The music Godwin.

Got your own list?
  • Deleted user 5 December 2010 01:50:08
    Physically_Insane wrote:

Indeed. I've heard of maybe 3 of those acts in that list.

Also, Kanyewestlol :)
  • coda 5 Dec 2010 02:02:16 1,868 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    1. Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me

The undisputed album of the year.

There's no contest, nothing else came anywhere near to it.
  • Tom_Servo 5 Dec 2010 02:05:30 17,295 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If this thread continues like this, I'll just ask a mod to lock it when I'm next on. I should have known it was a waste of time to expect anything more than sneering replies from the miserable cunts on here.

I made this so people can exchange recommendations and discover new music, but if people want to drag it down to yet another discussion about a website and not actually contribute anything, then fine.
  • Tom_Servo 5 Dec 2010 02:09:42 17,295 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    coda wrote:

See, I considered HOOM to be a disappointment. No doubting that there's some cracking songs on here, and I think an album just of the highlights would be a contender for my AotY, but it's a triple album and that naturally leads to there being an awful lot of filler.
  • Deleted user 5 December 2010 02:11:08
    Chill, both are good options.
  • warlockuk 5 Dec 2010 02:31:25 19,133 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    If this thread continues like this, I'll just ask a mod to lock it when I'm next on. I should have known it was a waste of time to expect anything more than sneering replies from the miserable cunts on here.

I made this so people can exchange recommendations and discover new music, but if people want to drag it down to yet another discussion about a website and not actually contribute anything, then fine.
    Dude, just because someone thinks your list is skewed you don't have to threaten to throw all your toys out of your pram.

My album of the year has to be Norway's Enslaved with Axioma Ethica Odini, without any question. Check out the first track here

Other good albums this year:
    Beer Bear (RUS) - Мёд (Check it out - Another track worth checking out)
    Electric Wizard (UK) - Black Masses
    Agalloch (US) - Marrow of the spirit
    Kylesa (US) - Spiral Shadow
    Cerebral Bore (Scotland) - Maniacal Miscreation
    Eastern Front (UK) - Blood on snow
    The Sword (US) - Warp riders
    Grand Magus (SWE) - Hammer of the north
    Hour of 13 (US) - The ritualist
    Cathedral (UK) - The guessing game

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• coda 5 Dec 2010 02:31:51 1,868 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    coda wrote:

See, I considered HOOM to be a disappointment. No doubting that there's some cracking songs on here, and I think an album just of the highlights would be a contender for my AotY, but it's a triple album and that naturally leads to there being an awful lot of filler.

The album is only 13 songs long, you talk as if it's a 30 song beast or something. :)

The only reason it's a triple album is because the majority of those songs are 7-9mins long so they wouldn't have all fitted on a single disk. Yes, at 180 minutes in length it is long but I never felt a single minute of those 180 was unnecessary.

I can understand it maybe feeling abit unwieldily for some but personally I love how every time I listen to it, it's like I'm listening to it for the first time. I can imagine myself listening to it in 20 years time and it'll still feel the same and I'll still being discovering things within it which I'd never noticed before.
  • riz23 5 Dec 2010 02:32:36 1,149 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    In no order:
    Philip selway - familial
    Jonsi - Go
    Gil Scott-Heron - I'm new here
    Big Boi - Sir lucious left foot: the son of Chico dusty

I know you called out the big Boi album but it really was a great production. was massive in the us but didn't really do the numbers here? Deserves a listen it does.

There is probably more but I cannot think at 2:30am
  • coda 5 Dec 2010 02:38:46 1,868 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    riz23 wrote:

I enjoyed that album but ironically I couldn't stand the title track. The original version is far far superior, it pisses me of it isn't more well known.
  • riz23 5 Dec 2010 02:58:50 1,149 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    coda wrote:
    riz23 wrote:

I enjoyed that album but ironically I couldn't stand the title track. The original version is far far superior, it pisses me of it isn't more well known.

Good call. The album is not class Scott-heron anyway but just the fact that he knocked out gets the thumbs up from me. Saw him live too this year. Fabulous.
  • coda 5 Dec 2010 03:05:12 1,868 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    While were on this subject, another of my Smog favourites. (I've got many)
  • UncleLou Moderator 5 Dec 2010 03:08:32 35,423 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Tallest Man on Earth - Wild Hunt (pretty much my favourite new artist in years)

Strand of Oaks - Pope Killdragon (favourite song is "Sterling", but seeing how this is EG, I'll link to this song about Dan Aykroyd's depressions after Belushi's death, or as the guy on youtube put it, the saddest song about Ghostbusters ever written)

Neil Young - Le Noise

The Extra Lens - Undercard

coda wrote:
    riz23 wrote:

I know and love both versions. ;-)
  • Kovacs77 5 Dec 2010 10:33:12 364 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    Physically_Insane wrote:

Indeed. I've heard of maybe 3 of those acts in that list.

Also, Kanyewestlol :)

I'd say that was more of an indictment of your own limited musical experience in 2010...

Mine in no particular order other than the first two:

Deftones - Diamond Eyes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woAcXSMyCEw&feature=related (my favourite album this year, took everything good about the Deftones and turbo-charged it, added loads of new depth to the sound, and then turned the volume up)

The National - High Violet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfySK7CLEEg

Kanye West - MBDTF http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uayey2PSGpA&feature=related (never loved Kanye before he released this, the best hiphop album in a good few years)

Warpaint - The Fool http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWVOGaakRE8 (lovely retro-styled indie rock, reminds me of the golden age of US alt-rock)

Salem - King Night http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsS-L4y3r-Y (I could put most of the witch-house tracks I've heard in here instead of this one album but I can't be assed to type all those triangles)

Kvelertak - Kvelertak http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-__g2_uMUd8 (there's been some great rock albums this year [1])

Robyn - Body Talk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcNo07Xp8aQ

Big Boi - Lucious Left-Foot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWsvkW6rKkQ (hiphop album of the year, in a universe where Kanye is still just that guy who did that annoying song with that guy who played Ray Charles)

Kylesa - Spiral Shadows http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgdqizS5wCA (there's been some great rock albums this year [2])

The Sword - Warp Riders http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5skCnxOMVOM (blah blah great rock albums [3]!)

Pulled Apart By Horses - s/t http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzDz5wVs8uw (Britain's entry in the Great Rock Albums This Year category. See also, Chickenhawk)

Girl Talk - All Day http://alldaysamples.com/

65daysofstatic - we were exploding anyway http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ag_O1j7jns&feature=related

Sufjan Stevens - The Age of Adz http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0g7R3xqdcM

• Syrette 5 Dec 2010 10:34:54 43,061 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    None of the above.

Aside from 65dos and The Roots.

• graysonavich 5 Dec 2010 10:39:18 7,309 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cheryl Cole & Take That. Can't think of any new ones I've "bought"
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 5 Dec 2010 10:40:46 37,313 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I haven't bought many this year either. Deftones, Fozzy, Iron Maiden, Dethklok and Stone Sour. I think that may well be it.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Deleted user 5 December 2010 10:47:33
    Well I don't really listen to whole albums but these are probably my favourite five songs of the year;

PVT - Window

Ruby Suns - Cranberry (it takes off at 1.52)

Dom - Burn Bridges

Dog & Panther - Love Make

And so I don't come across as some indiecunt, I also love this Olly Murs song.
  • Deleted user 5 December 2010 10:55:21
    I really hate the long songs direction of Joanna Newsom. I wish she'd go back to simple 3 minute songs with dreamy lyrics. Milk Eyed Mender is one of my favourite albums ever.

My top five:

5) Belle & Sebastian - Write About Love. OK, I haven't heard that many new albums this year so it's here to make up the numbers

4) Frightened Rabbit - The Winter of Mixed Drinks Swim Until You Can't See Land

3) Gorillaz - Plastic Beach

2) Admiral Fallow - Boots Met My Face Old Ballons - It builds

1) I Am Kloot - Sky At Night Proof

Not a very varied list. 3 Scottish artists, there.

Need new music.
  • thefilthandthefury 5 Dec 2010 10:57:24 24,950 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Trans-Continental Hustle - Gogol Bordello

That's about it.
  • RabidChild 5 Dec 2010 11:06:39 2,288 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    10 - Tony Da Gatorra vs. Gruff Rhys - The Terror Of Cosmic Loneliness
    9- Grinderman - Grinderman 2
    8- Youth Pictures Of Florence Henderson - Youth Pictures Of Florence Henderson
    7- Interpol - Interpol
    6- LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening
    5- Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
    4- Belle and Sebastian - ...Write About Love
    3- Of Montreal - False Priest
    2- Liars - Sisterworld
    1- Janelle Monae - The Archandroid
  • EddieBear 5 Dec 2010 11:09:57 560 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Haven't to many new albums this year but I've enjoyed:

Efterklang- Magic Chairs (standout song: Alike)
    Pan Sonic- Gravitoni (standout track: Corona)
    Kyte- Dead Waves (standout track: Designed for Damage)
    The National- High Violet (standout track: Bloodbuzz Ohio)
    Liars- Sisterworld (standout track: Scissor)
    Chrome Hoof- Crush Depth (standout track: Third Sun Descendant)
  • coastal 5 Dec 2010 11:39:48 5,377 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Climbers - The Good Ship. A beautiful album. Folky, for those that care before clicking.

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• Deleted user 5 December 2010 12:18:24
    no order except twin shadow is def my favourite record of the year, & got a bit bored scouring for youtubes halfway through. the ciara record would have been top 3 if the leaks had coalesced into an actual release. thought the kanye record was OK but a bit tiring listened all the way through (which I actually did a surprising amount of times.) had to have the fuss explained to me and I hadn't been following all the twitter/SNL/good friday album as event minutiae all that closely so not sure I actually /got/ got it.

15 | yelawolf | trunk muzik (trunk muzik, hip-hop) (pre-album mixtape was better than the rushed out album; excited to see what'll he do on a proper full length)
    14 | jazmine sullivan | love me back (, r&b) (in an alternative universe this'd get all the column inches wasted on the archandroid)
    13 | games | that we can play EP (, electronic) (OPN/joel ford both have amazing ears)
    12 | com truise | cyanide sisters EP (, electronic)
    11 | dj nate | da trak genious (hatas our motivation, electronic)
    10 | quadron | quadron (buster keaton, indie)
    9 | vampire weekend | contra (, indie) (forgot about this record for a lot of the year but ruled my early 2010)
    8 | taylor swift | speak now (dear john, pop) (not as good as the first record, but still immaculately crafted pop songs with smart lyrics)
    7 | jj | nº3 (, indie) (bit slight at times but a good fit for summer)
    6 | k. michelle | what's the 901? (, r&b/hip-hop)
    5 | glasser | ring (tremel, indie)
    4 | the-dream | love king (, r&b/pop) (not as good as the last two records but the-dream's not as good is everyone else's excellent; listened to it a bunch)
    3 | trent reznor & atticus rose | the social network OST (, OST) (where did this come from)
    2 | we love | we love (even if, electronic)
    1 | twin shadow | forget (castles in the snow, slow, indie) (amazing record for summer, winter, whenever, great p.gabriel like pop songs, stoked that they're playing here in january)

edit: forgot underworld, efdemin, john roberts, big boi, art bleek, erykah badu, sadé etc

more into individual tracks these days (blame mp3s) but can't be bothered youtube hunting again so here's 10; good year for the 'night slugs' label

10 | azari & III | indigo, dance
    9 | twin shadow | castles in the snow (com truise remix), electronic
    8 | gatekeeper | optimus maximus, electronic
    7 | white ring | lxC999, electronic
    6 | cheryl cole | parachute (ill blu remix), electronic
    5 | chan dizzy | nuh strange face, dancehall
    4 | diskjokke | rosenrød, electronic
    3 | mosca | nike, electronic
    2 | jamie woon | night air, electronic
    1 | girl unit | wut, electronic
  • morriss 5 Dec 2010 12:41:31 70,911 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Barking.
  • Deleted user 5 December 2010 12:42:51
    ^yup, amazing record. totally forgot about it there.
  • M83J01P97 5 Dec 2010 14:21:11 6,533 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Liars - Sisterworld
    Sleigh Bells - Treats
    Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
    Wavves - King of the Beach
    Autechre - Move of Ten
    M.I.A. - /\/\ /\ Y /\
    How to Dress Well - Love Remains

Edit:

6 | cheryl cole | parachute (ill blu remix), electronic

Yeah I can really see The Wire doing a nice in depth review about her love of 808's and digital sampling...
  • Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous